garmin gpsmap 62s and too many gpx files

_pez

sorry if this is the wrong sub forum, but couldn't see where best to post this. I did try on the Garmin forums, but the topic got closed on me. Funny, they must sell a few gps devices for geocaching, but there's no category on their forum for it. Quite disappointing. I've been happy with my garmin, it's not perfect but it's a lot better than my smartphone.

I download the gpx files from geocaching.com and put them into the garmin/gpx directory

I've just found that if I add a few more gpx files from geocaching.com that the map view starts to misbehave.

In "track up" mode the map will freeze and the arrow will start to move instead. So rather than track up, it becomes "whatever direction I started in" up.

If I change to North up, the arrow/triangle representing my location starts to move, sometimes tracking off the screen. The geocaches don't display and if I have a map it doesn't scroll and I end up with a blank void.

I've tried a factory reset, which has cleared off the map, but it still behaves the same.

I have emailed Garmin support but would be interested to see if anyone else has had the same problem and how they fixed it or dealt with it.

thanks

andrew

A factory reset resets your settings, but does not delete GPX files for you. If there are too many GPX files in your device, simply delete them.

Your device can hold 5,000 geocaches in GPX format, but the maximum number of GPX files is much less. Take a look at pocket queries, which allows you to put up to 1,000 geocaches and their additional waypoints in 2 GPX files. Or take a look at GSAK.

A factory reset resets your settings, but does not delete GPX files for you. If there are too many GPX files in your device, simply delete them.

Your device can hold 5,000 geocaches in GPX format, but the maximum number of GPX files is much less. Take a look at pocket queries, which allows you to put up to 1,000 geocaches and their additional waypoints in 2 GPX files. Or take a look at GSAK.

ahhh thanks mate. I appreciate that. Those gpx files, generated from pocket queries, would most likely have taken me over 5,000 caches.

that limit is good to know, I can work around that