Most finds in a day

antoonvdr

I have been reading some of the profiles of fellow cachers and it is interesting what kind of statistics can be extracted from the logs.

How to get to these high number of finds in one day?

I have read some fantastic examples of 700 finds or more... (even more than 1500...!! :unsure:)

You would think that if you cache for a full 24 hours, you'd have 24x60 minutes = 1440 minutes in a day.

So to do say 700 caches, you would have to find one every 2 minutes.

During these 2 minutes you'd have to sign the log and move to the next cache, some 200 yards away...? No time for food or bathroom breaks ;)

Any tips how to achieve this??

I have been reading some of the profiles of fellow cachers and it is interesting what kind of statistics can be extracted from the logs.

I have read some fantastic examples of 700 finds or more... (even more than 1500...!! :unsure:)

You would think that if you cache for a full 24 hours, you'd have 24x60 minutes = 1440 minutes in a day.

During these 2 minutes you'd have to sign the log and move to the next cache, some 200 yards away...? No time for food or bathroom breaks ;)

Teamwork.

Teamwork.

Let's not forget caffeine.

From experience I did a check on 100 caches in 2 hours. Stop, confirm co-ords, sign the log, pull up next co-ords.

So with speed as the goal, you will use a stamp on the logbook. Have one driver, one stamper, and the third is pulling co'ords for the next cache. Powertrails are usually easy, so no GPS needed once you get within 20 feet or so. Doing that was can cut time in half. 100 caches an hour, so with enough powertrails (and fuel) you could potentially get 1800 in 18 hours.

Your area may not be 'blessed' with something called a 'power trail'. That's where the big numbers can be rolled up.

Then again, 'rolling' has been at the heart of some of the high numbers ... a caching team that actually moves caches on a power trail from one cache to the next (they all tend to be the same) to speed things up. If you can imagine it, it's been done.

Various 'techniques' have been used by some. Others come by their numbers somewhat more legitimately.

In any case, it's a crazy exercise enjoyed by some, and with good teamwork and if the team could somehow simultaneously join in the manic phase of a group bipolar disorder, I'd bet it's possible to achieve some of the numbers I've seen.

From experience I did a check on 100 caches in 2 hours. Stop, confirm co-ords, sign the log, pull up next co-ords.

So with speed as the goal, you will use a stamp on the logbook. Have one driver, one stamper, and the third is pulling co'ords for the next cache. Powertrails are usually easy, so no GPS needed once you get within 20 feet or so. Doing that was can cut time in half. 100 caches an hour, so with enough powertrails (and fuel) you could potentially get 1800 in 18 hours.

So in one relaxing afternoon, the OP could double his or her find count, currently at 426!

So in one relaxing afternoon, the OP could double his or her find count, currently at 426!

That doesn't sound "relaxing" to me. A couple of years ago I came across a log on a power trail that was from someone that had joined two days earlier and after two days had more finds that I had after 8 years of geocaching.

I've never done a PT but I imagine that on some that there wouldn't be the need for someone to pull up the coordinates for the next one. After a couple hundred caches placed 528' apart it would be pretty easy to estimate where the next one could be "found" without ever looking at a GPS.

Some people might log a weekends or a weeks worth of geocaching all on one day and not change the dates on their logs to the actual day they found them.

My max is 100 in a day. I wanted to celebrate our 4000th milestone on our first find in Japan, and I needed to make up ground, fast. I got 250 that weekend but vowed never to do so again.

Nothing against those who enjoy endurance runs on power trails -- it's just not for me.

Doesn't help that I don't believe in copy and paste logs. Toward the end, I was posting excerpts from my spam filter, describing the song that was playing at the moment...it got pretty old.