New Category Idea - Sikh Temples

So far we have covered all the biggest religions in the world, except for one: Sikhism. In addition to its 20 Million followers in India, Sikhs have large communities in the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, Italy and numerous Asian countries. I know of four Sikh temples just miles away from my Californian home town and of two in or near my former German home town.

Personally, I have no affiliation with Sikhism, but I am a strong promoter of equal opportunities and think Sikh temples should get the same recognition as the other 21 congregations that have their own waymark categories. (To be honest: I got the idea because I took some really good pictures of a Sikh Temple in California and have no place to log them as a waymark :rolleyes: )

Edited by Bernd das Brot Team

We have two Sikh Temples approved in the Hindu Temples category.

We do not want to split hairs about the differences, just offering some information from our personal experience.

I am sorry, but I think we have to split some hairs here. If you want to accept Gurdwaras in the Hindu category, you should rename the category "Indian Religions." The origin in India is pretty much the only thing the two religions have in common (just for starters: Sikhism is a monotheistic religion, while Hinduism is famous for its hundreds of gods). I am sorry, but I think registering Gurdwaras as Hindu temples is somewhat like registering synagogues as catholic churches just because both religions had the same origin.

As I said before, I don't know much about this religion and I am not affiliated with it, but in my opinion it is a matter of respect to treat all religions (or at least those that are commonly called "World Religions") equally.

I thought about it for a while and maybe the Hindu Temple category is the solution. Gurdwaras would be a global category, but except for India, the USA, the UK and Australia, there wouldn't be very many in any given country.

I don't know if it is possible to change a category's name, but if we could change it officially to Hindu and Sikh Temples, that might be the solution.