Oregonian's 2003 treasure hunt

oregone

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

I know i'm reaching here, but that part about the menaced prince is really bugging me.

Keanu Reeves played a "prince hal" character in Gus Van Sant's "Your Own Private Idaho." That movie was based on Shakespeare's Henry IV (pt 1, i think). Much of the movie was filmed in the then-abandoned Governor Hotel, which is now, from the rubble, an historic building on 10th street. Standing there and taking a compass reading at 21 degrees leads you pretty much nowhere, though. And it has nothing to do with that basketball theory.

Didn't Lily Wilde used to live in Portland? What's she up to these days?

The 40-mile loop is indeed a ring. Any other rings in town? Ladd's Circle? The I5-I405 freeway makes a ring around downtown. 1977 NBA championship ring?

Drexler Drive near the Rose Quarter used to be called Dribble Drive until about 3 years ago.

The only place in portland that i can think of involving lillies is the flower store on NE Fargo; i think it's called "The Water Lily Garden." But i seem to remember an old tavern that used to be somewhere off Sandy Blvd called "The Lily Pad." I could be way off on that one, though.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Isn't the Nike campus 'ringed' by a running track?

This is reaching, but isn't there a lilly pond at the nature park, not too far from the Nike campus?

So, the track that rings the Nike campus could be this clue also "The swift will sure get lucky. This area puts you near." If you run fast.

Compass reading of 21 degrees from the Mia Hamm building on the Nike campus?

"A stretch of 36 bounds the other side." Is this a highway/road, or could it be that part of the track measures 36 something? 36 yards on the straight part?

I sure wish I was in Portland and could run up there and look around.

Sounds like you guys may be on to something about Nike/Tualatin Hills Nature Park. But I don't think there is public access to the Nike jogging track. Isn't there a track and some athletic fields at the Swim Center on 158th nearby?

19973_600.gif

The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

One thing bothers me about the lily theory.

The lily was a beauty, but you can't relive that fun. When I first saw this I thought about a historical object that is no longer there, like an amusement park ride. Not sure how this can be construed to be a lily pond.

19973_600.gif

Marla wanted me to make a few soccer observations.

Dribbling is something one can do in soccer.

Brandi Chastain was indeed the flashy one (we were there!)

Kristine Lilly plays with Brandi (spelling doesn't match, though).

There are soccer fields off 158th, and a little further as well; wrong direction from Nike.

Wasn't there a drive-in theater there on Merlo road just north of the nature park? It's gone now - I think busses park there now. Don't remember what it was called. That area is roughly 210 degrees from Nike, labeled on compases as "21".

The 3600 block is roughly the southern boundary of the nature park (yes, I am stretching).

hept-hole.gif

O.K. the Nike Cup is played at the Terpenning Swim/Recreation Complex on 158th. On the web site for the event was a pic of Brandi Chastain. I've never walked around the site but I believe there is a nature area/ trail there and I think some small ponds.

The compass bearing clue doesn't necessarily imply it is from the Nike HQ. A flashy All-American has ties to land 'round here. Just means it is nearby.

19973_600.gif

This is a bit off but in the movie Rocky, didn't Appolo Cree (or whatever his name was) wear a flashy uncle sam outfit. That then made me think of Appolo Ono the Olympic speed skater.

There is an Appolo Ridge park quiet near these Nike World Campus locations.

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

Clue No. 9

A short stint

in seven and eight

led the place

to concentrate

Sounds like something used to be smaller or not as good. Then it was combined or something to get bigger, as in a park?

Or the namesake of the place or benefactor of the land held some office in 1907-1908.

Frank W. Benson (back to the Benson Hotel) was Sec. of State during that time before he bacame Gov.

[This message was edited by jammfamm on May 27, 2003 at 08:51 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by pdxmarathonman:

Navdog wrote:

quote:
the Terpenning Swim/Recreation Complex on 158th. .... I've never walked around the site

I think it is high time that you do http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=12920 icon_biggrin.gif

Ha! Ha! It's bad enough you westsiders have all the good parks let alone multi-million dollar recreation complexes. But when they close the only Pizzacato on the outer eastside and we're stuck with kiddy wading pools, life sucks!!! The only consolation for an eastsider like me is that I am only five minutes away from Edgefield Manor. icon_smile.gif

A short stint in seven and eight. This could also mean 1978.

19973_600.gif

In your quest I would urge you not to overlook the obvious here. Many of the numbers thrown out in the clues could be simply lat/long coords. This would be too obvious for us but remember most people don't own a GPS receiver.

For example, the clue:

A short stint

in seven and eight

led the place

to concentrate.

Perhaps these are the numbers that go in the thousandths place in the coords, as having those numbers would really narrow the search(concentrate as in narrow down).

Just throwing this out there...

7047_200.gif

quote:

But only if you find the way

and if you say it right.

Not that it appears to be there, but it would be interesting if the thing was hidden at Champoeg.

Oh.. And I didn't see anything that matched any clues at the THPRD rec. center...

-fractal

2 more cents:

Clue No. 7

A tad too far one way

and success will be denied.

A stretch of 36

bounds the other side.

Assume that this sets two borders. One is a stretch of 36 and a tad the other way is the other.

What if this is the 36 boundary. If you look at a map, the other could be the Willamette. There is a thin slice of land between the two that has several parks in it.

Clue No. 2

Count on the bounty

if it numbers fifteen.

From one of these,

the treasure you'll glean.

Hmmm, guess where river mile 15 is?

Clue No. 4

Do you work alone?

An '03 conference could assist.

Info passes by in dribbles.

Men and women, do persist.

In April Portland hosted the Olmsted Conference. John Olmsted was a famous landscape architect around 1900. He may have planned Willamette park (not sure though). I know the Oregonian knew about the conference because they wrote an article about it. And at about the time they must have been working on clues.

Clue No. 6

The lily was a beauty,

but you can't relive that fun.

This ring stretches outward.

A compass reads 21.

He did plan the 40 mile loop, which happens to run right between bus route 36 and the river. The ring stretchs outward? The loop is under constant expansion.

I've walked the area but didn't see anything that jived with the other clues. Let's see if anyone comes up with anything else.

Good luck!

And the dragon comes in the NNIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHH!!

Backtracking to one of the first clues. As sites go, this one is Bo. Nadia loves it, Don't you know.

There is the Bo Jackson Fitness Center, a three story building at the Nike Campus. But why would there be all these clues hinting at Nike if there is no public access to the Campus, or is there?

19973_600.gif

More backtracking. A menaced prince will have his say.

From dictionary.com: The chief of any body of men; one at the head of a class or profession; one who is pre["e]minent; as, a merchant prince; a prince of players. ``The prince of learning.''

19973_600.gif

I live within spitting distance of Nike and frequently enter the campus on foot on Murray Blvd about 50-75 yards south of the Walker Rd intersection. Where the footpath meets the sidewalk icon_biggrin.gif

Seems public to me.

Also, there is at least one other access point near the northwest corner of the property along Walker Rd.

[This message was edited by pdxmarathonman on May 29, 2003 at 08:11 AM.]

Clue No. 11

This clue's a beauty,

trustworthy to pursue.

Seek knowledge for the hunt's sake.

Happiness comes to you.

Near a college, or library? Colleges have a Campus... so does Nike.

This is also the second time that they've used the word Beauty. Any idea what that could mean?

"And then Trogdor smote the Kerrek, and all was laid to burnination."

There are several roses with "beauty" in their names. Portland is the Rose City right? The lily has also been mentioned. There is also a flower named the Pacific Beauty Oriental Beauty and there is a water lily named Blue Beauty. So a flower garden in one of the parks?

quote:
Originally posted by Navdog:

More backtracking. _ A menaced prince will have his say._

From dictionary.com: The chief of any body of men; one at the head of a class or profession; one who is pre["e]minent; as, a merchant prince; a prince of players. ``The prince of learning.''

http://www.moondog3.com http://www.moondog3.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also going back to this... I dug up this quote from Hamlet:

Hamlet: I am but mad north-northwest.

maybe that's what they mean?

Oh well, doesn't matter, cause it's been found!

----

Never let Common Sense Get in the Way of Determination.

A persistent Aloha man this morning found The Oregonian's 2003 Treasure Hunt Medallion.

Wayne Patterson, 43, and his family have been participating in the annual treasure hunt for 11 years. Patterson found the medallion about 6:20 a.m. at the Nadaka Open Space, a City of Gresham park at about 175th Avenue and Northeast Pacific Street.

Patterson, an unemployed software engineer, wins $1,500 in the contest, which began with daily clues in the paper on May 19. For Patterson and his wife Lisa, the pursuit of the medallion essentially has been a lifelong adventure for their children, ages 9 and 12.

----

There's only a couple that make sense to me now.

Clue No. 10

The medallion calls!

See it glisten upward, bright.

and if you say it right.

Nadaka is off Glisan (Glisten mispronounced)

Clue No. 3

As sites go,

this one is Bo.

Nadia loves it,

don't you know.

References to the movie 10. Nadaka Open Space is 10 acres.

The rest I'm lost on. Who was it that said this thing was around Nike?

"And then Trogdor smote the Kerrek, and all was laid to burnination."

man, I read the answers to the clues in this mornings paper, you'd have to be smokin crack to make the leaps in logic some of them have.

Since I can't find it online I'll copy it here.

Reprinted without permission:

The Oregonian's 2003 Treasure Hunt Medallion was hidden at the Nadaka Open Space, a Gresham park at about 175th Avenue and Northeast Pacific Street. Nadaka gets its name from its days as the Na-Da-Ka Camp Fire camp; the word is short for Nature Day Kamp.

Clue One

Treasure dawns with sunrise!

Now it's quite okay

to plan your course in pj's

Will that be java or o.j.?

Welcoming clue. Explains the debut of clues in The Oregonian's Sunrise edition.

Clue Two

Count on the bounty

if it numbers fifteen

From one of these

the treasure you'll glean.

"Count" and "bounty" suggest "county." This clue narrows the search to Multnomah and Clacamas counties. Both have 15 letters - if you include the word "county."

Clue Three

As sites go,

this one is Bo.

Nadia loves it,

don't you know.

Nadaka Open Space is 10.0 acres. Clue refers to the movie "10" starring Bo Derek and Romania's Nadia Comaneci, who was the first gymnast to score perfect 10s in competition.

Clue Four

Do you work alone

An '03 conference coud assist.

Info passes by in dribbles.

Men and Women, do persist.

Sends hunters east. The Big East Conference won NCAA men's and women's basketball championships this year.

Clue Five

From the rubble a clue!

Which way, which way

A menaced prince

will have his say.

You've got east. Here's north. Refers to Jay North, who has his say as the TV/Film voices of Bamm Bamm Rubble, Dennis the Menace and Prince Turhan of "Arabian Nights."

Clue Six

The lily was a beauty.

But you can't re-live that fun.

This ring stretches outward.

A compass reads 21.

Barrows the search to within 21 miles of last year's site in Camas, Wash. The Camus is a lily. Refers to a drawing compass.

Clue Seven

A tad too far one way

and success will be denied.

A stretch of 36

bounds the other side.

Establishes classic east-side restaurant Tad's Chicken & Dumplinds as eastern boundary and Interstate 205 as western bondary. I-205 Oregon/Washington is 36 miles long.

Clue Eight

A flashy All-American

has ties to land 'round here.

The swift will sure get lucky.

This area puts you near.

Legendary greyhound P.L. Greer was a two-time All-American who won two Flashy Sir Awards. He race 'round Multnomah Greyhound Park (Multnomah Kennel Club), which is within a couple miles of the site.

Clue Nine

A short stint

in seven and eight

led the place

to concentrate.

Identifies Gresham. Joseph Short was Gresham's mayor during 1907-08.

Clue Ten

The medallion calls!

See it glisten upward, bright.

and if you say it right.

Glisan Street is often mispronounced. If you "say it right" it sounds like "glisten." This clue sends you above (north of) Glisan.

Clue Eleven

This clue's a beauty,

trustworthy to pursue.

Seek knowledge for the hunt's sake.

Happiness comes to you.

Beauty, Seek, trustworthy, Pursue, Knowledge and Happy are all words from the Camp Fire Law. Nadaka was once a Camp Fire day camp.

----

Yeah, that's some pretty twisted logic in some of those clues. Guess if that was a geocache you would have to rate it at six stars. Surprisingly, the nearest current cache is almost two miles away, although a temp. disabled cache is 40 mi. away. I guess Slinger wins the pot on the closest cache and it proves that there are still virgin parks in the Portland area!

19973_600.gif

I've looked for the medallion for too many yrs! Couple yrs back I was in the right park just didn't look under the right ivy leaf! Lately, the clues are more of a trivia nature instead of historical. I have more interest in history than trivia, so probably won't pursue future medallions. The original clue writer has retired, but still somewhat involved. There is a yahoo discussion group that is quite entertaining and helps with the clues. I'd rather geocache! At least you have a chance to find it!