backup for the waypoints I added to my gc-app

bůbbles

whenever I solve a mystery cache (and I do lots of them) I save the final coords as an additional waypoint in my gc-app.

PLUS I save them in a personal note in the gc-app too.

PLUS I save them in a mail I send to myself.

PLUS I save them in "my maps" in a google-map I've designed just for this purpose.

so you might imagine I'm not a risk-lover - which in fact I am. just hate to do lots of work for NOTHING.

I go geocaching exclusively with my iphone5 and stationary I work on a macbookpro. I am NOT a premium member.

now years ago my iphone broke down and had to be exchanged. I had a backup - but when I re-installed everything on my new iphone, all the additional waypoints were gone in my gc-app (obviously they were not saved online in my gc-account).

whereas all my personal notes were still existing.

yet of course only the very first mentioned method (final coords shown as waypoints) is the only practical way to use my solved final coords when going geocaching. all the others don't show me those on my gc-app-map.

now my iphone (unlucky me) has to again be exchanged, as it shows a major error - can't be turned off anymore, thus uses up lots of battery.

before I send my iphone back to apple, I want to really make sure, that THIS TIME I don't lose all the many solved, but not-found-yet-final coords as waypoints in my gc-app.

is it still the case, that those will be lost when I reinstall my gc-app on my exchanged iphone? I honestly would break down and cry - SOOO many hours of work would be lost.

anybody out there who can answer my question please? or name me a good alternative solution?

THANK YOU SO MUCH, FOLKS!

Create a folder on your computer, name it "solved puzzles" and save all the GC codes with their solved coordinates in a Notepad or somesuch file. At least they would be there for you to manually enter them again if need be.

Emailing them to yourself if good, but what happens when your email provider is experiencing problems? Or goes kaput completely?

Save the coordinates in something that is not someone else's system.

Heck, I would type them into a Notepad file and print them out.

OR...go to the cache page, and enter the corrected coordinates for each puzzle.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I can't answer the original question about Groundspeak's app, but I keep my solved coordinates in the puzzle cache's edited coordinates, in the personal cache note, and in the "solved unfound puzzles" bookmark list. Then, when I change phones or change apps, I just download the PQ from my "solved unfound puzzles" list and I'm back in business. (Actually, I routinely download that PQ, overwriting the existing data with the new data, so it isn't something I do only when I change phones or change apps.)

thanks for your answers.

@ pup patrol: I can use the "correct the coords in the listing" for the future, alright - but what about all the MANY, MANY, I have solved in the past - all over europe and the rest of the world? would mean a lot of work to retype all those before I send my iphone off. so: sorry, that isn't the solution I am looking for :(

@ niraD: you might not be aware that as a non-premium-member I can't use the pocket queries. and the rest of your solutions also want me to retype my waypoints in the gc-app :(

is there anything that spares me to retype all my already-put-in-waypoints? PLEASE?

thanks for your answers.

@ pup patrol: I can use the "correct the coords in the listing" for the future, alright - but what about all the MANY, MANY, I have solved in the past - all over europe and the rest of the world? would mean a lot of work to retype all those before I send my iphone off. so: sorry, that isn't the solution I am looking for :(

@ niraD: you might not be aware that as a non-premium-member I can't use the pocket queries. and the rest of your solutions also want me to retype my waypoints in the gc-app :(

is there anything that spares me to retype all my already-put-in-waypoints? PLEASE?

if you can stand using an Android phone, is possible to backup/restore the entire gc directories to the cloud/sd/pc/whatever in about a minute, automatically, on a predetermined schedule.

if not, I'm out of answers

If you're looking for a magical fix that will automatically save all of your waypoints, sorry, you're out of luck. The best suggestion we can make would be to put in the time to move your coordinates into the "corrected coordinates" feature on the website, at which point they'll be saved on the server (safe when you swap out your phone/reinstall the app) and automatically available when you look up one of those caches. Note that this wouldn't need to be done before your current phone replacement, because you've already said you keep a copy of the coordinates in the Personal Cache Notes and other places. Swap out your phone, and then slowly plug away at transferring the coordinates.

AFAIK, this is the least painful and most sustainable route you can take.

before I send my iphone back to apple, I want to really make sure, that THIS TIME I don't lose all the many solved, but not-found-yet-final coords as waypoints in my gc-app.

is it still the case, that those will be lost when I reinstall my gc-app on my exchanged iphone? I honestly would break down and cry - SOOO many hours of work would be lost.

Can you ask about iPhone backup at an Apple store or phone store? People keep telling me that everything gets backed up in a "backup", so that on the new phone (at least the identical model of new phone), the Apps all run exactly as if they were on the old phone. Lately, I've been reading info that makes me wonder.

Here's something I found about backups: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

It says that "App data and settings" are backed up in iCloud backups. You might run out of the "Free" storage, so the extra iCloud space would then have a monthly fee. But does that save all of the Geocaching App data, for example, and copy it to the new phone? I really don't know. It would be bad to find out later that it doesn't.

Edited by kunarion

any chance I get an official answer from Groundspeak itself? THEY SHOULD KNOW A SOLUTION FOR SURE? well, I contacted them - yet, up to now I didn't receive their answer.

many thanks to all who tried to help! :) :)

I'm not sure why you think Groundspeak should be able to help you with an iPhone issue. They already provide a tool to preserve waypoints on the web site so you might be stuck with a lot of typing. There is another thing you can try but it might even be more tedious: Bring up each waypoint and do a screen capture. You can set up the iPhone to auto backup images, so that will save them off the device, either on a computer or in the cloud. Good luck.