Amend my stats - Member Since

derk@21

The "member since" date is from whenever you first set up an account on geocaching.com. It will often differ from your first find date. For example, I first got an account on February 23, 2007; I first sought a cache (unsuccessfully) on February 25, 2007; and our first find was on March 4, 2007.

From your profile, it would appear you set up an account in August 2011 but didn't actually find any geocaches until 2015. If that isn't accurate, I'm sure if you contact Groundspeak, they can change the date.

You might be able to get that fixed through the Help Center, but I'd think it's part of the site's history.

You could have simply opened another account when you started caching, but I guess I don't get why.

Curious about the need though.

It doesn't (really) affect you in any way, and if someone else was curious, they'd just see when you actually started caching...that's all. :)

Edited by cerberus1

I have noticed that on my stats I have been a member since 24/Aug/2011, but I only started last year - first find on 17/Mar/2015

Does anyone know how to amend it to the later date

Thanks

There doesn't seem to be anything to "fix". If there was, I'm pretty sure you couldn't do it on your own.

You created the account in 2011, and for whatever reason, didn't start geocaching until 2015.

I've seen lots of folks do the same thing. It doesn't affect anything, so I'm not sure why you want to change it.

The only way to get your account creation date changed would be by contacting Groundspeak, and seeing if they could be bothered enough to change it.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I agree. This does not affect anything. I signed up in 2012 but didn't make my first find until over a year later.

I'm curious to know though how a few users profiles says they joined in 2010 for example but their first find was in 2009? Is this a matter of they separated an account and then backed dated finds? I probably just answered my own question. :rolleyes: But confirmation would be nice.

I'm curious to know though how a few users profiles says they joined in 2010 for example but their first find was in 2009? Is this a matter of they separated an account and then backed dated finds? I probably just answered my own question. :rolleyes: But confirmation would be nice.

We can't say for all, but the few we've noticed similar were accounts (grown kids mostly) split from the family.

We can't say for all, but the few we've noticed similar were accounts (grown kids mostly) split from the family.
I've also seen cases where someone went geocaching as a tag-along friend for years, and then finally created a geocaching.com account. A friend of mine did that, and I forwarded him a list of caches and the dates he found them with me, so he could backlog them all.

I agree. This does not affect anything. I signed up in 2012 but didn't make my first find until over a year later.

It's due to back-dated finds, for whatever reason.

When I started geocaching, I discovered that a year earlier I had been about 10 feet from the first cache hidden in Iraq. Had I accidentally found it, and logged it, I certainly would have logged the find once I officially got an account.