Statistics

ripraff

I have been using another thread about reviewers to find a link to Doug's Statistics. It has been moving down, I don't know what happens to old threads.

There could be a thread with links to different statistics. (Or am I the only one obsessing about statistics).

Is there another way to find them? I guess searching for his profile....

I have been using another thread about reviewers to find a link to Doug's Statistics. It has been moving down, I don't know what happens to old threads.

There could be a thread with links to different statistics. (Or am I the only one obsessing about statistics).

Here’s the home link: Waymarking Stats

Or you can find it at my Profile Page.

This note is to keep my favorite topic from falling off the list. I enjoy seeing where I am, how far to the next spot and if anyone is approaching from behind. I also like to see which people are moving and where there is competition. Stats are just fun, please keep this on the list.

Time to comment to keep my favorite thread from dropping off the edge?

Next goal, to make the 4k milestone. There are a couple people hanging out there.

But also I want to keep my posting streak alive, so I pace my waymarks out.

I have saturated my local area, but the weather is good, so it may be time to travel again.

How to find those extra categories? Maybe a trip to Syracuse, there are some visits there that would get us new categories.

This note is to keep my favorite topic from falling off the list. I enjoy seeing where I am, how far to the next spot and if anyone is approaching from behind. I also like to see which people are moving and where there is competition. Stats are just fun, please keep this on the list.

Why not just bookmark the page? Sounds a lot simpler than constantly pushing this thread up.

On the other hand what we may have here is a ripraff blog.

Keith

Here’s the home link: Waymarking Stats

Or you can find it at my Profile Page.

Thanks for the link.

Found it very interesting.

Talking about statistics: Is there any statistics about the most active posters per country? It took me quite some time to find out who posted the most waymarks in Austria and that I'm in 3rd place.

I don't know of any newer than 2011. This is something almost impossible to achieve without a direct access to the database.

Greetings and Happy New Year to all!

I've been gathering and analyzing information again. Here's a nugget of info:

From the list of Top Waymark Posters, as of Jan 8, 2018, these observations can be made:

• One quarter of all waymarks have been posted by the top 12 waymarkers.
  • One third of all waymarks have been posted by the top 21 waymarkers.
  • One half of all waymarks have been posted by the top 50 waymarkers.

There's also a new study of categories/groups and leaders/officers at  Waymarking Group/Category AnalysisA link to this study is also available at the bottom of the Waymarking Stats homepage.

Everything at Waymarking Stats has been freshened up. Enjoy!

Let me know if you have questions or don't understand something.

Edited by DougK
Add a final comment
  • Upvote 1

here's another statistic --  I just went thru the first 100 pages (2500 waymarks) on the Newest Waymarks list. They were posted by only 113 waymarkers. I know that there are some folks that post regularly that aren't on this list, but only 112 people posting since Mar 7! That probably means that less than 200 people have posted in the last month. (But those of us still playing the game are posting good amounts. 4400+ in the last month.)

Edited by vulture1957
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:42 AM, vulture1957 said:

here's another statistic --  I just went thru the first 100 pages (2500 waymarks) on the Newest Waymarks list. They were posted by only 113 waymarkers. I know that there are some folks that post regularly that aren't on this list, but only 112 people posting since Mar 7! That probably means that less than 200 people have posted in the last month. (But those of us still playing the game are posting good amounts. 4400+ in the last month.)

It's a shame that the number of active waymark posters isn't higher, but I have some remarks:

1. Don't forget that that it's early in the year. I guess that the number of posters will increase with the temperatures outside. :-)
  2. There are waymarkers (I know at least one in person) who only log visits, but never post new waymarks. So, the actual number of waymarkers is higher than 113.
  3. If we could get more people to visit waymarks, the number of posters will also rise sooner or later.
  4. For me personally, the number of posters isn't a problem. Instead I'm quite happy that the competition is rather low in my hometown. If I see an interesting location, that I want to waymark, but don't have my camera with me, I know that I don't have to hurry home to grab it and take photos asap. I might go there some weeks later and can almost be sure that nobody else has created that waymark in the meantime.

The number of visitors and active officers/leaders is worrying me more than the number of posters. I once talked to a geocacher and one of the first questions was "How many visits do you get?" and when he heard my answer his interest in Waymarking faded away. I think, that we need several changes to make Waymarking more attractive. For example:

• If you post a geocache, you are not bound to provide an English description. If that were the case, the number of geocache posters would surely decrease. I don't say that English shouldn't be obligatory anymore, but it sure is one of the reasons why some people don't even think about starting to post waymarks.
  • Wherever I am I can start my geocaching app and see a map of all the geocaches (that I haven't found yet) around me. If it were more comfortable to search for waymarks on the cell phone, that would also help.
  • And there are many more things that would increase the popularity of Waymarking, but I pass on listing all of them, because most of us know them already.

7 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I once talked to a geocacher and one of the first questions was "How many visits do you get?" and when he heard my answer his interest in Waymarking faded away

We do not generally post visits. However,  we received visits in 2018 an average of 111 visits per month and in 2017 we received an average of 180 visits per month. 

We post on average from 2016 to 2018 approximately 231 approved waymarks per month. 

I am disheartened to hear that a potential waymarker was discouraged based on number of visits. There is more to Waymarking then just visits. Like geocaching, it is about the journey, finding interesting locations and discovering the local history.  If it were not for Waymarking, we would have missed out on these discoveries as we very rarely geocache anymore.

Okay, I use geocaching as a tool to find waymarks. 

Edited by BK-Hunters
5 hours ago, Alfouine said:

A Waymarking app for smartphone would help to play and promote Waymarking, i agree.

100% agree. That would make it a lot easier to know if there are waymark in an area.

5 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

We do not generally post visits. However,  we received visits in 2018 an average of 111 visits per month and in 2017 we received an average of 180 visits per month. 

[...]

Sorry but I won't be able to help boost those stats as much this year.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, BK-Hunters said:

We post on average from 2016 to 2018 approximately 231 approved waymarks per month. 

I am disheartened to hear that a potential waymarker was discouraged based on number of visits. There is more to Waymarking then just visits. Like geocaching, it is about the journey, finding interesting locations and discovering the local history.  If it were not for Waymarking, we would have missed out on these discoveries as we very rarely geocache anymore.

I think that Geocaching has changed a lot over the last couple of years. At least that's the impression I have in my area. People are more interested in quantity than in quality. Both the quality of the locations chosen by the cache owners and the quality of the physical boxes have decreased. Many geocachers I know are delighted by weird puzzle caches. Solving the riddle is more to them than actually finding the box. I hardly find any boxes with trade items anymore, but tons of film canisters or nanos with nothing but a log"book" in it and they are hidden in places that have absolutely nothing of interest. Many posters of geocaches are proud to own a lot of geocaches and receiving lots of visits. I think that Groundspeak (successfully) tried to make things a bit better again by inventing the favourites. At least some posters now try to make better geocaches to earn more favourite points. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that they don't care much about the location anymore and that is also true for the geocachers searching for caches. I also search film canisters in a telephone booth, if they are on my way from here to there, to earn another find, but my interest in geocaching has decreased a lot. If some of these geocachers that are avid for visits would change to the Waymarking world, we might get tons of Payphones waymarks in the crowded areas. :-) So, we better search for geocachers that are fed up of the boring geocache locations and talk them to visit a few waymarks (for a start). At least that's how I started with Waymarking.

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

100% agree. That would make it a lot easier to know if there are waymark in an area. 

Well, I use https://geotrailsw.com/wm/ which is really helpful in some situations, but I miss some features (like an automatic login, better filter options etc.) and it is not good enough to convince geocachers to start with Waymarking. Sad, but true.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 1/10/2018 at 3:59 AM, DougK said:

Greetings and Happy New Year to all!

I've been gathering and analyzing information again. Here's a nugget of info:

From the list of Top Waymark Posters, as of Jan 8, 2018, these observations can be made:

• One quarter of all waymarks have been posted by the top 12 waymarkers.
  • One third of all waymarks have been posted by the top 21 waymarkers.
  • One half of all waymarks have been posted by the top 50 waymarkers.

There's also a new study of categories/groups and leaders/officers at  Waymarking Group/Category AnalysisA link to this study is also available at the bottom of the Waymarking Stats homepage.

Everything at Waymarking Stats has been freshened up. Enjoy!

Let me know if you have questions or don't understand something.

I love all the stats that you prepare and I've ever wondered whether it's possible to analyse places rather than people.

If I travel to anywhere new I always look on Waymarking, partly to look for interesting places to record visits but also to see what the place is like overall. I know that Waymarking isn't anywhere universal and so is not a complete picture of a place but I suspect the type of waymarks found give some sort of indication of what a place is like eg Beaches, lighthouses, maritime monuments and anchors are obviously a clue that the place is at or near the coast. 

Preserved architecture suggests that the place has changed over time and I'm sure there must be other obvious examples.

One thing that put me off suggesting this in the past was how do you define ' place' in order to gather the waymarks for analysis.

I then realised the easiest option would be to chose a waymark, and use something similar to the nearest waymarks option, limiting the search to a specified radius.

Does this seem an interesting idea, have any use and more importantly be possible to do?

8 hours ago, dtrebilc said:

I love all the stats that you prepare and I've ever wondered whether it's possible to analyse places rather than people.

If I travel to anywhere new I always look on Waymarking, partly to look for interesting places to record visits but also to see what the place is like overall. I know that Waymarking isn't anywhere universal and so is not a complete picture of a place but I suspect the type of waymarks found give some sort of indication of what a place is like eg Beaches, lighthouses, maritime monuments and anchors are obviously a clue that the place is at or near the coast. 

Preserved architecture suggests that the place has changed over time and I'm sure there must be other obvious examples.

One thing that put me off suggesting this in the past was how do you define ' place' in order to gather the waymarks for analysis.

I then realised the easiest option would be to chose a waymark, and use something similar to the nearest waymarks option, limiting the search to a specified radius.

Does this seem an interesting idea, have any use and more importantly be possible to do?

I just took a trip from my home near Kansas City to Galena, Illinois back in May.  I seriously only waymarked two days while my lovely wife and adult daughter shopped along main street.  To be fair, I knew that the downtown area had only partially been waymarked, and NONE of the buildings had been waymarked with the National Register Contributing Buildings or the Victorian Era Architecture categories.  
I ended up taking 411 pictures in Galena.  Those pictures yielded 284 waymarks in 56 categories.  I also got 26 visits.  
My strategy was to go ahead and use the National Register Application as a guide, then follow up with other categories as they happen.  Who would have thought of a Sushi Restaurant in the Midwest?  
Anyway, I was lucky that I had found a Waymarking hotspot that had only been lightly touched and I STILL have over 600 buildings I can (or others) can go back and get from that National Register application.  
Just my strategy from a recent trip.

On 6/23/2019 at 3:25 PM, iconions said:

Those pictures yielded 284 waymarks in 56 categories

It's the 56 categories that caught my eye.

56 categories in 2 days while hanging out most of the time in a historic district!!!

Sounds like pretty rich diggins!!!

Keith

I now waymark as an adjunct to geocaching out of town. I have saturated local areas and don't expect visits because there is no one else around. That also makes it hard for me to get visits. The thing that lets us geocache is challenges set up by the Tioga County tourist group and the Central NY State Parks. Maybe we could partner with groups that would set up challenges. Geocache challenges give out coins. We need an icon for challenges?

23 hours ago, ripraff said:

I now waymark as an adjunct to geocaching out of town. I have saturated local areas and don't expect visits because there is no one else around. That also makes it hard for me to get visits. The thing that lets us geocache is challenges set up by the Tioga County tourist group and the Central NY State Parks. Maybe we could partner with groups that would set up challenges. Geocache challenges give out coins. We need an icon for challenges?

Just for clarification, I think you mean GeoTours https://www.geocaching.com/play/geotours/experience-tioga.

There is a searchable attribute:

766073474_ScreenShot2019-07-08at8_40_30AM.png.c4ff9aca1a51823a4facd051dfef68c5.png

250853562_ScreenShot2019-07-08at8_41_35AM.png.7c4dfa1f02fdf908e1368907dc2429d1.png

On 5/22/2017 at 5:07 PM, PISA-caching said:

Talking about statistics: Is there any statistics about the most active posters per country? It took me quite some time to find out who posted the most waymarks in Austria and that I'm in 3rd place.

Alfouine pointed me to this thread, so I looked, what other statistics could be displayed with the data currently available in my statistics database.

Displaying the number of posts of users per country was a minor change, so I added the list for the "Top 100" on the countries page.

Then I checked the entry for Austria and can tell you now, that you climbed up a step on the ladder to position 2:

See https://wm.familie-frohne.net/list_country.php?cr=Austria%2F

Helpful? Any other (statistical) suggestions to add?

Edited by FamilieFrohne
  • Helpful 1

This is great! Thanks a lot.

For me personally, it would be great, if I could add the province to the country -> See which categories haven't been covered in a specific region/province. So, if we plan another holidays in the Tuscany/Italia, we could see what is missing there. But I don't know, if others would have an interest in that too.

49 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

This is great! Thanks a lot.

For me personally, it would be great, if I could add the province to the country -> See which categories haven't been covered in a specific region/province. So, if we plan another holidays in the Tuscany/Italia, we could see what is missing there. But I don't know, if others would have an interest in that too.

This feature was added long ago. Same page, just click the box beside "show categories not posted":

Selection.jpg.74e7de724f98fe323c3f438b52cf9680.jpg

To get the names of the categories (and not just the icons) select the checkbox with "show alphabetical list instead of grid"

Edited by FamilieFrohne

I didn't notice that the dropdown offers the country and all the country/provinces combinations. My fault. Sorry and thank a lot again. 

My only two excuses: 1. I'm not the youngest anymore ;) and 2. I'm so much used to the two separate dropdowns when creating or looking for WMs.

Edited by PISA-caching
On 2/20/2022 at 9:26 PM, FamilieFrohne said:

Then I checked the entry for Austria and can tell you now, that you climbed up a step on the ladder to position 2:

See https://wm.familie-frohne.net/list_country.php?cr=Austria%2F

Interesting...

Under the United Kingdom there are 2 strange locations.

1 Ulster 11

2 Washington 1

Ulster is in Ireland, and Washington is USA?

Any way to find out which these anomalies are?

20 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

Interesting...

Under the United Kingdom there are 2 strange locations.

1 Ulster 11

2 Washington 1

Ulster is in Ireland, and Washington is USA?

Any way to find out which these anomalies are?

You have to look at the country/region entry for United Kingdom / Ulster, there you get the list with the categories in question with a number of entries. In case of "1" you can find the offender on the according category page, since it is counted as "first in region". If there are 2 or more, then you'll only find the first one on the category page. Not so easy and possibly incomplete. Luckily I'm having direct access to my database, this was an easy query (at least for me) - to be honest, creating the query was quicker done, than writing and formatting this reply.

So for Ulster these 15 waymarks in 11 categories exist:

For Washington we have only one entry:

Yours

Erik.