Mission GC - GCHQ 47 help needed

LePape

I have Tips & Tricks turned on, I am a premium member and I too have not received the email

Hi,

I haven't received the Mission message.

What do I have to do to receive it? Yes, I am a premium member...

Thanks for the help!

Help Center → Community → Calendars and Events (regular, Mega, CITO)

5.15. Mission GC FAQ- 2016

https://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=797

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

The criteria isn't fixed, so there could be a third and even fourth option made available by the deadline.

I can't really talk about the criteria without giving away the solution bit it looked pretty fixed to me.

The criteria is fixed, but the number of caches meeting that criteria could change in the next few days, especially if several geocachers try to "game" the system.

Ah, that makes sense. However in many cache sparse areas there aren't going to be enough cachers to game the system enough to change then number of caches which meet the criteria.

I find it kind of sad that so many are willing to game the system just to add a +1 to their find count or a souvenir to their profile.

I looked at it but couldn't make any kind of sense out of it. The hints were not helpful. I looked at the plates, tried to figure out what states they were from. I tried to find some kind of decoding with the numbers and letters, and just can't figure out what I need to solve the puzzle. Have there been similar puzzles published by geocaching, so people may have some idea of how to solve? I don't know if we are looking for a person's name or what. I don't even know where to begin to try and solve it. I'm going to the blog and hope for a small clue to get started on it.

I didn't get it because I have Tips & Tricks turned off. Oh well.

Ah, I see you're right. So it's not just premium members but there's an additional requirement not mentioned in the announcement. I guess we have to wait.

That's a pretty important detail to leave out.

Actually, the newsletter announcing the "mission", which I received on July 12, had a link to the blog page, which had a link to the Help Center article.

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2016/07/your-mission-gc-should-you-choose-to-accept-it/

https://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=797

B.

I looked at it but couldn't make any kind of sense out of it. The hints were not helpful. I looked at the plates, tried to figure out what states they were from. I tried to find some kind of decoding with the numbers and letters, and just can't figure out what I need to solve the puzzle. Have there been similar puzzles published by geocaching, so people may have some idea of how to solve? I don't know if we are looking for a person's name or what. I don't even know where to begin to try and solve it. I'm going to the blog and hope for a small clue to get started on it.

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2016/07/hints-for-mission-gc-message-1/

When you get to the blog page, scroll to the bottom of the comments, then click to see more comments.

Search for the hints posted by Gayla Ber and Kristy Wade.

B.

Hello, I am really bad at solving puzzles, can anyone help me with Mission GCHQ 47 !!!!

The hints are not helping me :( , I need a little more I guess!

I am working at decoding the first licence plate (white) and going nowhere.

Any help\suggestions would be appreciated. :D

Thanks

Lepape

After reading the comments in here I went searching in Facebook and in the Blog. I finally found some help. Here is a clue that will help you all solve the puzzle, if they allow me to post this. The solution to the puzzle is in the first plate. Study it carefully for the clue to solve all the plates. Message me if you want more. Good Luck!

I posted yesterday and still have not received an e-mail message. I do have tips and tricks enabled and a premium player, very disappointed with ground speak :(

Did you contact Groundspeak, as has been suggested numerous times in this thread?

The link to contact GS has also been posted.

B.

I didn't get it because I have Tips & Tricks turned off. Oh well.

Ah, I see you're right. So it's not just premium members but there's an additional requirement not mentioned in the announcement. I guess we have to wait.

That's a pretty important detail to leave out.

Actually, the newsletter announcing the "mission", which I received on July 12, had a link to the blog page, which had a link to the Help Center article.

I don't deny the information was available, but the announcement clearly and unequivocally says "Premium members will receive an email including the encoded message one week prior to each souvenir release," so I'm not very impressed that somewhere buried in the FAQ there's text that reveals that not all premium members will receive the e-mail. And that information is presented as an answer to the question "I’m a Premium member, but I did not receive an encoded message. Why?" By the time anyone started asking that question and looking for the answer, it was too late for the information to be useful.

Did you contact Groundspeak, as has been suggested numerous times in this thread?

Meh. I don't really care that much. I was looking forward to the puzzle, but now I'll just wait for the announcement to the hoi polloi. If it takes a week's worth of planning to get the souvenir, I probably won't be that interested, anyway. I'm not planning on enabling tips and tricks for the other two, either.

The criteria isn't fixed, so there could be a third and even fourth option made available by the deadline.

I can't really talk about the criteria without giving away the solution bit it looked pretty fixed to me.

The criteria is fixed, but the number of caches meeting that criteria could change in the next few days, especially if several geocachers try to "game" the system.

Ah, that makes sense. However in many cache sparse areas there aren't going to be enough cachers to game the system enough to change then number of caches which meet the criteria.

I find it kind of sad that so many are willing to game the system just to add a +1 to their find count or a souvenir to their profile.

You would need up to 20 cachers acting together to game the system in order to do it - that sort of cooperation is good for the game IMO....

After reading the comments in here I went searching in Facebook and in the Blog. I finally found some help. Here is a clue that will help you all solve the puzzle, if they allow me to post this. The solution to the puzzle is in the first plate. Study it carefully for the clue to solve all the plates. Message me if you want more. Good Luck!

In the email, there is a "View hint" link underneath the "Enter the decoded message here" button. That link goes to a page that actually has 5 hints. I had no idea how to decode the plates, but was soon able to figure it out by comparing (1) the hint at the bottom of the white plate and (2) the values of hint #3 in the link. If one can figure out how those two pieces were derived, then one should be able to figure out the rest of the plates. A little reverse engineer.

I still haven't received the e-mail hint, my tips and tricks are turned on, but still no e-mail. I went to the help menu and sent my request to the premium membership selection and will wait, just hope it's not to long? Disappointed with ground speak :(

I didn't receive the email and submitted a request through the Help Center around 8pm Seattle time. I got a reply with an image of the email about 4 hours later. Yep, around midnight someone at HQ responded to me.

Interestingly, I received the regular email around 3am Saturday morning. If I'm reading the full header information correctly, it looks like the email was sent out at 1:30pm Seattle time, but took about 14 hours to make it to my Yahoo Inbox.

**I am Premium and have had "Tips & Tricks" enabled for at least a year.

I still haven't received the e-mail hint, my tips and tricks are turned on, but still no e-mail. I went to the help menu and sent my request to the premium membership selection and will wait, just hope it's not to long? Disappointed with ground speak :(

No, really...did you email Groundspeak, as directed in the Help Center article that has been linked to a couple of times?

You have to tell them that you are asking about this particular situation. Others have contacted GS and received replies. Noncentric is the latest one.

B.

You would need up to 20 cachers acting together to game the system in order to do it - that sort of cooperation is good for the game IMO....

I agree that cooperation can be good for the game but not for the purposes of gaming the system.

For example, there have been posts about adhoc teams being formed to do power trails. The "members" of the team split up into 2-3 different vehicles, go out and find a different set of caches and then everyone on the "team" logs finds on all of the caches. Getting 20 cachers to split up into 10 cars doesn't make it any more acceptable.

The sort of 'gaming' we'd be talking about here is just taking advantage of the situation, within the rules, teams on power trails is just cheating (IMO)....

Sorry, but I don't see a big distinction. In both cases, some are taking advantage of the situation within the rules (and, actually sharing information only intended for premium members with basic members might be a TOU violation). It doesn't make it more acceptable because "everyone else is doing it".

No, really...did you email Groundspeak, as directed in the Help Center article that has been linked to a couple of times?

You have to tell them that you are asking about this particular situation. Others have contacted GS and received replies. Noncentric is the latest one.

B.

We contacted them. No reply.

B.

Not interested in the souvenir but for fun, i did want to try solving the puzzle. I wonder if it's ok to forward my email to you? :D

Yes, I noticed the hint on the first plate, but still couldn't figure out anything from it. Any hints would be appreciated. My geocaching name is Wenniget - can reach me through the message centre I assume.

I must be missing something in here. We can only put in the agents name on July 30th - 31st, correct? It won't let me put it in now. And is there a part two after that....which involves physical caches?

OOPS, okay found answer to my own question, now I get what u are talking about. Got to investigate my options. I can see why there is a dilemma.

I'm glad that someone helped me decode this. I'm headed to Maine next weekend. And have figured which cache along the way I should find to meet the requirements. If it had popped up next Saturday morning, I would have been SOL.

If it's not this one you should there as well.

Ah. Found that one eight years ago. I was thinking of this one one the way up: Fort Saybrook

It'll give me a chance to stretch my legs.

I'm glad that someone helped me decode this. I'm headed to Maine next weekend. And have figured which cache along the way I should find to meet the requirements. If it had popped up next Saturday morning, I would have been SOL.

If it's not this one you should there as well.

Ah. Found that one eight years ago. I was thinking of this one one the way up: Fort Saybrook

It'll give me a chance to stretch my legs.

I'm heading to Maine this weekend as well, Ogunquit, found more than what I will need. It just worked out really well because my area is devoid of the number of favorites it requires.

B.

Not interested in the souvenir but for fun, i did want to try solving the puzzle. I wonder if it's ok to forward my email to you? :D

Finally got it and solved it. Shouldn't have any trouble getting a cache, or several, that qualify.