Mission GC - GCHQ 47 help needed

LePape

Hello, I am really bad at solving puzzles, can anyone help me with Mission GCHQ 47 !!!!

The hints are not helping me :( , I need a little more I guess!

I am working at decoding the first licence plate (white) and going nowhere.

Any help\suggestions would be appreciated. :D

Thanks

Lepape

Edited by LePape

I'm sure others will give a more detailed explanation of the Groundspeak terms of use but in 2D it lists this as a violation: "Publish on our websites the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner."

Cache owners who create these puzzles generally don't want the answers broadcast. It is o.k. to email the owner to ask for hints.

I'm sure others will give a more detailed explanation of the Groundspeak terms of use but in 2D it lists this as a violation: "Publish on our websites the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner."

Cache owners who create these puzzles generally don't want the answers broadcast. It is o.k. to email the owner to ask for hints.

It's not a geocache.

It's the Summer Souvenir promotion from Groundspeak.

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2016/07/your-mission-gc-should-you-choose-to-accept-it/

B.

Per Groundspeak on Mission GC:

"I cannot solve the puzzle(s). What can I do?

Search for nearby geocaching events and meet with other geocachers to work together. Or contact us for a hint."

Not so different than any puzzle, cache or otherwise. Any public posting is tacky. Face-to-face meetings with other cachers working together on a problem or Private emails or following the instructions above is perfectly o.k.

I didn't get it because I have Tips & Tricks turned off. Oh well.

Ah, I see you're right. So it's not just premium members but there's an additional requirement not mentioned in the announcement. I guess we have to wait.

I'm off to see if I can find that option. Meanwhile if you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Never mind I found it. Under Edit Profile and Email options.

Edited by SgtSue

It's not a geocache.

It's the Summer Souvenir promotion from Groundspeak.

https://www.geocachi...e-to-accept-it/

B.

Still, The "puzzle" was only sent out to premium members (as a benefit of being a premium member). On the day that the first souvenir will become available the *decoded* solution will be sent out to all members. I know of another site where someone has posted the messages sent to PMs where any member can read it and several responses have pretty much given away how to solve it.

Ah, I see you're right. So it's not just premium members but there's an additional requirement not mentioned in the announcement. I guess we have to wait.

My husband didn't get it either, and I don't think he's turned that feature off. So I guess we're just not participating.

I liked it in the past where there was a banner for the summer souvenir stuff.

For those that haven't gotten the email, but have gotten other emails in the past, I'd for the moment, chalk this up to ISP lag and delaying some emails that they consider spam. I use gmail and did get the email this morning. At other times though, friends have gotten the emails before me, sometimes with a few hours difference.

Stuff happens.

I solved the encoded message and found that in one country in which I've found a cache there are only 2 caches in the entire country which meet the souvenir criteria and I've already found one of them.

That shouldn't affect you unless you're going to be in that country during the promo dates.

I agree that two is a small number for the other members of the community in that country, I'm guessing there aren't many cachers there.

The criteria isn't fixed, so there could be a third and even fourth option made available by the deadline.

Hints have been posted in the blog, and people have been providing help in the comments.

B.

What blog are you talking about???

The Groundspeak blog, formerly named "something or other 47" (I can't remember).

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/

The email directed you to the blog post with the hints.

B.

It used to be called Latitude 47. I loved that name, and am sad that they changed it.

I solved the encoded message and found that in one country in which I've found a cache there are only 2 caches in the entire country which meet the souvenir criteria and I've already found one of them.

That shouldn't affect you unless you're going to be in that country during the promo dates.

I agree that two is a small number for the other members of the community in that country, I'm guessing there aren't many cachers there.

That's an extreme example, but the attainability of the souvenir is proportional to the number of geocaches (and geocachers) in an area. I've seen some indicate that they've already found all the caches in their immediate area which meets the criteria and will have to travel a bit in order to qualify for the souvenir.

The criteria isn't fixed, so there could be a third and even fourth option made available by the deadline.

I can't really talk about the criteria without giving away the solution bit it looked pretty fixed to me.

I can't really talk about the criteria without giving away the solution bit it looked pretty fixed to me.

The criteria is fixed, but the number of caches meeting that criteria could change in the next few days, especially if several geocachers try to "game" the system.

Perhaps I did not get it for that reason, too. I am not surprised that Groundspeak announced that we would receive emails but neglected to mention that they required tips and tricks to receive.

Oh well. I ignore most puzzles, do not participate in Facebook where it seems that hints are being discussed, and hide souvenirs as soon as I get them. But I was curious and am disappointed with the way this was handled, even if I have come to expect it.

Thanks to a previous post I was able to track down the secret message I did not receive from Groundspeak and have the solution. But still, it should not come to that.

---

Edited to note that when I contacted Groundspeak about not getting the email, they sent me a copy of the email within a very short period of time. So credit to them for support.

Edited by geodarts

After finally finding the 'secret message' and getting the answer, it reminded me of the Little Orphan Annie decoder ring in the movie, "A Christmas Story". 3 minute video clip follows...

A crummy commercial?!? :laughing: I love that part. I reference it all the time.

Perhaps I did not get it for that reason, too. I am not surprised that Groundspeak announced that we would receive emails but neglected to mention that they required tips and tricks to receive.

Oh well. I ignore most puzzles, do not participate in Facebook where it seems that hints are being discussed, and hide souvenirs as soon as I get them. But I was curious and am disappointed with the way this was handled, even if I have come to expect it.

I may have gotten the original one but I did not get the 1st secret message email today. Thanks to a kind friend who sent it asking if I could help them. I followed the crumb trail to the hints and comments on my own and then from there it reminds me on this one puzzle cacher near us that has puzzles you scream at only to find out it was really easy.