Message Center misbehaving

Pond Bird

I can't trust the Message Center.

Yesterday I received an email notification of a new message, and replied to the email. Boilerplate words in the notification said that replying should work. It didn't. Today I looked in on the MC to clear the blasted (1) indicator, and my reply wasn't there.

Usually, my reply succeeds, except that (bizarrely) it snips off my closing salutation, making my tone more rude. That was bad, but no reply at all is worse.

Please provide a master switch for this work in progress! Checkbox: MC yes or no, you know the request.

Yesterday I received an email notification of a new message, and replied to the email. Boilerplate words in the notification said that replying should work. It didn't. Today I looked in on the MC to clear the blasted (1) indicator, and my reply wasn't there.

Usually, my reply succeeds, except that (bizarrely) it snips off my closing salutation, making my tone more rude. That was bad, but no reply at all is worse.

Please provide a master switch for this work in progress! Checkbox: MC yes or no, you know the request.

Thanks for the report.

We are investigating.

Thanks for the report.

We are investigating.

The issue was fixed yesterday. Replies to the Message Center via email should now be arriving, as expected, in the Message Center.

Thanks for the above. Today it's SPAM.

1. I pressed a button labeled Yes, block this geocacher. That's mislabeled. They're a spammer, not a geocacher.

2. I want to report them, not just block them. So here I am in the forum instead. No report button?

3. In case it hasn't been requested yet, could we please have the option to turn this off completely?

Just got a spam email this morning supposedly from Geocaching. Subject: [GEO] kings11me contacting Dave.Halpenny from Geocaching.com. Reply to Gmail.com. No obvious links to far away websites.

That's not a message center email. If it was, it would have mentioned that someone had sent you a message and would have included a link back to the message center.

Like this:

Geocaching: Dave.Halpenny, you have a new message from kings11me!

To correctly state your situation, you got a spam email from kings11me, sent through geocaching.com, which included their email address so you could reply to them directly.

Edited by hzoi

Just got a spam email this morning supposedly from Geocaching. Subject: [GEO] kings11me contacting Dave.Halpenny from Geocaching.com. Reply to Gmail.com. No obvious links to far away websites.

That's not a message center email. If it was, it would have mentioned that someone had sent you a message and would have included a link back to the message center.

Like this:

Geocaching: Dave.Halpenny, you have a new message from kings11me!

To correctly state your situation, you got a spam email from kings11me, sent through geocaching.com, which included their email address so you could reply to them directly.

I've just had that same kings11me turn up in my email. Haven't opened it. ------- Just looked. Spam it is.

Stop removing text from my replies!!!!! Please. Removing my polite sign-off changes the tone.

I try to be polite to cachers who contact me. Software developers I hold to a higher standard.

Imagine an internet voice-calling app that senses when you're about to say goodbye, and hangs up prematurely. Wouldn't you want to uninstall that? Now imagine it's part of some indispensable app, and you can't uninstall just the auto-hangup part without uninstalling everything.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Hi!

I still cannot use the Message Center, something I haven't been able to do for many months. When trying to start the Message Center the result is always the same, and I never do get past the indicator. I have tried to open the Message Center on my two computers, both running Windows 10, using Firefox (51.0.1), Chrome (55.0.2883.87 m), Internet Explorer (11.576.14393.0) and Edge (38.14393.0.0) without any success.

At this time I have begun trusting the Message Center NOT to work. The two messages I apparently have waiting for me in the Message Center, seems to remain unread.

Hi!

I still cannot use the Message Center, something I haven't been able to do for many months. When trying to start the Message Center the result is always the same, and I never do get past the indicator. I have tried to open the Message Center on my two computers, both running Windows 10, using Firefox (51.0.1), Chrome (55.0.2883.87 m), Internet Explorer (11.576.14393.0) and Edge (38.14393.0.0) without any success.

At this time I have begun trusting the Message Center NOT to work. The two messages I apparently have waiting for me in the Message Center, seems to remain unread.

A post in the Message Center also tends to cause an email of at least some of the text of the message. Are you not getting any message text at all?

I have an old iPhone (also a couple of old droid things), and the MC works great within the Official Geocaching App. I don't care for the extra steps, and sure don't enjoy trying to type on a phone. If you have access to a smartphone, you may at least read messages. Reply by PM, that the MC is an inconvenience for you. But prepare for more replies through the MC anyway. Cachers use both interchangeably.

The Message Center Indicator in the top right-hand corner shows I have a "message" waiting for me to read it.

However, I don't have any unread messages. How do I get rid of the Indicator when I have no unread messages?

I have a MAC; 10.10.5 OS & I use Safari as my browser.

I have the same problem if I use FireFox as my browser.

I had the same problem, until I realized that the indicator was for drafts (aka fieldnotes) :huh:

The Message Center Indicator in the top right-hand corner shows I have a "message" waiting for me to read it.

However, I don't have any unread messages. How do I get rid of the Indicator when I have no unread messages?

I have a MAC; 10.10.5 OS & I use Safari as my browser.

I have the same problem if I use FireFox as my browser.

I am having this same problem since 3/30/2017. The yellow circle is on the right instead of the left. When clicked it doesn't do anything. To my knowledge I have no unread messages.

A weird problem that should be easy to debug:

WellJointed sent me a message yesterday. I got a copy of it by email. I fired up IE, and saw New Message indicator. Got in, saw no message from WellJointed. I pretended that I want to send a message to him, which got me to the history of our messages. I saw his older messages, but not the latest one I just read in the email.

21 minutes ago, ohaj said:

Message center is absolutely dysfunctional, copy text is not allowed, pictures can not be pasted, I do not like it!

Never tried to paste images but you can drag and drop them. I didn't like it when this drag and drop feature was temporarily removed. Do you know any WEB based service which can paste images? In my message center I can copy text without problems. Maybe it is just a browser problem? Have you tried with another browser?

Edited by arisoft

I couldn't care less -_- and maybe it's even a new feature but I guess it's a bug.

I prefer email and so I have set [x] Forward messages to e-mail.

I received a message which was forwarded to my e-mail inbox, replied via e-mail and received another reply from that person via message which also was delivered to my e-mail inbox. Apparently the communication worked.

But none of this three messages is present in my Message Center.

Edit: Nothing to see here...... Sorry, I forgot that my conversation took place with my other account. There I found the messages and emails correctly recorded. :blink:

And adding another observation: Messages in the Message Center which were sent via the Message Center do not have a date (which in my opinion they should have). My replies sent via e-mail (and incorporated into the Message Center timeline) do have the date and time attached.

messagecenter.jpg

Edited by Hynz
deleting false error reporting
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Hynz said:

Messages in the Message Center which were sent via the Message Center do not have a date (which in my opinion they should have). My replies sent via e-mail (and incorporated into the Message Center timeline) do have the date and time attached.

The inconsistently applied time stamps are just plain weird.

This became an issue for me recently, in the Official App.  I was offline for a while. A cacher was searching for one of my caches, and asked for a hint.  It was important to know the time it was sent, but of course I could not tell. The icon popped up as if it had been sent just then.  The post had actually occurred an hour before.

Before I formulate a reply in these cases, I must exit the Message Center and go do some research.  I may see the email notification or whatever, and from that I can decide when the post was made.  Then I can return to the MC, with a reply based on how long ago the question was sent.

Edited by kunarion