Message Center misbehaving

Pond Bird

It seems to be a browser thing, but in a general sense.

Microsoft has always had their own way of rendering webpages in Internet Explorer and pushed their agenda onto the net. Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc all seem to play well together, but were at odds with IE. Now that IE is going away and being replaced with Edge, I wonder if there is all sorts of compatibility issues that are creeping up, and as one thing is fixed, something else breaks.

We can speculate all we want.

What I find bizarre is the complete lack of formal response from Groundspeak.

Perhaps this is their way of finding out how much we'd miss the message centre if it tanked <_<

For the record - if anyone is listening - I wouldn't miss it - but seeing as how I am forced to accept and respond to Earthcache LTR's via it I'd quite like it if you either fixed it or got rid of it.

Microsoft has always had their own way of rendering webpages in Internet Explorer and pushed their agenda onto the net. Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc all seem to play well together, but were at odds with IE. Now that IE is going away and being replaced with Edge, I wonder if there is all sorts of compatibility issues that are creeping up, and as one thing is fixed, something else breaks.

You know this would be a good guess if the problem was only in Microsoft, but I'm also having the same exact issue with my IPad, which doesn't use IE...they use safari. So, I still think it's the geocaching web page itself that seems to have developed a glitch. Maybe they are making changes to the web page? I'm going to further search on this topic.

You know this would be a good guess if the problem was only in Microsoft, but I'm also having the same exact issue with my IPad, which doesn't use IE...they use safari. So, I still think it's the geocaching web page itself that seems to have developed a glitch. Maybe they are making changes to the web page? I'm going to further search on this topic.

I meant... I wonder if Groundspeak is trying to fix the issue for different browser, but as they fix one issue, another creeps up.... but that is just my own guessing.

I have the same problem but with just one person. All other messaging works as it should. I have windows 10 and I have tried Internet explorer, Chrome and Firefox, but they all function in the same way: This one message chain shows on the right only the first message, on the left I see the beginning of the latest message. We can send messages to each other and read them in our emails, there the text are displayed correctly. I wonder if the first message contains some unseen strange character that messes up the messaging program? If it is of any help to Groundspeak team, the problem is in messaging between Uleti and Salme Maijala, the first message being sent by Uleti.

"Your browser is not supported" (from what I read above -> FF, Safari, Chrome doesn't work) -> for me also -> Firefox (lastest), Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge -> maybe they should name the browser that IS (the chosen one) supported. :-P I've got some important messages in there and I'm not able to read them in any way...

not_working.jpg

Not funny at all... :-/

I am having the same thing Your browser is not supported. But what i think is better is this has been going on for at least 10 day looking at this thread and nobody from ground speak has even replied to anyone very poor.

I am running Firefox , chrome , edge

I am unable to message earthcache owners to send my answers. The messaging screen comes up but the address does not populate. I've been on vacation since July 12th and it was happening intermittently. I would have to click "send message" over and over and finally the owner's name would come into the box. Now it isn't working at all. I am not getting error messages, it just isn't working. Since I don't know the owner's email addresses I have to use the messaging function on the website. I agree with others....it should be fixed or dropped. Very frustrating!!

I am still stunned that this issue remains with zero response to this thread from Groundspeak.

It is highly irregular - they usually respond very quickly :unsure:

I am stunned that you think of Groundspeak as a responsive company. Though this case is probably even worse than usual, since I suspect they have no idea how to fix it. How do you fix what you don't understand? And how is silence going to hurt them? They won't lose customers over it. They have no competition.

The decision has been made that it is better to say nothing. Thank You for your patience.

Since I don't know the owner's email addresses I have to use the messaging function on the website.

You don't need to have the owner's email address to send them EC answers. You can email another cacher as long as they have the "Send Email" option on their profile page (see image below). Clicking on "Send Email" will take you to another page where you can enter your email message.

gc-profile-email.png

I am still stunned that this issue remains with zero response to this thread from Groundspeak.

It is highly irregular - they usually respond very quickly :unsure:

I am stunned that you think of Groundspeak as a responsive company.

Really? Based on past experience of issues which havebeen raised in this forum and dealt with very quickly I would say that they can be a highly responsive company - they just don't respond to everything everyone asks them to do.

Though this case is probably even worse than usual, since I suspect they have no idea how to fix it. How do you fix what you don't understand? And how is silence going to hurt them? They won't lose customers over it. They have no competition.

Yes - it's much worse than usual - and the fact you've noticed that it's much worse than usual demonstrates that you're fully aware that they usually perform better than this.

The decision has been made that it is better to say nothing. Thank You for your patience.

And, as I said originally - that's the very odd part.

It is a goofy piece of software. It also removes salutations, turning polite messages into less-polite ones. HEY! This happens when I reply by email to a message notification. For example, as a test I replied to someone with TWO salutations (as demonstrated below), and it removed them both.

Email has been working smoothly for decades now. Yet they invented this?

Cheers,

VP

Cheers,

VP

I am having more issues than ever and thought I would check in with the forums to see if there is any progress on the issue, doesn't look promising.

I haven't had the " browser is not supported"message for a couple of month. ( now I have jinked it) Using Safari on MacBook

but the whole platform seems unstable. Ie when sending a message for an earth cache owner it used to say" Regarding GC &^^% BLAHBLAH Earthcache" now that doesn't come up any more when I click on message this owner from the cache page. Just tried it now and it did.. very unpredictable.

also sometimes the To Username is blank and sometimes is correct.

another issue is when I upload a photo to the message, then it covers up the Submit button , so I can't send the message.

arrggh... enough time wasted, going back to emails Please fix this feature or get rid of it altogether if you can't .

Two features of Message Center does not work any more.

1) Link "Message this owner" from any cache page does not open converstion to the CO as it did before. It works just like the "Messages" link on the top. I am sure this is not intented to work that way.

2) The original version attached images automatically to the message when a image file was dragged and dropped to the message center. Now it does not. Actually it just opens the local image and discards any message written in to the message box instead.

FYI: I am using Firefox browser.

1) Link "Message this owner" from any cache page does not open converstion to the CO as it did before. It works just like the "Messages" link on the top. I am sure this is not intented to work that way.

Same result here.

Using latest Chrome 53.0.2785.143

Yup, add me to the message don't work right club. Same things happening to me.

Message center stopped working for me yesterday.... will not load and show a message that I apparently have in there ... I suspect some new ad has been attached that my computer protection program will not accept .. and therefore, the message program will not open .. green circle will come on after awhile but just sits there and spins.... And the Ghostery program says there's now 4 tracking programs that have been inserted into the webpage.... one is likely the problem...

Same result here.

Using latest Chrome 53.0.2785.143

I noticed this over the weekend. Using the link from a cache page would bring up the right message recipient but wouldn't link to the specific cache.

I also noticed that trying to send a message using the "send message" link in someone's profile would open up the message center, but I'd still need to manually enter the cacher's name.

I just checked both features, and the message app appears to have come back to normal now, at least in these two respects.

Add me to the list of folks who are having problems. Having to message the COs regarding earthcaches and virtual caches used to be okay. now with the message center it appears to have become impossible. I have tried repeated today to send messages - I can type in the message, but then the circle just spins and as far as I can tell the messages are never delivered. I'm to the point that this message system just isn't adding value to the app - is there truly a need for this? Seems like a lot of work to support a system that just isn't working - and which used work fine using our own email...

Add me to the list of folks who are having problems. Having to message the COs regarding earthcaches and virtual caches used to be okay. now with the message center it appears to have become impossible. I have tried repeated today to send messages - I can type in the message, but then the circle just spins and as far as I can tell the messages are never delivered. I'm to the point that this message system just isn't adding value to the app - is there truly a need for this? Seems like a lot of work to support a system that just isn't working - and which used work fine using our own email...

The Message Center is especially broken today. It was once OK in the App (just inconvenient to type on a phone screen), but now it's unusable there, too. I tried it on iPhone, iPad, and Droid. And also on IE, Chrome, and Firefox on the PC. And Chrome on the iPad. If it still works in some system, lemme know. I didn't test absolutely everything. But I'm pretty close. My best bet was Android, where it says "Sending" but hasn't sent the message. Is it in a queue? Is it never gonna "send"? Because now I have to send an email explaining why the recipient may get an MC message later, which by the time he gets that message, it will be old news.

The MC worked at 9AM EST, since that's when I received a message.

Edited by kunarion

I'm having the same problem. Message Center is erroneously reporting that I have one Unread Message.

I have the same problem. No matter what I do there is always the number 1 showing for messages. Has anyone found an answer to this problem because it is very irritating.

I had this the other day, no matter how many times I opened the messages that were there, the message center icon still showed one unread. The next day, it had resolved itself.

If it persists, perhaps try logging out and logging in again?