Adding a mission card

pineapple_pi

Lately I have made it a mission of my own to "help" travel bugs that have seen better days. For example, I recently found a TB of sorts, it was a actually a piece of paper with the code scribbled in red marker (which then bled), covered in tape and attached to a dime. I had no idea what this bug was originally but I was pretty sure that wasn't it. I got home and read the description (her name was Anne Tenna). I had a little toy of a blue bug with antennae so I attached that to a new card that I had printed and laminated. I pulled the information straight off the bug's site. I never added my own information to it at all. I just thought this way when someone saw it in a cache they automatically knew the mission and history. The owner was thrilled. I've since been doing it with all TBs I move. I do tell the owners but that is generally after the fact. I read an old post talking about "TB fleas". Does this fall under that category? I thought I was helping but there was so much talk about not adding anything to someone else's bug. Can I get some opinions / guidance on this? For what it's worth, so far no TB owner has been unhappy. I'm attaching a picture of an example.

6cb7c7ea-4378-42d6-bdd5-a74fad901bea.jpeg

The reverse side has the description and mission from the TBs page. I've recently started adding the code to it as well in case the TB tag goes missing maybe the card will still hang around?

Edited by pineapple_pi

I kinda agree with MP.

Nice job and nice you care ... but you really should ask the TO first. :)

Around here, a "flea" is often another trackable attached to someone elses.

Most times the "flea" isn't even trackable on this site, but another.

I think that's really rude, so I do see it as a flea (or maybe even a tick). :D

Some trackable owners ask to have things attached.

One we saw, a simple TB grew more than twice its size with all the carp attached....

Great that you did this as a caring geocacher for the love of the game.

Same as cachers usually help fix a cache which needs help, be it a new water proof log, replacement cache container etc.

I have done something similar to what you have done when I found some TB's that had nothing or a not legible card or paper.

I didn't laminate I only used clear tape covering a printed card I made of the mission statement. But since I have found cheap self laminating business cards sizes at dollar stores.

I did send a note to owners and I got back some saying thank you and nothing from others.

I have only done 6.

I do agree with "MP" that I should ask first the CO and I will do so from now on.

If I had a Travel Bug out there and my card which was with it went missing or whatever, I would appreciate someone redoing it for me and letting me know.

Sometimes new cachers may come across a TB and not know to do but this helps explain what to do.

I don't want someone using my tracking number to "help" me because I release my own proxies, and I don't like the laminated paper knock-offs. :)

I'm sure the OP is well meaning... but please let me take care of my geocaches and trackables myself.

So technically, I can't deny this is the right answer. But, still, what the OP is adding is just a laminated card for a TB that's still functioning, so there's no reason to think the TO's released a proxy, and this isn't a knock-off, it's just added documentation in line with the published TB. OK, I still concede that it's not strictly kosher, but, to be honest, I'm sympathetic because I think those cards are a good idea, I'm just too lazy to put one on my TB.

I've recently started adding the code to it as well in case the TB tag goes missing maybe the card will still hang around?

Here, I think the OP has crossed an important line. If the tag "goes missing", then it's gone. In that case, it's just flat out wrong -- wrong! -- for your laminated card to assume the identity of the missing TB that's the official owner of that code. So your added card definitely should not have the secret code on it. I understand your thinking, and it's handy to have the code on the card, but only the TO has the authority to put that code on anything.

I don't want someone using my tracking number to "help" me because I release my own proxies, and I don't like the laminated paper knock-offs. :)

I'm sure the OP is well meaning... but please let me take care of my geocaches and trackables myself.

So technically, I can't deny this is the right answer. But, still, what the OP is adding is just a laminated card for a TB that's still functioning, so there's no reason to think the TO's released a proxy, and this isn't a knock-off, it's just added documentation in line with the published TB. OK, I still concede that it's not strictly kosher, but, to be honest, I'm sympathetic because I think those cards are a good idea, I'm just too lazy to put one on my TB.

I've recently started adding the code to it as well in case the TB tag goes missing maybe the card will still hang around?

Here, I think the OP has crossed an important line. If the tag "goes missing", then it's gone. In that case, it's just flat out wrong -- wrong! -- for your laminated card to assume the identity of the missing TB that's the official owner of that code. So your added card definitely should not have the secret code on it. I understand your thinking, and it's handy to have the code on the card, but only the TO has the authority to put that code on anything.

If the tag "goes missing", then it's gone. In that case, it's just flat out wrong -- wrong! -- for your laminated card to assume the identity of the missing TB that's the official owner of that code. So your added card definitely should not have the secret code on it. I understand your thinking, and it's handy to have the code on the card, but only the TO has the authority to put that code on anything.

Good point, thank you. I will leave that off and contact TB owner first.

This is the freshened up Anne Tenna bug I mentioned above. Again, nowhere do I put my information.

https://img.geocaching.com/track/log/large/ba309a76-cae8-4342-b23b-5566a380b170.jpg?rnd=0.8972132

So far I've gotten nothing but thank yous for the cards. I do appreciate the opinions expressed and I will definitely contact the TBO first. Thanks!

Edited by pineapple_pi
I do tell the owners but that is generally after the fact. I read an old post talking about "TB fleas". Does this fall under that category? I thought I was helping but there was so much talk about not adding anything to someone else's bug. Can I get some opinions / guidance on this? For what it's worth, so far no TB owner has been unhappy.

Please consider placing the TB as is. You found it in a cache, and perhaps logged it, and that's my expectation for my Trackables, that they continue to be found and placed, and logged. If the TB page says to add things, or if the Owner contacts you for the favor, then it's OK.

When finders are doing things to my Trackables beyond what I intended, I am unhappy. But because the finders are holding my TB, and they obviously know better than me how to manage my TB, and they are releasing it upon my approval, I'm in the awkward position of pronouncing how happy I am about that... because there are always... consequences... for disapproval. :ph34r:

There is pretty much the same creepiness with empty, unending "Visits" where the taker keeps it forever. You'll see the takers insist that everybody likes this practice, that the owners are thrilled about it. Or else.

Edited by kunarion

If that card becomes separated from my TB then I have two TB in play at one time. A laminated mission card may be OK with some TB owners, but I think most of us experienced geocachers have visited a cache that shows a trackable in it's inventory just to find one of those awful homemade laminated proxy cards. :(

If that card becomes separated from my TB then I have two TB in play at one time. A laminated mission card may be OK with some TB owners, but I think most of us experienced geocachers have visited a cache that shows a trackable in it's inventory just to find one of those awful homemade laminated proxy cards. :(

That's why I stressed that the card shouldn't have the tracking code on it so it can't possibly be mistaken for the actual trackable.

That's why I stressed that the card shouldn't have the tracking code on it so it can't possibly be mistaken for the actual trackable.

A mission card may be nice, right up until someone keeps the trackable and leaves the card in the next cache they find. :rolleyes:

Looks great! Thanks for the care you are putting in to the TBs you find.

I'll agree with everyone that you might check with the TB owner first, but personally I would be thrilled.

The one thing I wanted to mention -- when you punch a hole in your tag, try to set it up so that you don't punch through the paper. If you do, the paper can wick the moisture in.

I often snip a corner off the paper before I laminate, and then punch through the laminate in that space.

I'll agree with everyone that you might check with the TB owner first, but personally I would be thrilled.

The one thing I wanted to mention -- when you punch a hole in your tag, try to set it up so that you don't punch through the paper. If you do, the paper can wick the moisture in.

I often snip a corner off the paper before I laminate, and then punch through the laminate in that space.

Wow, I never would have thought about that, thank you!!!

or you can snap on a grommet so it achieves the same results and prevents fraying of the plastic.

or you can snap on a grommet so it achieves the same results and prevents fraying of the plastic.

Thanks for the idea!