Needs Maintenance beeing phased out?

If they really meant to phase it out, they'd remove it from the API, forcing partner-app developers to remove Needs Maintenance from their apps as well.

I see that my app of choice, Locus, still has that option, their team stays on top of things, and their forums would've lit up if that feature was removed or stopped working.

So... Draw your own conclusion.

The Free Muggle app is a beginners only app designed to keep those pesky NM's & NA's from being logged by noobs that could not find an LPC because they don't know to look under the skirt. :anibad:

there is no "free muggle app".

there is only one app for all users regardless of user type (paid or not).

I'm using Groundspeak's app and c:geo, so there's clearly more than one app.

Strange. My first thought was maybe one had to be a premium member to get it. Nope...it's not there.

Then I thought maybe it was only available once a cache was previously logged. Nope...still not there.

So maybe they are trying to discourage NM logs from the mobile app, requiring users to log it from a browser instead...which could be better or could be worse. Better in that it discourages excess NM logs, particularly for caches that don't really need them. Worse in that caches that DO need maintenance may not be tagged with a NM log because of the extra effort involved.

Or maybe they just messed up the latest version and it'll be added back in in a later update?

We are only discussing the Groundspeak app, and there is now only one.

If you want to discuss other apps then go to another part of the forums

Boohoo, someone contradicted me.

^^ not helpful...and somewhat immature response.

The Free Muggle app is a beginners only app designed to keep those pesky NM's & NA's from being logged by noobs that could not find an LPC because they don't know to look under the skirt. :anibad:

Right, Groundspeak's free Geocaching app, which allows smartphone users with no real understanding of geocaching (aka, muggles) to access geocache data, find geocaches, and post logs.

That is the "free muggle app" that Manville Possum was referring to.

But the same app is what paid geocachers also use.

It's the same app.

There is no "muggle" app.

I would expect that "muggles with apps" tend to use Groundspeak's free Geocaching apps. Sure, "real geocachers" can also use Groundspeak's free Geocaching apps, but I would expect the users of third-party apps to be predominantly "real geocachers" with virtually no "muggles with apps".

You can see how Groundspeak's free Geocaching app might not win points with cache owners who are tired of dealing with the fallout caused by "muggles with apps".

Is Groundspeak phasing out the Needs Maintenance log type? It's not available in the new Android app.

Yikes, it's a useful tool that some are afraid to use. NM, then NA. Hope it shows up!

There's been plenty of discussion around adding Needs Maintenance (and the other misc log types). We're looking into ways to make them available without confusing newbie users with a plethora of log types.

Just remember, everyone had zero finds at one point.
Sure. But once upon a time, you had to learn something about geocaching before finding that first cache. An experienced geocacher might teach you, or you might read about geocaching online and decided to give it a try. But you couldn't just install an app, hit "Go", and find a cache without knowing at least something about the game and how it works.

The reality is that there are cache owners who are hiding caches in specific ways, specifically so those caches won't be visible to basic members using Groundspeak's free Geocaching app.

"real geocachers".... I've heard it all now.

I'm a premium member and also had the old paid app, and have never used a third party app. Does that qualify me to be a "real geocacher"?

The elitism from some people is quite amusing.

I'd never heard of geocaching until c:geo popped up in the Android store and I downloaded it. It was this muggle's first exposure to geocaching and I didn't even know about an "official" app until after I'd already found a couple caches.

Right, Groundspeak's free Geocaching app, which allows smartphone users with no real understanding of geocaching (aka, muggles) to access geocache data, find geocaches, and post logs.

That is the "free muggle app" that Manville Possum was referring to.

Exactly what I was meaning. Groundspeak's free Geocaching app is just a version of their intro app that caused all the problems for geocache owners a few years ago. The smartphone noobs joined the game, trashed GZ and posted NA's on listings that they could not find. A "real geocacher" would have just tossed out a repair cache. :laughing:

I would guess that most of us veteran geocachers are using smartphones with other than groundspeaks app. Now that I'm back to basic membership, if I had to use Groundspeak's free Geocaching app I would just quit geocaching and go catch Pokemons. :( For a PM, it's not a bad app at all, but limited. B)

Sure. But

1) once upon a time, you had to learn something about geocaching before finding that first cache. An experienced geocacher might teach you, or you might read about geocaching online and decided to give it a try. But you couldn't just install an app, hit "Go", and find a cache without knowing at least something about the game and how it works.

2) The reality is that there are cache owners who are hiding caches in specific ways, specifically so those caches won't be visible to basic members using Groundspeak's free Geocaching app.

1 I'm curious what had to be learned... specifically?

2 you mean terrain qualifiers, or just premium subscriptions?

There's been plenty of discussion around adding Needs Maintenance (and the other misc log types). We're looking into ways to make them available without confusing newbie users with a plethora of log types.

That speaks volumes.

If we're worried about the (admittedly multi-syllabic) words "Needs Maintenance" being confusing, then clearly this app is aimed at the greener-than-green newbie.

So calling it "the muggle app" isn't too far off-base.

Sure. But

1) once upon a time, you had to learn something about geocaching before finding that first cache. An experienced geocacher might teach you, or you might read about geocaching online and decided to give it a try. But you couldn't just install an app, hit "Go", and find a cache without knowing at least something about the game and how it works.

2) The reality is that there are cache owners who are hiding caches in specific ways, specifically so those caches won't be visible to basic members using Groundspeak's free Geocaching app.

1 I'm curious what had to be learned... specifically?
All the basic things that define the game, like:
  • Sign and date the logbook.
  • Trade up, trade even, or don't trade.
  • How to log and move trackables.
  • And don't leave anything dangerous, illegal, edible, or scented.
  • Re-hide the container exactly where and how you found it.
  • Log your find online.
  • Caches are hidden by local geocachers like you.
  • Cache owners appreciate logs that "share geocaching stories" (as opposed to TFTC or +1 logs).
  • But don't include spoilers in your logs.
  • The device probably won't put you right at the cache location; stop looking at your device when you get close.
  • No digging, defacing property, etc.
  • Use DNF logs when you don't find it.
  • The meaning of difficulty/terrain ratings, cache sizes, cache types, etc.
  • And more.

Admittedly, even in "the good ol' days", not everyone got all this information when they started. But they started with a lot more of an understanding than a lot of today's "muggles with apps" do.

2 you mean terrain qualifiers, or just premium subscriptions?
I've seen examples of owners using difficulty/terrain ratings, cache types, and PMO status to keep their caches from being visible to "muggles with apps".

Is Groundspeak phasing out the Needs Maintenance log type? It's not available in the new Android app.

Yikes, it's a useful tool that some are afraid to use. NM, then NA. Hope it shows up!

Then keep every thing as it was, a small easy basic intro app, with low funktions and limited caches for newbies, and the PROPER app for the rest of us.......

Then keep every thing as it was, a small easy basic intro app, with low funktions and limited caches for newbies, and the PROPER app for the rest of us.......

Absolutely! Especially since the old app we paid for (which no longer functions properly and is no longer supported) had that functionality. I can't recall ever seeing an app "improved" by removing functionality and options for the sole purpose of making it "easier" for someone unfamiliar with the app to use it. It's like stripping out all the formatting options in Microsoft Word and making it work like Notepad because "it'll be less confusing to new users".

Edited by Team Monkeyboy
It's like stripping out all the formatting options in Microsoft Word and making it work like Notepad because "it'll be less confusing to new users".

Which may be a valid business decision if you're in the business of selling subscriptions, rather than apps.

And in your example, fully-functional alternatives like OpenOffice or LibreOffice do exist. Note parallels with this game. cool.gif