What is the protocol for attending a local event?

Wise_Old__Wizard

I'm new to geocaching (started last month) and am hoping to attend a local geocaching event mid-August to meet other cachers. But I'm not sure if I should be bringing anything, like pathtags to swap etc. As I'm new I don't have anything like that yet, so was hoping I can get away with baking some muffins and bringing them along to share, LOL! Any tips on attending my first event would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Far as I know, you are under no obligation to bring or do anything aside from signing the log sheet at the event.

Read the event description, though. Sometimes they are themed or on a particular topic...so it does help (but isn't required) to have something to contribute to that.

I'm new to geocaching (started last month) and am hoping to attend a local geocaching event mid-August to meet other cachers. But I'm not sure if I should be bringing anything, like pathtags to swap etc. As I'm new I don't have anything like that yet, so was hoping I can get away with baking some muffins and bringing them along to share, LOL! Any tips on attending my first event would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reading the event description should tell you everything you need to know. Every event is different.

Sounds like home-baked goodies would go over very well. Great way to introduce yourself, and get folks to remember you. B)

Just keep watch on the number of "will attends" so you will have an idea of how many to take. :o One "will attend" could include more than one person. Read the logs carefully.

We've got name tags that we made up and wear to events. Quick and easy for others to see our caching name.

Some folks will bring trackables they have and log them into the event. Others can take them off their hands. Unfortunately, events can be a black hole for trackables, as people take them and don't log them properly.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Our first couple of events were horrible.

We sorta sat in a corner, while folks (obviously friends) chatted with each other.

Finally the other 2/3rds let me be me (not a shy person...), and we started being asked if we were going to events.

I believe it had a lot to do with the crayon manufacturer products we'd bring with us to keep the kids occupied... :laughing:

Anyway ... if you're just gonna sit in a corner and watch others, expect to have little interaction.

Get out there and introduce yourself to a few folks, and you'll be fine. :)

Our first couple of events were horrible.

We sorta sat in a corner, while folks (obviously friends) chatted with each other.

Finally the other 2/3rds let me be me (not a shy person...), and we started being asked if we were going to events.

I believe it had a lot to do with the crayon manufacturer products we'd bring with us to keep the kids occupied... :laughing:

Anyway ... if you're just gonna sit in a corner and watch others, expect to have little interaction.

Get out there and introduce yourself to a few folks, and you'll be fine. :)

Yep. Post your Will Attend, say you're new and looking forward to meeting others, then any decent Event host/attendees will be looking out for you!

Edited by Bear and Ragged