Geocoin Mismatch

dtap60

I picked up a trackable Geocoin this week. Unfortunately the coin number and TB number did not match. I contacted the owner - asking if she could correct. She responded "I logged in to my account to attempt to make changes necessary; however, I don't see the option to change the coin #! Any ideas? I'm very surprised that the coin was still there!" Perhaps someone can give me direction on how I can log the pick-up and move it along to a new home?

The tracking # engraved on the coin is not the same as the TB number listed on the coin page. The TB # is for public use, if you need to reference it or link to the coin page without using the tracking # that is only to be available and used by those who have come in physical contact with the coin and can therefore log discovery, pick up, grab or drop.

If you are looking to log the coin use the tracking # and examine the digits carefully.... 8s can look like Bs, Is can look like 1s, don't mistake an 0 for an O etc.

The tracking # engraved on the coin is not the same as the TB number listed on the coin page. The TB # is for public use, if you need to reference it or link to the coin page without using the tracking # that is only to be available and used by those who have come in physical contact with the coin and can therefore log discovery, pick up, grab or drop.

If you are looking to log the coin use the tracking # and examine the digits carefully.... 8s can look like Bs, Is can look like 1s, don't mistake an 0 for an O etc.

Hi Droo, I understand the difference between the tracking # engraved on the coin and the TB number listed on the coin page. Unfortunately the owner likely had multiple coins and assigned the wrong coin number to the TB #. I did received advice from cerberus1 to instruct the owner of the coin to contact Groundspeak help center to resolve the issue - which I have now done. If she decided not to contact them for help, perhaps I'll make it a honorary collectible.

I was going to reply with something similar to what Droo posted, but with your reply to his post you have me confused what you are really asking. The coin owner doesn't assign the tracking number or the TB# to a coin. The tracking number is put on when the coin is minted and the associated TB# is determined by Groundspeak. The average coin owner has no control over those two numbers.

My first guess was this:

for example, the owner has a gold and a silver coin. If you enter the # of the gold coin the description/photo tells you it's the silver one and vice versa. That seems to happen sometimes if people just activate too much at once. But this is a problem the coin owner can fix.

Second guesses:

- there was at least one mint of the 2005 puzzle coins where the orange and green coins were assigned to the wrong icons (some people successfully aked Groundspeak to switch that, but most owners didn't - probably because they didn't notice)

- geocoinshop.de failed with their Yin-Yang- coins at least in one mint (icons switched), and most Germany-Coins are spread over several different icons as well.

- if we are talking about a Red Remembrance Poppies coin - there is a lot of chaos and confusion about the icons going on.

- if I remember correctly, there was a coin mentioned in the forums once where the mint made an error and printed the TB-# on the coins, and Groundspeak actually made tracking codes out of them...

- few people upload a picture of a coin that shows another coin's tracking code on it. Others put the TB-code on their photo where the code is supposed to be.

Thanks so much for your help. Sorry for the confusion. The coin is from pathtags.com which is not approved by Groundspeak. When I tried to track the number on the coin at "Track a Geocoin" here: My link the system indicates that "The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system." That caused me to think that I had a problem and the reason for my post. I was however able to log into the coin page with a note indicating that I had found the coin for the owner. Hope that makes sense to you folks and that I am doing things correctly.

Edited by dtap60

Thanks so much for your help. Sorry for the confusion. The coin is from pathtags.com which is not approved by Groundspeak. When I tried to track the number on the coin at "Track a Geocoin" here: My link the system indicates that "The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system." That caused me to think that I had a problem and the reason for my post. I was however able to log into the coin page with a note indicating that I had found the coin for the owner. Hope that makes sense to you folks and that I am doing things correctly.

Coins and TBs trackable at Groundspeak have "Trackable at Groundspeak.com" or "Trackable at Geocaching.com" on them. Otherwise they are not trackable on this site.