Cannot get caches downloaded to my Garmin Dakota

armadillogal

New browsers are dropping support for Garmin Communicator and other plug-ins that use similar methods. The plug-ins are a security risk.

On a cache page, click the “GPX File” button (basic members must use the “LOC waypoint file” button). Save the file in the /Garmim/GPX folder of the GPS receiver. This does what the Communicator does, except that you have more control over the files. You'll place unzipped Pocket Queries in a similar way, and they're a better solution for most cachers than loading one cache at a time.

If you'd prefer a lot of extra work keeping Garmin Communicator functioning, get familiar with how to do that. Remember that it tends to require adjusting technical settings on the computer and special downloads, that you may get it working today and not tomorrow, that it may work for now in another browser, that it's fine for some people while you can't even get it to work, or that you'll just plain need to keep fixing it at times:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=334207&view=findpost&p=5538114

Edited by kunarion

All of a sudden after the last Windows 10 update now none of my browsers will work with Garmin Communicator...

For the time being... IE11 still works.

You can also use BaseCamp, by instance.

Not on my computer....

We're sorry. Your web browser, Internet Explorer v11.0 (trident v7.0) 32bit on Microsoft Windows 10 64bit, is not configured to support map downloads.

All of a sudden after the last Windows 10 update now none of my browsers will work with Garmin Communicator...

You can also use BaseCamp, by instance.

^^^^

This. While browser to GPS communication can be useful, downloading waypoint to a waypoint manager such as Basecamp, EasyGPS, or GSAK is a better way to manage a large collection of cache data.

New browsers are dropping support for Garmin Communicator and other plug-ins that use similar methods. The plug-ins are a security risk.

To be more accurate, the plugin technology (NPAPI) is a security risk. The Garmin communicator plugin or other plugins which use the NPAPI are not necessarily a security risk unless they take advantage of the security hole that NPAPI opens up.

On a cache page, click the “GPX File” button (basic members must use the “LOC waypoint file” button). Save the file in the /Garmim/GPX folder of the GPS receiver. This does what the Communicator does, except that you have more control over the files. You'll place unzipped Pocket Queries in a similar way, and they're a better solution for most cachers than loading one cache at a time.

If you'd prefer a lot of extra work keeping Garmin Communicator functioning, get familiar with how to do that. Remember that it tends to require adjusting technical settings on the computer and special downloads, that you may get it working today and not tomorrow, that it may work for now in another browser, that it's fine for some people while you can't even get it to work, or that you'll just plain need to keep fixing it at times:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=334207&view=findpost&p=5538114

I don't even see my GPS on my screen to open it or anything. It's like it's not plugged in and it is.