Maps - availability and legal issues

richlv

This is partially discussed in these two threads :

* http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=339816

* http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=340138

As those threads also venture in other topics, this thread is intended to talk about the default site map issues only.

a) the current 'leaflet' map option uses Google maps. The map view says "copyright google". If you click the "about our maps" link, the copyright section says "Map data © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under the Open Data Commons Open Database License (ODbL)."

This is wrong and might be a legal issue.

B) right now the cache map is not completely useless... but close to. MapQuest Open was good, the MapBox was good - the current state is terrible. Just compare this section in OpenStreetMap (note the singular "Map" in the name) and Google maps :

VYEYVb0.png

Please bring back OSM-based maps. MapBox, some other provider, render your own... whichever way :)

There are still a number of OSM based maps available in the map selection box (top right corner of the map screen), it's just that Google now seems to be the default.

Only google is available on the cache pages without using some extensions and I agree Google is about the worst option outside of cities I could imagine.

MartyBartfast, thank you - i had indeed overlooked that option and it solves the biggest issue.

still, as cezanne notes, cache pages (and trackable map, although that one is less of an issue) is google maps now - and i'm fairly surprised by how much better osm is...

There are still a number of OSM based maps available in the map selection box (top right corner of the map screen), it's just that Google now seems to be the default.

Yes, I've just noticed that as well. What's up with that? Can't the webpage remember my map preferences anymore? I prefer Thunderforest OpenCycleMap, but now I have to select it every time.

Is the map test still on? There's been nothing about it lately in the Release Notes, and it's been, what, a month now?

Similar to the OP above, which I believe refers to the full-page map, things are also messed up on the cache page map. That map is, temporarily at least (I hope!) a Google map.

• You can't click the Terms of Use link.
  • You can't click the Report a map error link. (That's a Google link, isn't it?)
  • The About our maps link takes you to a page about OSM and Leaflet, not Google.

I'm surprised you haven't been smothered by lawyers yet. (Or have you?)