Finding a Location and what to bring, raffles, etc?

Some events I've been to people have raffle tickets to give to the people, some ask you to pay for a raffle ticket and some have given them to all the Geocachers that speak to and/or near one of the hosts. What kind of things can I bring to raffle off and what is the protocol whether to give them to all or have them pay for a raffle ticket?

Basically the answer is do whatever you want. It is ypur event after all.

We have an annual 3 day event. 2 events Friday, 3 on Saturday 1 on Sunday. At each event everyone get a ticket for free and they get drawn for smaller prizes. Cache containers, gift cards, flashlights, stuff like that. The main event will also have some stuff you pay for. Usually tickets to some sort of game with a larger prize, and then a "grand prize" or 2, that you buy tickets for. A lot of these prizes are donated so the money we get goes to the events.

Smaller events are usually a few prizes donated by the host, or a few other cachers, and they are just free.

Of course if you're buying the prizes, paying for the tickets (say 5 for a dollar for example) to recover the cost isn't a big deal. Now if you are trying to make money, then IMO that's wrong. Notice that I said "you." We are a geocaching club, and look to make a bit of money so we can continue these events. We also don't charge registration fees or anything, so it's still not for profit.

Basically the answer is do whatever you want. It is ypur event after all.

We have an annual 3 day event. 2 events Friday, 3 on Saturday 1 on Sunday. At each event everyone get a ticket for free and they get drawn for smaller prizes. Cache containers, gift cards, flashlights, stuff like that. The main event will also have some stuff you pay for. Usually tickets to some sort of game with a larger prize, and then a "grand prize" or 2, that you buy tickets for. A lot of these prizes are donated so the money we get goes to the events.

Smaller events are usually a few prizes donated by the host, or a few other cachers, and they are just free.

Of course if you're buying the prizes, paying for the tickets (say 5 for a dollar for example) to recover the cost isn't a big deal. Now if you are trying to make money, then IMO that's wrong. Notice that I said "you." We are a geocaching club, and look to make a bit of money so we can continue these events. We also don't charge registration fees or anything, so it's still not for profit.

I'm thinking about getting a few "prizes" and maybe giving the first 2 people to arrive one and them, and everyone else can get any additional tickets for $2 each or 3 for $5. But it depends on how many "will attends" I get. Definitely going to bring some stuff....

Now, to find a location. Like hiding a cache, you need permission, do I call the location and ask if I can have an event there?

It depends on the location. If it is inside a restaurant or other business then yes you should contact the owner/manager for permission. If you are just having it outside at a park for instance you might not need permission, although if you plan on using a large pavilion at a park they do usually require to reserve and pay for the use of those. Like I said it really depends on the location.

Now, to find a location. Like hiding a cache, you need permission, do I call the location and ask if I can have an event there?

It depends on the location. If it is inside a restaurant or other business then yes you should contact the owner/manager for permission. If you are just having it outside at a park for instance you might not need permission, although if you plan on using a large pavilion at a park they do usually require to reserve and pay for the use of those. Like I said it really depends on the location.

Should I call and ask if I can have a group in the restaurant for about an hour and only in the corner at lets say 7-8pm and purchasing items from the restaurant is optional.

This isn't rocket science!

Why are you having the meeting? (Don't use the term "event" outside of geocaching.) Is it a meet & greet, is it to swap stories, is it to train on the new challenge guidelines, is it to train on the use of NA, etc? How many people do you expect to come. You can use your experience attending events, or maybe consult with the reviewer about events that have been held your area. (He can search archived caches, you can't.)

Now that you know what the meeting is for and have an idea on what the attendance might be, GO VISIT candidate locations in your area, preferably during the time of day you plan to host the meeting. What is the atmosphere? You don't want a 4 star white table cloth place unless they have a separate room. A noise pizza shop might be great. Do they have tables that can be moved around if needed, a separate room, or an isolate wing that you could use? When you have your list of possible sites, pick your favorite and talk to the manager in person about your idea. The manager is running a business and expects it to produce revenue so keep that in mind when you are selling your idea.

Be sure to allow time to do all this, then write up the cache page, then get it reviewed and published with sufficient time remaining for cachers to plan to attend.

Raffle prizes and ticket costs should be the least of your concerns. You might design some custom path tags to hand out that would be souvenirs of the event. I've seen some clever ones made using laminated poker chips.

Good luck with your event, I hope it goes well for you.

I have never been to an event where I was asked to pay for a raffle ticket, but I have attended a few where the event host gives away free food and trackables to attendees. :)

Was just going to post the exact same thing.. NEVER have I been charged for a raffle ticket. I've been to events where buying something or winning a game might "improve" your chances of winning.

I decided to have the event at the park nearby. I can't seem to find information from the village or town sites on reserving the pavillion? Should I call the village clerk office to see if they have information on if I can/can't use either pavillion?

It usually depends on how big the park is and how big the particular pavilion is that you plan on using. If you can find a phone number or email for the Town or village Parks Department that would be best. If not I would say just call town hall or something like that and ask if it's required for you to reserve it. You might not have to

I decided to have the event at the park nearby. I can't seem to find information from the village or town sites on reserving the pavillion? Should I call the village clerk office to see if they have information on if I can/can't use either pavillion?

It usually depends on how big the park is and how big the particular pavilion is that you plan on using. If you can find a phone number or email for the Town or village Parks Department that would be best. If not I would say just call town hall or something like that and ask if it's required for you to reserve it. You might not have to

There is no "parks" department on either site so should I call the village clerk or mayor or town supervisor?

There is no "parks" department on either site so should I call the village clerk or mayor or town supervisor?

I found this on the village of Newark website.

If you have any questions about the parks or wish to reserve a pavilion, please call the Alex Eligh Community Center at (315)-331-2532.

If you have any questions about the parks or wish to reserve a pavilion, please call the Alex Eligh Community Center at (315)-331-2532.

Or this website, depending on which park you're planning on using. http://www.co.wayne.ny.us/bg_parks/

Or this website, depending on which park you're planning on using. http://www.co.wayne.ny.us/bg_parks/

I specifically said it was a village/town park so I will call the AECC.