Mission GC Summer Souvenirs

niraD

If your premium you should have gotten it today (last email)

If you read any of this thread, you will find out that numerous people have not been receiving the "mission" emails. There has been a problem since the very beginning.

And if you read post #264, you will find out the reason why.

So, again... for the folks who might not have gotten this last "mission" email...

http://view.communication.geocaching.com/?qs=ddd4d6eb1ce9d482068d1ebecb543f4c54108e371aa81ffa9a755ca5870508cd6b3420cbb8c195d3bd524e0d2960481e4d8904d33b09fa9dfa4d216b82cd64704ac92547b6a14be9

B.

If your premium you should have gotten it today (last email)

I never received any of these supposed emails. That is despite careful checking of all the boxes to send me stuff, logging out and back in, making sure nothing was getting bounced, etc.

My overall impression is that the August activity backfired badly; rather than being a successful marketing campaign, it instead highlighted gc.com's inability to fix a pretty important problem.

ETA: I take it back! I got the third email today! So at least the email problems are partly fixed.

i NEVER got an email about either mission. But I am checking out the current mission. Tried "Team", "Geocaching" "Green" "Flag" nothing that makes sense seems to be working and everybody says this one is easy.

i NEVER got an email about either mission. But I am checking out the current mission. Tried "Team", "Geocaching" "Green" "Flag" nothing that makes sense seems to be working and everybody says this one is easy.

You need to click "view photographic evidence" to see each of the images that create the encoded message.

B.

You need to click "view photographic evidence" to see each of the images that create the encoded message.

B.

Yeah I am viewing all the "Evidence" and nothing seems to reveal the code word.

While the thread contains some complaints about the logistics of the promotion (bad email commo, etc.) and some compliments, and most of it seems to be about finding more clues, I'd like to add that the promotion is healthy from my perspective. I don't have hundreds of finds, I use geocacheing as a reason to get outside and do something. The promotion gives me a goal, even though I don't care about the reward. So I have forced myself to work three specific types of caches into my life in three short, specific time periods. As a result, I have learned about a few new caching types (i.e., puzzle, multi, favorites), I had a nice, long hike with my son and introduced him to caching, next weekend I'll have a nice canoeing experience with my wife and my pup. I'll have had a couple of strong workouts and some creative brain activity.

I'll also encourage my nephew, a new college freshman, to continue to geocache so he won't become a couch potato in college.

Whatever the flaws in the promotion, thanks for doing it. It's a good effort.

This morning, it became even easier. On the search page of Geocaching.com, there's a banner titled "New Souvenir" that says "Find any geocache or attend an event to earn a new souvenir". That is from last week's code, Souvenir #2. I never get these emails.

Although I can't figure out "very easy" Mystery Caches :yikes:, I immediately had a plan for the one linked a few posts back (Pup Patrol's link, the most recent code). I worked it just now and solved it just fine. I'd expect that it will be displayed in a banner next weekend here. So if you haven't solved it by then, look at the banner.

One cool thing if you follow the previously posted link, is the other Missions are also still there, at least the code word entry page. They aren't being deleted as new ones come up. So there may be a way to see what the previous puzzles were. I missed puzzles for #1 and #2. Are there links to those puzzles? Before you say anything, yes, I know the souvenirs are only for specific days. Show me the puzzle.

[EDIT: I now have all 3 puzzles! Thanks! And that one with license plates... hmm... gotta go look at that again...]

Edited by kunarion

Yeah! I finally figured out Mission #3! I looked at the email at work but my school blocked the pictures. Hectic first couple weeks at school. This weekend I was able to solve it. Now off to plot this find. It may take me a while! Thank you Headquarters for a fun August! Now I always look forward to August even with school starting! A visit to GC Headquarters is on my Bucket List (from Georgia).

The biggest disappointment for me is what you see when you solve it. I like the puzzles and it's interesting to wrap it up in a little bit of 'spy intrigue'...but then all you get for the effort is a message that says "Find a _____ cache on August __ or __". A bit anticlimactic, in my opinion... :ph34r:

B.

Pond Bird, Google "Flag Signal Alphabet" and look for pictures that will help you.

B.

Pond Bird, Google "Flag Signal Alphabet" and look for pictures that will help you.

Better yet, Google "Monty Python Wuthering Heights".

B.

I sent you an email telling you what you need to do. I sent that a few days ago.

Flag color means nothing here.

Don't know what will be next but found out I got another souvenir this weekend without doing anything special ( I like non traditionals anyway). This weekend's caches were prepared during the previous 3-4 weeks as we stayed overnight in the area. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if I'd get the next souvenir too without any effort. ;)

Ok quoting myself is lame but seems I was right.

Did as I always do and seems I got another souvenir for whatever was needed this weekend plus got one because I got the other ones too. Seems I "completed" a mission without knowing what to do in advance :lol:

I got all 3 souvenirs this summer. I'm an official agent! I did not cheat I went out and found 3 caches, although I had to do some time-planning do to work.

What an odd thing to highlight... :blink:

I saw in the log for the puzzle cache he found that he said that there were no other signatures in the log that day for that cache. One other cacher found it that day (someone I know personally) that logged the cache before Pond Bird did. He is accusing this person of not actually finding the cache but claiming it to get the souvenir. Although it is ENTIRELY POSSIBLY that the person found the cache after Pond Bird but got around to logging it online first... GC6PNAP

I got all 3 souvenirs this summer. I'm an official agent! I did not cheat I went out and found 3 caches, although I had to do some time-planning do to work.

What an odd thing to highlight... :blink:

I saw in the log for the puzzle cache he found that he said that there were no other signatures in the log that day for that cache. One other cacher found it that day (someone I know personally) that logged the cache before Pond Bird did. He is accusing this person of not actually finding the cache but claiming it to get the souvenir. Although it is ENTIRELY POSSIBLY that the person found the cache after Pond Bird but got around to logging it online first... GC6PNAP

The person who is being accused should consider taking it up with TPTB. Using a cache log to start vicious rumours about other geocachers is likely a violation of the TOS somehow. It certainly isn't in keeping with the spirit of the game.

It seems that your geocaching community is having a tremendous amount of difficulty with a single troublemaker. Bringing it to the forum probably isn't the best course of action for dealing with persistent harassment and generally malicious behaviour.

If you scan these forums, an outsider would think that all cachers are liars, cheaters, thieves, power trail addicts, all about numbers, throwdowners, and all around "poor citizens".

That couldn't be further from the truth. We often discuss the 0.01% of the caches/cachers/owners as if it's the norm. Give people some credit and cut them some slack.

If you scan these forums, an outsider would think that all cachers are liars, cheaters, thieves, power trail addicts, all about numbers, throwdowners, and all around "poor citizens".

That couldn't be further from the truth. We often discuss the 0.01% of the caches/cachers/owners as if it's the norm. Give people some credit and cut them some slack.

How does one interpret this "found it" log then?

Found it

08/27/2016

Found it this afternoon. No one had signed the log besides me before I was here for today. CO may want to check the logbook so people aren't cheating on getting the souvenir this weekend. Thanks for the find.

It's a pretty crude thing to post in a log. One should give others credit, and cut them some slack, before accusing them of cheating in a log, and calling for the CO to check the logbook.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Not to nit pick but, i'd say it was closer to 1 or 2%, at least in my travels. But i do know people who have come up with all kinds of ways to work the system. To be honest though, they aren't doing it maliciously. They are good people, some have become good friends, but that smiley count (and now souvenirs) has them coming up with all kinds of creative rationalizations to claim them.

B.

Pup, I think you misinterpreted my post, as it most definitely was not in support of [redacted]. (Almost ironically illustrating my true point...)

Edited by MKFmly

Not to nit pick but, i'd say it was closer to 1 or 2%, at least in my travels. But i do know people who have come up with all kinds of ways to work the system. To be honest though, they aren't doing it maliciously. They are good people, some have become good friends, but that smiley count (and now souvenirs) has them coming up with all kinds of creative rationalizations to claim them.

And I believe the liar and throw-downer percentage is much higher. Just about every significant cache-streaker I know, new and veteran, would swear up and down, right to left, front to back, that they've never cheated on their 1000+ day streak, when I know for a fact that they did. I'd be willing to bet that all streakers, especially those beyond 366 days, have cheated at least once, if not often.

Found it

08/27/2016

Found it this afternoon. No one had signed the log besides me before I was here for today. CO may want to check the logbook so people aren't cheating on getting the souvenir this weekend. Thanks for the find.

It's a pretty crude thing to post in a log. One should give others credit, and cut them some slack, before accusing them of cheating in a log, and calling for the CO to check the logbook.

Meh. The same rule that says the person writing this log would have done better to have giving the other seeker the benefit of the doubt tells me that it shouldn't bother me that he doesn't. After all, the other seeker knows he signed the log, so what difference does it make to him what this guy thinks?

And I believe the liar and throw-downer percentage is much higher. Just about every significant cache-streaker I know, new and veteran, would swear up and down, right to left, front to back, that they've never cheated on their 1000+ day streak, when I know for a fact that they did. I'd be willing to bet that all streakers, especially those beyond 366 days, have cheated at least once, if not often.

I don't know about where you live, but if I were to count all the people running all the streaks for whatever time in my area, I think it would be about 0.01% of the population, as stated. And that's even allowing you to accuse them all as a group even though you most likely only "know for a fact" about variances by a few of them.

Found it

08/27/2016

B.

I know the accused cacher personally. He's a good friend of mine. He did in fact find the cache and sign the log. He found it AFTER Pond Bird did but just logged it online first.

Let's get back to talking about the Mission GC Souvenirs!

Me, I stink at puzzle caches. Total number of "true puzzles" (solve at home to find the coordinates) that I've logged finds on: about a dozen. I added one more to that total yesterday! It took me visits to three puzzle cache locations before I could score a smiley on the third attempted cache. I *worked* for those last two souvenirs!

Me, I stink at puzzle caches. Total number of "true puzzles" (solve at home to find the coordinates) that I've logged finds on: about a dozen. I added one more to that total yesterday! It took me visits to three puzzle cache locations before I could score a smiley on the third attempted cache. I *worked* for those last two souvenirs!

My dog and I got attacked by a swarm of bees at one puzzle cache we tried to find yesterday. Won't be going back to that one for awhile.

My dog and I got attacked by a swarm of bees at one puzzle cache we tried to find yesterday. Won't be going back to that one for awhile.

We were out of town with a narrow window of opportunity to cache, so we ended up finding a neat little puzzle cache in the middle of the night.

We were out of town with a narrow window of opportunity to cache, so we ended up finding a neat little puzzle cache in the middle of the night.

Around me, night caches are listed as puzzles. That would have been fun to do. I love night caches.

Around me, night caches are listed as puzzles. That would have been fun to do. I love night caches.

This one wasn't specifically a night cache, we just ended up doing it at night because it was the easiest time to grab it. The only muggles around were some night fishermen.

So I think it's time for me to chime in seeing as I am Pond Bird's accused cheater. This guy has got to stop. He is always making new enemies in this game and can never stop causing trouble. You would think he'd have learned when his account was suspended the 1st time but apparently he has not. While I hesitate at reporting him, I feel as though I must simply because of all the things I have witnessed him doing 1st hand. He is a stalker in the worst sense of the term and is never happy unless he's pushing someone's buttons. I understand he suffers from some type of disease and it has garnered him a bunch of sympathy around here but it is totally uncalled for when he is stating he knows where people live and trying to enforce things that he has no business sticking his nose in and I personally am watching everyone's sympathy fade because of it. If someone would suggest where to report him I will gladly. I am only sorry that I can't report all his ghost accounts he has on here as well. It's pitiful that someone does this regularly to a community based game but people should not be unnecessarily tormented just because of his own stupid delusions....

So I think it's time for me to chime in seeing as I am Pond Bird's accused cheater. This guy has got to stop. He is always making new enemies in this game and can never stop causing trouble. You would think he'd have learned when his account was suspended the 1st time but apparently he has not. While I hesitate at reporting him, I feel as though I must simply because of all the things I have witnessed him doing 1st hand. He is a stalker in the worst sense of the term and is never happy unless he's pushing someone's buttons. I understand he suffers from some type of disease and it has garnered him a bunch of sympathy around here but it is totally uncalled for when he is stating he knows where people live and trying to enforce things that he has no business sticking his nose in and I personally am watching everyone's sympathy fade because of it. If someone would suggest where to report him I will gladly. I am only sorry that I can't report all his ghost accounts he has on here as well. It's pitiful that someone does this regularly to a community based game but people should not be unnecessarily tormented just because of his own stupid delusions....

Start with the Help Center.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request

It's evident from some of the threads in this forum that there's been trouble in your community. I hope you're able to get it sorted out. Nobody should feel harassed and threatened for playing this game.

Just about every significant cache-streaker I know, new and veteran, would swear up and down, right to left, front to back, that they've never cheated on their 1000+ day streak, when I know for a fact that they did.

Interestingly, that would revisit the debate about what "cheating" actually entails, because some may merely be disagreeing with you classifying their strategy as "cheating". The only objective cheating is "name not in logbook, but logged as found online", as that's the objective (enforceable) rule for claiming the online Find (log dating ethic is even inferred, not explicitly mentioned). Anything else is an argument over geocaching etiquette, and typically a debate that gets hot very fast. :unsure:

Edited by thebruce0
Just about every significant cache-streaker I know, new and veteran, would swear up and down, right to left, front to back, that they've never cheated on their 1000+ day streak, when I know for a fact that they did.
Interestingly, that would revisit the debate about what "cheating" actually entails, because some may merely be disagreeing with you classifying their strategy as "cheating".
Yep. I've heard people complain about all sorts of things that just seem like basic streak strategy to me.

When I was maintaining a streak, if I was in an area near home or in an area that I visited regularly, then I made a point of finding only one cache per day, saving the rest for later. And if I didn't get around to finding a cache until late at night, then sometimes I'd stay up past midnight to get the next day's cache out of the way too. And I left a few caches very near my home unfound, just in case I needed a last-minute find to maintain the streak.

I don't think any of that is cheating. It's basic streak strategy.

Interestingly, that would revisit the debate about what "cheating" actually entails, because some may merely be disagreeing with you classifying their strategy as "cheating". The only objective cheating is "name not in logbook, but logged as found online", as that's the objective (enforceable) rule for claiming the online Find (log dating ethic is even inferred, not explicitly mentioned). Anything else is an argument over geocaching etiquette, and typically a debate that gets hot very fast. :unsure:

I would agree with bfentje that many streakers do questionable things. I've seen personally, people doing silly things to up find count, say they completed a challenge cache, and GASP :o , to get a souvenir. Again though, i don't think that many purposely set out to cheat. They just rationalize a little differently than some of us. :P

I would agree with bfentje that many streakers do questionable things. I've seen personally, people doing silly things to up find count, say they completed a challenge cache, and GASP :o , to get a souvenir. Again though, i don't think that many purposely set out to cheat. They just rationalize a little differently than some of us. :P

That's what I meant about the debate. If "cheating" can't be defined objectively, then it's one opinion against another. Different strategies that aren't against rules can't be labeled (by one side) as "cheating". It's a discussion of ethic, and it really only remain friendly and productive if it's about the benefits of not using arguable strategies, rather than the criticizing of those who do. And as this is thread is about souvenirs, I think labeling people who use arguable strategies that aren't against the rules as "cheating" is going to lead the thread down a dirty road... :ph34r: