Mission GC Summer Souvenirs

niraD

Off Topic (kind of) - did anyone else get an e-mail today congratulating them on completing Mission GC? I thought there was 1 more mission next weekend?

More frustrating to me is that I didn't get message 1 and 2 (which would have been useful) but I did get this one.

Off Topic (kind of) - did anyone else get an e-mail today congratulating them on completing Mission GC? I thought there was 1 more mission next weekend?

More frustrating to me is that I didn't get message 1 and 2 (which would have been useful) but I did get this one.

Yeah, same here. I had to chase down the actual puzzles, but the email selling me something miraculously made it through unscathed.

I had to re-read the latest email a couple of times to make sure it said what I thought it did. I'm guessing either it's another example of the new borked email system or someone at HQ mistakenly pressed the big red button labelled "DON'T PUSH UNTIL AUGUST 29TH!".

Come to think of it, there must be even more to it. The email says "You successfully completed Mission GC", which presumably means it should only be sent to members that have received all three souvenirs. If the email is being sent to members that haven't received all three souvenirs (which at this time is anyone and everyone), then there's also a fault in the code that's checking for that requirement.

...or I could be overthinking it, and it's just another case of the left hand (marketing) not knowing what the right (the rest of Groundspeak) is doing, and choosing poor wording such that the content won't make sense for many members.

Regardless of which one it is, it's still a fail.

I wouldn't consider it lying or falsifying if you date your EarthCaches on the day you sent the answers to the CO (if that day is after the day you were at the EarthCache site). In order to log an EarthCache as "found," Groundspeak requires that you visit the site AND that you answer the questions. Until you answer the questions, you haven't "found" the EarthCache, so I understand the logic behind dating the "Found It" log as the day you "found" the EarthCache (i.e., on the day you send in the answers, if that's a later date).

This.

Just because an earthcache or virtual cache has no container or log does not mean they are always available. I had to disable one of my earthcaches for six months because of construction in the area. If someone fake-dated their log within the date that it was unavailable, another cacher might rely on that found it log to think that the area was not in fact closed and try to stop by. Then they come to the area and see the locked gate -- they relied on a false log that they assumed to be honest, to their detriment.

This sort of issue arises with Challenge Caches as well. one can physical find the cache on July 1 (like visiting the EC site), but only qualify for it on July 8 (like sending in the answers for the EC), thus log it Found on July 8. Both are allowed processes for the cache type. In these cases, half the work for the "Find" was done when the physical location was available and visited, but the Found log may be posted on a date when the physical location is inaccessible, but it's still valid because the rest of the requirement was fulfilled on that date.

When I read Challenge Cache log history (especially very difficulty ones where it takes a long time for people to qualify but is a very easy find), I treat Find logs differently - they're no longer exclusively implying physical findability on the date. I don't rely on the find log as an indication if I physically locate the cache today. I'd need to read the log contents to find the most recent physical Find. (or access to the Earthcache)

When it comes to souvenirs, I suppose it's really up to the cacher to decide whether they want to date the EC log for the day they visited GZ, or the day they sent in the answers, if the souvenir date is one and not the other. I'm not going to be bothered by that, since as I browse the history I know the Find log date in the history is less precise.

eg, what if you visit the EC on souvenir date, and send in answers the next day? Do you log it found on souvenir day (physical visit) or answers day? It's a "vote your conscience" thing, and imo neither is right or wrong.

The date on my earthcache logs is the date I was at the site. The date I send the email is immaterial to the find, as the email just shows I've met the requirements to log my find.

Let's say I'm on a weekend road trip. On Saturday, I find ten traditional caches, then one earthcache, then two more traditionals, then call it a day. I get up Sunday morning to log the caches, and just before I submit the found it log on the earthcache, I send a message to the cache owner with the EC answers. Why would I date the logs for the traditional caches on Saturday but not the earthcache? It doesn't make sense to log them out of order.

You are not alone O!

(As narcissa has also pointed out)

The date on my earthcache logs is the date I was at the site. The date I send the email is immaterial to the find, as the email just shows I've met the requirements to log my find.

Let's say I'm on a weekend road trip. On Saturday, I find ten traditional caches, then one earthcache, then two more traditionals, then call it a day. I get up Sunday morning to log the caches, and just before I submit the found it log on the earthcache, I send a message to the cache owner with the EC answers. Why would I date the logs for the traditional caches on Saturday but not the earthcache? It doesn't make sense to log them out of order.

That's how I do it as well.

But I'm not against a case where I might visit the earthcache, but do the homework after I get home and date the find then. I do start with the intent to log it the day I visited GZ though, but for whatever reason I wouldn't be against logging it the date I did the work and completed the requirements (though I don't really see a strong reason for that unless the post date for the Found log were important to me - like for a souvenir).

Earthcache is the only cache type where to me that would be an acceptable option, imo (the logic being similar to the challenge cache qualification ALR). Challenge caches are the only other exception, and that one is clearcut - Found it log must be posted the date all requirements are complete. Post a note when found, then a Find when qualified; or vice versa, if not already qualified when found. That's how I practice my dating methods. :)

...but... some people add another layer to challenge caches: Day 1-Found. Day 2-qualified. Day3-spent the time to find out that you're qualified, then log, not thinking about the date.

Personally, if someone does that, I'm not critical, because per the log history thing, I'm already not considering others' Found It logs to imply physical findability on that date, just recognition of found & qualification completion. *shrug*

But it does bug me on physical caches when someone mentions they forgot to log the cache Found when they visited weeks ago, then date it today..instead of weeks ago (whether sincere or not). dry.gif

Edited by thebruce0

Yeah, same here. I had to chase down the actual puzzles, but the email selling me something miraculously made it through unscathed.

The same for me too. More shaking of head in bemusement.

It doesn't make sense to you to log them out of order. If you care about the accuracy of your cache-to-cache distance statistic, then it becomes very important that you keep your cache finds in order.

To others, it makes more sense to log caches on the day you "find" them according to Groundspeak's "find" requirements. According to Groundspeak, you haven't "found" an EarthCache until you both visit the site AND answer the questions to the cache owner's satisfaction. To these people, it makes more sense to date their online "Found It" logs on the day they complete Groundspeak's "Found It" requirements. That day usually is the day they send their EarthCache answers to the cache owner, which often is the same day they visit the site but could be days, weeks, months, or years later.

But I'm not against a case where I might visit the earthcache, but do the homework after I get home and date the find then. I do start with the intent to log it the day I visited GZ though, but for whatever reason I wouldn't be against logging it the date I did the work and completed the requirements (though I don't really see a strong reason for that unless the post date for the Found log were important to me - like for a souvenir).

Earthcache is the only cache type where to me that would be an acceptable option, imo (the logic being similar to the challenge cache qualification ALR). Challenge caches are the only other exception, and that one is clearcut - Found it log must be posted the date all requirements are complete. Post a note when found, then a Find when qualified; or vice versa, if not already qualified when found. That's how I practice my dating methods.

Why would you view that as an acceptable option for EarthCaches and Challenge caches but not for a virtual cache that requires answers to be sent to the CO or a photograph to be uploaded? And what about a Webcam cache that requires a webcam photo to be uploaded? If I visit the webcam site on Monday and don't bother uploading the photo until Friday, then doesn't the same principle apply? I haven't completed the "Found It" requirements until Friday.

Sort of back on topic.. I just got an email from Groundspeak saying

Good work, agent redsox_mark.

You successfully completed Mission GC. Now that you've proven yourself a skilled secret agent, it's time you join the ranks of the world's most famous spies and look like one too.

And selling coins and stuff. But there is one more stage in the mission, right?

It was meant to read that you've successfully completed A mission. As it's worded, it could certainly lead to the impression that the promotion is over. It's not. Sorry for that.

Our email guru had been out of the office on vacation, which is why the issues with messages 1 and 2 were not fixed as quickly as would've been ideal. He returned early this week and was able to get things back in order in time for this week's email. I promise it's not part of a sinister plot to hide puzzle emails while ensuring that everyone sees marketing emails.

People here do try to do good work, but sometimes mistakes are made. Feel free to call us out on it. But I'm confident you can do it without being rude. Posts of this tone (which are coming from you with increasing frequency) are a big reason why more lackeys don't visit the forums. They don't mind constructive criticism. Just don't slather it with a big dollop of meanness.

People here do try to do good work, but sometimes mistakes are made. Feel free to call us out on it. But I'm confident you can do it without being rude. Posts of this tone (which are coming from you with increasing frequency) are a big reason why more lackeys don't visit the forums. They don't mind constructive criticism. Just don't slather it with a big dollop of meanness.

Fair enough. I didn't think I was getting to the point of being rude, but I'll tone things down if my posts are seen that way.

FWIW, it's a catch-22 situation. You say Lackeys don't visit the forums because of frustrated members posting here, but the members would be far less frustrated if the Lackeys visited here more often and communicated what's happening. When we see no response from HQ (despite the fact that we've been told all posts get read), it gives a feeling of being ignored. Back when I first started following the forums, the site and business seemed to be running more smoothly and it seemed like we'd see more communication from Lackeys in the forums, which was nice to see and led to a more friendly and cooperative atmosphere. Recently it has gotten to the point that problems (e.g. Message Center not working for many) go unacknowledged and are quietly fixed without a single piece of communication from HQ. It would be great if we could get back to where things were before and Lackeys could let us know that problems have been acknowledged as being an actual problem, are being worked on, or have been fixed. That would undoubtedly improve the overall tone in the forums and it would be less likely that the members would jump to negative conclusions.

Anyway, I'll be travelling for the next couple of weeks, so you won't see any more posts from me for a bit. :grin:

QUESTION: I would really like to get a copy of the actual missions for Mission GC, but no matter what I do, every time I go to the missiongc.com website and click on each mission, it only brings me to the password page.

Yes, I've solved both so far, but I like to collect current GC happenings and I'd like to get a copy of the actual missions. Are they still available somewhere?

QUESTION: I would really like to get a copy of the actual missions for Mission GC, but no matter what I do, every time I go to the missiongc.com website and click on each mission, it only brings me to the password page.

Yes, I've solved both so far, but I like to collect current GC happenings and I'd like to get a copy of the actual missions. Are they still available somewhere?

The first 2 missions are finished.

The window for securing Souvenir #1 is July 30-31, 2016.

The window for securing Souvenir #2 is August 13-14, 2016.

You still have an opportunity to complete the mission for the 3rd souvenir:

The window for securing Souvenir #3 is August 27-28, 2016.

B.

I'd like to get a copy of the actual missions. Are they still available somewhere?

Are you talking about the puzzle to solve ? I still have the image of the maze saved if you need it. Unfortunately, I cleared some clutter in my email folders and don't have the first one anymore.

Here's the first one:

58b988577c.png

FWIW, it's a catch-22 situation. You say Lackeys don't visit the forums because of frustrated members posting here, but the members would be far less frustrated if the Lackeys visited here more often and communicated what's happening. When we see no response from HQ (despite the fact that we've been told all posts get read), it gives a feeling of being ignored.

From a customer service perspective, people want their "stories" heard and that works well in person. Online, people feel much more free to cloud their issues with their "frustrations" and that can often make for a toxic atmosphere. Once people know they have an audience and can have there "frustrations" legitimised; they get "entitled" to personal Groundspeak attention, and it only gets worse not better.

It's more a "dammed if you do and dammed if you don't" situation.

From a customer service perspective, people want their "stories" heard and that works well in person. Online, people feel much more free to cloud their issues with their "frustrations" and that can often make for a toxic atmosphere. Once people know they have an audience and can have there "frustrations" legitimised; they get "entitled" to personal Groundspeak attention, and it only gets worse not better.

One would hope someone that interacts with customers would know how to look past irrelevant emotional responses and focus on the problems. And, in fact, I've seen that done quite well by GS here in the forums and the reviewers everywhere. Has the emotional toll overwhelmed the lackeys' ability to respond?

One would hope someone that interacts with customers would know how to look past irrelevant emotional responses and focus on the problems. And, in fact, I've seen that done quite well by GS here in the forums and the reviewers everywhere. Has the emotional toll overwhelmed the lackeys' ability to respond?

They quite obviously do; those interactions (taking complaints, or disagreeing with your boss, or getting disciplined for something that wasn't your fault) impose emotional tolls regardless of how professional and detached you are. It's not in the Lackey's job description or the majority of others.

Rock Chalk lays it out there...

Why can't they be cut some slack even if they don't respond in a forum thread? Oh right every "irrelevant emotional response" regarding a geocaching niggle is "entitled" to a response.

Nope, didn't get that email, even though we have completed one mission. *see RockChalk's explanation about the poorly worded email*

B.

I immediately knew what was going on but couldn't remember the proper name for it. Took a couple of different googles but once hit, was easy peasy.

These are fun to solve and have helped to get my brain going in the morning. :P Not interested in the souvenirs but for fun, wouldn't mind getting puzzles like these in the mail every once in a while.

Groundspeak, Thanks!

Thanks! I've heard about such emails and their puzzles, but had not seen one. Last week, there was a link on the Geocaching start page, but it led only to a list of caches from the New Search (all Multis, but what was the actual challenge? I never found out). This week, I was certain I've set everything up to get an email, even checkmarking Newsletter and Tips & Tricks. Nope. Still nothing. And nobody details what happened last week or the week before (What was the puzzle? What was the challenge?). Cool, it's exactly like every Geocaching Event ever. :ph34r:

Hey, I even think I could solve this one!

Edited by kunarion

If your premium you should have gotten it today (last email)

I never received any of these supposed emails. That is despite careful checking of all the boxes to send me stuff, logging out and back in, making sure nothing was getting bounced, etc.

My overall impression is that the August activity backfired badly; rather than being a successful marketing campaign, it instead highlighted gc.com's inability to fix a pretty important problem.

ETA: I take it back! I got the third email today! So at least the email problems are partly fixed.

Edited by fizzymagic