Mission GC Summer Souvenirs

niraD

Lovely...this week's is a maze

Not that you're really giving away anything but how about for this one we respect the intentions of Groundspeak and refrain from posting details and spoilers for everyone to see? The initial message for each souvenir is only sent to premium members as a benefit of being a premium member. Basic members and everyone else will get the "solution" to the puzzle on the day the souvenir becomes available.

Not that you're really giving away anything but how about for this one we respect the intentions of Groundspeak and refrain from posting details and spoilers for everyone to see? The initial message for each souvenir is only sent to premium members as a benefit of being a premium member. Basic members and everyone else will get the "solution" to the puzzle on the day the souvenir becomes available.

This would be a reasonable point if Groundspeak had actually put some effort into getting these e-mails delivered correctly. I'm a premium member and NEVER got the e-mail for the first weekend, and haven't yet gotten the e-mail for the second weekend either (and yes, I checked my spam filter). I know a number of other premium members who also never got the e-mail.

Oh, ugh...may as well be a sudoku for me. I've always been lousy at these mazes.

Sad, eh? :lol:

B.

I've done puzzle cache mazes like this before and one thing that I've done that I've found helpful is to look at the maze for dead ends, then use a highlighter to trace path from the dead back to the entrance of that path. Eventually you can eliminate paths that can't be followed to complete the maze.

I've done puzzle cache mazes like this before and one thing that I've done that I've found helpful is to look at the maze for dead ends, then use a highlighter to trace path from the dead back to the entrance of that path. Eventually you can eliminate paths that can't be followed to complete the maze.

Ditto. Exactly what I did here and finished it in minutes. Well I used a paint program :P

This would be a reasonable point if Groundspeak had actually put some effort into getting these e-mails delivered correctly. I'm a premium member and NEVER got the e-mail for the first weekend, and haven't yet gotten the e-mail for the second weekend either (and yes, I checked my spam filter). I know a number of other premium members who also never got the e-mail.

After not receiving first one, I enabled tips and tricks, installed the recommended filter, and made sure to check the spam filter. Nothing this week.

This would be a reasonable point if Groundspeak had actually put some effort into getting these e-mails delivered correctly. I'm a premium member and NEVER got the e-mail for the first weekend, and haven't yet gotten the e-mail for the second weekend either (and yes, I checked my spam filter). I know a number of other premium members who also never got the e-mail

As has been said before, you need to have "tips and tricks" enabled in your email preferences to get these "Mission" emails.

5.16. Mission GC FAQ-2016

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=797

I'll keep trying. Just like caches where I "dnf", everyone else comes along and says "easy", "solved it quickly", etc. :lol:

B.

This would be a reasonable point if Groundspeak had actually put some effort into getting these e-mails delivered correctly. I'm a premium member and NEVER got the e-mail for the first weekend, and haven't yet gotten the e-mail for the second weekend either (and yes, I checked my spam filter). I know a number of other premium members who also never got the e-mail

As has been said before, you need to have "tips and tricks" enabled in your email preferences to get these "Mission" emails.

5.16. Mission GC FAQ-2016

I'll keep trying. Just like caches where I "dnf", everyone else comes along and says "easy", "solved it quickly", etc. :lol:

B.

But even that did not wrk for me.

Ditto. Exactly what I did here and finished it in minutes. Well I used a paint program :P

I just started at the bottom and once I got three letters in I realized it either had to do with Pokémon Go or was the name of a place.

I won't give away which one it is...but the "secret message" was a bit of a letdown. It involves finding a particular kind of cache within a certain date range.

5.16. Mission GC FAQ- 2016

3. Still no email? Contact us at geocaching.com/help.

B.

Well yeah, but the point is that they should make it work, not require us to contact them about fixing it on an individual case.

Also, the initial e-mail announcing this never said anything about having Tips & Tricks selected. I didn't have it checked and I got that e-mail just fine. It's kind of ridiculous that they tell us we're going to get the e-mails, then we don't get them, then we're expected to go figure out that we need to change our settings. That's not exactly what I'd call quality customer service.

http://support.Groun...=kb.page&id=797

B.

Well yeah, but the point is that they should make it work, not require us to contact them about fixing it on an individual case.

Also, the initial e-mail announcing this never said anything about having Tips & Tricks selected. I didn't have it checked and I got that e-mail just fine. It's kind of ridiculous that they tell us we're going to get the e-mails, then we don't get them, then we're expected to go figure out that we need to change our settings. That's not exactly what I'd call quality customer service.

I have a pretty extensive amount of experience with bulk email delivery systems (I developed one for a well known U.S. government agency). As a sender of email messages they can make every effort to send out message to valid email addresses but there is nothing they can do to guarantee that it will be delivered, especially within a specific time period. There are too many factors outside their control that can influence whether or not (and when) an sent email message will be appear in a recipients email in box.

The Tips n Tricks issue was a big oversight but to expect that email is always going to be a 100% reliable form for communication is unrealistic.

Good luck with that. :laughing:

I didn't even know what the last puzzle was, but easily solved it through comments in Groundspeak's own blog.

Don't think my hubby would appreciate me using a highlighter on the monitor.

B.

Just use white out when you are done.

Excellent tip!

Oh, I made this one too difficult, too.

Let my mind go blank, look at the first bit of solved maze, read the hints in the blog comments, clue in, read the GS hints, solve.

Didn't even need to cover much of the monitor with highlighter/whiteout.

Not sure why one would be disappointed. Each secret message will reveal the "mission", which involves finding caches on certain dates, within a set of criteria.

That's what the other souvenir programs have been about in previous years. The "secret" mission part is a bit of a twist. And took some effort on Groundspeak's part to create.

B.

http://support.Groun...=kb.page&id=797

B.

I have a pretty extensive amount of experience with bulk email delivery systems (I developed one for a well known U.S. government agency). As a sender of email messages they can make every effort to send out message to valid email addresses but there is nothing they can do to guarantee that it will be delivered, especially within a specific time period. There are too many factors outside their control that can influence whether or not (and when) an sent email message will be appear in a recipients email in box.

The Tips n Tricks issue was a big oversight but to expect that email is always going to be a 100% reliable form for communication is unrealistic.

True, and if this was a stand-alone incident, or if they seemed to be making any sort of real effort to resolve the problem, then fine. But this basically just feels like yet another example in what is quickly becoming a long line of poor customer service issues. The problem isn't that there was a glitch. Glitches happen all the time. I get that. The problem is that they don't really seem to care.

I really have no idea at all how even to begin with this. Even if we had the first letter it may help xx

I guess I'm not sure why people have trouble with this. It's a maze, just like any other. Solve the maze and worry about the letters afterwards.

Well, I'll just give this one to the hubby to solve--he's amazing with mazes.

I'd be far more concerned about forum spoilers if Groundspeak seemed to be at all concerned with their blog comment spoilers.

I haven't gotten an email yet either... all required checks have been checked. I get the blog and other emails from them so it makes no sense that this one doesn't come through. Very disappointing. :(

I can see it now...

[in a meeting room somewhere at HQ]

Marketing: We have a summer promotion coming up where we'll be sending a bunch of emails to the users.

Dev: We're currently working on some changes to the email system. Should we push out these changes before the promotion, or wait until after just in case something doesn't work as expected?

Project manager: Push out the changes now. What could possibly go wrong...

<Things don't work as expected>

Dev: The email system isn't working reliably after the changes we made. Should we roll them back?

Project manager: No, there isn't anything going on right now that relies on that system. Just leave it as is and try to fix the problem.

I haven't gotten an email yet either... all required checks have been checked. I get the blog and other emails from them so it makes no sense that this one doesn't come through. Very disappointing. :(

I'm dissaponted, but just a little.

I get the newsletter and tips, but not the blog. Didn't get this one.

But...

First day, and know what it is (haven't seen it yet), what's needed, and just looking for the timeframe to solve it (again) without the email anyway. :)

Folks can't get over themselves in conversation I guess.

I'm dissaponted, but just a little.

I get the newsletter and tips, but not the blog. Didn't get this one.

But...

First day, and know what it is (haven't seen it yet), what's needed, and just looking for the timeframe to solve it (again) without the email anyway. :)

Folks can't get over themselves in conversation I guess.

I've gotten over it. I know what is needed to be done now too without having to do the work in finding out.

I really shouldn't be surprised that the system is not working for everyone that it should work for. I've moved on. :)

Nice idea, but there are always those who feel the need..... <_<

Darn... I did not receive the first message because I didn't have "tips and tricks" turned on. Now I turned it on, and I still didn't get the second message. And no, it's not in my spam folder either.

I'm in the same boat. I sent a request to the Help Centre yesterday but just got a boilerplate response telling me to look in the spam folder, which I'd already done. Sigh. I'm getting all the other Groundspeak emails, just not these ones.

Count me among those that haven't even got a reply from Groundspeak. I've managed to get the puzzles from other sources and solve them but it is annoying to do everything suggested and not get the puzzle directly, or even get a reply to an email request.

I'm very disappointed in Groundspeak for not addressing this problem long before now. I'm pretty sure they've gotten enough emails, in addition to this thread, to know very well that there is a major problem.

It's not very nice that a very limited souvenir promotion is being kiboshed by some strange email glitch.

It's particularly strange since GS's stance is that prior notice to PM's is their way of thanking folks for paying for the PM.

Why do only Premium members get the encoded messages in advance?

It is a way for us to thank Premium members who make this game possible for all geocachers around the globe.

Perhaps someone should post this issue in the Website - Bugs subforum?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I'm very disappointed in Groundspeak for not addressing this problem long before now. I'm pretty sure they've gotten enough emails, in addition to this thread, to know very well that there is a major problem.

It's not very nice that a very limited souvenir promotion is being kiboshed by some strange email glitch.

It's particularly strange since GS's stance is that prior notice to PM's is their way of thanking folks for paying for the PM.

It is a way for us to thank Premium members who make this game possible for all geocachers around the globe.

B.

The whole secretive nature of souvenirs is ridiculous. I'm not a premium member and I found and solved the puzzle the same day it was released.

B.

The whole secretive nature of souvenirs is ridiculous. I'm not a premium member and I found and solved the puzzle the same day it was released.

I was thinking the same thing. There's no secret here and really no advantage to getting an email before anyone else. This is something to help make premium look more attractive to potential customers.

I do agree that Groundspeak should take steps to make sure what they promise will happen, does happen. But as we've seen many times with the website, problems and glitches occur. It just seems kinda funny to see people riled up because they didn't get an email on this. If a person wants the souvenir, all they have to do is ask their buddy, ask on their local facebook geocaching page, or ask here in the forums. They'll get all the info they need to get it.

Darn... I did not receive the first message because I didn't have "tips and tricks" turned on. Now I turned it on, and I still didn't get the second message. And no, it's not in my spam folder either.

I'm in the same boat. I sent a request to the Help Centre yesterday but just got a boilerplate response telling me to look in the spam folder, which I'd already done. Sigh. I'm getting all the other Groundspeak emails, just not these ones.

Maybe you need to log out then back in after making the change. I know it does not make sense, but it can't hurt.

Also there have been some glitches with new cache reporting. It may be related.

Edited by Mn-treker

B.

That's only because some people can't keep a secret.

B.

Well, that's the point. Many don't think getting a digital thumbnail in your profile warrants being a secret.

I'd rather say it is because there are many people who seek out help to solve the puzzle and get it in public places like the official geocaching blog.

Anything else that happens is irrelevant when taking the blog into account (which is under GS's control - so apparently they do not care).

I'd rather say it is because there are many people who seek out help to solve the puzzle and get it in public places like the official geocaching blog.

Anything else that happens is irrelevant when taking the blog into account (which is under GS's control - so apparently they do not care).

Geocaching.com's official Twitter account tweeted out a link to the puzzle. Apparently the creators of the secret themselves can't keep their own secret!

I think it's just something fun for people to do - whether it's kept a secret or not. Some will be upset that the secret gets out. Some will do their best to void the secrecy. I don't think GS puts that much weight on keeping it a secret. Because the vast majority of people will not care less, and see it as a fun thing to do; and maybe a few will consider the benefits of premium - not necessarily because they'd get the secret first, but because this fun little side game brought premium membership to their attention.

People seem to be taking this little souvenir side game waaaaay too seriously :laughing:

Geocaching.com's official Twitter account tweeted out a link to the puzzle. Apparently the creators of the secret themselves can't keep their own secret!

Link?

I looked and couldn't see anything about a link to a puzzle. Maybe I'm as non-compliant with twitting as I am with fazebooking.

B.