Mission GC Summer Souvenirs

niraD

Well, it looks like Groundspeak has released the details (okay, maybe not the details, but at least some details) about another summer Souvenir promotion:

Your Mission GC, Should You Choose To Accept It

Each Souvenir will be available for two days:

• The window for securing Souvenir #1 is July 30-31, 2016.
  • The window for securing Souvenir #2 is August 13-14, 2016.
  • The window for securing Souvenir #3 is August 27-28, 2016.

The details for each Souvenir's requirements will be released to everyone the morning it becomes available, or the week prior to premium members.

And as a premium member, Pond Bird is on the secret insider email list. ;)

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2016/07/your-mission-gc-should-you-choose-to-accept-it/

Good morning, geocacher.

Recently, intelligence agents at GCHQ 47 intercepted a series of encoded messages from a highly classified source. We believe these messages include detailed instructions for securing three new geocaching souvenirs. However, our analysts have been unable to decipher their meaning.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, involves decoding these messages and securing these souvenirs for your Geocaching profile. Fair warning: This isn’t mission difficult. It’s Mission GC.

New intel suggests souvenirs will only be available for procurement on the following dates:

The window for securing Souvenir #1 is July 30-31, 2016.

The window for securing Souvenir #2 is August 13-14, 2016.

The window for securing Souvenir #3 is August 27-28, 2016.

Given the top secret nature of this mission, the encoded messages will be sent for analysis only to those with proper security clearance. Premium members will receive an email including the encoded message one week prior to each souvenir release. Decoding the message will unlock instructions for securing the next souvenir. The first encoded message will be sent to Premium members on July 22, 2016.

Instructions for unlocking the souvenirs will be made available to members of all security levels on the morning of each souvenir release. This information will be posted on all major GCHQ 47 channels (Geocaching.com, Geocaching® app, Facebook and Twitter).

As always, should you or any member of your team be caught by muggles, GCHQ 47 will disavow all knowledge of your actions. This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Good luck. The fate of the geocaching universe is in your preferred TOTT.

B,

Unless GS sorts out the problem with the "long running Skript" I wont be doing any Caching for a while. It takes too Long to get the gpx files.

There must be something with IE 11. It has been giving me the same thing. What I do is click on the page a few times. Then a box

Pops up at bottom of screen. Not responding due to a long running script. Stop script.

I click that box and script stops. It is those darn ads on the page. Then I am good to go. Problem is it happens on all the pages. But I have found it does not in Firefox when you have flash turned off.

It just occurred to me ...

One of the "features" of this approach to summer souvenirs is that, with at most one week's notice prior to each eligibility window, it's going to be more difficult for new caches to be created and published solely for the purpose of satisfying the souvenir requirements (whatever they might be). I recall that there were some concerns raised about the previous summer souvenirs in that regard.

Alas, this means that I'll probably end up saving the more "interesting" caches (i.e. just about anything that's not a 2/2 Tradiitional) for finding later, just in case the mission calls for finding one of those :).

Unless GS sorts out the problem with the "long running Skript" I wont be doing any Caching for a while. It takes too Long to get the gpx files.

There must be something with IE 11. It has been giving me the same thing. What I do is click on the page a few times. Then a box

Pops up at bottom of screen. Not responding due to a long running script. Stop script.

I click that box and script stops. It is those darn ads on the page. Then I am good to go. Problem is it happens on all the pages. But I have found it does not in Firefox when you have flash turned off.

I told my computer to report unresolved problems yesterday. Today it tells me to restart to finish updates.

After that the long running script problem is now gone in IE 11.

Has anyone received an email about these yet? I've heard nothing :(

(Yes, I am a premium member, and I have got email enabled)

I'd like to know information in advance, so I can plan my weekend accordingly.

Yes e-mail received, like many others. Do you have “Tips & Tricks” in the Email Preferences of your account settings enabled? See also: Mission GC FAQ

Yes.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=340380

You needed to have "tips & tricks" checked in your email preferences to receive the email.

You might want to contact GS, as others have done, to get the email sent to you.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request

Or just wait until July 30th.

Instructions for unlocking the souvenirs will be made available to members of all security levels on the morning of each souvenir release. This information will be posted on all major GCHQ 47 channels (Geocaching.com, Geocaching® app, Facebook and Twitter).

B.

Yes.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=340380

You needed to have "tips & tricks" checked in your email preferences to receive the email.

You might want to contact GS, as others have done, to get the email sent to you.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request

Or just wait until July 30th.

B.

I emailed HQ and received the message within 12 hours (on the weekend!)

Thanks Janelle!!

Sigh. The blog announcement said "Premium members will receive an email including the encoded message one week prior to each souvenir release." It isn't until you miss the email and go look at the help center that you learn that you must enable “Tips & Tricks” in the Email Preferences. And doing so today doesn't get you the email that went out on July 22. I'm sad.

Look at post #17. Just email them and (if my and several other geocacher's experience is any guide) you you get it within a day. Still plenty of time to figure out the puzzle and plan your approach.

From the e-mail received today

Instructions for unlocking the souvenir will be made available to members of all security levels on Saturday, July 30 at 00:00 Pacific Standard Time.
So Australian members are told at 5pm Saturday and Kiwis at 7pm

And this is supposed to be a global game!!!

Disgusted of Sydney.

I have participated in the previous summer souvenir games, but I think I'm going to pass on them this year. In previous years, the souvenirs were available for a long enough period that I could plan around them, for instance if I needed to take a trip to get an Earth Cache, or a 5* cache, or a 10 FP cache, etc. But it doesn't fit into my life schedule to take a 35 mile trip this weekend just to get a souvenir--and then who knows what they'll come up with for the others. (I could cheat and log a find on one of my own archived caches, but I don't want to play that way.)

I find the discussion, here and elsewhere, of the upcoming new souvenirs very interesting.

When souvenirs were first introduced (lo, 6 long years ago), I remember many of the reactions ranged from indifference to hostility or disgust. Why are we introducing these dumb postcards? We don't want them, we don't care about them, how can we hide them on our profile?

Fast forward a few years, and now the reactions to souvenirs that are available for a limited time are hostile due to their temporary availability. What, only one weekend? Only half a weekend? This isn't fair, I don't have the same opportunity to get my souvenir!

If I had time, I would go back to some of those old souvenir threads to see if those who are complaining about limited availability now are those who said they didn't care about souvenirs when they first came out; sadly, I do not. But anyone who chooses to self-identify is welcome to explain their change of heart.

Edited by hzoi

I find the discussion, here and elsewhere, of the upcoming new souvenirs very interesting.

When souvenirs were first introduced (lo, 6 long years ago), I remember many of the reactions ranged from indifference to hostility or disgust. Why are we introducing these dumb postcards? We don't want them, we don't care about them, how can we hide them on our profile?

Fast forward a few years, and now the reactions to souvenirs that are available for a limited time are hostile due to their temporary availability. What, only one weekend? Only half a weekend? This isn't fair, I don't have the same opportunity to get my souvenir!

If I had time, I would go back to some of those old souvenir threads to see if those who are complaining about limited availability now are those who said they didn't care about souvenirs when they first came out; sadly, I do not. But anyone who chooses to self-identify is welcome to explain their change of heart.

Sorry that you read "hostility" into my post; that is a much stronger feeling that I actually have; I would rate my feeling more as "disappointment." I would like to get them, but there are other higher priorities that particular weekend. And no, I was never one who was opposed to souvenirs in the first place; I have made special efforts to get many of the ones I have--even hosting an Event so that I could complete the Seven Souvenirs of August 2014.

If I had time, I would go back to some of those old souvenir threads to see if those who are complaining about limited availability now are those who said they didn't care about souvenirs when they first came out; sadly, I do not.

I do not have the impression that's the same group of people. I never cared about souvenirs and I'm glad that one can hide whatever one wants to hide.

I also do not care for how long a period they offer the Summer souvenirs which are boring in my opinion.

Sorry that you read "hostility" into my post; that is a much stronger feeling that I actually have; I would rate my feeling more as "disappointment." I would like to get them, but there are other higher priorities that particular weekend. And no, I was never one who was opposed to souvenirs in the first place; I have made special efforts to get many of the ones I have--even hosting an Event so that I could complete the Seven Souvenirs of August 2014.

OK, Hostile may be a little strong. And I wasn't specifically referring to your post, more the combination of several I've seen in this and other threads.

I noted something similar in the P-Go thread.

I think it is mostly different people. Groundspeak has "dabbled" with trying to learn from other "games" to increase interest in Geocaching. Souvenirs were one such idea. These ideas are generally met with derision on this forum. And I understand the logic; if I love the pastime of geocaching, I don't need any postcards/badges/levels etc.

Personally, I was not against the idea of souvenirs. I don't think you'll find any old anti-souvenir posts from me. But, I am surprised how popular they have become. Sure, many will still post here that they personally don't care about them. But the statistics show that many cachers do, and that they have been successful in their mission. And the nice thing about them is GS can use them to try and encourage certain behavior - finding specific types of caches etc.

So I've not had a complete change of heart, but I have moved from being somewhat ambivalent about souvenirs to thinking they are a good thing.

I have participated in the previous summer souvenir games, but I think I'm going to pass on them this year. In previous years, the souvenirs were available for a long enough period that I could plan around them, for instance if I needed to take a trip to get an Earth Cache, or a 5* cache, or a 10 FP cache, etc. But it doesn't fit into my life schedule to take a 35 mile trip this weekend just to get a souvenir--and then who knows what they'll come up with for the others. (I could cheat and log a find on one of my own archived caches, but I don't want to play that way.)

I have not *intentionally* participated in the previous summer souvenirs. I did get a few only because I was traveling to some place that I had not previously visited at the time when the summer souvenirs could be acquired and wanted to get the region based souvenir for that area. I've hidden the promotional souvenirs in my public profile.

One of the things that was different for this years souvenir was that, except for PMs which got a one week head start there really wasn't time for people to get a cache listed specifically to have a cache which meets the criteria for the souvenir. While placing a cache specifically so that others can use it to qualifying for an announced promotional souvenir may not be "cheating" it still feels to me like gaming the system. Not having a couple of weeks or more to plan a trip to find a cache that qualifies favors those that live in cache dense areas which have a lot of caches which meet the criteria. There are many places where one might have to travel much farther (and even leave their country) to find one that qualifies.

One of the things that was different for this years souvenir was that, except for PMs which got a one week head start there really wasn't time for people to get a cache listed specifically to have a cache which meets the criteria for the souvenir.

Actually everyone who wished to learn about the souvenir had the chance to learn what it is about in the internet regardless of the member status.

In general, what they are doing this year for me creates the impression that they just use a new way of packaging of the same old things - no new ideas involved when it comes to the caching aspect.

Not having a couple of weeks or more to plan a trip to find a cache that qualifies favors those that live in cache dense areas which have a lot of caches which meet the criteria. There are many places where one might have to travel much farther (and even leave their country) to find one that qualifies.

I agree that the level of difficulty varies a lot depending on the region where one caches. However whether this favours someone depends on your point of view.

In my opinion it rather makes it more boring if there are so many caches out there that one gets such a souvenir automatically by just following the normal routine. (Of course there are also cases in between where someone needs to make a proper selection but does not have to travel far.)

Edited by cezanne

One of the things that was different for this years souvenir was that, except for PMs which got a one week head start there really wasn't time for people to get a cache listed specifically to have a cache which meets the criteria for the souvenir.

Actually everyone who wished to learn about the souvenir had the chance to learn what it is about in the internet regardless of the member status.

Although it turned out that way, that was not Groundspeaks intent when they created this years souvenirs. The message containing the puzzle was only sent out to premium members as a benefit of being a premium member. The fact that some chose to post it for anyone to see (and essentially post the solutions) was yet another example of how some geocachers will game the system.

In general, what they are doing this year for me creates the impression that they just use a new way of packaging of the same old things - no new ideas involved when it comes to the caching aspect.

Not having a couple of weeks or more to plan a trip to find a cache that qualifies favors those that live in cache dense areas which have a lot of caches which meet the criteria. There are many places where one might have to travel much farther (and even leave their country) to find one that qualifies.

I agree that the level of difficulty varies a lot depending on the region where one caches. However whether this favours someone depends on your point of view.

In my opinion it rather makes it more boring if there are so many caches out there that one gets such a souvenir automatically by just following the normal routine. (Of course there are also cases in between where someone needs to make a proper selection but does not have to travel far.)

My point is only that, if the goal is to obtain the souvenir, it is much easier for those living in a cache dense area. If caching in some areas is boring the souvenir isn't going to change that.

Although it turned out that way, that was not Groundspeaks intent when they created this years souvenirs.

But it was foreseeable and even more given the fact that so many PMs did not receive it either (due to the faulty preannouncement which did not mention that one needs to have tips+tricks activated).

My point is only that, if the goal is to obtain the souvenir, it is much easier for those living in a cache dense area. If caching in some areas is boring the souvenir isn't going to change that.

I agree with the much easier part but not with the favour formulation as it depends on one#s view if easy means a favour. That was my point.

As to your second statement I said nowhere that caching is boring in a certain area (though certainly such areas exist). The point I tried to make that depending on one's viewpoint obtaining a souvenir without the slightest effort could also be seen as boring by those who enjoy souvenirs they did not obtain automatically. Some souvenirs are like challenge caches of the type "having found 10 traditionals in your entire caching career" which may be hard in a few areas but are incredibly trivial in others.

Edited by cezanne

Where is the message for basic members? I think it is already July 30th at HQ!

I couldn't find it on any of the channels:

It's not July 30th for another hour. Plus, it says morning, so I doubt that will be at midnight.

It's not July 30th for another hour. Plus, it says morning, so I doubt that will be at midnight.

It seems to be now (the morning).

They still didn't share the puzzle with basic members :sad: The only channel (that I have noticed) is Facebook, where they gave away the solution but not the puzzle. Where is this info on GC.com and Twitter?

This is poor communication from GS (including the "tips & tricks")

Go to the gc.com home page (the New search page) and scroll down a little...

+1 Yep.

Folks are just tellin' on most local facebook too.

- Most times we're on the road by 6/7, wasting time ya know... :laughing:

I found out a few days ago (didn't renew yet), just by blabbermouths in the blog comments.

Ah, I see it on the home page. I don't ever look at the thing, so it's the first time I've noticed - those links at the bottom are nice, especially the event one.

I was still expecting to receive an email from Groundspeak at least by 9am...

Ah, I see it on the home page. I don't ever look at the thing, so it's the first time I've noticed - those links at the bottom are nice, especially the event one.

So was I. It's now 8:30AM on *Sunday* on the U.S. east coast and I haven't seen an email message from GS about it.

So was I. It's now 8:30AM on *Sunday* on the U.S. east coast and I haven't seen an email message from GS about it.

Ok, I guess I just don't have very good reading comprehension. They never said that they would send out another email. This is what they said:

Instructions for unlocking the souvenir will be made available to members of all security levels on Saturday, July 30 at 00:00 Pacific Standard Time. This information will be posted on all major GCHQ 47 channels including Geocaching.com, Geocaching® app, Facebook and Twitter.

I don't know how many people that really reaches. Although I've liked them on facebook and follow them on twitter, I only look at those sites once in a blue moon. And I've never noticed the blurbs on the bottom of the gc main page. So without an email, I wouldn't know about these things. I do have an email notice whenever there's a new post on the blog. I wonder how many people missed the memo. Of course, I know a lot of premium members who haven't asked to get the emails from grounspeak, either, but then that's their choice to miss out.

Well, it looks like Groundspeak has released the details (okay, maybe not the details, but at least some details) about another summer Souvenir promotion:

The details for each Souvenir's requirements will be released to everyone the morning it becomes available, or the week prior to premium members.

I figured out how to do the "Tips & Tricks" so yes, I am NOW getting the emails and subscribed to the blog. I don't know what other souvenirs are coming in August besides the 2 Mission ones and the International Geocaching Day one but I'm sure they'll tell us in a couple weeks.

I figured out how to do the "Tips & Tricks" so yes, I am NOW getting the emails and subscribed to the blog. I don't know what other souvenirs are coming in August besides the 2 Mission ones and the International Geocaching Day one but I'm sure they'll tell us in a couple weeks.

There are no other souvenirs in August. These 3 Mission GC ones and the International Geocaching Day are it. Nothing else.

Ok, I guess I just don't have very good reading comprehension. They never said that they would send out another email. This is what they said:

Instructions for unlocking the souvenir will be made available to members of all security levels on Saturday, July 30 at 00:00 Pacific Standard Time. This information will be posted on all major GCHQ 47 channels including Geocaching.com, Geocaching® app, Facebook and Twitter.

I don't know how many people that really reaches. Although I've liked them on facebook and follow them on twitter, I only look at those sites once in a blue moon. And I've never noticed the blurbs on the bottom of the gc main page. So without an email, I wouldn't know about these things. I do have an email notice whenever there's a new post on the blog. I wonder how many people missed the memo. Of course, I know a lot of premium members who haven't asked to get the emails from grounspeak, either, but then that's their choice to miss out.

I saw the original info somewhere (maybe on the App?)... completely misread everything... then forgot about it, expecting that the email on the 22nd would explain it all. I don't check Twitter nor Facebook (because when I do, there is never any information that I am looking for. And this applies pretty much to everywhere on Twitter or Facebook :anibad:).

“Premium members will receive an email including the encoded message one week prior to each souvenir release. Decoding the message will unlock instructions for securing the next souvenir. The first encoded message will be sent to Premium members on July 22, 2016.”

It didn't occur to me that I needed any particular email settings enabled, so I didn't set anything up, and never got an email.

Does anyone know how many “encoded messages” there were? One per souvenir, maybe? What was in that message? I see the current instructions, which I assume is the same message that was sent on the 22nd, but decoded for us. Or is there still a currently encoded message for “the next souvenir”?

I went to my email settings and almost selected "send tips and tricks" just now... then I remembered, I don't want to be sent tips and tricks, that's why it's not selected. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

There are no other souvenirs in August. These 3 Mission GC ones and the International Geocaching Day are it. Nothing else.

Where does it say there will be no other souvenirs in August 2016 besides the 3? If you're right, then the souvenirs after that will be in September, but I hope they tell us at least 15 days before.

Where does it say there will be no other souvenirs in August 2016 besides the 3? If you're right, then the souvenirs after that will be in September, but I hope they tell us at least 15 days before.

Why do you think that there should be more souvenirs in August?

Why do you think that there will be new souvenirs in September?

The blog clearly states when you will be informed of the new souvenirs, depending on whether you are a Basic Member or a Premium Member:

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2016/07/your-mission-gc-should-you-choose-to-accept-it/

New intel suggests souvenirs will only be available for procurement on the following dates:

The window for securing Souvenir #1 is July 30-31, 2016.

The window for securing Souvenir #2 is August 13-14, 2016.

The window for securing Souvenir #3 is August 27-28, 2016.

Given the top secret nature of this mission, the encoded messages will be sent for analysis only to those with proper security clearance. Premium members will receive an email including the encoded message one week prior to each souvenir release. Decoding the message will unlock instructions for securing the next souvenir. The first encoded message will be sent to Premium members on July 22, 2016.

So now that you have "tips & tricks" enabled, you will get an email on August 6 about the next new souvenir for this year.

B.

I saw the original info somewhere (maybe on the App?)... completely misread everything... then forgot about it, expecting that the email on the 22nd would explain it all. I don't check Twitter nor Facebook (because when I do, there is never any information that I am looking for. And this applies pretty much to everywhere on Twitter or Facebook :anibad:).

“Premium members will receive an email including the encoded message one week prior to each souvenir release. Decoding the message will unlock instructions for securing the next souvenir. The first encoded message will be sent to Premium members on July 22, 2016.”

It didn't occur to me that I needed any particular email settings enabled, so I didn't set anything up, and never got an email.

Does anyone know how many “encoded messages” there were? One per souvenir, maybe? What was in that message? I see the current instructions, which I assume is the same message that was sent on the 22nd, but decoded for us. Or is there still a currently encoded message for “the next souvenir”?

I went to my email settings and almost selected "send tips and tricks" just now... then I remembered, I don't want to be sent tips and tricks, that's why it's not selected. :ph34r:

We only received one puzzle message for this weekend's souvenir. So I'm assuming we'll get another one a week before each of the other missions, respectively.

Looks like I got a souvenir for finding "a cache with 10+ favorites" this weekend. Big deal as an "accomplishment", all 17 founds had 100+ favorites, that's why we do them. I've never gone out of my way to "earn" a souvenir, it seems they just come naturally. :ph34r: