Portland Area Get together

Syn

oh no...not in the far east. They have parks out there? It's over 2 miles from the Willamette. Didn't they film Deliverance there? Gresham? Is that some new honeybaked ham or something? There's nothing to do in Gresham, it's not totally boring there but it's next to it. Please don't mind my sarcasm icon_biggrin.gif , I just got off work and am extremely tired. Wayne, I'll help if you want it. There are a ton of places to do a nice get together.

geosigbuscard.jpg

[This message was edited by MattandLaura on June 12, 2002 at 02:52 PM.]

oh no...not in the far east. They have parks out there? It's over 2 miles from the Willamette. Didn't they film Deliverance there? Gresham? Is that some new honeybaked ham or something? There's nothing to do in Gresham, it's not totally boring there but it's next to it. Please don't mind my sarcasm icon_biggrin.gif , I just got off work and am extremely tired. Wayne, I'll help if you want it. There are a ton of places to do a nice get together.

geosigbuscard.jpg

[This message was edited by MattandLaura on June 12, 2002 at 02:52 PM.]

So does that mean you are going to take the spike tonite? Or are you thinking of a bigger event (ala Champoeg?). Gresham is ok, but how about ZigZag! Everything is awesome in a town with that name! icon_biggrin.gif

"I put instant soup in a microwave and almost went back in time." -Stephen Wright

So does that mean you are going to take the spike tonite? Or are you thinking of a bigger event (ala Champoeg?). Gresham is ok, but how about ZigZag! Everything is awesome in a town with that name! icon_biggrin.gif

"I put instant soup in a microwave and almost went back in time." -Stephen Wright

Boring would definetly not be a plce to hold a gathering....maybe Happy Valley..

A nice big park out in the Gresham/Troutdale area might be a very cool thing. If its two weeked either side of our delivery date (july 29th) Team WSMF would be up for it.

A nonbar event always make the family team happy. This way I can haul in some Fred and the kid can stay somkeyfree and sippy whatever fruit colored thing sees into this week.

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

I would like it to be closer to the Portland Metro area as when it is out further I think less people are able to attend.

I have rattled off the following email to the volunteer part of Oxbow Regional Park in Gresham (They have camping also but no pets).

I am interested in meeting with you to discuss a large group volunteering to help do maintenance in your park in exchange for letting us have the opportunity to have a gathering at one of your day sites.

We would also like to place a couple of geocaches in the area as part of our game. There have been dozens of cooperation like this throughout the United States with the most recent one in this area being at Champoeg State Park.

This link will take you to the info for that volunteer effort.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=19484

There were around 40 people that showed up to help the park clear English Ivy for a two hour period. The park was very happy with the work that was done and encouraged us to consider them again if we ever needed a place to have a gathering again.

I would anticipate double or more the size of the group as it is closer to the Portland Area and we would be more than happy to do a couple hours of volunteer work in your park.

We are nature loving, conscientious people that love the outdoors and Metro Parks.

To find out more about geocaching please visit the official website at

www.geocaching.com

Thank you in advance for your consideration,

Wayne (Last name removed for Privacy purposes in the geocaching thread only, I did sent it in the email though).

The link for their webpage is at follows

http://www.metro-region.org/parks/oxbowpage.html

I sent the email last night and have not heard back from them.

Oxbo Park is a ways out there. It's almost in Boring if it's not. And what's this about Gresham being boring? I loved it when I lived there. Oh well. Main City Park is a very nice park, no real clean up is needed though because I'm pretty sure it's fairly well maintained. Red Sunset Park is also a fairly nice place. I think it'd work out better if it was held at Blue Lake Park. It's pretty simple to get to from anywhere, just jump on Marine Drive and your set.

That's just my opinion though. If you want to do a clean up of an area, these parks might not work very well. If you just want a nice gathering spot, I'd go for Blue Lake.

buneatg.gifI am the Rabbit King, I can do anything

I am posting this here to keep everyone informed of the status. I will be contacting Matt and Laura for more help since they know more about the organization of this type of gathering.

I will be contacting the parks department in the next couple of days and keep everyone informed of the status.

Wayne-

I did receive your email and read about your group on the website. Very interesting! We are definitely open to something like this at Oxbow Park, but the main thing I need to start the planning would be a target date or dates that you want to do this. It sounds like it could be anywhere from 50 to 100 people participating. If you also have a tentative schedule of the day's activities (or how it has gone in the past), that would be helpful.

Thanks and we look forward to working with you,