Feature Request - Ability to keep the screen lit up

This is personally something really annoying, and I believe I'm not alone in this feature request.

When in navigating mode (through the app) there should be a configuration (to allow for user choosing, but I don't think it would be negative if it were just built-in) to keep the screen on. It's annoying to be using the app to head to a cache and have to be constantly tapping in the screen or have to unlock it again and again.

Am I the only one? :rolleyes:

No - you're not the only one. It is very irritating. Other apps that use navigation (e.g. Google Maps, Waze, ...) keep the screen lit and phone unlocked while navigating. It's very important if you're using the app while driving to a cache. It can become a safety issue if you have keep unlocking the phone and turning it on again and again while driving.

On a similar theme, the colors of the navigation screen need to change with respect to the time of day. A standard practice for navigation apps is to use darker colors for "night mode". These apps know when sundown / sunrise happens, and adjust the screen colors automatically with no user interaction required. This helps to preserve the night vision of the person using the app. When the person is driving this is also a very important feature and can be a safety issue if the app does not do this.

It can become a safety issue if you have keep unlocking the phone and turning it on again and again while driving.

When the person is driving this is also a very important feature and can be a safety issue if the app does not do this.

Having in-app settings for display brightness and disabling autolock/dim would be nice, but since these settings can already be changed device-wide (are there any smart phones that don't do this?) having something dedicated to the app would be purely for convenience, not safety.

I would argue that in the above instances, the only safety issue would be the driver who chooses to distract or dazzle themselves while driving <_<

Edited by huskydays

It can become a safety issue if you have keep unlocking the phone and turning it on again and again while driving.

When the person is driving this is also a very important feature and can be a safety issue if the app does not do this.

Having in-app settings for display brightness and disabling autolock/dim would be nice, but since these settings can already be changed device-wide (are there any smart phones that don't do this?) having something dedicated to the app would be purely for convenience, not safety.

I would argue that in the above instances, the only safety issue would be the driver who chooses to distract or dazzle themselves while driving <_<

ditto this!

I've been very impressed by the last few trips I've taken that the driver either started navigation and left the phone in its place, or simply put it in the glovebox until we weren't sure about the next turn and asked me to check while stopped at a gas station. it's so much safer to stop and check than to try and do five things at once while in unfamiliar areas.

That's a phone setting, same as volume and screen brightness. No reason at all for them to make the app so it, especially by default. Actually it's better for them not to do it because it would destoy the battery life which would be a more important issue than keeping the screen on.

The partner apps that I've used have had a setting to disable the screen timeout, as well as settings to control how much the GPS antenna stays on, whether to use a "daytime" color scheme or a "nighttime" color scheme or a custom color scheme, etc. This kind of user configuration is a good thing.