What is Good about Pokeman Go that could enhance your Geocaching Experience?

4) No moldy logs.

5) No snake bites.

One of our most prolific cachers here was seriously injured by a snake bite and snake photos appear in many of my logs. It's a big, serious threat here in cache locations. This morning on my walk I heard a rattle off the trail I was on.

No need to stick your hand into a rockpile or a stump and end your life while nabbing a Jigglypuff :)

4) No moldy logs.

5) No snake bites.

One of our most prolific cachers here was seriously injured by a snake bite and snake photos appear in many of my logs. It's a big, serious threat here in cache locations. This morning on my walk I heard a rattle off the trail I was on.

No need to stick your hand into a rockpile or a stump and end your life while nabbing a Jigglypuff :)

No snakes is a bit of a stretch, wasn't the body find down by a creek? There's a prone spot for snakes there.

4) No moldy logs.

5) No snake bites.

No snakes is a bit of a stretch, wasn't the body find down by a creek? There's a prone spot for snakes there.

Did they have to reach into the body to get the Pokemon and get bit by a rattlesnake? :D

4) No moldy logs.

5) No snake bites.

Did they have to reach into the body to get the Pokemon and get bit by a rattlesnake? :D

Rattlesnakes must be a bit different, here they get bitey when you get too close to them and they are good at hiding.

Edited by Tassie_Boy

Clarify

ee44e9bf-c39c-4e9a-aadc-3f3dbcbccb60.png

OK. I suppose this means something to you, but it doesn't clarify anything to me--it shows that one can spend money on the game, but not to what purpose. And it doesn't address the issue of what is "IAP"?

I'm guessing that IAP stands for "In App Purchase", a fairly common model for obtaining revenue for application developers (primarily games).

I've played Pokemon for a few days now....if Geocaching were Pokemon it would go something like this :

1. Geocaching is free but once you find 100 caches you need to purchase additional space.

2. Once you find 100 TB's you need to buy additional space for those too.

3. Attempts at finding a cache are limited and more would have to be purchased.

etc, etc.....Pokemon can become expensive...as levels increase more and more escape requiring more balls...while balls can be " farmed " its likely more will be " bought ".

I also have played Ingress a few years and enjoy it as well.....there is very little to be purchased the main thing being around $10 one time for key lockers ( storage )

When traveling we really enjoy geocaching and I rarely pick up my phone....it is our favorite game by far.

At home Ingress and Pokemon can be played every day for hours on end right in your own neighborhood and local parks.....I've found all the caches that are close and my cache maint. doesn't take that long so thats it for caching and let me say I will place a cache " because there isn't one there "....local folks enjoy having caches to find no matter how simple.

Re Geocaching, I would BRING BACK VIRTUALS.....there are many competing games, why not give the cachers what they want.....I know the main complaint....make the Virtual reviewers word final and thats that.

Re Geocaching, I would BRING BACK VIRTUALS.....there are many competing games, why not give the cachers what they want.....I know the main complaint....make the Virtual reviewers word final and thats that.
Done.

Of course, the virtual reviewer's word is always "No", and that's final, and that's that.

But now everyone is happy, right?

Done.

Of course, the virtual reviewer's word is always "No", and that's final, and that's that.

But now everyone is happy, right?

Not being realistic there.......MANY of us enjoyed Virtuals and it can be done.

I've enjoyed the virtuals that I've done. But I don't have a lot of faith in the idea that the "wow factor" problem can be solved by simply declaring that there are no appeals when the (dedicated virtual) reviewers say "no".

I honestly think the ill-fated Geocaching Challenges had potential as a virtual cache replacement. Unfortunately, they got off to a rocky start. And by the time they started settling down and I started looking at them again, Groundspeak had already decided to pull the plug. But I think the solution to the "wow factor" is to get the volunteer reviewers out of the business of evaluating a virtual's (or virtual replacement's) quality. Just as they've gotten out of the business of evaluating a physical cache's quality.

"If it's not broke, don't fix it"!

or

"don't change a winning team"

Pokemon Go is pokemon Go. Only a hype dead by summer 2017. Why? Only those stupid enough to spend money on it will win from others (once that game option is activated)

Here we don't like the virtual caches either... What's the point of it?

But, we are not the geocachers hunting or traveling for caches, we turn it the other way around and search for caches were we happen to be.

We often plan family trips around geocaching. So for me geocaching still is "getting to interesting places that we would have rarely targeted without a cache". PokemonGo is a total other game, which is not bad, but AFAIK it won't get you to new places much. It more or less forces you to repeatedly going to the same places again and again. This is good when you're trying to play it daily within your usual locations (home, office).

For me, Geocaching and PokemonGo are two totally seperate gameplays, as well in gaming style as in basic design. They both can be summarized under the topic "location based games", but that's it. The smartphone is just a common tool (and for geocaching you don't need a smartphone, not even GPS, simple map coordinates would do it as well).

However, they both can be combined: just breed your eggs when doing the Geocaching walk or occasionally find new spots for hunting Pokemons or collecting things when on your way to a new Geocache site. That's enough for me - I don't want to make Geocaching more attractive, it's perfect when now the point collectors and more action loving people have their own game. So maybe Geocaching consolidates (sp?) a bit back to quality instead of quantity.

PokemonGo has it's own and seperate market segment. Please don't try to mix them up. Improve Geocaching by placing and maintaining good sized quality containers in beautiful sites worth to visit. Thanks!

I've played Pokemon for a few days now....if Geocaching were Pokemon it would go something like this :

1. Geocaching is free but once you find 100 caches you need to purchase additional space.

2. Once you find 100 TB's you need to buy additional space for those too.

3. Attempts at finding a cache are limited and more would have to be purchased.

etc, etc.....Pokemon can become expensive...as levels increase more and more escape requiring more balls...while balls can be " farmed " its likely more will be " bought ".

I also have played Ingress a few years and enjoy it as well.....there is very little to be purchased the main thing being around $10 one time for key lockers ( storage )

There really is no need to buy anything in PGO. I'm lvl24 and have spent a total of maybe $15, once at the beginning for a recommended starter pack and a couple bucks recently for an 'emergency' :P

Otherwise, unless you live in the boonies and can barely play it anyway, it's just a matter of controlling your gameplay to balance with what's around you. If anyone goes out hunting more than visiting stops then they're going to run out of balls. Even then, there's no need to buy anything unless you can't control your gaming :P (or just have lots of $ to throw away).

The ability to purchase in-game stuff for ridiculous prices is really there because the only who will buy it are those such people, especially if the game items are easily achievable in-game. I play a couple of other games that provide things like gold for upwards of $50, when that same amount of gold you can easily get in a very short time with a very simple strategy. So it all depends on what you choose to invest in the game. Time/effort, or money. And if the items sold are easily attainable, they'll still sell in the store, but for crazy $ to make up for the lack of casual purchasers. Same thing with PGO.

You don't have to buy space for pokemon or backpack items. That depends on your strategy for keeping/selling/using.

So I don't think GS would implement something like increasing space for TBs for Finds :P Finds are additive (so expansion would be required, not an optional feature) and TBs, well ok maybe for ownership of TBs in your profile, heh; but then we'd get players getting TBs and tracking them other ways, or setting up multiple accounts (which some people already do).

*shrug*

Edited by thebruce0
I honestly think the ill-fated Geocaching Challenges had potential as a virtual cache replacement. Unfortunately, they got off to a rocky start. And by the time they started settling down and I started looking at them again, Groundspeak had already decided to pull the plug.

Ditto. I saw lots of potential for Geocaching Challenges, but the problem is they had no lower limit of acceptability, no minimal ruleset, despite having no review process. So while there were many gems published, there was much more crap. And whoever designed the way to find interesting ones didn't find a way around the sabotage strategy of aimless downvoting that destroyed reputation of great listings.

A number of further tweaks and the system could have potentially survived, though definitely more like a sidegame to the main geocaching profile/stats (pretty much as they ended up, really).

But yep, too many unsolved problems with the implementation. I don't personally really foresee a solution to make virtuals work well if they come back in the current geocaching environment. =/

I honestly think the ill-fated Geocaching Challenges had potential as a virtual cache replacement. Unfortunately, they got off to a rocky start. And by the time they started settling down and I started looking at them again, Groundspeak had already decided to pull the plug.

Ditto. I saw lots of potential for Geocaching Challenges, but the problem is they had no lower limit of acceptability, no minimal ruleset, despite having no review process. So while there were many gems published, there was much more crap. And whoever designed the way to find interesting ones didn't find a way around the sabotage strategy of aimless downvoting that destroyed reputation of great listings.

A number of further tweaks and the system could have potentially survived, though definitely more like a sidegame to the main geocaching profile/stats (pretty much as they ended up, really).

But yep, too many unsolved problems with the implementation. I don't personally really foresee a solution to make virtuals work well if they come back in the current geocaching environment. =/

The biggest problem that I saw with Geocaching Challenges was that people expected to be like geocaches (specifically, virtual caches) and when the system didn't have all the behaviors we associate with a geocache (a formal review process, ownership of the game piece once it was published, D/T ratings, no accountability for those "cheating the system", completing a challenge didn't add to ones find count, etc) we heard "but it's not geocaching". Never mind the fact that GS never claimed that Geocaching Challenges were a type of geocache, a lot of people never game them a chance because they weren't a type of geocache.

One of the downfalls in the implementation, IMHO, was that one could see "Numbers of Challenges Complete" on their user profile so the emphasis was often on how many challenges one complete, rather than how one completed challenges. For me, one of the more interesting aspects was the completion logs themselves. For example, on a "Take a photo of a waterfall" it was interesting to see pictures lots of different waterfalls. At one point I suggested a feature that would allow others to "vote" or simply "like" a completion log and a well known lackey actually responded that it was a feature they'd look into. Granted, a lot of people (including GS) created some really silly challenges, that's not GS's fault any more than it's their fault for geocachers creating lame hides.

This is an article I just read :

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mich-couple-suing-pok%C3%A9mon-go-for-ruining-their-quality-of-life/ar-BBvFrFv?li=BBnbfcL

I am not at all surprised as my wife and I ride about and see the throngs of people at local Pokemon Stops and Gym's and I am amazed by some inappropriate and sometimes dangerous locations....agreed that only locals would know certain nuances but better homework could have been done.When federal judges start weighing in ALL GPS games might be painted with the same brush.

I agree that you don't have to spend money to play - it's sort of a lazy way to play and I'm sure they're making billions, but I'm level 23 and have never spent a dollar.

I enjoy being a premium member here - it's worth the money to me and I don't mind paying for entertainment. I would much rather been on a trail finding Pokemon and geocaches than in a movie theater.

I'm at level 22 and have earned 200 Pokecoins and have not spent any money and never intend to. Best part is that I have walked 108.6 km according to my profile data.

There are several good things about the app, and it's free.

I agree that you don't have to spend money to play - it's sort of a lazy way to play and I'm sure they're making billions, but I'm level 23 and have never spent a dollar.

I enjoy being a premium member here - it's worth the money to me and I don't mind paying for entertainment. I would much rather been on a trail finding Pokemon and geocaches than in a movie theater.

I'm at level 22 and have earned 200 Pokecoins and have not spent any money and never intend to. Best part is that I have walked 108.6 km according to my profile data.

I tried it out, but got bored with it pretty quickly. Nothing terribly exciting about tossing a virtual ball at a cartoon character. I ended up uninstalling the game from my phone last week.

I tried it out, but got bored with it pretty quickly. Nothing terribly exciting about tossing a virtual ball at a cartoon character. I ended up uninstalling the game from my phone last week.

I think the generation Xbox is the target of PG, so gamers like myself have no problem with the virtual part. :anibad: PG helps motivate me for a walk, and maybe even find a geocache and visit a WM or two. :)

I visited an Earthcache last week where the information signs in the reserve were also Pokestops, that was like a bonus. I do think that my family has gave up on geocaching now to play PG. I'm enjoying both.

I think the generation Xbox is the target of PG, so gamers like myself have no problem with the virtual part. :anibad: PG helps motivate me for a walk, and maybe even find a geocache and visit a WM or two. :)

I visited an Earthcache last week where the information signs in the reserve were also Pokestops, that was like a bonus. I do think that my family has gave up on geocaching now to play PG. I'm enjoying both.

The only game I gave up pretty fast was that M game...it was like geocaching where every single cache is a sign or LPC....it could make you walk a bit though.

I'm an old guy and the only " electronic " device I had growing up was a transistor radio. I know nothing about computer or box games but the games mentioned in this thread have made me learn more about my smartphone and in retirement have provided some amusement.

That's how I felt about it too. I tried it for 3 days but didn't find it motivational for walking. I walked around the building at work a few times and got bored at throwing balls at things.

I like finding something tangible and connecting with the hider and other finders.

I liked the mz game for the tangible part too but then grew tired of it when the game became primarily about points collecting. No one logged comments. Points became shallow and frankly pointless for me.

I have no problem with games (I play plenty myself...pretty far along in Fallout 4 right now, actually). This Pokémon game, though...even my two kids are bored by it.

That's how I felt about it too. I tried it for 3 days but didn't find it motivational for walking. I walked around the building at work a few times and got bored at throwing balls at things.

I like finding something tangible and connecting with the hider and other finders.

I liked the mz game for the tangible part too but then grew tired of it when the game became primarily about points collecting. No one logged comments. Points became shallow and frankly pointless for me.

Yeah...maybe that's why I don't find anything fun or enjoyable about Virtual caches or Earthcaches. I'm all for visiting interesting or scenic places...I love it, actually. I just don't find anything fun about having to do research and email answers to someone as a part of geocaching. To me, those are two completely separate activities.

Can't agree with that. Don't even know how to compare console games with this type of game.

I have the xbox, wii and ps3, but none of the games I played on them (and sometimes still do) would make me play PG as a 45 year old guy :)

Can't agree with that. Don't even know how to compare console games with this type of game.

I have the xbox, wii and ps3, but none of the games I played on them (and sometimes still do) would make me play PG as a 45 year old guy :)

You are several years younger than me, and I do seem to be too old for PG. But hunting hidden treasure under lamp skirts in public has buffered the impact of how I feel playing a silly game on my phone in public. :)

Anyway, I've killed enough Zombies for now and it's time to go outside and play. :D I've already wiped out all the geocaches in my radius, so I'll just play PG to keep my geosenses sharpened. B)

In answer to the question in the title of this thread: "What is Good about Pokeman Go that could enhance your Geocaching Experience?"

It's keeping all those muggles too preoccupied to notice me having real-world fun geocaching.

I'd like to see the Souvenirs and Statistics tabs editable as well as the addition of a "Awards/Accomplishments" editable tab that one could use for adding Badgegen badges or some of those graphics that are common in Europe (especially in the UK) created by cache owners specifically for a single cache or series. Leave the Profile tab just for Personal Bio information and allow the user make any of the tabs private.

I can't agree more.

BINGO and BINGO!

One other thing I would like to see Groundspeak do is let us know if we have previously found a TB or not like they do for a geocache. I have moved/discovered a lot of TB's and it would be nice to know before I grabbed one if I had already moved or discovered it. It's happened to me a few times already! I would also like to be able to sort the souvenirs I've earned anyway I want.

Edited by Reno8

Also remember that for the most part POGO is a passive game - active in spurts, but highly repetitive. It's best enjoyed over long periods of time (as in days/weeks+), unlike a video game that you can sit down to. In the short term, POGO is repetitive, but survived by smaller goals (taking over a gym, replenishing items at stops, pushing through a lure, hunting for special creatures) but long term goals... well... aside from the standard leveling up, there's working towards completing the collection of pokemon, but that's about it. Even capturing and holding a gym doesn't serve much purpose at all except hoping your name gets more recognized. You don't get more of anything for holding a gym. Get in a gym, and you collect a reward (once per 22 hours for as many gyms as you occupy the moment you collect). Nothing else.

It's a long-term passive game with short-term spurts. If it's not the kind of game you can enjoy, then it's not for you. And that's perfectly reasonable :)

I know nothing about computer or box games but the games mentioned in this thread have made me learn more about my smartphone and in retirement have provided some amusement.

In 1975 I worked for Atari building and testing the home version of Pong (essentially the first home gaming console) but never owned one, nor any of the other xbox, PS2, etc games.

I'm a decade older; never owned a games console system, but I am enjoying P-GO. I often play it with my 20 year old daughter. I only play in short spurts, mainly as it drains the phone battery and I don't have any external powerpack. It hasn't changed with way I cache at all, but sometimes I'll do both at once (I cache with a GPS and not my phone).

But I think the solution to the "wow factor" is to get the volunteer reviewers out of the business of evaluating a virtual's (or virtual replacement's) quality. Just as they've gotten out of the business of evaluating a physical cache's quality.

I agree completely.......this is what I actually meant.

OK, now I have my active PokemonGo experience: the day before, while I visited stage #2 of a multi, I was pointed at with a smartphone and overheard the mother say to her child: "There's a Pikachu, try to get it". Strange feeling... :D

(No, they didn't caught me and my name isn't "Pikachu")

One of the technical aspects of Pokemon Go! might help cut down on the unintended virtuals that exist now in geocaching. Since PG tracks the player's location and prohibits certain things - for example, discouraging playing while driving, tracking miles walked for egg hatching, calculating your distance from gyms and pokestops etc., it could be super useful if the geocaching app did the same. So when someone is sitting on their couch typing TFTC on a cache 100 miles away the app could say - sorry - the cache is too far away, and prevent logging.

I don't have PoGo, but I read the rules and watched my grandkids with it. It seems to be a combo of randomly finding something and then having some gaming skills, to try to capture it. Then you collect different ones and power them up or level them up somehow. I don't get the gym thing...I'm sure it has it's appeal, maybe it's like mortal combat games, IDK. It will never replace or even come close to replacing Geocaching, in my opinion. I think geocaching and playing Pogo, is a good idea for those that like the game. I did read in another thread about using some of the Pogo ideas to expand Geocaching, for instance, when you have to start traveling an hour or more away to find any new caches, because you've found them all in your area. But...for now, it is what it is, there is something for everyone, and hopefully no matter what your preference, you don't get bored!

So when someone is sitting on their couch typing TFTC on a cache 100 miles away the app could say - sorry - the cache is too far away, and prevent logging.

This is an interesting proposal. However, I am not sure how it would work for those who do not log in the field.

A game like that would have an app that connects to servers at all times, requiring a constant data connection. All “Finds” would be cross-checked instantly. No logging later, no playing your way. Find the waypoint, log online at that moment, with an incremental number, not an actual text log about the experience. Check around, I've heard there's a game which already does exactly that, "Porky Men Goat" or something.

Edited by kunarion

So when someone is sitting on their couch typing TFTC on a cache 100 miles away the app could say - sorry - the cache is too far away, and prevent logging.

This is an interesting proposal. However, I am not sure how it would work for those who do not log in the field.

I went out yesterday and did a bit of unplanned caching in the Adirondacks. For some of the finds, finding the cache I went back to my car and entered a found it log on my phone before driving to the next spot. On a couple of them I didn't have cellular access and couldn't log it through the app. In once case, I lost the connection before I got to the trailhead for the cache, and because I hadn't started navigating toward the cache it didn't even show up on the map.

I could see how the app could capture waypoints, so it would know that if one tried to armchair log a cache, it would know if one was ever near GZ. One could still log the cache from afar as long as the app had captured a waypoint near GZ (which wouldn't require a data connection).

A game like that would have an app that connects to servers at all times, requiring a constant data connection. All “Finds” would be cross-checked instantly. No logging later, no playing your way. Find the waypoint, log online at that moment, with an incremental number, not an actual text log about the experience. Check around, I've heard there's a game which already does exactly that, "Porky Men Goat" or something.

Or the bar code game....

Or for those who use devices that can't run apps.

I went out yesterday and did a bit of unplanned caching in the Adirondacks. For some of the finds, finding the cache I went back to my car and entered a found it log on my phone before driving to the next spot. On a couple of them I didn't have cellular access and couldn't log it through the app. In once case, I lost the connection before I got to the trailhead for the cache, and because I hadn't started navigating toward the cache it didn't even show up on the map.

I could see how the app could capture waypoints, so it would know that if one tried to armchair log a cache, it would know if one was ever near GZ. One could still log the cache from afar as long as the app had captured a waypoint near GZ (which wouldn't require a data connection).

Right, and if a person is trying to use a phone in a surprising number of places, there's no signal. And just being near GZ doesn't prove you found the 3.5/3.5 cache.

One of the technical aspects of Pokemon Go! might help cut down on the unintended virtuals that exist now in geocaching. Since PG tracks the player's location and prohibits certain things - for example, discouraging playing while driving, tracking miles walked for egg hatching, calculating your distance from gyms and pokestops etc., it could be super useful if the geocaching app did the same. So when someone is sitting on their couch typing TFTC on a cache 100 miles away the app could say - sorry - the cache is too far away, and prevent logging.

Well, right now i can't use my phone even if i wanted to because it doesn't seem to be compatible with the newer versions of the geo apps. Except for the fact that i got ripped off because i paid for the official app, it doesn't matter anyway because I don't normally use my phone for geocaching. For keeping false logs down, this idea might help, for a while. I figure it wouldn't be long before a workaround was found for people to falsely log. There is also the problem with lack of cell coverage which would limit where some caches could be placed. Then, there are people like me who despise tapping things out on a phone. My cache logging gets done when i get home.

One other thing, when i did use my phone the few times in the past, i only enabled gps long enough to find the caches. I don't leave location services or gps on. I'm not paranoid but i don't feel the need to make it so easy for google or anyone else to keep up with my travels.

Right, and if a person is trying to use a phone in a surprising number of places, there's no signal. And just being near GZ doesn't prove you found the 3.5/3.5 cache.

If the goal is to eliminate all armchair logging than this, by itself, would not be the ultimate solution. It could, however, make it a little bit harder to armchair log a cache from the app. Once again an idea which might provide a small improvement is dismissed because it's not a perfect solution.