What is Good about Pokeman Go that could enhance your Geocaching Experience?

There are already laws:

Trespassing laws.

Park ordinances (hours, trail rules, etc.).

Anti-litter laws.

Anti-vandalism laws.

Parking ordinances.

Laws against assault, theft, battery, robbery, murder and rape.

Those are all more than sufficient for any situation players will run across.

One emergency call that can't get out would pretty much put an end to that sort of cell signal disruption.

Yes! If somebody breaks their neck in a fall off a theater balcony while trying to catch a Pokémon, we'll be glad.

I mean glad that the 911 call can get through. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion

There are already laws:

Trespassing laws.

Anti-litter laws.

Anti-vandalism laws.

Parking ordinances.

Especially "texting while [your violation here]". Likely the most common way for phone issues related to not paying attention. Now blamed on an imaginary animal.

3. The cache is the least important part of geocaching. People are hyped to find virtual cartoon critters that aren't interested in film cans, tupperware, or even ammo cans. Yes, there are good containers and great containers, but the driving force for most people is either the location/experience or activity.

:blink::(

Wow I can't disagree more. The cache is everything. Without the cache, there is no point in bothering with this site and there is no point in digging through leaves near fallen trees. Without the cache you are just hiking (which I do enjoy). Some virtual caches and Earthcaches take you to some cool places that you might not otherwise go. I have done some really horrible ones too. If every waymark (or Pokestop) was a virtual cache, I'd switch to the Pokémon game. I did 1 webcam cache just to get the icon. I won't do another. Geocaching, to me at least, is the hunt for hidden physical containers.

3. The cache is the least important part of geocaching. People are hyped to find virtual cartoon critters that aren't interested in film cans, tupperware, or even ammo cans. Yes, there are good containers and great containers, but the driving force for most people is either the location/experience or activity.

:blink::(

Wow I can't disagree more. The cache is everything. Without the cache, there is no point in bothering with this site and there is no point in digging through leaves near fallen trees. Without the cache you are just hiking (which I do enjoy). Some virtual caches and Earthcaches take you to some cool places that you might not otherwise go. I have done some really horrible ones too. If every waymark (or Pokestop) was a virtual cache, I'd switch to the Pokémon game. I did 1 webcam cache just to get the icon. I won't do another. Geocaching, to me at least, is the hunt for hidden physical containers.

I kinda agree with Joshism, and believe that along with cost and concealment, that may be the biggest reason we're seeing so many micros at vistas.

There are already laws:

Trespassing laws.

Anti-litter laws.

Anti-vandalism laws.

Parking ordinances.

Especially "texting while [your violation here]". Likely the most common way for phone issues related to not paying attention. Now blamed on an imaginary animal.

I believe the reason why it works is the full set. You go for the physical cahe and you get a trip/hike/nice view/interesting new place/knowledge about the area in the process. This is why the game survived for so many years without changing the general idea.

do i understand this correctly that people here actually think writing new laws and ordinances banning a gps based GAME is actually feasible, out any way legal?

gps is public sector, a person's phone or gps is private property, a person's intent for being at a location is also private. each and every case needs handled individually, or you end up with an idiotic state of 'everyone is guilty'.

come on people think

Why, sure, I think people will write new laws. In the U.S. these days, the argument starts with declaring something bad, then making a law against it, and only then trying to figure out how to enforce it. That's one of the reasons geocachers should be most concerned: the first way they'll enforce a law against "GPS games" is to forbid physical elements of the game from being placed in the designated "bad place to play". Presto, that eliminates geocaching even though the restriction has no effect whatsoever on PG which was the actual cause of problems. This is exacerbated by the fact that through long experience and finely tuned awareness of the impact on others, GS will, quite rightly, stringently enforce such a ban, while I've seen no evidence that whoever runs PG has any concerns at all about how the game affects non-players and certainly has no history of enforcing local requirements.

While I think that the container is the least important part of caching, chasing down a virtual Pokemon does not seem like a good alternative for me. Still, I have thought about whether virtual trackables could be incorporated:

What would I adapt to geocaching? Can I get a lure to attach to a cache that will attract trackables?

I like that idea. Not to replace physical trackables, but add virtual trackables. If as a CO I lure virtual trackables to my cache, then it may attract more visitors to discover them.

At one time, I looked at the old Gowalla app that allowed you to check in at various location, but also collect or move a number of virtual items (including a Beatnik). The check in aspect was not that interesting, although there was a wide range of categories to focus upon, but the virtual trackables were fun. The Itography app seems like a similar concept. I used to think that something like this might have attracted more interest in Waymarking. But given how some enjoy trackables (and virtual things like souvenirs or badges), perhaps there is a way to make it work by finding or moving virtual trackables at the time a cache is logged.

In a matter of days, people using this app have caused all sorts of problems. Arlington National Cemetery has asked people to refrain from doing it on their grounds. Storekeepers are putting signs in store windows telling players to stay away. The police are raising red flags about safety because of people walking into traffic.

Geocachers would be well advised to create as much distance from this insipid nonsense as possible. It is a trainwreck and exactly what we have worked diligently for years to avoid.

Guess it would be like geocachers pulling out into traffic almost causing accidents on power trails, or geocaches being blown up by various police departments. Or places of businesses on lockdown because of a geocache. So where's the real trainwreck. Every time a new game pops up the geocaching world goes into a fit and I find it hilarious.

We are constantly fighting to save the game from the problems you've mentioned.

In a matter of days, this new thing has caused more hassle than geocachers cause in a year. And our name is being associated with it. I expect we'll see even more parks and municipal properties become off-limits to GPS games including ours, despite all the efforts we have made to save it.

What hassle are you talking about???? Too many people in one spot....like a flash mob? People walking into traffic? What hassle? It's a virtual game with NOTHING real to find,hide. Just some people walking around staring at their phones. What's the hassle?

Why, sure, I think people will write new laws. In the U.S. these days, the argument starts with declaring something bad, then making a law against it, and only then trying to figure out how to enforce it. That's one of the reasons geocachers should be most concerned: the first way they'll enforce a law against "GPS games" is to forbid physical elements of the game from being placed in the designated "bad place to play". Presto, that eliminates geocaching even though the restriction has no effect whatsoever on PG which was the actual cause of problems. This is exacerbated by the fact that through long experience and finely tuned awareness of the impact on others, GS will, quite rightly, stringently enforce such a ban, while I've seen no evidence that whoever runs PG has any concerns at all about how the game affects non-players and certainly has no history of enforcing local requirements.

There could be restrictions based on location. Tennessee comes to mind as one state that bans games or amusement in certain cemeteries, although the statue was enacted long before anyone even thought about a gps game. South Carolina debated a law that would have targeted caching. But issues with this game have been handled through land managers rather than a specific law. Pokemon seems to follow this pattern with land owners or managers raising concerns about where the game is played. I don't think Pokemon will have any effect on the legality on GPS games - a broad law would seemingly impact any number of GPS activities (such as foursquare) and a law targeting physical elements would not affect Pokemon. If the latter kind of law was enacted, it would be because of the problems associated with this game and not a general reaction to Pokemon.

This blog wonders if Montreal will be the first city to ban Pokemon. But I suppose any number of places might generate similar questions.

What hassle are you talking about???? Too many people in one spot....like a flash mob? People walking into traffic? What hassle? It's a virtual game with NOTHING real to find,hide. Just some people walking around staring at their phones. What's the hassle?

It won't be considered a hassle by you or me, but that doesn't really matter if someone else thinks it's a hassle and can do something about it. To your specific examples, geocaches and geocaching events are at approved locations, and there's a feedback mechanism for people visiting the location to express concern over a problem created by the cache or event being there. As far as I can tell, the specific locations in PG were mostly created through automated processes, and pokemon themselves can turn up anywhere, so there's both no particular reason to think any given location involved in the game is safe, and no significant feedback mechanism for unsafe locations to be reported and avoided. When I add in the fact that the scale of the problem is already hugely larger than it is with geocaching, then, yes, I expect complaints, and I doubt anyone reacting to those complaints will consider them unique to PG.

There could be restrictions based on location. Tennessee comes to mind as one state that bans games or amusement in certain cemeteries, although the statue was enacted long before anyone even thought about a gps game. South Carolina debated a law that would have targeted caching. But issues with this game have been handled through land managers rather than a specific law.

Yes, I'm thinking of various restrictions, most of which could not actually be called "laws", but which, nonetheless, will impact geocaching and will be enforced by GS.

Pokemon seems to follow this pattern with land owners or managers raising concerns about where the game is played. I don't think Pokemon will have any effect on the legality on GPS games - a broad law would seemingly impact any number of GPS activities (such as foursquare) and a law targeting physical elements would not affect Pokemon. If the latter kind of law was enacted, it would be because of the problems associated with this game and not a general reaction to Pokemon.

I'm afraid I'm not so optimistic. I've seen to many times when authorities identify a new problem, but fail to cast the solution in terms that specifically target the new problem without also affecting less modern activities such as geocaching and it's old school fixed physical locations.

I see one thing that could be used in geocaching. I rather like virtual caches and there are so few of them and no more are allowed correct? I believe that there was a problem with the armchair logging or follow up from cache owners or something like that? (Please fill me in if I am wrong on that).

The technology that is being used could actually be used to breathe new life into virtual caches and bring them back to life. You would have to be at the physical location in order to log your find. Something along the lines of within 25 feet or so.

I guess what I am getting at is a hybrid between virtual and Wherigo. Sort of a single stop Wherigo. I have yet to do a Wherigo, so I may be way off base on that as well.

This sounds like a perfectly sensible solution to the virtual quandary. Surely this has been suggested to HQ before? Anybody know?

I don't think that was the primary issue with virtuals. The issue was reviewing them, saturation, and what was 'worthy'.

Geocaching for me is more about the location, journey and scenery as opposed to the containers. So I like the virtuals, because there's almost always something interesting there. It would be easier to judge 'worthiness' of a virtual if, like PG, the CO was required to submit a photo and the app showed that was what to look for. While the requirement to 'log by proximity' could be built into the Geocaching app, handheld GPS users would have to resort to traditional logging. No easy way to solve both camp's needs.

In a matter of days, people using this app have caused all sorts of problems. Arlington National Cemetery has asked people to refrain from doing it on their grounds. Storekeepers are putting signs in store windows telling players to stay away. The police are raising red flags about safety because of people walking into traffic.

Geocachers would be well advised to create as much distance from this insipid nonsense as possible. It is a trainwreck and exactly what we have worked diligently for years to avoid.

Guess it would be like geocachers pulling out into traffic almost causing accidents on power trails, or geocaches being blown up by various police departments. Or places of businesses on lockdown because of a geocache. So where's the real trainwreck. Every time a new game pops up the geocaching world goes into a fit and I find it hilarious.

In a matter of days, this new thing has caused more hassle than geocachers cause in a year. And our name is being associated with it. I expect we'll see even more parks and municipal properties become off-limits to GPS games including ours, despite all the efforts we have made to save it.

There have been numerous instances of people playing the game in places that are inappropriate, in a manner that is causing public alarm and inconvenience. People are playing it while they drive. They are walking into private businesses and bothering proprietors and paying customers. They are turning solemn historical landmarks into game spaces without permission from the property managers. This stuff is all over the news, and geocaching is being named next to it. We should be working to put lots of daylight between geocaching and this new app fad.

Being at the geocaching frontier or, better say, in a country where the favourite sport of powers of all levels is to suggest and implement restrictions and bans, I'd say that the worst scenario is that PG triggers a campaign against location-based games at whole. We've been in a pretty safe situation all these years just because local bureaucrats knew nothing about geocaching. However, PG created much noise. The President's press-secretary was questioned about whether pokemons are allowed to be hunted within Kremlin. It was reported that the President's Board on human rights (!) was going to discuss the "PG problem" and suggest restrictions for the game. Some local groups of restless idiots (we've got plenty of them in all spheres) already called the government to ban PG as a threat to local cultural traditions, etc. When I read these news I thought they were just jokes but no, this is what they talk about really seriously. This may effect geocaching negatively.

Another effect PG may have on geocaching (it was mentioned above) is that it will attract youngsters, muggles, etc. so that they go into this hobby, not geocaching. It's only one end of a stick. PG will also multiply the number of people who pay no attention to even cars running around them, not saying about stealth techniques, good camouflage, avoiding spoilers, etc. We've got many of such people already but there's a good chance we will have even more.

Getting back to the original proposals: at first glance I'd say they should not be implemented in geocaching, no way, sorry, it's another game, etc. On the other hand - I doubt that PG should be just ignored as a game having no relation to geocaching.

There have been numerous instances of people playing the game in places that are inappropriate, in a manner that is causing public alarm and inconvenience. People are playing it while they drive. They are walking into private businesses and bothering proprietors and paying customers. They are turning solemn historical landmarks into game spaces without permission from the property managers. This stuff is all over the news, and geocaching is being named next to it. We should be working to put lots of daylight between geocaching and this new app fad.

other things doing exactly the same...

phone calls

texting

changing a babies diaper

breast feeding

cycling

skate boarding

hover boarding

laughing too loud

holding a sign that says anything

standing statue still

laying down (sleeping or not)

photography (professional or not)

rubbing plaques

feet in fountains

Coins in fountains

smoking

vaping

getting a hair cut

listening to music

bird watching

people watching

dogs (any kind and activity)

frisbee

yoga

running

walking

back packing

polishing a car

sitting in a car

planking on a car

driving too fast

driving too slow

motorcycles (fast/slow/loud/smokey/old/new)

foot prints

fishing rods

reading

eating food

drinking alcohol

not drinking alcohol

basically, any human near a piece of stone (grave stone/monument/plaque/natural/man-made/etc) is a nuisance, and there should be a law against it.

unless it's my favorite hobby, then it's OK

...Getting back to the original proposals: at first glance I'd say they should not be implemented in geocaching, no way, sorry, it's another game, etc. On the other hand - I doubt that PG should be just ignored as a game having no relation to geocaching.

+1 I agree.

Just the attention alone, I believe, will eventually include us, since supposedly the majority are using phones, doing what appears to be the same.

Now that businesses are aware (all the trespass/vandalism issues say they are...) , should be interesting to see one placing that urban hide, thinking nobody will notice it (and that you didn't [really] get permission). :)

I'll let you work on putting lots of daylight between this new app fad....I have way better things to worry about. LMAO. What little I've seen on the news....I have not heard one word of geocaching. SMH :laughing:

I'll let you work on putting lots of daylight between this new app fad....I have way better things to worry about. LMAO. What little I've seen on the news....I have not heard one word of geocaching. SMH :laughing:

It's strange that you're paying so much attention to a stranger's take on the issue if it's so far beneath your concern. A weird topic to hone in on if it's not interesting to you.

other things doing exactly the same...

phone calls

texting

changing a babies diaper

breast feeding

cycling

skate boarding

hover boarding

laughing too loud

holding a sign that says anything

standing statue still

laying down (sleeping or not)

photography (professional or not)

rubbing plaques

feet in fountains

Coins in fountains

smoking

vaping

getting a hair cut

listening to music

bird watching

people watching

dogs (any kind and activity)

frisbee

yoga

running

walking

back packing

polishing a car

sitting in a car

planking on a car

driving too fast

driving too slow

motorcycles (fast/slow/loud/smokey/old/new)

foot prints

fishing rods

reading

eating food

drinking alcohol

not drinking alcohol

basically, any human near a piece of stone (grave stone/monument/plaque/natural/man-made/etc) is a nuisance, and there should be a law against it.

unless it's my favorite hobby, then it's OK

This is a disingenuous strawman that contributes nothing to the discussion.

Good geocachers have worked for years to convince land managers that we are respectful. That work is being undone by someone else's game.

Good geocachers have worked for years to convince land managers that we are respectful. That work is being undone by someone else's game.

The last time I worked with a land manager in a State Park when they were changing their policy on geocaching it was a geocacher that filed a formal complaint on a Park Ranger, and the first formal complaint in her seven year career. That really gave geocaching a black eye, and if not for some employees that were interested in geocaching they would have banned geocaching there at the park.

Now, the Pokemon Go players are there walking around not causing ANY problems using the fitness trails. So I fail to see how Pokemon Go is going to cause any problems for geocaching. I still have to fill out my permits and get them approved by the land manager.

We hear repeatedly that the news reporting on Pokemon Go is terrible and therefore Caching should distance itself. This means we should not adopt any features of P.G. (the theme of this thread).

I agree that we shouldn't change Caching, but not for that reason - it's simply a different game.

The news reporting i see shows issues with P.G. players. I interpret those examples as news reporting latching onto the most extreme examples, and understanding that these are rare. That's how news reporting works.

I'd say that the vast majority of people with direct contact with P.G. through playing it or having a kid in their extended family play it *love* the game.

We cachers can be a bit wistful or even jealous of that game's popularity, But that game *works* for a huge number of people around the world. Vladimir Putin would be very unwise to stand in the way of Pokemon Go - he'd be crushed!

Cachers have cultivated an air of mystery, intrigue, secrecy and an elite. Outsiders are "muggles" who will remain in the dark, while we are "in the know." No need to change now, no matter how deserving we feel that we should be the "media darlings," and not that other "silly" game!

It's strange that you're paying so much attention to a stranger's take on the issue if it's so far beneath your concern. A weird topic to hone in on if it's not interesting to you.

Maybe it was the way you were blowing things WAY out of proportion. But then again you were getting your info from the news and they NEVER do that :laughing: :laughing:

Edited by the4dirtydogs

Maybe it was the way you were blowing things WAY out of proportion. But then again you were getting your info from the news and they NEVER do that :laughing: :laughing:

The average person who doesn't know anything about geocaching will be hearing about these two games together, because the media is conflating them. This should be of concern to good geocachers who genuinely care about the game's reputation and legality.

In my travels over the past week I have encountered numerous shop owners and hotel staff who are struggling to cope with people playing this new game in an inconsiderate fashion on these properties. The average person can't differentiate between one GPS game and another. It is a real shame to see geocaching associated with such carelessness.

I haven't had time to watch "the news" but I do keep a Google alert for media stories about geocaching. It doesn't look good and thoughtful geocachers should be concerned that we are being affiliated with poor behaviour that has nothing to do with geocaching. We have enough trouble on our hands with poor behaviour by actual geocachers.

Edited by narcissa

The average person who doesn't know anything about geocaching will be hearing about these two games together, because the media is conflating them. This should be of concern to good geocachers who genuinely care about the game's reputation and legality.

In my travels over the past week I have encountered numerous shop owners and hotel staff who are struggling to cope with people playing this new game in an inconsiderate fashion on these properties. The average person can't differentiate between one GPS game and another. It is a real shame to see geocaching associated with such carelessness.

Good geocachers ask for and obtain permission before placing a geocache on private property, then we have to trust the ones that we lure to the area to seek the geocache to respect the private property. Look at Mega Events, hordes of geocachers in cars creating all kids of attention while group caching... but they come and spend money in the area so it's OK to tolerate them for a few days.

I'm not seeing the PG players doing anything worse than geocachers. They don't cause bomb scares like geocaching has. They don't damage lamp skirts by hiding things under them.

If urban geocaching is banned, I won't care. I'll keep hiking and finding geocaches where they are permitted. And please, ban those dangerous power trails placed every 528 feet along busy highways. That's not geocaching, that's just crazy. :(

Exactly. Most people see PG as a positive thing, with the negative news stories representing the rare fringe events - just as caching has rare negative events.

Whether it's "good" or "bad" isn't really relevant. It's a different game. Unfortunately, the fact remains that the poor behaviour is what stands out to many people.

I don't care what other games people choose to play. I do care that geocaching, which already has its own issues and inconsiderate players, is being associated with poor behaviour from an entirely separate game.

There are already so many places that are off-limits to us. It will be a real shame to see more doors closing on us because of someone else's game. I expect many of our best community spokespeople will soon be out of breath from trying to explain how we're different.

There are plenty of Pokemon Go players that have done...less than reasonable...things, but I just want to point out that this (from an early post in this thread):

"you can scan the news sites and find plenty of Pokemon examples, like the 15yr old, Arthur Digsby, that was shot and killed in NC yesterday for trespassing while chasing a Pokemon"

didn't actually happen: http://www.snopes.com/15-year-old-killed-trespassing-while-playing-pokemon-go/

Exactly. Most people see PG as a positive thing, with the negative news stories representing the rare fringe events - just as caching has rare negative events.

Whether it's "good" or "bad" isn't really relevant. It's a different game. Unfortunately, the fact remains that the poor behaviour is what stands out to many people.

That makes no sense.

That makes no sense.

How so? Seems like a perfectly logical assertion.

What's good about Pokemon that enhances my caching experience? It distracts muggles so they're oblivious to what I'm doing in the bush. :ph34r:

I went through a little parklet today on the way to a cache in the bush, and that parklet, it seemed popular with people following their phones to ...something. I'm seeing it a lot lately.

~~~

Hot town, cachin' in the city

Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty

Been down, isn't it a pity

Doesn't seem to be a cacher in the city

All around, people looking at phones

Walking off sidewalks, Pokemon breaks bones

But in the woods it's a different side

Go out and find a hide

Come-on come-on and cache it right

Despite the heat it'll be alright

And babe, don't you know it's a pity

That the Poke can't be like the cache

In the summer, in the city

In the summer, in the city

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Not everyone sees Pokemon Go as a bad thing. Here is a recent post from Virginia State Parks.

As the National Parks twittered;

We're so excited you're headed out to the parks. Go #FindYourPark & catch 'em all! #PokemonGo

But since I never have had anything to do with Pokemon, the only way to know for sure if it might impact this game would be to learn more about it. I was glad to find this information that explained everything I needed to know

Edited by geodarts

Not everyone sees Pokemon Go as a bad thing. Here is a recent post from Virginia State Parks.

We're so excited you're headed out to the parks. Go #FindYourPark & catch 'em all! #PokemonGo

As the National Parks twittered;But since I never have had anything to do with Pokemon, the only way to know for sure if it might impact this game would be to learn more about it. I was glad to find this information that explained everything I needed to know

I'm learning all I can about Pokemon, and I hope that people here in the forums understand that I never played Munzee or Ingress and I have don't ever plan to, Munzee is defaces public property with QR codes and I see them quite often. That game did not get geocaching banned. When I'm out on my 2 mile evening walk, I don't attract attention that I'm playing Pokemon Go, I don't step out into traffic. All the BS I'm hearing is coming from geocachers.

I don't think geocachers have or use any more common sense than other GPS related game players do. Today I geocached in a hot smelly storm sewer with a Mega numbers cacher, and it was the most fun I have had geocaching in several years. I made a new friend, we geocached, we had lunch, and we discussed geocaching.

Tonight I went out for a walk and met several Pokemon Go players a Stops.

The only place I'm seeing Pokemon Go talked down is here in this forum.

I don't think geocachers have or use any more common sense than other GPS related game players do.

I think there is a difference between geocaching, Munzee, Ingress etc on one side and Pokemon Go on the other side in the sense that a lot of people now try out Pokemon Go who have never played GPs related games before, among them many children.

I believe you that you do not run into a car when hunting for Pokemons and that you do not go into the house of someone else at 1 in the night, however some people seem to know no limit when they hunt for Pokemons.

It's not that everyone who hunts for Pokemons causes an issue, but many do because they lack any form of experience and self control which in my opinion are even more important for Pokemon go than say for geocaching and munzee as those are not dynamic in nature (with the exception of Wherigos of which there are however not too many).

I don't think geocachers have or use any more common sense than other GPS related game players do.

I think there is a difference between geocaching, Munzee, Ingress etc on one side and Pokemon Go on the other side in the sense that a lot of people now try out Pokemon Go who have never played GPs related games before, among them many children.

I believe you that you do not run into a car when hunting for Pokemons and that you do not go into the house of someone else at 1 in the night, however some people seem to know no limit when they hunt for Pokemons.

It's not that everyone who hunts for Pokemons causes an issue, but many do because they lack any form of experience and self control which in my opinion are even more important for Pokemon go than say for geocaching and munzee as those are not dynamic in nature (with the exception of Wherigos of which there are however not too many).

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand why we are considered stupid now because we started playing another game that is not geocaching.

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand why we are considered stupid now because we started playing another game that is not geocaching.

The stupid thing is not to play a game but it's stupid e.g. to break into a house at night with the intent to catch a Pokemon and getting shot, it's stupid to run into a car while hunting a Pokemon and it's stupid to drive into a tree because playing Pokemon. It's stupid to run into a church and shout around there etc

I'm confident that if people like you play Pokemon Go, it's not causing issues like the above. However as I said many people (and in particular children) are not attracted into Pokemon Go who not have your background.

That makes no sense.

No, it's not logical to conclude that because a few participants of any activity are careless fools therefore most or all are.

There are some horrible results of driving accidents. Therefore all or most drivers are dangerous?? Therefore a motorcycle or bicycling club must distance itself from drivers to avoid guilt by association??

I don't play PG but I've observed it up close and know some participants, who know many more. Trust me, this view, inferred from media reports of outlier incidents, that PGers are careless, dangerous lunatics is 180° from the truth. And if you dismiss my life experiences, consider this: the news reports simply do not support the view that anything more than a very small percentage of PGers have been negligent or violated laws.

... it's stupid e.g. to break into a house at night with the intent to catch a Pokemon and getting shot...

That didn't happen : http://www.snopes.com/15-year-old-killed-trespassing-while-playing-pokemon-go/

Thank you for helping debunk the anti-PG hysteria.

By the way, those that are *still* worried that Pokemon Go is a danger to the world and to geocaching (because people will assume cachers do the same crazy stuff that most PGers supposedly do), I have good news: in six weeks, school starts and the PG craze will cool down a lot.

... it's stupid e.g. to break into a house at night with the intent to catch a Pokemon and getting shot...

That didn't happen : http://www.snopes.co...ing-pokemon-go/

Thank you for helping debunk the anti-PG hysteria.

One example does not a debunking make. You wrote earlier

No, it's not logical to conclude that because a few participants of any activity are careless fools therefore most or all are.

It's also not logical to conclude that because some participants don't run into cars or trees and respect private property that most or all are playing the game safely.

I see the two games as completely different.

I play both with my nine year old. He loves geocaching scrapping around in woods and finding the containers, the problem is there are very few hidden within walking distance of our house, most involve a car journey which is fine for weekends but I refuse to drive in the evenings just to go for a walk!

We have just started playing pokemon go, much easier to find, we can go for a half mile walk every evening and pick something up, this is not possible with geocaching.

We geocache with a GPS and only use the phone for pokemon, walking along pavements the phone will not get dropped unlike the terrain for caches.

Pokemon go is also a lot easier, our find rate for caches is not good which leads to disappointment, especially as you do not know whether to carry on looking as it is definitely there as it could have been stolen, no issues like this with pokemon.

Personally we both prefer geocaching, it is more fun with finding the swag and the locations are certainly nicer/better thought out.

Pokemon has its place as well, it allows us to go out every night for a short walk, we previously did this anyway but even I was getting bored just walking to the same places. Pokemon makes local walking more fun.

I can't see why/how the two can't be enjoyed by the same people. Next time we look for a cache the plan is to find pokeman along the way as well.

My suggestion for improving the game to make more like are pokemon are impossible to implement as unlike pokemon, geocaching relies on volunteers.

- more local caches (I am already grateful for the people that have placed them around here, I don't expect them to do more so geocaching can't compete on this aspect)

- caches definitely there to be found - again nothing cachers can do about this, its not their fault if the cache is stolen.

That makes no sense.

There are some horrible results of driving accidents. Therefore all or most drivers are dangerous?? Therefore a motorcycle or bicycling club must distance itself from drivers to avoid guilt by association??

I don't play PG but I've observed it up close and know some participants, who know many more. Trust me, this view, inferred from media reports of outlier incidents, that PGers are careless, dangerous lunatics is 180° from the truth. And if you dismiss my life experiences, consider this: the news reports simply do not support the view that anything more than a very small percentage of PGers have been negligent or violated laws.

It is logical to point out that no the average non-player, the instances of poor behaviour are what they remember and what they will base their opinions on. We are being associated with this new game and cast in a poor light, which we frankly can't afford. Even a small press release by HQ could help mitigate the problem.

It is not logical for you to make personally antagonistic strawman arguments against a point that I never made. Disappointing.

It is logical to point out that no the average non-player, the instances of poor behaviour are what they remember and what they will base their opinions on. We are being associated with this new game and cast in a poor light, which we frankly can't afford. Even a small press release by HQ could help mitigate the problem.

A press release from Groundspeak could remind people that we are the game that causes bomb scares, such as when someone placed an ammo can camouflaged with circuit board under an overpass on a major highway. Or that we are the game that leaves containers on private property without permission, such as when someone got shot chasing down a cache that was placed on someone's land. We're the other "faddish game" that causes problems.

There have been reports of people making poor choices while playing Pokemon and there have been reports of people making poor choices while caching. As far as I know, Groundspeak has never issued a press release about the latter so it would seem a bit presumptuous to do so in response to Pokemon. The press that I have seen describing people being shot at playing Pokemon late at night, falling off cliffs, driving into trees, or describing problems with playing Pokemon at various locations have not mentioned this game - although we have had similar occurrences. Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

Edited by geodarts

A press release from Groundspeak could remind people that we are the game that causes bomb scares, such as when someone placed an ammo can camouflaged with circuit board under an overpass on a major highway. Or that we are the game that leaves containers on private property without permission, such as when someone got shot chasing down a cache that was placed on someone's land. We're the other "faddish game".

There have been reports of people making poor choices while playing Pokemon and there have been reports of people making poor choices while caching. As far as I know, Groundspeak has never issued a press release about the latter so it would seem a bit presumptuous to do something in the wake of Pokemon. The press that I have seen describing people being shot at playing Pokemon late at night, falling off cliffs, driving into trees, or describing problems with playing Pokemon at various locations have not mentioned this game. Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

Again, my point is that we struggle so much already with poor behaviour by geocachers, and now we are being further tainted by association with someone else's game. Maybe there isn't anything we can do about it, but I personally think it's worth noting that our game has made efforts to curtail problems. I am not interested in whether or not this other game is faddish or terrrible or whatever people are calling it. I just hope we can differentiate ourselves in a positive way so we don't lose ground. I worry that more places will become off-limits to us and that would be a real shame.

It's unfortunate that some others have chosen to be strangely antagonistic and put some terrible words in my mouth when I am merely concerned that geocaching will become off-limits in some places because of perceptions that could have been mitigated.

I can see why this other game is fun and while it isn't for me or my family, I hope they are able to correct some of the problems so it can be enjoyed in a safe and responsible manner by those who enjoy it. Any suggestion that I would want to ban someone else's game is thoughtless, disappointing, and totally out of line.

Maybe I missed something, but do any of the original post's suggestions takes in to account the cache owner? It's all about making it encouraging scoring, competition, getting the next smiley. If these suggestions were implemented we risk losing the few quality cache hiders we have left.

I don't think Groundspeak can compete with the Pokeman brand. Ingress was known among the location-based gamers, but put the Pokeman brand skin on it and it's a mega-hit with everyone. Maybe Groundspeak should sell to Nintendo and get the Mario Brothers skin on geocaching.

It's also not logical to conclude that because some participants don't run into cars or trees and respect private property that most or all are playing the game safely.

I agree. But my observations and my review of the news media reports leads me to conclude that *most* PG players are playing the game in a safe and harmless manner. It's true that i haven't observed every PG player. But I do know what we do *not* see in the media. If there were thousands of arrests, accidents, near-accidents, documented police reports, etc., we'd know about it. Ain't happening. Also, vast numbers of people have video cameras with them, and only isolated reports are coming in.