Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Manville Possum

Pokemon GO Gym Locations

20 posts in this topic

To create and manage Pokemon GO Gym Locations world wide. Any interests? Please discuss.

To create and manage Pokemon GO Gym Locations world wide. Any interests? Please discuss.

What's a Pokémon GO Gym Location?

[EDIT: I found this article that explains it all]. A Pokémon GO Gym is some landmark, such as a monument or bar (!), and is a virtual point in the App, used as a place to train and battle virtual AR Pokémon.

Edited by kunarion

[EDIT: I found this article that explains it all]. A Pokémon GO Gym is some landmark, such as a monument or bar (!), and is a virtual point in the App, used as a place to train and battle virtual AR Pokémon.

Exactly, and the ones I'm seeing locally are already listed Waymarks, such as Historical Markers.

Exactly, and the ones I'm seeing locally are already listed Waymarks, such as Historical Markers.

MPH -

We all ready have a group for that.

It's called DRIVE BY Waymarking. However, I don't think it has gone to Peer Review.

Edited by jhuoni

MPH -

We all ready have a group for that.

It's called DRIVE BY Waymarking. However, I don't think it has gone to Peer Review.

No, it hasn't. I'm still trying to sneek it through. :anibad: I'm currently working on a Wherigo based on Pokemon stop locations, and my plan is to recruit Pokemon players to vote in peer review after asking a moderator for a free 30 trial of premium membership. :anibad:

It's unlikely that Groundspeak would approve a category featuring a competing location-based game, even if the category passed peer review.

Off topic, if you devised such a Wherigo cartridge, your cache listing would need to be Pokemon-free.

It's unlikely that Groundspeak would approve a category featuring a competing location-based game, even if the category passed peer review.Off topic, if you devised such a Wherigo cartridge, your cache listing would need to be Pokemon-free.

:anibad:

It's unlikely that Groundspeak would approve a category featuring a competing location-based game, even if the category passed peer review.

Off topic, if you devised such a Wherigo cartridge, your cache listing would need to be Pokemon-free.

I was wondering how the Space Invaders category made it through peer review and past Groundspeak because it is a game too, but I can imagine that Groundspeak is not happy with Pokemon Go.

My Wherigo idea will not mention Pokemon, but all the Pokemon stops and gyms in my hometown are already listed here on the Waymarking site, so those are going to be my zones where you answer a question found at that location. I have never listed a scavenger hunt here, so that is an idea also.

:)

Edit to add: Not the Space Invaders Arcade game, but World Invasion that was posted before peer review.

Edited by Manville Possum

On a similar note...

I'm almost afraid to go out Waymarking right now.

I don't want to be accused of playing Pokey Man. 😁

On a similar note...

The Church here in Gate City where you used to get dragged by you dogs is one of my favorite PokeStops. :laughing:

I park near the Court House, where the veterans marker WM is listed as a gym, then walk up the street by the mural which is a PokeStop, then to the Church, on up to the Post Office, then to the Church n the hill near the High school which is a gym, then to the historical markers near LJS and Pizza Hut, where are all three PokeStops, then to the Fire Department behind campus which is another gym, then down the back street (Water street) to the Quick Stop where across the street at the Ghost Sign WM is a PokeStop, and on up to the Library which is another gym, then back to the parking which is about 2.25 miles.

I know that the route could be made by car, but I catch Pokemon for exercise. :D

On a similar note...

I know that the route could be made by car, but I catch Pokemon for exercise. :D

And I thought you were joking about this. You really are playing.

And I thought you were joking about this. You really are playing.

Yes, I really am playing and enjoying the family time I'm spending. Tonight we walked around Broad Street in Kingsport, and it's packed with PG players. That is the local Mega stops and gyms there near Church circle.

I logged a couple of WM's via Chiliheads mobile WM app tonight, and I hope our local megamarker likes my screenshots. :anibad:

In the Netherlands, many locations nuisance pokemon stops.

Many municipalities, government agencies, hospitals, hazardous locations etc etc ask the creator Niantic to stop with Pokemon stops and other pokemon points.

This will be done in more countries.

It's really NOT a competing game. It's a complementary game. One can play both at (sort of) the same time.

And other pokemon players make excellent cover for geocaching and Waymarking. Especially if there are groups in an urban area. They have a habit of walking out into traffic without looking. The resulting automotive brake noises are excellent distractions.

I was wndering how the Space Invaders category made it through peer review and past Groundspeak because it is a game too, but I can imagine that Groundspeak is not happy with Pokemon Go.

When will you stop whining about the space invaders category and move on. Not everyone is happy about that. Nothing is going to change. All we can do as individual players is try to prevent it from happening again. Posting categories you really have no intention of creating is not going to change anything. Groundspeak is not looking for suggestion of how to improve things on this site (Speaking of moving on, I was on the geocaching site the other day and wanted to navigate to Waymarking, so I clicked on the "Groundspeak" link since in the past that took me to a page with links to their various services - Geocaching, Waymarking, Wherigo and CITO. Guess what - now it redirects you to the current job postings at "Geocaching.com", not Groundspeak. Nowhere could I find a link to Waymarking. Groundspeak is Geocaching and Geocaching is Groundspeak and Waymarking and Wherigo are sins from the past they are trying to move on from. That's my interpretation).

I was wndering how the Space Invaders category made it through peer review and past Groundspeak because it is a game too, but I can imagine that Groundspeak is not happy with Pokemon Go.

When will you stop whining about the space invaders category and move on. Not everyone is happy about that. Nothing is going to change. All we can do as individual players is try to prevent it from happening again. Posting categories you really have no intention of creating is not going to change anything. Groundspeak is not looking for suggestion of how to improve things on this site (Speaking of moving on, I was on the geocaching site the other day and wanted to navigate to Waymarking, so I clicked on the "Groundspeak" link since in the past that took me to a page with links to their various services - Geocaching, Waymarking, Wherigo and CITO. Guess what - now it redirects you to the current job postings at "Geocaching.com", not Groundspeak. Nowhere could I find a link to Waymarking. Groundspeak is Geocaching and Geocaching is Groundspeak and Waymarking and Wherigo are sins from the past they are trying to move on from. That's my interpretation).

I can still get to Waymarking from cache pages -- which is how I always got here. I click on "find nearby waymarks" and boom! No problem.

And I like the Space Invaders category -- I just found 2 more SI waymarkables this weekend in Texas.

I would not be in favor of Poke Gyms, since they are going to be redundant with almost every other category (churches, historic markers, malls, pizza joints, outdoor sculptures, etc etc etc ad infinitum) AND they may be temproary as the game removes nuisance entries and creates new ones.

Also offish-topic: I currently reside in a special circle of hell because I have to drive 2 non-driving teenage pokemoners around, and they are always howling to slow down for this gym or can we go down that street for that gym. [sigh]

Pokemon Go is a competing location-based game. Therefore, mentions of Pokemon Go are not permitted on cache pages, nor would Pokemon Go gym locations be permitted as a Waymarking category.

For the record, this shouldn't be interpreted to mean that we have a "problem" with Pokemon Go. Geocachers are interested in lots of activities, including other games. However, we’re very protective of our customers. That’s why we don’t permit other games to leverage Geocaching.com or Waymarking.com to promote their businesses.

We generally refer discussions of other location-based games to those games’ forums. However, we’ve allowed some latitude for Pokemon Go since threads have mostly focused on how Pokemon Go relates to geocaching. Since this discussion has veered away from geocaching and Waymarking, I’m closing the thread.