Creating an event for a holiday destination

koselig

Since an event is fairly large (compared to other caches) and usually fairly obvious, you don't need spot on co-ords. What I've done in the past is find a cache near the event location and estimate the location co-ords. Check on the map.

If the event is happening at Big Momma's Bar and Grill, you mention that on the event page. Maybe mention you have a reserved table so cachers know what/who to look for, The co-ords could be the front door, the parking lot, in the middle of the building. People will go to Big Momma's, not to co-ords on the map. And those that do, well, they'll figure out that it's inside. So this, combined with the fact that events aren't subject to the same guidelines other caches are (ie proximity) means the co-ords could very well be 50 or 100 feet off if it's a big building.

Or you could always message a cacher from that area and ask for a bit of assistance.

I've run a few events when I've been travelling. I will often check out the location on Google Maps Street View (if possible) and when I'm happy I have a general location, I use this website to come up with a set of coordinates for the location. I usually say in the description that I will be the one holding the Australian Flag so look around and you'll find me. Coordinates for events don't have to be 100% accurate. All they have to do is get people to the general area.

Thanks both, what you have said makes sense, I had thought the coords needed to be as accurate as with a usual cache. I will use the site suggested by Calypso.

Cheers

Technically we are required to provide accurate coordinates obtained using a GPS, but the case of an event, which often is inside a building, I can't imagine that a reviewer would not allow a cache with coordinates taken using some other means which leads attendees to the entrance of a building.

Creating an event at a location one will be visiting to meet other cachers is pretty common. In April a geocacher from Europe had an event published in Cancun, which turned out to be a short walk from the hotel I was staying in while on my way to Cuba. The day before the event was to take place I got a PM from the creator of the event indicating that his flight was cancelled. I offered to host the event in case someone else showed up but he had the listing retracted. There was a traditional cache in the same location which I found for my first find in Mexico.

Thanks both, what you have said makes sense, I had thought the coords needed to be as accurate as with a usual cache. I will use the site suggested by Calypso.

Cheers

Technically we are required to provide accurate coordinates obtained using a GPS, but the case of an event, which often is inside a building, I can't imagine that a reviewer would not allow a cache with coordinates taken using some other means which leads attendees to the entrance of a building.

Google Earth is a useful tool. :) I use it often to get coordinates to places I visit.

Cheers

Most events at public establishments also include the street address in the cache description.

I would think Google Maps would provide sufficiently accurate coords for an event.

Folks from Germany hosting an event in Ontario, Canada:

https://coord.info/GC6KECF

An event with coords and the street address:

https://coord.info/GC6JBTH

B.