I know it’s a little early but..

soup

I had been going over the old posts and found last years Champoeg Rendezvous thread. Looking over the old posts, it seemed like many people wanted to rent a Yurt, but most were already rented out by the time planning took place (mid-April).

So I figured I would start this topic early so there would be enough time to plan and coordinate another fun event. The whole idea last year was to get folks committed to helping at the parks we use for our sport and build goodwill with the State parks folks.

At the same time it seemed like a great way to get folks together for some fun activities. Here are the pictures from last year http://geocaching.moonrize.com/Champoeg/

So, I think we need to first decide on a date.

isn't june 1st the day when state parks' entry fees are waived? To me, i think that would be the clincher.

I just checked the site, and as of today, all yurts are still available. We had better decide soon, however, as i'm sure that will change.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Hey Syn, Champoeg is a state park, so as cool as it is that you're in touch with the Portland parks people, it may not be relevant to the Champoeg get-together.

I would really like to do this on free-parks day. I know we wouldn't get our yurts for free, but it's still pretty fun. Last year there were a lot of people, but I don't think that we bothered them or that they bothered us much. either Saturday or Sunday is fine. If it's a Saturday, we can have YurtFest2003 Sat. night and if it's Sunday, we can do it the sat. before.

Are we going to be pulling ivy again? Because if so, i'm not going to drink the night before. Ivy-pulling sucks while hungover.

I chose LaurenCat because LaurenKittenPoniesFlowersPinkSunshineFairyMeowMeowRainbowHeartLoveBunnyKissKiss was just too F-ing long.

Last years "Free Parks day" was no problem. There were some people there, but it wasnt intrusive at all. Some were interested in what we were doing. Lots of fun, minus the ivy. icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Wayne, I just wanted us to think about reservations early in the game so everyone who is intersted, can get a Yurt or a good camping spot. I have no real time right now as I have a ton of projects to finish.. (anyone got a fire extinguisher?) icon_wink.gif

Hey Snazz, make sure you bring a better malted beverage cache than I did last year. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by soup:

Hey Snazz, make sure you bring a better malted beverage cache than I did last year.

Yeah, if you bring a box of Quail Springs IPA, please make sure it's not filled with sprite. If that happens two years in a row, i'll move on to margaritas.

quote:
Posted by pdxmarathonman:

What is involved in reserving the yurts? Do we have to put up a non-refundable deposit?

You can find out about all that on this website. So far, it looks like our dates are open, but that is sure to change shortly.

State Parks Day is always on the slow side, because it's the weekend after the holiday, by the way.

I have to vote for the same weekend as last year. Not really an issue about either the crowds or the cost, which are not a problem at all. But that was the weekend the parks folks suggested when no one else would have the covered shelter and they would like to see folks do volunteer work. So as far as the get-together goes it could be anytime you want, but to get along with the parks folks we should ask them again. And think about if we want to replace, move, change or add to the caches we did last spring? Those parks folks will probably have a limit to the number of caches they want placed in the park?! icon_frown.gif But there is no limit to the amount of ivy they need pulled! icon_eek.gif

How about this:

a)everyone that wants to camp, set it up for saturday, may 31st. Get a yurt if you can, but reserve them ASAP. We can all hang out and drink beer and eat BBQ that night and make fun of all the people that are coming the next day.

b)the official date for the cache, the get-together, and the ivy-pulling will be sunday, june 1st. those that wish to stay sunday--be it yurt-wise or not, are welcome to. I, for one, could probably swing for two nights in a yurt--especially if we get the turnout we did at skooter and maps-r-us's expertly planned shin-dig last time. jumpin' jesus on a pogo-stick, that was fun!

c)someone buys me a jumpsuit, as i've always wanted one. preferably orange or possibly ecru.

d)we don't add or subtract caches from champoeg. instead, we update them: make them better, more difficult, and idiot-proof icon_smile.gif.

e)one of us makes contact with the powers that be at champoeg (i'd be happy to do it) to schedule some ivy-pulling, trail maint., or whatever else needs to be done.

f)'the apparatus' is updated to include cheerleaders. succulent, succulent cheerleaders.

g)less chips, more meat.

the above are just opinions. improve on them if you can! to quote pdxkim: icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MattandLaura:

I think Oregone has a great idea sans the cheerleaders (I don't think Laura would appreciate it that much)

This Laura says 'bring on the cheerleaders!' BTW Oregone, are we talking Blazer's Dancers or Newport High School Cubs (that's where I went to H.S!). There's a big difference!

I always wanted to be a cheerleader, but then I gained 100+ pounds! I blame the college commons food! icon_rolleyes.gif

--laurak of dasein

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

f)'the apparatus' is updated to include cheerleaders. succulent, succulent cheerleaders.

So I have this idea for the 'Cheerleapperatus'.

There are cheerleaders stuck in this box see.. and there is a fire and they are covered in blinking smores and beer that tastes like Sprite.

I just need to figure out the pom-pom catapult part of the hunt... icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like a blast. Saturday disc golf and BBQ, Sunday cache and ivy... Very doable weekend. I will throw the tent in the jeep and go primative, leave the yurts for you all to fight over icon_razz.gif Anyone know if tent camping areas are close to the yurts?

Life is as much a journey of discovery, as it is a discovery of the journey...

**Namaste**

Regular campgrounds are free on Sunday night, and you can find a map at reserveamerica.com or that champoeg site i keep seeing. And although the yurts are spoken for, there are also some cabins on the other side of the campground.

Oh, and i think dogs are okay.

Yeah, the gathering is still intact. Looks like there other forces (evil or ?) interested in this date. That makes event(s) more diversified. I will make sure the ranger is notified of the B.A. dangers..

I was planning on talking to park staff this weekend, but yesterday somebody tried to enter my car using the universal key (a rock). Now my day will be spent searching the junk yards for another passenger window, and a stun gun for the intruder.

Drat!

What do you call 2,000 pounds of Chinese Soup? Won Ton.

At the YCM yesterday, a lot of WA folks seemed interested in attending, so the sooner the event page gets up the better. The way i understand it, half of the camping spots are already taken up by oregon geocachers--including, but not limited to, YurtTown. Man, that's gonna be totally nuts.

We just checked on campsite availability. Gonna decide in the next day or two whether we want to camp for just one night, go home for the night, or beg for a spot on the floor of a buddy's yurt.

--laurak

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

Got campsite A42. Right behind YurtTown... Looks like we should have plenty of folks to bring a demise to the evil Dr.'s plan icon_wink.gif We will be arriving Friday sometime so I will do my best to watch for any suspicious activities prior to the mass arrival on Saturday icon_biggrin.gif

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

**Namaste**