Can't view cache pages with IE

GordEtob

FYI: i opened a case at the Help Center

I received a reply but enabling compatibilty view does not solve the issue ...

Hello danny

- Thank you for contacting us about Wherigo.

We have identified compatibility issues between Internet Explorer and Wherigo.com and Geocaching.com. We're working to address these issues, but in the meantime you can take some steps to ensure you have the optimal view of our site through IE.

1. Go to your Tools menu
  2. Click "Compatibility View Settings" and insert Wherigo.com and/or Geocaching.com under "Add this Website"
  3. Click "Add"
  4. Click "Close"

Please also clear your browser cache and cookies. Alternatively, you canaccess the website through a different browser.

For more information, please check out the Wherigo forums.These forums are monitored and can usually provide you with the best support.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Janelle

Geocaching Community Manager

Hello danny

We have identified compatibility issues between Internet Explorer and Wherigo.com and Geocaching.com. We're working to address these issues, but in the meantime you can take some steps to ensure you have the optimal view of our site through IE.

1. Go to your Tools menu
  2. Click "Compatibility View Settings" and insert Wherigo.com and/or Geocaching.com under "Add this Website"
  3. Click "Add"
  4. Click "Close"

Please also clear your browser cache and cookies. Alternatively, you canaccess the website through a different browser.

For more information, please check out the Wherigo forums.These forums are monitored and can usually provide you with the best support.

Janelle

Why don't they put experts on this issue instead of letting Janelle post irrelevant stuff?

Having a script caught in an endless loop is no compatibility issue. It is bad programming.

Hello danny

1. Go to your Tools menu
  3. Click "Add"
  4. Click "Close"

Janelle

Why don't they put experts on this issue instead of letting Janelle post irrelevant stuff?

Having a script caught in an endless loop is no compatibility issue. It is bad programming.

Same problem here! I was away for the weekend without wifi, just discovered this problem yesterday. The latest temporary fix that they sent to Danny above, did nothing. Yes, get us professional tech help ASAP.

Edited by robinjune&hubb

Hello danny

1. Go to your Tools menu
  3. Click "Add"
  4. Click "Close"

Janelle

I received the exact same thing. I then restated the question in my reply, and received another answer just now. Yes, they are working on it. I guess it's a problem with ad servers vs. GS servers, so it's taking time to iron out, but there's no official info about that.

And they meant to say that the problem is in happening both on Wherigo.com and Geocaching.com. The posted steps are general ways to get IE working (and also, "try a different browser" is good advice for troubleshooting). The steps don't fix the "long-running script", but if your browser cache is all bogged down, clearing out Temp files could theoretically cause the browser to wake sooner so you can stop the script.

Open a cache page, click nothing and wait, then when IE wakes, stop that script from the Esc "X" (pictured in my previous reply), or in the popup banner, and the page works normally, until the next time you load one.

It's also cool to learn that GS actively monitors the Wherigo forums. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

I have got the same problem: it hangs in a script.

Appears to be in the 'modernizer' script, but can

be elsewhere.

It's on Internet Explorer, Windows 8.1

No probs on Firefox.

It's the same problem on Android, built-in browser and Chrome.

No problem for me on Android's browser.

Starting on Friday (July 8), I have not been able to view individual cache pages on geocaching.com. I can look at the home page, my profile, forums, etc. but when I try to look at an individual cache, I only get part of the page, or else I get "Geocaching.com is not responding due to a long-running script". The page just hangs then.

This occurs when I use I.E. (I'm using I.E. 11). I tried using CHROME to access geocaching, and everything works fine from there. Is there a problem with geocaching that needs fixing when I.E. is used?

I'm getting the same thing at times. The cache page freezes, the cursor does its usual sit-n-spin while the page loads for a while, then the "long-running script" message appears. It's happening today with Pipe Dreams (just as an example). Stop the script, wait for the page to re-load, and sometimes it's OK. I'm trying it just now, and it's stuck at a blank browser screen. I have to get Windows to shut down IE11 for me.

I've changed no setting since it started (I guess on the 8th). It's probably one of those things that will clear up automagically. :ph34r:

I am having same issue as everyone. Edge Win 10 doesn't recognize Garmin at all. No plugin use. Same with Chrome and Garmin. Very disconcerting. I have relied on IE in order to download caches to my Garmin GPSMAP 62 and 62st. There is a workaround I'll have to use until IE 11 and Win 10 get it together. Dang.

Thank you all for reporting this issue with Internet Explorer and the mysterious "long-running script".

The engineers deployed a FIX recently. Hopefully it will help to resolve the issue and help you return to geocaching!

Cindy / Frau Potter

Geocaching HQ

Thank you all for reporting this issue with Internet Explorer and the mysterious "long-running script".

The engineers deployed a FIX recently. Hopefully it will help to resolve the issue and help you return to geocaching!

Cindy / Frau Potter

Geocaching HQ

Thanks Cindy! I confirm that this problem is gone today.

Scott

Cindy / Frau Potter

Geocaching HQ

It is not fixed in the netherlands. I stille experiencing the problem. Refreshing the pages do not help

Same thing in Germany. Hello, Geocaching.com, can you fix it? Thanks a lot in advance.

It's easy to say "Don't use IE" but Chrome doesn't support the plugin for my Garmin GPS Map64 to download caches. So, my work-around is to use Chrome to view caches and to use IE to download from Geocache Map page/click on cache for the popup synopsis.

Got the long running script problem again. Is it just me?

I have to use IE to download to my GPS.

It's getting very frustrating as I'm trying to get ready for next weeks UK mega.

Should add that it's popping up when I try and log in or load a map of my local area.

Edited by Bean & Sprout

Is anyone else getting the same problems as me at all?

In IE if I go to geocaching.com it simply won't load and I can't log in.

Eventually it comes up with long running script.

I can get around it by copying and pasting a web link to a specific cache, but if I try and 'view larger map' it won't load the map either.

It's making it impossible to load caches from a new area as I HAVE to use IE for my garmin to allow me to download them.

Is anyone at GS looking into this please. I posted a few days ago and it is still broken.

I don't have a smart phone so it is making it impossibly difficult for me to load caches ahead of my trip to the Wales mega and I have no way of downloading caches once I've gone :(

Can anyone tell me how to report this to GS please.

Is anyone else getting the same problems as me at all?

In IE if I go to geocaching.com it simply won't load and I can't log in.

Eventually it comes up with long running script.

- snip -

Can anyone tell me how to report this to GS please.

Still working fine for me, and I'd think if it wasn't for others, they'd be right back here. :)

But, you can report your issue to Groundspeak in the Help Center.