Can't view cache pages with IE

GordEtob

Starting on Friday (July 8), I have not been able to view individual cache pages on geocaching.com. I can look at the home page, my profile, forums, etc. but when I try to look at an individual cache, I only get part of the page, or else I get "Geocaching.com is not responding due to a long-running script". The page just hangs then.

This occurs when I use I.E. (I'm using I.E. 11). I tried using CHROME to access geocaching, and everything works fine from there. Is there a problem with geocaching that needs fixing when I.E. is used?

Starting on Friday (July 8), I have not been able to view individual cache pages on geocaching.com. I can look at the home page, my profile, forums, etc. but when I try to look at an individual cache, I only get part of the page, or else I get "Geocaching.com is not responding due to a long-running script". The page just hangs then.

This occurs when I use I.E. (I'm using I.E. 11). I tried using CHROME to access geocaching, and everything works fine from there. Is there a problem with geocaching that needs fixing when I.E. is used?

I'm getting the same thing at times. The cache page freezes, the cursor does its usual sit-n-spin while the page loads for a while, then the "long-running script" message appears. It's happening today with Pipe Dreams (just as an example). Stop the script, wait for the page to re-load, and sometimes it's OK. I'm trying it just now, and it's stuck at a blank browser screen. I have to get Windows to shut down IE11 for me.

I've changed no setting since it started (I guess on the 8th). It's probably one of those things that will clear up automagically. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

FYI - we are getting many reports of this on the GSAK forums. I see it myself with Windows 10 and IE 11 on every cache page. The cache page takes a *very* long time to open, and eventually pops up a script warning message. 'geocaching.com is not responding due to a long-running script'. Seems there is some incompatibility between Windows 10 + IE11 and the gc.com cache pages.

As far as I can tell it's an ad script from 'securepubads.g.doubleclick.net' that's causing the problem. Edge and other browsers are fine, it's specific to IE11.

I am seeing the same problem.

IE version 11.0.9600.18350 under Windows 8.1. Viewing pages hangs the browser for a long time until one finally sees a dialog where one can stop the script.

Thanks, Kunarion, for the tip; that is helpful, but only when manually browsing to pages.

It does not help when other apps (e.g. GSAK) use the Windows browser component to show the goecaching.com cache pages. These don't show the URL, and have no obvious way to exit the script. Even right- or left-clicking on the page does nothing. Cannot even pull the scroll bar at those times. Work-around there (for some things) is to not use geocaching.com or plan to wait a long time at each cache page.

Viewing pages with Firefox 42.2.0 works OK.

Seems to be wold wide. I have similar problem with W8.1 RT+IE and W7+IE. Regards from Finland.

Actually it seems not to be just IE. I installed another browser (UC browser HD) in my Win RT8.1 pad. Same thing.

Edited by heppu22

I'm getting the same thing at times. The cache page freezes, the cursor does its usual sit-n-spin while the page loads for a while, then the "long-running script" message appears. It's happening today with Pipe Dreams (just as an example). Stop the script, wait for the page to re-load, and sometimes it's OK. I'm trying it just now, and it's stuck at a blank browser screen. I have to get Windows to shut down IE11 for me.

I've changed no setting since it started (I guess on the 8th). It's probably one of those things that will clear up automagically. :ph34r:

No, I think Problem is made by Groundspeak (or advertisements).

You can deactivate Active Scripting in Internet Options --> Security --> Internet --> active Scripting Checkbox disable.

But then, site Looks very poor: No map, etc. is displayed.

OTHER Websites run fine, Mozilla is ok.

Has GS changed somewhat in advertises. Some Advertising scripts are running very poor on IE and are causing Problems too.

Is there a problem with geocaching that needs fixing when I.E. is used?

I've tried the usual suspects. Cleared the browser of Temp files, adjusted the security settings and various other settings. I also installed Ad Blocker. No help.

It must be fixed on their end.

As far as I can tell it's an ad script from 'securepubads.g.doubleclick.net' that's causing the problem. Edge and other browsers are fine, it's specific to IE11.

Another good reason for a custom hosts file to dump the advertising sites ... here, all calls to doubleclick.net are answered by 127.0.0.1 (nowhere), so I don't have to worry about doubleclick or a whole HOST (bad pun) of other bad actors whose slow servers slow down content for others. I just plain got tired of pages that were constructed so that 3rd party content could cause these issues.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

I am getting the same thing on both of my computers, Windows 10 and windows 7. Most likely something on the web site. Glad to hear I am not the only one with this problem. Hope a fix come soon. I just wait a few seconds and then click on the stop script note and all is well for that action. Have to do it on all action though. It is a pain in the you know what.

Edited by cachercats

Windows 7, I.E 11, two different Computers, same result. Is GS onto this, if they are why are we recieving no Feedback on the subject?

I am having the same problem with multiple computers and browsers:

Windows 10:

Edge: Can't see the long running script message until I switch tabs one or more times. Trying to stop the script works about once in five tries. Most of the time it completely hangs Edge and I have to use the task manager to kill it. Stopping the task sometimes takes several tries.

IE11: Escape sometimes works. Escape sometimes works. Stopping the long running script works.

Chrome: Sometimes get the long running script and can stop it.

Windows Phone 8.1:

Edge?: Cache page loads but is completely unresponsive. Zooming in on the page results in out of focus display. Comes into focus and becomes responsive after about two minutes (on my home wifi which is otherwise working great). I tested this multiple times.

Experiencing much the same. Using both Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines and IE11. Page "freezes" until the "geocaching.com is not responding due to a long-running script" alert appears and the "Stop script" button is clicked.

This ONLY shows up on the individual cache pages (not when logging a cache, or viewing any other GC.com pages).

Is GS onto this, if they are why are we recieving no Feedback on the subject?

Good question. I'll try to find out if there's any activity. [EDIT: OK, I "emailed" them].

Wait... since when is it unusual that there's no feedback on a subject?! :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

I have got the same problem: it hangs in a script.

Appears to be in the 'modernizer' script, but can

be elsewhere.

It's on Internet Explorer, Windows 8.1

No probs on Firefox.

It's the same problem on Android, built-in browser and Chrome.

Edited by HawkXp

I have got the same problem: it hangs in a script.

Appears to be in the 'modernizer' script, but can

be elsewhere.

It's on Internet Explorer, Windows 8.1

No probs on Firefox.

It's the same problem on Android, built-in browser and Chrome.

I'm actually not having this problem on Chrome (the PC version). Haven't tried it on my phone's Chrome, though...