Zurich

Gill & Tony

I've booked into the Hotel Altstadt on Kirchgasse. I will be arriving in a hire car which I intend to return to Hertz on the day of arrival.

Looking at the hotel on Google Street View there doesn't seem to be anywhere to park the car outside. I was hoping that someone who knows Zurich might be able to advise whether it would be better to park outside the hotel and check in before dropping the car off or to drop the car at Hertz and then get a cab to the hotel.

I gather that cabs in Zurich are expensive. My original idea was to check-in, drop the car at Hertz and then walk back - it's only a kilometer or so. But now I'm not sure.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

Try contacting the Hotel, you might be able to park outside for a short period so you can unload cases etc. If not try this park house. Untere Zäune 8001 Zürich it is 400m from the Hotel and costs 2 swiss franks for an hour, the same with Hirschengraben 8001 Zürich which is 500m from the Hotel.

Yes, that's probably the best idea.

Thanks

Tony

The answer is pretty easy:

575850129835ef59ecde2258e60e9b4b.png

There is also a GSAK maco.

ATM locator: Custom Url

Hans

But I'm not arriving by plane.

However, I can use the same technique for going from the car drop off point to the hotel.

Isn't the Hertz car rental place near the airport? I assumed that you're driving to Zurich. You could avoid driving in the city by dropping the car off at the airport and taking the train from the airport to the central train station. I took that train a few years ago and It's an easy trip. The walk from the central station to the hotel would be nice but there's also a rail bus that would be quicker.

There is a Hertz depot at the airport, but I'm booked into the downtown one just 1Km from the hotel.

That seems like something Hertz would let you change, but if you can't, the walk from the downtown location would be nice (and there are a few geocaches along the way) as long as you don't have a lot of luggage. If you look at Zurich on Google maps and turn on the transit layer it looks like there is a bus that runs from close to the downtown Hertz location to your hotel. You might also ask the hotel about valet parking.

I'm happy with the downtown location.

The hotel have said that there is a drop-off area in front of the hotel (I'm assuming that it's a "driver stays with the car" arrangement) so I can drop off the cases and Gill can check in while I drop off the car. We are away for 6+ weeks so we will have a fair amount of luggage and walking any distance with it won't be an option.

Thanks to all who replied - I think I've sorted it out now.

Cheers

Tony