Did I Just Go Geocaching?

Bear with me; this is a little long but it comes back to geocaching at the end.

So, I've been a geocacher for about six years. Not a lot of finds; I'm pretty busy and don't get to go out very often, but I enjoy this hobby immensely.

I've tried to get my kids interested, but they're not. They're both online gamers, and this isn't an activity that they grok.

My son does enjoy hiking and he's put up with the occasional cache trip as long as it's to a location that interests him. As often as not he'll sit on a stump and wait for me to finish the 'Drunken Bee Dance'.

My daughter is more vampire-like in her activities, limiting herself to INDOOR pastimes, usually wifi-ical in nature. She's not really an 'outdoor' individual. She's the type of person who needs to put on sunscreen to look out the window.

On a rainy day.

She's always been a fan of the 'Pokemon' world. For those of you who don't know, Pokemon are creatures that you collect, train and battle against each other. Books, manga, anime (movies AND TV), videogames on every conceivable gaming platform; for twenty years it's been the gold-standard of kids' gaming. And, as I can tell you from countless friends' families, once bitten, it stays on into young adulthood.

So early this evening, I see her sitting there, watching TV, and every few minutes poking at her phone.

"Watchadoin'?"

"Watching the Android Play Store. Waiting for a new release."

After a while, there's a shriek.

"WHAT?" I said, startled.

"TWO YEARS! IT'S OUT!"

She shows me. "Pokemon GO!"

"Let's see what's here," she says as she stands in the living room, slowly turning around.

My wife says, "Is that the one where you find them in your neighborhood?"

"YES! (sharp intake of breath) Omigod! There's one right outside! C'MON!!!" She heads for the door.

"Where's she going?" I ask.

"Out there," the wife answers. "Gotta catch 'em all!" (That's Pokemon's catch-phrase, which is frequently used in these forums to point out to people that in geocaching, you don't gotta.)

"Wait!" she says, pulling up short. "Which way's the front?"

From across the room, pulling on my sneakers, I think about the annoying default "North-Up" map orientation of the geocaching Android app. "Tap the little compass symbol."

"<Tap> Ooohhh - wow, that's cool. Wait," turning to me. "How did you know to do that?"

"Just how things work, kiddo." (Every day, there are fewer and fewer opportunities to show stuff I know that she doesn't as she gets older. Take 'em as you find 'em, and take credit for 'em.)

I followed her outside. She's blindly following her phone across the lawn. I catch up to her and look over her shoulder where I see a map of my neighborhood, just like the one in the caching app, with a little furry tail disappearing off the top of the screen.

"It ran over to next door!"

She tries to figure out how to get through the hedge. I'M wondering if SHE'S wondering how IT got through.

I point out, "You can just walk around the end over there..."

"Noooo," she says, dejectedly. "It looks like it went into their house. This way!" and we're off down the road, around the corner. "There's gotta be some more down by the lake."

Sure enough, we get down there, about a quarter-mile away and she says (no kidding), "Shhhh!"

Now, I'm digging this. Not the game, but the walk with my kid down this road through the woods. Don't get to do this often.

"Shhh, she's right...there.... on the other side of...the...fence."

I swear, as embarrassing as this is, I actually LOOKED over there, on the other side of...the...fence.

"You can't go in there."

"Don't have to."

I look at the phone screen, and sure as shootin' there's an 'Eevee' bouncing up and down just a few feet away on the map, staring at her. 'Eevee' is a fox-like creature. Very cute. My daughter dressed up as one many Halloweens ago.

You catch Pokemon with a device called a 'pokeball' (pronounced 'poke-e-ball'). Throw it accurately enough, and the ball sucks the critter in. And, you should know that when outside of a ball some of these things are the size of houses! Gosh, people in the Pokemon world walk around with LOTS of 'full' pokeballs in their backpacks. Challenged by another player? Just pull a ball out of your collection with a Pokemon that's best suited to the specific combat, and throw! Pop open, it's out, battle, it's back in, ball goes back in the backpack.

So she pulls out a virtual pokeball in the app and manages to actually catch the darn thing! Woo-Hoo! Now, I'd like to point out that 'Eevee' is and always has been her favorite out of the more than 750 Pokemon types. Coincidence? Hmmm. She's signed in to this game, like she's been signing into Nintendo software for years. It knows who she is, so I suspect this first capture was no mere coincidence.

"So, you're not going to go around staring at the map every place you go, seeing if there's one around, are you? Because that wouldn't be safe!" I said, because I've NEVER done that in the car with the GC app on my phone.....

"Don't be silly, Dad. You don't REALLY have to catch 'em all, you know."

---------------------

So there we were, walking back up to the house, and for some dumb reason I have this urge to go online and write a 'Found' log! No, that's wrong, so I'm doing this forum post instead.

Did I just, essentially, go caching with my daughter? I think so! I wonder if I can make this work for me, and get her out looking for Tupperware....

(Edited to re-correct the spelling correction my son made to a word I hadn't mis-spelled in the first place. Lesson: Don't walk away from your PC when you're logged on.)

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

I just got Pokemon Go yesterday too! So psyched! Sometimes they appear in your house too. I checked the game this morning and there was a Shellder in my bed! Then i got a notification of a pokemon nearby outside. I rushed outside barefoot and caught a Squirtle outside of my neighbor's house!

There's no PvP yet, but it's more than likely in the works.

I don't know how my phone battery is going to survive both geocaching and Pokemon Go. Just bought a backup battery yesterday. I hope that's going to be enough!

Since I started caching, I'd always thought it would be cool to set up a mystery cache that could only be found using clues provided in an Augmented Reality app like Layar. I just never had the patience or know-how to set something like that up...and always sort of figured it wouldn't get through a reviewer anyway.

Edited by J Grouchy

Since I started caching, I'd always thought it would be cool to set up a mystery cache that could only be found using clues provided in an Augmented Reality app like Layar. I just never had the patience or know-how to set something like that up...and always sort of figured it wouldn't get through a reviewer anyway.

You mean something like this one ?

Without clicking through and seeing what is involved, I can only assume it's similar. Never said it was an original idea...maybe it would be in my area.

Without clicking through and seeing what is involved, I can only assume it's similar. Never said it was an original idea...maybe it would be in my area.

Erm - I thought I was helping by sharing the existence of this one. Looks like I got it wrong. Do excuse me.

Erm - I thought I was helping by sharing the existence of this one. Looks like I got it wrong. Do excuse me.

Like I said...lack of technical know-how and patience are the biggest factors in keeping me from bothering. Knowing it could potentially be published, while good to know, doesn't necessarily inspire me to move forward.

Like I said...lack of technical know-how and patience are the biggest factors in keeping me from bothering. Knowing it could potentially be published, while good to know, doesn't necessarily inspire me to move forward.

Frankly I can't see why you bothered mentioning it at all then.

I'm only sad that I wasted time trying to offer positive input.

Not sure why you are so rude about it. I never ASKED for anyone to offer ANY input. Your wasted effort is your own problem since I pretty much spelled out my reasons for not setting something like that up in my first post about it. You merely chose to ignore what I said about it.

Edited by J Grouchy

My son is in "gaming" summer camp this week and had the opportunity to try out the new HTC Vive. It's a virtual reality system that allegedly is a lot better than one called Oculus Rift or the Samsung VR system. Over in the All Nations sub-forum you'll see frequent posts about "exchange caches" which require two different cachers to work together to find a cache in two different places far apart. I wonder if one of these VR systems could be used by someone to "find a cache in a Virtual World" and direct someone else far way to the cache at the same time. There's even a "teamwork required" attribute that could be used.

My son is in "gaming" summer camp this week and had the opportunity to try out the new HTC Vive. It's a virtual reality system that allegedly is a lot better than one called Oculus Rift or the Samsung VR system. Over in the All Nations sub-forum you'll see frequent posts about "exchange caches" which require two different cachers to work together to find a cache in two different places far apart. I wonder if one of these VR systems could be used by someone to "find a cache in a Virtual World" and direct someone else far way to the cache at the same time. There's even a "teamwork required" attribute that could be used.

That would be interesting...though someone would have to pay me to strap on a pair of those goofy looking goggles.

Not sure why you are so rude about it. I never ASKED for anyone to offer ANY input. Your wasted effort is your own problem since I pretty much spelled out my reasons for not setting something like that up in my first post about it. You merely chose to ignore what I said about it.

You never asked for any input? So why mention it in a public forum at all?

What, honestly, were you expecting as a response? OH THANK YOU THANK YOU THAT'S JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR! I'M SO HAPPY YOU SHOWED ME THAT, SO NOW I CAN GO DO SOMETHING THAT I SPECIFICALLY SAID I DIDN'T HAVE THE KNOW-HOW TO DO!

Seriously, if fawning gratitude was your goal...sorry to disappoint.

What, honestly, were you expecting as a response? OH THANK YOU THANK YOU THAT'S JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR! I'M SO HAPPY YOU SHOWED ME THAT, SO NOW I CAN GO DO SOMETHING THAT I SPECIFICALLY SAID I DIDN'T HAVE THE KNOW-HOW TO DO!

Seriously, if fawning gratitude was your goal...sorry to disappoint.

It would be better, if your comments aren't intended for public attention / response that you don't bring them to a public forum - simple as that.

Thanks for the post, made me laugh.

This link is for your daughter: :laughing:Pikachu Sightings

Cute story, I like your writing style. And the story was helpful to me, as a friend on Facebook posted this about it and I had no clue what she was talking about:

Pokemon go! Oh my goodness i'm so alive

Thanks to both of you.

(Lumbricus, I passed the link on to my daughter.)

...Bill

Thanks for the timely post! I just got to see this game up close. It seems that you don't have to do much more than arrive at the destination. If kids do it on foot, it's great exercise. However, it seems that driving close to the destination is also good enough. :shocked:

Thanks for the timely post! I just got to see this game up close. It seems that you don't have to do much more than arrive at the destination. If kids do it on foot, it's great exercise. However, it seems that driving close to the destination is also good enough. :shocked:

Sounds a bit like how some people play the game of Geocaching.

Did I just, essentially, go caching with my daughter? I think so! I wonder if I can make this work for me, and get her out looking for Tupperware....

That actually sounds way cooler than rooting around under bushes to find a pill bottle with a piece of mouldy paper inside... :ph34r:

There could be a plug-in for the Geocaching App. Find caches (I guess find the mouldy paper... or not... discuss among yourselves). Then the App can create some calculation of cache description, Favorites, attributes, Difficulty, and Terrain, where kids can select from caches they've found, train and battle them against the others'. This would be suitable if also connected to Waymarks.

Edited by kunarion

My son has been caching since he was five (he's now 19). He's quite ambivalent about it, even though he's always been the best in the family at finding the containers. So he calls us up on Friday, so excited, breathing hard because he and his fiance are running to the closest park to catch pokemon. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: He said there were like 30 other people in the park playing pokemon, and someone driving by yelled out of their car window, "Go team blue!". :blink::laughing:

Glad I read the OP's first post to my husband so that we were all on the same page when our son called. We were at church on Saturday and my son was showing me a pokemon that was right in front of us while we were in line for potluck. Oh, my goodness. :laughing:

My parents drove me home from church, and we drove by a cluster of young people on the side of the road staring at their phones. My parents were trying to figure out what was going on, and I told them "Pokemon go." And then I read them the OP's first post.

So! This thread has been helpful with us old folks! My husband just can't figure it out. I told him that lots of people think that geocachers are weird nerdy people, too, and it isn't that much different.

Edited by Ambrosia

Groundspeak is the umbrella of 3 groups like Geocaching. The other 2 are Waymarking and Wherigo. Waymarking is interesting and unique places and Wherigo can have augmented reality. Get an appp is step 1 then...

Step 2

Step 2: Go Out and Play

Playing a cartridge is an interactive experience that requires you to move between zones. Walking into or near a zone allows you to complete tasks and interact with items and characters, both real and virtual.

The concept is related to Geocaching, Groundspeak owns all 3 groups your login here works on the other 2 sites and yes there are Pokemon cartridges on Wherigo, the only question I have is Pokemon Go a Groundspeak thing or did they infringe on U.S. Patents and/or Copyrights. Since it has "go" in it and "where I GO" is a Groundspeak group it makes me wonder if Wherigo put the go in "Pokemon Go".

so far none of my searches have turned up a link between Pokemon Go and Wherigo, except that Wherigo has had Pokemon cartridges for a VERY long time.

This may be something the lawyers have to decide. I'd love an official word from Groundspeak on this topic. I scanned pretty fast through things and saw Ingress on the list which is claiming it was the one that developed the tech behind Pokemon Go.

Ingress is also laying claim to the title of " first “real world” game"

Wikipedia say "Pokémon Go (stylized as Pokémon GO) is a free-to-play augmented reality mobile game developed by Niantic for iOS and Android devices.[1] The game was released in July 2016."

Wherigo has a pokemon cartridge dating back to 2010 http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=5e93dea4-1fea-4629-8c76-2994afcbb888

This is funny because I had heard of geocaching here and there and thought it would be fun to do but never really got around to trying it. Enter Pokemon go. I never was a fan of Pokemon, but the idea of looking around the real world for them, and the hype from my peers, piqued my curiosity. I downloaded the app and caught a couple of them, but realized I don't really like Pokemon and there's nothing for me to do after I catch them. So then I immediately downloaded a geocaching app to see what was around me, and I found my first cache that day (yesterday). Much more rewarding that finding Pokemon. :)

OMG... in my little town of 4k... I counted over 2 dozen kids within a hour. Since I play ingress off and on, I know where the "portals" are at. My neibhor know nothing about pokemon but know about geocaching so I have to explain it a little to her. She and her hubby happen to own old building with a portal on it and they noticed more foot traffic. :blink: She asked me if they can take it down... I told her... good luck... I have no clue. My concern is, some people do it pretty late at night many of my neighbors got guns.

I really do hope this die down some before it get way out of hand.

And then there's this:

If you signed up for Pokémon Go with your Google account, you might not know it but the game now has "full account access."That can be a major security risk. Adam Reeve, who first documented the issue on his Tumblr blog, said it appears to be a problem isolated to iPhones and iPads. It's not thought to affect Android devices.In our testing on two iPhones, the Pokémon Go app didn't explicitly ask permission for full account access when logging in with a Google username and password. By this point, it should have told us what data the app needs. Instead, it simply skipped straight to the app's terms of service, which makes no reference to the full account access.Under the hood, you've given the app and its creators access to your Gmail account and inboxes, search history, personal information, Google Photos, everything in Google Drive, search and location history, and more.Not only can the app read your data, inbox, calendar events, and search history, it can also modify it. That's usually reserved for trusted apps, like browsers and mail clients -- such as Google Chrome -- and not games or most other apps.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/pokemon-go-is-a-major-security-risk-for-your-entire-google-account/

If you signed up for Pokémon Go with your Google account, you might not know it but the game now has "full account access."

According to the latest update from Adam Reeve they are already working on it:

"So Niantic have come out with a statement which you can read over at Polygon. The summary is that they acknowledge the issue and are working on a fix for the app. Google are also working to change the privileges given to existing users so hopefully it should be resolved for everyone soon."

ETA: There seems to be another issue which endangers your phone:

Pokemon GO is already claiming clueless victims

Edited by Rebore

<snip>

(Edited to re-correct the spelling correction my son made to a word I hadn't mis-spelled in the first place. Lesson: Don't walk away from your PC when you're logged on.)

Thanks - I enjoyed the story.... My son is nearly 7, and an avid cacher, I'll just pretend like I've never heard of Pokemon if he asks about it...... I though Pokemon was something for 4 year olds to play with? Must have been mistaken.....

<snip>

Thanks - I enjoyed the story.... My son is nearly 7, and an avid cacher, I'll just pretend like I've never heard of Pokemon if he asks about it...... I though Pokemon was something for 4 year olds to play with? Must have been mistaken.....

Oh, no no no...

My kids have been playing this game for as long as they've been able to hold up a Nintendo Gameboy; one of them since its inception in 1995. This new game is actually a '20 year' celebration event.

'Pokémon GO!' is an off-game side-thing. In it, you collect the monsters, and there's some competition at the designated 'gym' locations (not to be confused with the 'Pokestops' that are in the news these days).

But, there isn't much (any, I believe) cross-activity or interaction with the ACTUAL networked game. The Pokemon you collect in 'GO!' don't get added to your 'official' stock, or herd, or collection, or whatever the heck it's called. In THAT world, people have been collecting, breeding and training their monsters for up to 20 years, cloud-based, cross platform, and the competition is fierce. The breeding methods are complex, combining Mendellian genetics with bit-logic math.

A few days ago she explained to me how she's built her collection over the years, and I can assure you, that's no simple game. People who are into it have quite a bit to pay attention to.

On the other hand, this new thing, at this point, doesn't seem to be much more than walk around, collect a critter, maybe fight against someone at a gym where it doesn't effect anything, and if you can't get to a Pokestop to 'gear up' (get new pokeballs) for free, make REAL-LIFE, IN-APP PURCHASES ON YOUR PHONE in the field. THAT'S where they're making their money. Ask your kids how much they're spending on Pokeballs.

Silly thing is, all those people getting hurt walking into walls (or traffic!) staring at their phones? Your phone vibrates when one comes near, so there's no need to stare at the thing. You don't really even have to move. Seen the pics on the news of 'gangs' of kids standing around in parks, not searching? You can set a lure to attract them, and just wait. Of course, lures also attract other players, and that's how some OTHER people are making money: Set a lure in a dark alley at night, and some idiot will rush in to take advantage of your lure. Stick-em-up! Many have been mugged; lots of rumors about people getting killed. Wouldn't surprise me.

But, just like anything else, it isn't the game that's the problem, it's the common sense and the perspective of the players.

Compared to the real game/hobby, I liken this to the hoards of new cachers who think geocaching is only about looking at your phone (ignoring any description or special instructions), driving to a dot in a parking lot, signing a piece of paper and driving to the next one. There's a depth of experience that they're not exposed to by playing only that surface level.

My son just started playing. It is interesting to see that all the PokeStops found in the game are actually portal locations from Ingress; even using the portal photos from Ingress. So, it looks like maybe Ingress was all just an elaborate way to get suckers to help build a database of interesting location for the Pokemon Go app.

My son just started playing. It is interesting to see that all the PokeStops found in the game are actually portal locations from Ingress; even using the portal photos from Ingress. So, it looks like maybe Ingress was all just an elaborate way to get suckers to help build a database of interesting location for the Pokemon Go app.

Same company - the PG game is built on the already-existing Ingress map.

Same company - the PG game is built on the already-existing Ingress map.

and the database of interesting locations built by the Ingress users...

But jokes on them. A lot of the Ingress portals were spoofs put there by us early users.