Clustering

I hate the new clustering feature as well - it is so frustrating!! There should be an option to turn this off since most people are not impressed with it! And today I received a notification that the cost of the app is now $29.99 - I thought it was only $9.99! Did they really increase the price by 200% when the next most expensive app is $5 and some people say it's better than Groundspeak's app??

And today I received a notification that the cost of the app is now $29.99 - I thought it was only $9.99!
The app is FREE... $29.99 is the cost of Premium Membership for a year... $9.99 for 3 months.
The previous (now "Classic") app was a $9.99 one-time charge.

I was going to comment on the release notes, but they were locked.

I do use another ap on occasion. I guess I will be using that one a bit more now. I also have a problem with new caches not showing up on the ap, but the alternate ap brings it up right away.

It is good to have options.

Edited by GC Parrotheads

I keep reading posts about how bad clustering is, but nobody explains WHY it's so bad. Usually, they're written with a presumptive attitude that we all hate it and can't fathom why those knuckleheads at GS would even THINK about doing something so ludicrous!

People play in so many ways, so I assume that to some people this makes THEIR method of playing more difficult. Personally, I'm new to the Android app, so I guess I don't have the smartphone experience and perspective to simply understand the problem.

So, please, without spittle and raised voices, can someone explain their opinions about clustering?

Sure, when I look at a map I want to see what is on it. I have some visual issues since a stroke a couple of years ago, and I need things to not be changing on me.

Plus, when I am looking for where to cache, my brain looks at the caches and roads and such mapping a possible route to travel before I zoom in and look closer.

I happen to be very visually inclined and having the geocaches show where they are on the map is the way I need to see it.

I don't want them to remove the function, I just want to be able to turn it off for my use.

Good question team rabbit run. I'll actually pose the same question in reverse. I can't see any reason where clustering like that would be an advantage and would be interested in hearing why people do like the function.

As I understand it, the main advantage of clustering is faster rendering. Instead of rendering 100 small dots on the map, all crowded together and overlapping, the app instead renders one large dot with the number "100" on it. Or maybe two large dots with the numbers "63" and "37" on them. Or whatever.

I can't see any reason where clustering like that would be an advantage...

The first that occurs to me, applies for areas with high density of caches, so the map won't be totally overlapped by hundreds of circles. I don't like that for sure.

But doesn't the circle obscure the same area?

I think a better answer might be the first one from niraD, where only a single entity, the circle, has to be transmitted and rendered instead of 100. That performance factor might be a reason.

Please explain. I thought that was the point; to say "In this area there are ___ caches. Get closer and you can see them individually."

I used the city where I live now as an example, even if it is far from a high density area in caches.

You can see the areas in yellow, that overlap the map more than the circles on the right map... even less magnified.

15mkbhs.jpg

The numbered circles are the same size... even if they replace 3, 5 or 8 caches.

So there are no reason to overlap more than a group of green circles for each cache.

With over 10 caches the circle just increases a little bit its size, and so on for 20, 30, etc.

But, this is not a race, I just gave a good reason for clustering... even not the best, probably. ;)

Edited by RuideAlmeida

Please explain. I thought that was the point; to say "In this area there are ___ caches. Get closer and you can see them individually."

I used the city where I live now as an example, even if it is far from a high density area in caches.

You can see the areas in yellow, that overlap the map more than the circles on the right map... even less magnified.

<...>

The numbered circles are the same size... even if they replace 3, 5 or 8 caches.

So there are no reason to overlap more than a group of green circles for each cache.

With over 10 caches the circle just increases a little bit its size, and so on for 20, 30, etc.

But, this is not a race, I just gave a good reason for clustering... even not the best, probably. ;)

Interesting, thanks.