waymark changes

If you visit a waymark and it is not there and you are certain you are in the right spot do you post it and remark that it isn't anymore?

If you have a waymark that disappears do you archive it? Do you just add 'former'? Does it still count or do you lose it in your stats?

Is the behavior consistent across categories? (Even if the category states current only).

Since there is the possibility of retro-visits even after many years, there is a general agreement in the active Waymarking community to not archive waymarks that are gone, but to flag that somehow in the title and make a clear note about it in the description.

Of course, there are officers with a different opinion. But technically, they have little possibilities to do anything against it. A visit log on a gone waymark counts in the stats, officers are not informed of visits and they cannot archive waymarks. All they can do is to delete a visit log if they happen to find one they don't like by chance. And this is in my opinion another good reason to go with the main stream.

From a visitor's point of view, it is best practice to log the visit and write a note about the removal of the object. When you are absolutely sure it has gone and it's not a DNF, of course.

And visits to archived waymarks stay counted in the stats.

Sometimes a waymark which was once accepted in a waymark category is later unaccepted by category officers. The waymarker than loses credit for a visit or post in that category and the box in the grid can return to empty. I speak from experience.

If you visit a waymark and it is not there and you are certain you are in the right spot do you post it and remark that it isn't anymore?

If you have a waymark that disappears do you archive it? Do you just add 'former'? Does it still count or do you lose it in your stats?

Is the behavior consistent across categories? (Even if the category states current only).

It's your Waymark. One way is to add LEGACY - Waymark name

I wouldn't suggest Former, as some categories WILL accept Waymarks that have changed, from what they used to be.

eg Methodist Churches will accept Former Methodist Church, that is now converted to something else, such as a private residence. (Or even changed to another relegious group!)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I've seen the LEGACY - prefix on the Title mentioned before. My mentor in Waymarking (now deceased) mentioned that we should simply change the Title to append - GONE or - MOVED as the case may be. In most cases it will still match stringent naming requirements for just about any category (except Fire Houses) when appended. Though I think group officers would be understanding if you use the prefix, causing the name to no longer comply.

I've seen the LEGACY - prefix on the Title mentioned before. My mentor in Waymarking (now deceased) mentioned that we should simply change the Title to append - GONE or - MOVED as the case may be. In most cases it will still match stringent naming requirements for just about any category (except Fire Houses) when appended. Though I think group officers would be understanding if you use the prefix, causing the name to no longer comply.

When you write append, do you mean it in the sense of prepending, or adding to the front? It would be most noticeable there. To Append is generally taken to mean "to add to the end".

When you write append, do you mean it in the sense of prepending, or adding to the front? It would be most noticeable there. To Append is generally taken to mean "to add to the end".

Append always means to the rear. I was told to do it that way:

Whatchamacallit - SuchAndSo City, ST USA - GONE

because then the name - in general - would still adhere to the usual Something - City, State Country; whereas prepending something would kinda be in violation of most of the naming conventions.

Either way it's pretty noticeable if you use all caps. (Unfortunately, one of our local waymarkers kinda went crazy using all caps on lots of waymarks!)

... whereas prepending something would kinda be in violation of most of the naming conventions.

Either way it's pretty noticeable if you use all caps.

OK, I see your point - makes sense.

This also reminds me, I think we have a church which has since burned down and we may not have appended the necessary GONE to its title. Gotta go check that...

I just add (GONE) or (DESTROYED) in the title and mention what happened in the short and long descriptions. Keeping them active gives people some memories via photographs to remember places as they once were. I've had two buildings, a bridge, a bridge plaque and a benchmark get destroyed in my hometown. Waymarking isn't permanent but photos help keep their memories alive.

I just add (GONE) or (DESTROYED) in the title and mention what happened in the short and long descriptions. Keeping them active gives people some memories via photographs to remember places as they once were. I've had two buildings, a bridge, a bridge plaque and a benchmark get destroyed in my hometown. Waymarking isn't permanent but photos help keep their memories alive.

This is an excellent point (and a significant difference between Waymarking and Geocaching). I had seen this point made before as the main reason that we do not normally archive waymarks, but rather mark them as GONE or whatever, for posterity's sake.

I waymarked a water tower in Seligman, MO not knowing that its days were numbered. Less than 2 months later it was torn down. You can still see it in my waymark. But a current street view shows only where it had been. :(