Updated app no caches displayed

I just updated the iPhone app this morning with three latest update in the app store and now no caches are displayed on main map. If I zoom way out I see 2 or 3 random caches in there next state.

A list still displays caches within three list on the map.

Tried clearing my filter, closing and relaunching, etc. Anyone else experiencing the same behavior after downloading the latest update?

There were also no release notes posted yet regarding today's update of the iPhone app.

I just updated the iPhone app this morning with three latest update in the app store and now no caches are displayed on main map. If I zoom way out I see 2 or 3 random caches in there next state.

Tried clearing my filter, closing and relaunching, etc. Anyone else experiencing the same behavior after downloading the latest update?

There were also no release notes posted yet regarding today's update of the iPhone app.

Yep, same problem. iOS 9.3.2 on an iPad Air 2.

Same here on my iPhone 6S plus and iPad Air 2

Made the mistake of upgrading whilst having a coffee prior to doing some caching.

Does anyone actually test these upgrades before releasling them?

Hi all,

Thanks for reporting this. There was an issue with how we were requesting caches from the API when your sort was set to Geocache Name or Favorite Points. We pushed out an API update this morning that should address the issue.

--Casey

I'm still seeing the same behavior - almost no caches displayed on the map. With it being an API update, you didn't specify on the call/client end on the server side. If on the server side, I'd expect the updated app to start working but that doesn't seem to be the case. Can you be a little more specific? I'd expect the team to be able to say "We pushed out an API update this morning that should take effect immediately. I've tested the app store version with the site and all is working".

Hi all,

Thanks for reporting this. There was an issue with how we were requesting caches from the API when your sort was set to Geocache Name or Favorite Points. We pushed out an API update this morning that should address the issue.

--Casey

Edited by Team DEMP

You might need to force the app to do a new search. A couple easy ways to do this would be to sign out and sign back in or make a change to your filter settings. Let me know if that works!

I'm still seeing the same behavior - almost no caches displayed on the map. With it being an API update, you didn't specify on the call/client end on the server side. If on the server side, I'd expect the updated app to start working but that doesn't seem to be the case. Can you be a little more specific? I'd expect the team to be able to say "We pushed out an API update this morning that should take effect immediately. I've tested the app store version with the site and all is working".

Hi all,

--Casey

No go for me at least. Re-launched the app which auto launches the map screen and shows loading the filtered caches but nothing is displayed. I then click on the filter button and change an option or 2 and hit apply with no change. Change things back and still nothing. Did a new search for a new location and no caches displayed.

So either something still isn't working for everyone or at least for me.

You might need to force the app to do a new search. A couple easy ways to do this would be to sign out and sign back in or make a change to your filter settings. Let me know if that works!

Hi all,

--Casey

Hmm, that's definitely not something we're seeing. Would you mind signing out and signing back in and letting me know what happens?

No go for me at least. Re-launched the app which auto launches the map screen and shows loading the filtered caches but nothing is displayed. I then click on the filter button and change an option or 2 and hit apply with no change. Change things back and still nothing. Did a new search for a new location and no caches displayed.

Hi all,

--Casey

Signing out and signing back in now displays caches on the main map screen.

Hmm, that's definitely not something we're seeing. Would you mind signing out and signing back in and letting me know what happens?

Hi all,

--Casey

f

Glad that worked, but it's odd that changing your filters didn't. We'll keep an eye out for more reports and try to track down why it is happening.

Thanks!

Casey

Signing out and signing back in now displays caches on the main map screen.

I tried that on my iphone by flicking the app up and relaunching it which seemed to load the geocaching app splash page before loading the map, but it still didn't load. Can't replicate now since it's working but I tried that prior to signing out.

Anyway, looks to working again. Maybe some additional test cases added to future build processes ;-)

Shutting down the app and re-launching it worked for me. I didn't need to sign out and back in again.

Both my iPad and iPhone.

Thank you

Susan

Try signing out in the app and then signing back in on the app. That worked for me after they fixed the issue on their servers.

I updated the app this morning, and like it was said on this topic i tried to shut down the app, disconnect, change the settings and nothing worked. I can't see any caches.

Didn't work for me. I needed to sign out of the app and sign back in. Quitting the app and relaunching it which displayed the geocaching.com startup splash screen didn't result in any caches being displayed on the map.

@skorpio08 did you quit the app? Double-click the home button, then swipe the app up until it disappears.

Already tried that too, didn't work either.

Didn't work for me. I needed to sign out of the app and sign back in. Quitting the app and relaunching it which displayed the geocaching.com startup splash screen didn't result in any caches being displayed on the map.

@skorpio08 did you quit the app? Double-click the home button, then swipe the app up until it disappears.

I've already done it more than once... I tried everything that i could think of. Delete and reinstall, signing in and out, changing the settings, swipe the app, turning my phone off...

And despite all of it i still can't see any caches.

Delete and reinstall?! You don't lose much, except that the welcome videos are triggered again.

We just made a small tweak to the API that might address the problem. Can you give it another shot and let me know if you are getting search results now?

Thanks!

Casey

I've already done it more than once... I tried everything that i could think of. Delete and reinstall, signing in and out, changing the settings, swipe the app, turning my phone off...

Delete and reinstall?! You don't lose much, except that the welcome videos are triggered again.

I've tried again, but still no caches are showing up...

We just made a small tweak to the API that might address the problem. Can you give it another shot and let me know if you are getting search results now?

Thanks!

Casey

Hmm...we're trying to track this down but haven't been able to see the issue here, so we're flying a bit blind at the moment. Are you able to see caches if you search far away from your current location. For example, if you search for caches in Seattle, WA?

Thanks!

Casey

Sorry for the troubles. And no, i can't see any caches anywhere. Nothing.Isee the map just fine, but no caches are showing up, even when i search for it in location.

Hmm...we're trying to track this down but haven't been able to see the issue here, so we're flying a bit blind at the moment. Are you able to see caches if you search far away from your current location. For example, if you search for caches in Seattle, WA?

Thanks!

Casey

No trouble at all, I just want to get to the bottom of it. :) What version of iOS are you currently running?

You can get the exact version number by going to your phone's settings, then General, then About. There should be a Version listed a few lines down.

Sorry for the troubles. And no, i can't see any caches anywhere. Nothing.Isee the map just fine, but no caches are showing up, even when i search for it in location.

Thanks!

Casey

I have an Iphone 5S and the iOS version is 9.3.2

No trouble at all, I just want to get to the bottom of it. :) What version of iOS are you currently running?

You can get the exact version number by going to your phone's settings, then General, then About. There should be a Version listed a few lines down.

Thanks!

Casey

I am having the same issues of no caches on my map since update. I have logged out, logged in. Completely closed app, uninstalled, re-installed and played with filters and setting with no luck! Went caching with friends this evening and I found if I searched for a cache using the GC code I could find just that one cache

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as we try to track down the issue. We're currently looking at our API logs to see if there are any hints as to what is happening. In the meantime, a few questions that might help us track this down:

* when the app launches or you change filter settings or pan the map, does the loading message appear briefly or do you never see a loading message?

* if anyone has lists or pocket queries, can you view and map those lists?

* if anyone has trackables in their inventory (viewable from the profile screen) try to log the trackables and drop it in a geocache. It should show a map to select the geocache to drop the trackables in. Does that map load geocaches?

Thanks!

Hello again,

I tentatively have some good news. I think I have reproduced the problem locally. It appears to be related to a particular combination of the phone's region, timezone, and time format settings.

Can someone who is experiencing the issue go into their phone settings under General -> Date & Time. I'm guessing that 24 hour time is turned off if you are experiencing the issue. Change 24 hour time to on and see if the app begins loading caches successfully.

If that works for you, let me know. The issue appears to be some sort of difference in the way we parse dates if you have a particular combination of language, locale, timezone, and 24 hour time settings. If this turns out to be correct, we will try to track down and fix the issue in the next release. This is strange enough behavior that it may be a bug on Apple's side, but we can probably find a way to work around it.

Thanks!

Casey

Yes!!!

I have had problems all day- but my friend who installed the app today for the first time (but also an iPhone) had no issues.

I am in the UK and have a iPhone 5s (everything is up to date) - and no caches would load. Changing the 24hr format has now resulted in the map loading with caches.

Glad that worked! And thanks to everyone who helped answer questions as we worked to track the issue down.

We've submitted a new version that fixes this issue properly. Once that is released you should be able to change your phone back to your preferred 24 hour time setting. (Should be within the next couple days subject to Apple's review backlog)

--Casey

I had updated the Geocaching app on my iphone 6S+ a couple of days ago when the update came out. As others have mentioned it broke my ability to use the app. No caches show up after loading. The only way I can see caches is if I load a bookmark list or pocket query.

I had a caching trip planned that day and this forced me to use a different app. I had recently experimented with Cachely and this forced me to switch to that app for my trip the next two days. That app worked quite well for me but I still would like to use the official geocaching.com app. I assumed that there would be another update within a day or two to fix the issue. Sure enough, there was another update yesterday (that mentioned a fix this bug) which I loaded as soon as it popped up in my itunes updates (ver.4.4.1). However, it has the same behavior as the last update. No caches show after it says it is loading caches.

I guess I will stick with using Cachely for now. Only thing the official app can do that Cachely can't is email. I do hope the official app will be fixed before I abandon it for Cachely. I like Cachely now that I am used to the interface. A lot more features than the official app. - David

P.S. Switching my phone to 24hr format had no affect on loading caches. Still no caches displayed.

Edited by drharrison

Sorry you are still having issues with caches loading. Does signing out and signing back in fix the issue?

Thanks!

Casey

I had updated the Geocaching app on my iphone 6S+ a couple of days ago when the update came out. As others have mentioned it broke my ability to use the app. No caches show up after loading. The only way I can see caches is if I load a bookmark list or pocket query.

I had a caching trip planned that day and this forced me to use a different app. I had recently experimented with Cachely and this forced me to switch to that app for my trip the next two days. That app worked quite well for me but I still would like to use the official geocaching.com app. I assumed that there would be another update within a day or two to fix the issue. Sure enough, there was another update yesterday (that mentioned a fix this bug) which I loaded as soon as it popped up in my itunes updates (ver.4.4.1). However, it has the same behavior as the last update. No caches show after it says it is loading caches.

I guess I will stick with using Cachely for now. Only thing the official app can do that Cachely can't is email. I do hope the official app will be fixed before I abandon it for Cachely. I like Cachely now that I am used to the interface. A lot more features than the official app. - David

P.S. Switching my phone to 24hr format had no affect on loading caches. Still no caches displayed.

I opened my Geocaching app this past Saturday )and just now!) and I still don't have any caches loading. My whole map is blank. I'm a Premium member so I know that's not the issue. I have version 4.4.2 which was updated on 7/13/16. Glad to find a thred to know I'm not alone!

Yep - I'm getting this too.

No caches - except if I actually know the GC number and can search for it - then it shows. Also forcing a new search - clearing filters / or running filters also do not help.

And this is particularly frustrating - because it is not an area where I run normal quueries - I may be travelling and want to do it a few 100km form home base - plus i do not expect to have to run queries to get caches visible?

This is happening in Durban area of South Africa- I had a similar problem in other parts of africa - and Germany (Munich) - seemed to work just fine in Lyon France?

I logged in using my Reviewer Account name on the app.

Interesting there are still reports yesterday and today coming in since it looked like the issues was resolved over a week ago. Is the application the most up to date as they had made some changes after the initial problem surfaced and then all reports seemed to indicate they were good to go. The final change I saw was related to ios clock setting and switching between 12 hour and 24 hour time.