How long to wait

stewmitch

I've never heard of any kind of etiquette regarding this, so to the best of my knowledge there is none. As far as the rules go, you can place the new cache as soon as the old one is archived, no waiting period needed. Just keep in mind, if it's not in the *exact* same spot as the old cache, that you'll have to take into account cache density, as well as gaining permission to place the cache there and all the other normal steps for creating a cache listing.

Thanks for that

I want to place the cache near a scheduled ancient monument but the land is owned by a company that has closed down. Making seeking permission interesting.

However the footpath outsde the monument is a public right of way. Any suggestions

Thanks for that

I want to place the cache near a scheduled ancient monument but the land is owned by a company that has closed down. Making seeking permission interesting.

However the footpath outsde the monument is a public right of way. Any suggestions

Once a cache listing is archived, the location is immediately open for a new cache to be placed there. Of course, a new cache has to go through the usual Review process.

But, it would be extremely helpful to a potential new hider to know why the previous cache was archived. Permission issues? Owner non-maintenance?

What's the GC code of the archived cache? Was it a traditional, a virtual, etc?

United Kingdom and Ireland forum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=35

Geocaching Association of Great Britain (GAGB)

http://www.gagb.org.uk/

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

As the OP is in the UK - use "MAGIC" Maps

MAGIC Maps Page

The maps will show you areas which are Scheduled Ancient Monuments, or other areas such as SSSI. In these areas you will need to show your reviewer permission from both the landowner and/or manager. This is the case regardless of any public footpath.

And as others have said, there is no need to wait.

I recently archived a cache of mine. It was a multi-cache involving a 3 mile walk. I archived it as the final location was no longer good; but the overall walk was still in a good area. A cacher contacted me and asked if I minded if they put a series of caches along what used to be the route of my multi. They didn't need to ask, but I thought it was nice; they thought that perhaps I was planning a replacement myself.

A prolific hider in my area has notifications set for when caches get archived. He often has a replacement out within a couple of days. Most of his recent hides say "There used to be a cache here but it's been archived so I'm recycling the location."

Ha! I always wondered how he did that...

A prolific hider in my area has notifications set for when caches get archived. He often has a replacement out within a couple of days. Most of his recent hides say "There used to be a cache here but it's been archived so I'm recycling the location."

So that's the only reason given for placing a cache there? So basically there was zero thought put into it...couldn't even go to the effort of coming up with an original location...

So that's the only reason given for placing a cache there? So basically there was zero thought put into it...couldn't even go to the effort of coming up with an original location...

Saying that there was a previous cache at a given location where a new cache is being put out isn't the same as saying that's the *only* reason the new cache is being put out. Presumably the CO of the recently archived cache had a reason for putting one there to begin with. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt, anyway, if I haven't taken the time to at least glance at the cache descriptions myself. It really wouldn't be right to assume anything either way without digging a little deeper - that is, reading the cache descriptions fully, visiting those caches myself to actually see the location, and/or asking the COs directly.

Thanks for that

You could make the monument a virtual stage, with the final & container a short distance away, located in a public area. You know, go to the monument, get some letters or numbers from the plaque, and then compute the coordinates of the final, which is located nearby on the public right of way. We have a number of those in my area. I have a couple like that myself. That way you are bringing them to the monument but without violating any property/permission rights.

Saying that there was a previous cache at a given location where a new cache is being put out isn't the same as saying that's the *only* reason the new cache is being put out. Presumably the CO of the recently archived cache had a reason for putting one there to begin with. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt, anyway, if I haven't taken the time to at least glance at the cache descriptions myself. It really wouldn't be right to assume anything either way without digging a little deeper - that is, reading the cache descriptions fully, visiting those caches myself to actually see the location, and/or asking the COs directly.

I didn't say that's all he wrote for a description, and it rarely is. This guy is very active and diligently maintains his hides. He is well respected in the area.