geocache causes police lockdown at Travis AFB

Here is a link to the article --

http://www.ktvu.com/news/169051221-story

You should also look at the Fairfield PD Twitter feed.

I believe this is the cache in question. Even if not, this cache should be removed so the same thing doesn't happen again, and the review guidelines, if they do not already, should be updated to prohibit placing caches near military bases, police stations, and similar sensitive locations.

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4KR8H_pizza-night

Note that I am primarily a letterboxer, but do do some geocaching. The concern in the letterboxing community is that this sort of event will give both hobbies a black eye, and no one wants that in either hobby. Even if something like this mistakenly makes it thru a review, please both the placer and subsequent finders use a bit of common sense for the sake of both hobbies.

I believe this is the cache in question. Even if not, this cache should be removed so the same thing doesn't happen again, and the review guidelines, if they do not already, should be updated to prohibit placing caches near military bases, police stations, and similar sensitive locations.

Note that I am primarily a letterboxer, but do do some geocaching. The concern in the letterboxing community is that this sort of event will give both hobbies a black eye, and no one wants that in either hobby. Even if something like this mistakenly makes it thru a review, please both the placer and subsequent finders use a bit of common sense for the sake of both hobbies.

If the guidelines prohibited placing caches near police stations, the New Mexico State Patrol wouldn't be allowed to have this cache right outside their front door: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCKY0A_nmsp-dist-2-sub-raton

If the guidelines prohibited placing caches near police stations, the New Mexico State Patrol wouldn't be allowed to have this cache right outside their front door: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCKY0A_nmsp-dist-2-sub-raton

I once found one INSIDE a policestation. It was in the waitingroom, had a camera pointed at it (well, in fact at the door)Cache container was a fake WiFi access point. It was years ago, don't know if it's still active.

So, did you really look for the geocache or just posted a DNF and your opinion on the cache page before posting here?

:laughing:

and the review guidelines, if they do not already, should be updated to prohibit placing caches near military bases, police stations, and similar sensitive locations.

I couldn't speak for other locations but such restrictions would rule out at least 50% of geocaches in the UK. Here, you can't pop out for a ten minute stroll without stumbling across a 'sensitive' location.

It should be a consideration for CO's to notify local law enforcement/military/etc when a cache is placed, hopefully a dose of common sense can be applied in most instances. In this case, I'm sure the CO in question has now had the chance to fully review their cache and reassess who they might want to notify :ph34r:

Looking at a map, it seems as if the cache was right outside a pizza hut. This whole thing seems like an overraction. It was not on the base.

I agree. It's about a half mile from the base. There are guidelines already in place.

Why a litterboxer 2000 miles away posted a DNF on the cache is a little strange to me. They could have used the post a note option. :anibad:

This whole thing seems like an overraction.

If someone finds or sees something suspicious, it should be reported and responded to accordingly. Depending on which action you think is the overreaction, I may disagree with you: I don't see a problem with how authorities reacted to this, but I do see a problem with how OP reacted to this.

If someone finds or sees something suspicious, it should be reported and responded to accordingly. Depending on which action you think is the overreaction, I may disagree with you: I don't see a problem with how authorities reacted to this, but I do see a problem with how OP reacted to this.

I agree that the OP overreacted to it. But think about it, just about EVERY cache can be considered suspicious. Should law enforcement act like this every time someone encounters a cache and doesn't know what it is?

I agree that the OP overreacted to it. But think about it, just about EVERY cache can be considered suspicious. Should law enforcement act like this every time someone encounters a cache and doesn't know what it is?

If there's any grounds to think it may be a threat, then yes.

If it was a semi-transparent lock and lock or nano or well labelled cache the reaction would no doubt have been different but looking at the photos, there is every chance that the package in question could have been an improvised device - I would say the response was balanced against the potential worst outcome, and that's the safest reaction for everyone involved.

saying that a cache hidden outside a Pizza Hut is a black eye on the game is a bit much.

IDK, being associated with Pizza Hut is pretty embarrassing :cry:

It's California, it's probably the best pizza they have.

I would love to comment on this, but I live in a country where Dominos is considered "good".

Just so the wrong cache/Cache Owner isn't unnecessarily maligned, the link to the above cache is NOT the correct one. The cache owner of the cache involved in the incident has already Archived the Listing. For the record, the cache involved was not on the Base.

Just so the wrong cache/Cache Owner isn't unnecessarily maligned, the link to the above cache is NOT the correct one. The cache owner of the cache involved in the incident has already Archived the Listing. For the record, the cache involved was not on the Base.

That makes sense. The posted cache is magnetic, and the one in the article does not look like it's magnetic. Poor Pizza Hut CO.

saying that a cache hidden outside a Pizza Hut is a black eye on the game is a bit much.

LOL - but correct and spot on !

as far as "omg onoz darez a thing over dare call da popoz!" <--- that's hilarious. every news agency out there is clamoring to find SOMETHING that they can sell a few clicks (no one buys papers now) on their website with. an 'improvised device' sounds so much scarier than "half empty spray can, in a bag, with a cigarette lighter and half a pack of marlboros"

For the record, while we do have Pizza Hut here in California (Google found one about 5 miles from my home. Who knew?), we also have much better pizza.
For the record, while we do have Pizza Hut here in California (Google found one about 5 miles from my home. Who knew?), we also have much better pizza.

Haha, good to know!

Yes they should react exactly like this. What they did was secure the area and investigate it, then found out it was not dangerous. Overreaction would be not taking the time to investigate or anything, and just blowing it up.

How would the police (or even us for that matter) know that it's a geocache without opening it? And why would they open it if they think it's a bomb? And what if it is a bomb ,ade to look like a cache? Or a bomb placed near a cache? If it's good enough to hide a cache, why isn't it a good enough place to hide a bomb?

I would love to comment on this, but I live in a country where Dominos is considered "good".

Yes they should react exactly like this. What they did was secure the area and investigate it, then found out it was not dangerous. Overreaction would be not taking the time to investigate or anything, and just blowing it up.

How would the police (or even us for that matter) know that it's a geocache without opening it?

Are you serious?

How would the police (or even us for that matter) know that it's a geocache without opening it? And why would they open it if they think it's a bomb? And what if it is a bomb ,ade to look like a cache? Or a bomb placed near a cache? If it's good enough to hide a cache, why isn't it a good enough place to hide a bomb?

wow

How would the police (or even us for that matter) know that it's a geocache without opening it?

Are you serious?

And why not? Whiles it's highly unlikely, it's still possible. They get a call about a "bomb" and look at geocaching.com to see there's a geocache there. So they leave it. Turns out there really was a bomb (the cache is in a rosebush 3 feet away), it blows up, people blame the police. What do you, in your infinite wisdom, suggest they do?

You're not a police officer, nor do you know why they make certain decisions, like these. The majority of their job is to assume the worst, and protect the public from it, until it can be ruled safe. Bombs, bank robbers, etc. It's been explained, and honestly anybody who refuse to understand why they police still have to check and ensure public safety really shouldn't be hiding geocaches.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Are you serious?

And why not? Whiles it's highly unlikely, it's still possible. They get a call about a "bomb" and look at geocaching.com to see there's a geocache there. So they leave it. Turns out there really was a bomb (the cache is in a rosebush 3 feet away), it blows up, people blame the police. What do you, in your infinite wisdom, suggest they do?

By your logic, the police should assume that every illegally parked car is a car bomb. How absurd.

You're not a police officer, nor do you know why they make certain decisions, like these.

So if you are able to know such thing as whether or not I'm a police officer, without ever meeting me, why can't you know whether or not the device is a cache or a bomb?

The majority of their job is to assume the worst, and protect the public from it, until it can be ruled safe.

More absurdity.

Bombs, bank robbers, etc. It's been explained, and honestly anybody who refuse to understand why they police still have to check and ensure public safety really shouldn't be hiding geocaches.

So don't hide them.

I fail to see how Geocaching could give Letterboxing a black eye, we have knowledgeable reviewers and a review process as opposed as planting a Letterbox anywhere without permission such as State Parks. Letterboxing gives Geocaching a black eye because their hobby has no review system. <_<

Does Letterboxing really need a review system? You would think all 10 of them could behave themselves.

I fail to see how Geocaching could give Letterboxing a black eye, we have knowledgeable reviewers and a review process as opposed as planting a Letterbox anywhere without permission such as State Parks. Letterboxing gives Geocaching a black eye because their hobby has no review system. <_<

Does Letterboxing really need a review system? You would think all 10 of them could behave themselves.

Well, you do have a point. :laughing: But really, I know how difficult it is to get permission by permit required to place a geocache on Park property, then I look on the LBNA site and see the place scattered with Litterboxes that were tossed out and left several years ago. I guess there is no what we call cache impact if no one looks for them. The only harm is those placements like the OP of this topic has pointed out, no harm until the EOD comes and blows them up in the name of public safety. Then both hobbies get banned.

Well, you do have a point. :laughing: But really, I know how difficult it is to get permission by permit required to place a geocache on Park property, then I look on the LBNA site and see the place scattered with Litterboxes that were tossed out and left several years ago. I guess there is no what we call cache impact if no one looks for them. The only harm is those placements like the OP of this topic has pointed out, no harm until the EOD comes and blows them up in the name of public safety. Then both hobbies get banned.

banning a hobby sounds a lot like a government shut down. or closing a forest.

banning a hobby sounds a lot like a government shut down. or closing a forest.

I remember when guardrail hides were banned in Virginia on VDOT maintained property.

How would the police (or even us for that matter) know that it's a geocache without opening it? And why would they open it if they think it's a bomb? And what if it is a bomb, made to look like a cache? Or a bomb placed near a cache? If it's good enough to hide a cache, why isn't it a good enough place to hide a bomb?

Here's how the scenario goes: The Law Enforcement Agency (LEA) gets a call about a "suspicious device" or "suspicious package". The description is "a pipe with a wire coming out of it" or a "box wrapped in camo tape" or something to that effect. The LEO assigned to that beat arrives to confirm whether there really is a device there. Meanwhile, the EOD team (aka the Bomb Squad) is getting called out. If there's nothing, everyone goes back to what they were doing. If there's something that's suspicious, not only do you have EOD and all their support vehicles, but you have a few more officers (including a supervisor or two) pulled off their beats to establish a perimeter, and evacuate buildings within the "blast zone". You may also have City/County/State Roads department blocking off roads and detouring traffic. EOD will show up, examine the "package" and X-Ray it to see what might be inside. They'll take a look at the films, and if there's nothing that looks like wires, blasting caps, or explosives, they'll use the robot to pick it up or open it up to see what's inside. If it *does* look suspicious, they'll either blow it in place; or remove it with the robot, put it in the bomb trailer, and transport it to a location where they'll blow it up.

The EOD guys have taken to looking on the website to see if what they're looking for might be on the cache list. I showed the EOD Sergeant the Android App, and how it works. He said that not a single one of the caches that he's come across have any external identification as a cache. He said that most of them look like pipe bombs, or other devices; coat hanger wire coming out of the cache looks like a fuse. One of the caches was a box wrapped in camo tape.

My recommendation is that everyone hiding a cache put some kind of identification on the outside that it's a cache, and not a pipe bomb. Use the official stickers, or create some of your own using the official logo. Even you creative types can paint the logo on.