IPhone vs hand held GPS

trackdayguy

I have been caching with my 4S for over a year but occasionally borrow by brother-in-law's Garmin GPS. The difference in accuracy is fairly noticeable, in that the handheld doesn't 'dance' around half as much as the iPhone does. That being said, I don't think my iPhone's 'dancing' has horrifically affected my ability to find caches. Plus, the co-ordinates you are given are only as good as the device the CO used to place the cache in the first place.

I think the main advantages for purchasing/using a handheld GPS rather than a smart phone are battery life and durability (I know I'd much rather drop the GPS than my iPhone).

Personally, I'm happy with the 4S but I'm a more casual cacher: chances are that you would benefit more than I would with a dedicated device.

Hi everybody

We have been Caching since mid May 2016, done 43 so far using my Iphone 5S. What advantage is there in purchasing a hand held GPS and what is the difference in accuracy?

waterproof and replaceable battery, when comparing other devices to specifically the iphone. if the iphone were waterproof and had a replaceable battery, (like many android devices) there would be no point in purchasing another unit. given the huge assortment of waterproof cases that include battery packs, i would just stick with the iphone and enjoy.

Hi everybody

We have been Caching since mid May 2016, done 43 so far using my Iphone 5S. What advantage is there in purchasing a hand held GPS and what is the difference in accuracy?

waterproof and replaceable battery, when comparing other devices to specifically the iphone. if the iphone were waterproof and had a replaceable battery, (like many android devices) there would be no point in purchasing another unit. given the huge assortment of waterproof cases that include battery packs, i would just stick with the iphone and enjoy.

Thanks that what I thought. We carry a portable rapid charger.

Edited by evotell

I have been caching with my 4S for over a year but occasionally borrow by brother-in-law's Garmin GPS. The difference in accuracy is fairly noticeable, in that the handheld doesn't 'dance' around half as much as the iPhone does. That being said, I don't think my iPhone's 'dancing' has horrifically affected my ability to find caches.

Curious, what GPSr did you compare the 4s with?

Comparing the 4s to "brother-in-law's Garmin GPS" really isn't one. :)

Was your comparison done in/around town, or into the woods?

The other 2/3rds noticed huge differences just between the 4s, 5s, and now her 6s.

For us, comparing her updated 6s, to our long-discontinued Garmin 60csx...

In/around town, there is no difference. Both stayed within feet of each other.

Our biggest difference (other than durability and battery life) is river gorges/mountains/heavy canopy woods, with a high iron ore content, where the terrain remains 2.5 +.

Sometimes she's off, or loses sat just by a slight rock overhang, or too close to a boulder field.

Catches back up again soon, back on track, but just doesn't seem reliable (to us).

Those areas, the GPSr (for us) wins, and it's mostly where I cache.

I believe it might have to do with a unit built to do one thing, versus a unit trying to do a few things. :)

I have an iPhone 6 with the official geocaching app and it works brilliantly. I have found it to be very accurate and does everything I need including an accurate map.

I also have a Garmin etrex10 gps - bought 3 months ago for £66. - all I can afford!

iPhone advantages - very accurate - good maps - every feature I need - can hunt for nearby caches instantly wherever I am without having to pre-plan or download - can log there and then.

iPhone disadvantages - the 'find nearby geocaches' feature only works if there is a mobile signal. where I live there are quite a few mobile dead spots. - the app uses a lot of power so the the phone battery is flat within a couple of hours.

GPS advantages - accurate - batteries last a long time and can be replaced quickly while on the job - doesn't need a mobile signal

GPS disadvantages - There is no 'find nearby geocaches' feature so all geocaching has to be planned in advance and downloaded on to the device - there are no maps, only an arrow which shows the distance 'as the crow flies', so without studying the area in advance to see where the caches are there is no way of knowing how to get to them - e.g. finding the correct road or path.

Therefore I tend to use both. I often download caches on to the gps, then use my phone when I am there to see the actual way to the cache. and also use my gps if I know I am going to be in a mobile dead zone - but I will usually print off a map to help

Also I obviously use my phone when I am out and about just to see if there are any nearby that I haven't pre-planned - and I always take my car charger so I can charge between caches if driving

Edited by Lellynelly