leaving TBs

what's a proxy?

Proxy - a figure that can be used to represent the value of something, a substitute.

Often seen as plastic, or laminated disks or squares, representing the coin, so the valuable piece can stay safe at home.

Usually a pic of the original is on the Trackable's page. :)

Guess you haven't found one yet.

Edited by cerberus1

mine do appear to be laminated plastic. they are called poker chip geocoins. Do they really get nicked with such regularity? I took one I found to Scotland recently that had travelled across Europe and even to America

You know, I've yet to find a poker chip trackable. :D

A standard geocoin ... that heavy, polished hunka metal, usually doesn't stand a chance with the weekend-n-done free app kids.

I believe it has something to do with actually finding treasure in this, "real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game".

Perhaps I will change so e of my caches with TBs to Premium only. At least I know they'll only get found by genuine cachers then

:laughing:

Don't know why, but there's a lot more than you that believe that. :D

A quick glance at start dates and premium members of the most basic questions posted here in the forums should show most that that just isn't the case any longer.

- What about the other 99%. :lol:

Perhaps I will change so e of my caches with TBs to Premium only. At least I know they'll only get found by genuine cachers then

You can certainly "ask" them to place it only in PMO caches, but my best advice is to still be ready to get disappointed.

P.S. I received a few less-than-friendly messages from cachers who dislike proxies I'd released only after the original had been stolen.

A quick glance at start dates and premium members of the most basic questions posted here in the forums should show most that that just isn't the case any longer.

- What about the other 99%. :lol:

Dido that.

Any benefit to caches being PMO is bogus IMHO....

*rant deleted*

I'm getting REALLY REALLY disheartened by all this "PMO only" attitude. To the point I nearly want to give up on the game entirely some days..........

PMO caches are better.

Better how?

Based on what?

A TB picked up by a PM has NEVER gone missing?

I don't believe it.

It may be your personal opinion but it has no basis in truth.

I'm not entering into a debate with you. I stated my experience that PMO caches are better. :)

So yes, it is truth. It's just rude of you to suggest that I was lying. :huh:

A TB placed in a PMO cache will, in theory, be moved by that premium member someplace. No guarantee that it goes to another PMO which removes whatever protection that might provide. And that's assuming that premium members never are responsible for one disappearing. Placing them in only out of the way caches may reduce the chances of muggling but it also reduces the movement of the TB which is the purpose of a TB.

One would think that a game designed around this would attract players who would have an interest in following the design. Obviously, one would be wrong. If you leave your wallet on a seat in McDonald's you are not one bit surprised that it disappeared never to be seen again. If you leave it on a church pew you would probably expect it to be returned intact but a relative's friend found out that isn't to be relied upon either.

Once you turn a TB loose it is not safe no matter where it gets dropped. It relies on the kindness of strangers and in this world the reliability of even friends seems to be dwindling.

All I requested was you provide some evidence to back up your opinion.

You have an opinion based on your personal experience

I have my opinion based on my personal experience.

They clearly differ, so why is your opinion the "truth" and my opinion is null and void?

Why should you be offended? If you have no proof it remains your opinion only. All I'm saying is if you don't have the evidence to show then just call it what it is, your opinion/your experience. I'm tired of people saying their opinion is the one and only (and their version is the 'truth') and everyone else opinion or experience is moot. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but thats all it is, your opinion.

They clearly differ, so why is your opinion the "truth" and my opinion is null and void?

Why should you be offended? If you have no proof it remains your opinion only. All I'm saying is if you don't have the evidence to show then just call it what it is, your opinion/your experience. I'm tired of people saying their opinion is the one and only (and their version is the 'truth') and everyone else opinion or experience is moot. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but thats all it is, your opinion.

Have you ever found a PMO cache in the less than a year that you have been geocaching?

Truth, premium members pay to support this site so basic members can play for free. I only offer my listings to paying members, and I only place trackables in PMO caches.

Have a nice Independence day. :)

Have you ever found a PMO cache in the less than a year that you have been geocaching?

Truth, premium members pay to support this site so basic members can play for free. I only offer my listings to paying members, and I only place trackables in PMO caches.

Guess I don't understand. Aren't you currently a basic member? :)

Guess I don't understand. Aren't you currently a basic member? :)

Yes, my membership expired a couple of weeks ago. All of my listings are still PMO. What's wrong with me being a free-loader for a few weeks? :laughing: I'm still supporting geocaching by offering over one hundred active listings. :)

I'll get a free TB when I renew my membership too. :ph34r: I've been playing this game long enough to learn a few TOTT. :D

Perhaps I will change [all] of my caches with TBs to Premium only. At least I know they'll only get found by genuine cachers then

Of course, that only works for the first pick up of your trackable. After that they travel like any other trackable to PMO and non-PMO caches.