Using Chromebook to convert .gpx to .gs files and send to Magellan Explorist

GeoDad6

So I have been a casual geocacher for quite sometime, and as busy as life gets, I don't get out as much as I would like. I started out with, and still use a Magellan Explorist 210, and have to say it is great for geocaching. However Magellan's support, and let's be honest, constant failures for windows software programs to manage waypoints, tracks, and geocaches; has been very disappointing. I am also a Chromebook user and have to say I LOVE my Chromebook. It is WAY faster than my most recent windows 8 now 10 Toshiba Laptop. The big task I decided to tackle recently, was to find a way to take .gpx files from geocaching.com, and convert them to .gs files which appears to be Magellan specific. The Explorist 210 can not import .gpx or even .loc files, only .gs.

Well for those people out there using older Magellan GPSRs that also have Chromebooks, I have figured it out and am posting how to do it below.

If you need help, just hit me up. Glad to help and give back.

How to download geocaches in [.gpx] format, and convert online with Chromebook, eventually transferring to Magellan Explorist 210 via USB from Chromebook.

1. Run pocket query (PQ)

2. Download PQ to Pocket Queries folder

3. Go to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/

4. Type of GPS data you want to convert: [Waypoints{W}]

5. Input File Format: [GPX XML {W}{T}{R}]

6. Output file format: [Magellan Explorist Geocaching {W}]

7. Upload your GPS file here [Choose File] or provide URL of file on the web.

8. Put the converted file into a .zip archive: [yes/no]... I chose no

9. Try to output ALL types of data (W,T,R): [yes/no]... I chose no

10. One converted a new page will open up and you should see a link for file_name.gs which you should be able to clocik and download to your Chromebook.

11. Connect your Magellan Explorist GPS via USB cable to the Chromebook and turn on the Explorist.

12. Chrome should recognize a [Removable Device Detected]

13. transfer the file_name.gs from Chromebook to the Geocaches folder on Explorist

Enjoy, Keep on Caching.

GeoDad6

So I have been a casual geocacher for quite sometime, and as busy as life gets, I don't get out as much as I would like. I started out with, and still use a Magellan Explorist 210, and have to say it is great for geocaching. However Magellan's support, and let's be honest, constant failures for windows software programs to manage waypoints, tracks, and geocaches; has been very disappointing. I am also a Chromebook user and have to say I LOVE my Chromebook. It is WAY faster than my most recent windows 8 now 10 Toshiba Laptop. The big task I decided to tackle recently, was to find a way to take .gpx files from geocaching.com, and convert them to .gs files which appears to be Magellan specific. The Explorist 210 can not import .gpx or even .loc files, only .gs.

Well for those people out there using older Magellan GPSRs that also have Chromebooks, I have figured it out and am posting how to do it below.

How to download geocaches in [.gpx] format, and convert online with Chromebook, eventually transferring to Magellan Explorist 210 via USB from Chromebook.

1. Run pocket query (PQ)

10. One converted a new page will open up and you should see a link for file_name.gs which you should be able to clocik and download to your Chromebook.

11. Connect your Magellan Explorist GPS via USB cable to the Chromebook and turn on the Explorist.

13. transfer the file_name.gs from Chromebook to the Geocaches folder on Explorist

Enjoy, Keep on Caching.

GeoDad6

does the chrome book do normal Bluetooth and wifi direct transfers ? my kids have shown interest, but we're hesitant so far

1. Run pocket query (PQ)

Enjoy, Keep on Caching.

GeoDad6

does the chrome book do normal Bluetooth and wifi direct transfers ? my kids have shown interest, but we're hesitant so far

My chromebook does have wifi and bluetooth, but my Magellan is as old as Windows XP, so I have to transfer my geocaches through USB cable, using the 'Files' app for chrome.