GC with Kids

auzzy_mate

I normally use my iPhone 6 Plus for my adventures but I have just been given the choice between two older GPS devices that I can have from work (for free).

I have primarily been caching in urban areas (Sydney / Wollongong / Canberra) where I can use my smart-phone (with their power issues) without too much trouble, but I have just started cache-ing with my teenage kids and figure they need something simple to give them to use to find caches (does not need to log or see images really, just upload a GPX / LOC / etc and off they go).

I have a choice between a Garmin Foretrex 401 and a Magellan eXplorist GC.

Thoughts?

Ben

auzzy_mate

I'm a Garmin person myself. I have a friend who bought a Magellan. Not sure which one. He had it for a week and didn't like it so went out and bought a Garmin eTrex. Was much happier with it. Can you take both and try them out, returning the one you don't wish to keep?

I would say get the Magellan. Simply because it's made for geocaching. No there's no messing around downtown loading the right maps or whatever. It's a decently simple unit. Of course if you don't like it, or you want to upgrade in the future, you can.

Might be a better idea getting them a cheap android phone (sub 100) and installing cgeo. No need for any data, just load pocket queries or gpx files at home and then use the phone like a gps (you don't need a sim card)

I'd still say take the free gps. If they don't like it, it was free, so no loss.