Garmin Introduces the Oregon 700 series

I think I know what are you lookimg for. In the "drawer" there is an icon with the magnifying glass called "where to" (translating from polish so the names might be different). You have several options there, including coordinates.

Beware that the compass and the map will lead you to that coordinates, but the upper panel compass on the map will still lead you to the near cache if you are in the geocaching mode.

I hope I described this clear enough.

Beware that the compass and the map will lead you to that coordinates, but the upper panel compass on the map will still lead you to the near cache if you are in the geocaching mode.

That's true. The Geocaching Dashboard's compass points to a Geocache, which is the nearest Geocache if you're not currently navigating to a different one. This could be confusing when navigating to a Waypoint, especially if you rely on the Geocaching Dashboard's compass.

I think I know what are you lookimg for. In the "drawer" there is an icon with the magnifying glass called "where to" (translating from polish so the names might be different). You have several options there, including coordinates.

There is no 'Geocaching Mode', but there is a Geocaching dashboard (see Function > Dashboards), and it behaves as you suggest. However, if one desired a compass at the top of the map screen pointing the way to any waypoint selected as the destination, one could enable the 'Compass' dashboard. The Compass dashboard always points toward the currently active destination, regardless if it is a waypoint, POI, geocache, etc....

...You can have plenty of different Profiles in Classic Mode. In fact the same profiles are in Classic Mode as are in Activity mode. You can either change the profiles in Setup or add the App to your drawer or Main Menu...

I just got a Oregon 700. The manual mentions "App Drawer" dozens of places, but they never say where to find the "App Drawer". I did an online search, and this was the only clue!

App Drawer = Main Menu.

Thanks!

...You can have plenty of different Profiles in Classic Mode. In fact the same profiles are in Classic Mode as are in Activity mode. You can either change the profiles in Setup or add the App to your drawer or Main Menu...

I just got a Oregon 700. The manual mentions "App Drawer" dozens of places, but they never say where to find the "App Drawer". I did an online search, and this was the only clue!

App Drawer = Main Menu.

Thanks!

This is a video of the Oregon 600, but it's fine for the purposes of answering your question. The App Drawer is the window that you can slide open from the bottom of the screen to reveal all available menu items. It is "opened" in the first 30 seconds of the video. You may place your most commonly used "Apps" in the menu, and leave the less used ones in the App Drawer.

App Drawer = Main Menu.

Thanks!

See the Oregon 6x0 wiki under: Setup > Main Menu > Drawer Navigation

Ok guys,

I've been using Garmin 750 for a month now and I think I can share some thoughts in a short review.

I switched from Oregon 650 lured with the live geocaching and online features. Enough said those were a bit disappointing but I'm not that sorry about the purchase (as long as I don't look at the my credit card histiry).

Online features

I'll start from the key new feature. The overall execution of the concept is rather rubbish. It would be OK for a very casueal geocacher who just focuses on traditional caches and refreshes them on the go. The problem is such a person wouldn't be buing a dedicated device for caching (especially with Oregon 7xx price tag). You'd see such a cacher with a smartphone and an app which gives much more features than Garmin in that scenario.

What about a more advanced user?

We still have the non-existent waypoint support for the multicaches. You have them if you upload a full pocket query, but as in 6xx series you have to look for them using their codes in one combined list (that is why I'm calling it non-existent).

If you have a solved puzzle it will be downloaded with the original coordinates. The same goes for caches with custom coordinates included in PQs and lists downloaded directly to the device (using the lists feature). You get the starting coordinates. Besides that, the PQ/List download itself is extremely slow. The unit first downloads an index of caches and then the rest of the details. Even if you don't have a PC nearby, downloading the PQ files to a mobile phone and then transfering them to the unit via USB Host will be much faster and you'll have the custom coordinates for your puzzles, letterboxex or multis you have collected all the data but didn't have the opportunity to pick up.

And the last but not least: you can send the logs (e.g. found it) directly to the server but there is no setting to send them as field notes (drafts). This made me turn off this feature completely.

The only real life scenarios I used the online feature were:

- I loaded a PQ with all the caches in the area excluding puzzles and another PQ with solved mysteries. I do it to be sure that every question mark I can see on the map is a cache I have the right coordinates for. The strategy is great untill you go for a series with a bonus cache (which is a mystery of course). In such a situation I can download such a cache to have all visits in one place/file.

- I made a PQ which excluded disabled caches. While caching in that area I learned that there were some caches which were either enabled or the disabled ones were actually available. Refreshing the map let me look for said caches.

- I wen't to an event. I had a PQ of the area prepared the day before, but when I arrived I learned that new caches have been published (what a surprise ;) ). Few clicks and there are on my device.

I think that the 3 above examples show what the online feature can be used for: EMERGENCIES.

Wireless features.

When I bought the unit I stille had a Windows Mobile 10 phone. The only thing that really worhed was WiFi tethering. I was able to connect the unit via BT but that didn't do anything apart showing that the unit is connected.

I switched to an Android phone last week, and now it works nicely. The notifications show on the device, you can read SMS and email (havent tested all the scenarios with the later). It's a shame there is no possibility to reply to text messages from the init but it's a very low prio wish. The coolest thing is tethering via bluetooth without setting the phone in BT hotspot mode (so the unit is just connected via BT and is able to use the Internet connection from the phone). I'm sure it saves alot of battery on both devices.

Precision

Haven't done any real comparison tests as this almost can't be done by a non-expert. What I noticed though is they seem to have minimized that annoying effect known from Oregon 650 where if you are walking towards the cache, the unit somehow compensates for your movement. The effect almost always was that near the cache I had to stop, wait for few seconds for my position to update, and then go few steps back to allign with my new position and the cache location. For now I can't see this effect on the 750.

What I did notice is that in some areas the electronic compass tends to go crazy and I'm not able to calibrate it. In one place in Prague it was almost spinning like a fan. I'll observe this a little more and compare with my friends' garmin when we go caching together. If their's will be fine and mine not (in the same spot), I can see a warranty claim coming.

It came out a little longer than I planned but I hope it helps at least one person who was able to not get pored and read till the end :).

Ok guys,

I've been using Garmin 750 for a month now and I think I can share some thoughts in a short review.

I switched from Oregon 650 lured with the live geocaching and online features. Enough said those were a bit disappointing but I'm not that sorry about the purchase (as long as I don't look at the my credit card histiry).

Online features

I'll start from the key new feature. The overall execution of the concept is rather rubbish. It would be OK for a very casueal geocacher who just focuses on traditional caches and refreshes them on the go. The problem is such a person wouldn't be buing a dedicated device for caching (especially with Oregon 7xx price tag). You'd see such a cacher with a smartphone and an app which gives much more features than Garmin in that scenario.

What about a more advanced user?

We still have the non-existent waypoint support for the multicaches. You have them if you upload a full pocket query, but as in 6xx series you have to look for them using their codes in one combined list (that is why I'm calling it non-existent).

If you have a solved puzzle it will be downloaded with the original coordinates. The same goes for caches with custom coordinates included in PQs and lists downloaded directly to the device (using the lists feature). You get the starting coordinates. Besides that, the PQ/List download itself is extremely slow. The unit first downloads an index of caches and then the rest of the details. Even if you don't have a PC nearby, downloading the PQ files to a mobile phone and then transfering them to the unit via USB Host will be much faster and you'll have the custom coordinates for your puzzles, letterboxex or multis you have collected all the data but didn't have the opportunity to pick up.

And the last but not least: you can send the logs (e.g. found it) directly to the server but there is no setting to send them as field notes (drafts). This made me turn off this feature completely.

The only real life scenarios I used the online feature were:

- I loaded a PQ with all the caches in the area excluding puzzles and another PQ with solved mysteries. I do it to be sure that every question mark I can see on the map is a cache I have the right coordinates for. The strategy is great untill you go for a series with a bonus cache (which is a mystery of course). In such a situation I can download such a cache to have all visits in one place/file.

- I made a PQ which excluded disabled caches. While caching in that area I learned that there were some caches which were either enabled or the disabled ones were actually available. Refreshing the map let me look for said caches.

- I wen't to an event. I had a PQ of the area prepared the day before, but when I arrived I learned that new caches have been published (what a surprise ;) ). Few clicks and there are on my device.

I think that the 3 above examples show what the online feature can be used for: EMERGENCIES.

Wireless features.

When I bought the unit I stille had a Windows Mobile 10 phone. The only thing that really worhed was WiFi tethering. I was able to connect the unit via BT but that didn't do anything apart showing that the unit is connected.

I switched to an Android phone last week, and now it works nicely. The notifications show on the device, you can read SMS and email (havent tested all the scenarios with the later). It's a shame there is no possibility to reply to text messages from the init but it's a very low prio wish. The coolest thing is tethering via bluetooth without setting the phone in BT hotspot mode (so the unit is just connected via BT and is able to use the Internet connection from the phone). I'm sure it saves alot of battery on both devices.

Precision

Haven't done any real comparison tests as this almost can't be done by a non-expert. What I noticed though is they seem to have minimized that annoying effect known from Oregon 650 where if you are walking towards the cache, the unit somehow compensates for your movement. The effect almost always was that near the cache I had to stop, wait for few seconds for my position to update, and then go few steps back to allign with my new position and the cache location. For now I can't see this effect on the 750.

What I did notice is that in some areas the electronic compass tends to go crazy and I'm not able to calibrate it. In one place in Prague it was almost spinning like a fan. I'll observe this a little more and compare with my friends' garmin when we go caching together. If their's will be fine and mine not (in the same spot), I can see a warranty claim coming.

It came out a little longer than I planned but I hope it helps at least one person who was able to not get pored and read till the end :).

Thank you for the excellent review!

As stated, the unit still has some shortcomings, but it is far more enjoyable to use than even the predecessor 6x0 series. I'm still hoping Garmin is not finished adding/improving the firmware for this unit... As far as multi-cache waypoints are concerned, I find this so frustrating, because the MONTERRA actually does this function perfectly! WHY oh WHY can Garmin not add this feature to these newer units? I dunno....

I just tried to register my Oregon 700 with geocaching.com, but I get a "registration failed" message. I have WiFi enabled, and I am 2 feet from the router. What else could be the problem? Do I have to be a Premium member to register a device?

I just tried to register my Oregon 700 with geocaching.com, but I get a "registration failed" message. I have WiFi enabled, and I am 2 feet from the router. What else could be the problem? Do I have to be a Premium member to register a device?

I upgraded to Premium, but still can't register my 700 with geocaching.com

I upgraded to Premium, but still can't register my 700 with geocaching.com

Can you give any more details? Do you get a code on your Oregon 7x0 and enter it at a specified web address?

Can you give any more details? Do you get a code on your Oregon 7x0 and enter it at a specified web address?

Yes, I got a code, and hit confirm. Here are the instructions from Garmin:

Registering your device with Geocaching.com

1 Connect to a wireless network

2 From the app drawer, select Setup>Geocaching>Register Device.

3 Follow on-screen instructions.

4 Select Confirm Registration.

After a few moments, I get "Registration Failed. It never asked for an address, but as you can see, it claims to be registering with geocaching.com

I wonder if the page Garmin is using is now 404? I have followed some links on geocaching.com that end up 404 (page not found).

Yes, I got a code, and hit confirm. Here are the instructions from Garmin:

Registering your device with Geocaching.com

1 Connect to a wireless network

2 From the app drawer, select Setup>Geocaching>Register Device.

3 Follow on-screen instructions.

4 Select Confirm Registration.

After a few moments, I get "Registration Failed. It never asked for an address, but as you can see, it claims to be registering with geocaching.com

I wonder if the page Garmin is using is now 404? I have followed some links on geocaching.com that end up 404 (page not found).

Just give a day or two, probably a Groundspeak issue....

Also, try a different internet connection

Have you updated to the latest firmware?

Yes, he is on 3.20

Edited by Atlas Cached

Well, I tried it again last night, still no luck. Is it safe to assume that it works for you? I sent an email to geocaching.com, and they said they don't know anything about Oregan 700s,. and suggested I try the forums :rolleyes:

Well, I tried it again last night, still no luck. Is it safe to assume that it works for you? I sent an email to geocaching.com, and they said they don't know anything about Oregan 700s,. and suggested I try the forums :rolleyes:

Try Setup > Reset > Reset All Settings on the Oregon 7x0, then try again.

I sent an email to geocaching.com, and they said they don't know anything about Oregan 700s,. and suggested I try the forums :rolleyes:

This is true. They have done nothing special for these units. They use the normal API connection like many other programs. The problem is on Garmin's end. Talk to them.

Well I reset it, and it cleared up some other problems I was having. I will try registering again at home tonight. I don't have WiFi access at work.

Well I reset it, and it cleared up some other problems I was having. I will try registering again at home tonight. I don't have WiFi access at work.

It is frequently advised to do this reset (does not delete any user data) after firmware updates, but it does mean you will have to reconfigure some settings back the way you like them, so I avoid it unless I am having trouble I can not resolve with any other method.

It is frequently advised to do this reset (does not delete any user data) after firmware updates, but it does mean you will have to reconfigure some settings back the way you like them, so I avoid it unless I am having trouble I can not resolve with any other method.

Well, it didn't help. so I will just use paper :-)

Or you can load geocaches the old-fashioned way - directly via pocket query GPX files.

I can send caches to the 700, but not the comments, or the logs.

You are a premium member, and as such, your PQ GPX files will contain all that information.

How are you sending geocaches to your Oregon?

Do you have an sd card in it? My friends lately showed me that an error on that side can have a large variety of strange (almost magical) issues...

Yes, I have an SD card. I will try again with it out.

I have a couple more questions.

1. How do I mark a new waypoint? The manual mentions clicking on the map, but what if I place a cache, and want the GPS numbers for it?

2. How do I delete Caches that I have located, and don't need in the GPS anymore?

Do you have an sd card in it? My friends lately showed me that an error on that side can have a large variety of strange (almost magical) issues...

1. How do I mark a new waypoint? The manual mentions clicking on the map, but what if I place a cache, and want the GPS numbers for it?

See Applications > Mark Waypoint here.

Or, if you just want to write them down, use Applications > Satellite to see your current position.

Edited by Atlas Cached

2. How do I delete Caches that I have located, and don't need in the GPS anymore?

I tried it with the SD card out, but still no luck.

Or you can load geocaches the old-fashioned way - directly via pocket query GPX files.

I can send caches to the 700, but not the comments, or the logs.

Please provide precise details on how you are trying to put the caches on the GPS.

I found the answer to my own question. Connect the GPS by a cable to a USB port. It comes up like a memory stick. Choose Oregon 700/Garmin/GPX. You will see the cache codes with dates, and can delete the ones you no longer need.

I found the answer to my own question. Connect the GPS by a cable to a USB port. It comes up like a memory stick. Choose Oregon 700/Garmin/GPX. You will see the cache codes with dates, and can delete the ones you no longer need.

It's a good idea to periodically clean out found caches that you no longer need. But in reality, the Oregon 700 can hold an unlimited number of caches, so you can also just turn on a filter that shows only unfound caches and hides your finds.

Hello

I'm a new user of an Oregon 700 and after three days of usage, I'm really happy with it.

I'm using it in Activity mode, and there's something annoying with the "Record activity" drawer coming from the bottom of the screen. Every 10 seconds, the drawer opens automatically and I need to manually close it (see the picture in french).

I don't have this problem if I start the recording by pressing "Start" ("Démarrer" in my case), but I don't wan't to record my geocaching tracks...

Do you know how I could close it definitively ?

Thank you

28829400_10212652997814651_281819364_n.jpg

5 hours ago, smy said:

Ok, I'll record, but I find that a little bit strange...

So it closes if you use it, and opens if you don't. I'd be annoyed to have to routinely close a popup “drawer” by clicking "Start". I'm annoyed by that already, and I don't even have a '700. :cute:

On 3/7/2018 at 5:53 AM, smy said:

Hello

I'm a new user of an Oregon 700 and after three days of usage, I'm really happy with it.

I'm using it in Activity mode, and there's something annoying with the "Record activity" drawer coming from the bottom of the screen. Every 10 seconds, the drawer opens automatically and I need to manually close it (see the picture in french).

I don't have this problem if I start the recording by pressing "Start" ("Démarrer" in my case), but I don't wan't to record my geocaching tracks...

Do you know how I could close it definitively ?

Thank you

28829400_10212652997814651_281819364_n.jpg

Strange behavior indeed! This is not how my 7x0 behaves, I wonder why yours is? What firmware version are you running?

21 hours ago, kunarion said:

So it closes if you use it, and opens if you don't. I'd be annoyed to have to routinely close a popup “drawer” by clicking "Start". I'm annoyed by that already, and I don't even have a '700. :cute:

If I press start, it closes and stay closed. But if I manually close it by sliding it down without pressing start, it reopens after ~ 10 seconds

9 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Strange behavior indeed! This is not how my 7x0 behaves, I wonder why yours is? What firmware version are you running?

Version 4.00. I have the same behavior after a full reset.

On 3/10/2018 at 3:40 AM, smy said:

If I press start, it closes and stay closed. But if I manually close it by sliding it down without pressing start, it reopens after ~ 10 seconds

Version 4.00. I have the same behavior after a full reset.

Jumping in here. I am having this same problem. Mine just started this weekend.  This pops up about every 10 seconds.

IMG_8629.jpg

Lock your display. It's your cloth, your pocket content or just your belly that is hitting the small line (seen on top of the drawer or at the bottom of the display) which opens this drawer.
The hamburger menu (bottom right in the drawer) might give you settings for this drawer.

Hans

Edited by HHL
18 minutes ago, HHL said:

Lock your display. It's your cloth, your pocket content or just your belly that is hitting the small line (seen on top of the drawer or at the bottom of the display) which opens this drawer.
The hamburger menu (bottom right in the drawer) might give you settings for this drawer.

Hans

No, it's sitting on the table, or sitting on the dashboard - nothing is bumping it. Nothing is touching it.