Garmin Introduces the Oregon 700 series

Sorry this is for Mineral2

I'm new to the forums and didn't know about replying. Sorry.

Yeah thanks. I've seen some debate over the size recognised by units and also that the class relates only to write speed and, as such, is a moot point.

I'm gonna plump with a Sandisk 32Gb class 10 as it gives me options for other peripherals.

Thanks again for your reply. Another quick question... do I need to format the SD? I see people talking about FAT32 and the like...?

G McC

Edited by GeoMcCacheface

AndyT1,

Regarding

If you load two different GPX files (I still use GSAK), say one for all of the caches in your local area and another with only caches that you need to complete a challenge (Matrix etc) can you select just one of the GPX files ?

Yes you can. You can select/deselect the gpx files you want to be active/inactive on the device via the filter screen.

! Sweet! long time user of Garmin gps, never realized my 750 had this feature. Thanks!

I've been given an Oregon 750 as a late Christmas present. I finally managed to suss it out but one bug bear is that the cache symbols on the map are so small they are virtually impossible to see. Is there any way I can make them bigger so that I can actually see them?

AndyT1,

Regarding

If you load two different GPX files (I still use GSAK), say one for all of the caches in your local area and another with only caches that you need to complete a challenge (Matrix etc) can you select just one of the GPX files ?

Yes you can. You can select/deselect the gpx files you want to be active/inactive on the device via the filter screen.

That's probably one of the nicest new features I've seen to date. I end up using c:geo and have the specific caches in separate lists to do this, it would be nice to have on the GPSr.

Hiya! I read every single post on this thread (okay I skimmed a couple) as I was putting the Oregon 700 into my digital shopping cart. I'm replacing a DeLorme PN60, so definitely an upgrade. Soooo...is my summary correct:

I can use the new Garmin Oregon 7xx the exact same way as I would have my DeLorme, by connecting the USB to my computer and downloading any/all of my PQs, and off I go. All relevant information, such as D/T, description, and hint are contained therein and are accessible.

In addition, I can cache "on the fly" with Geocaching Live, and so long as I have reliable data connection through my phone with Bluetooth, can download all pertinent cache information. If I don't have data service on the trail but after the initial area search/PQ download, I can still navigate to the cache, but with no description, hint, etc.

Sound about right?

Any changes in functionality since the last firmware update? Anyone change their mind on this product after using it for six months? I saw that the top reviews on my shopping site of choice all complained that the Live function does not work at all, but the forum posts here indicate that it's all fixed and working as advertised (limited, but does what it says). I'm sure I'll be back (or reading the Wiki) to figure it out this weekend!

Thanks for all of your info! It made all the difference in making a decision. My other choice was a GPSMAP 64s, but I thought I'd enjoy the touchscreen, better graphics, etc. And I do often find myself deciding to cache when I have nothing loaded on my DeLorme (or don't have the DeLorme with me). Whenever I try using my phone, it seems to get stuck at "36 feet away" every time. So...limited though the Live function might be, seems like the best of both worlds!

Hiya! I read every single post on this thread (okay I skimmed a couple) as I was putting the Oregon 700 into my digital shopping cart. I'm replacing a DeLorme PN60, so definitely an upgrade. Soooo...is my summary correct:

I can use the new Garmin Oregon 7xx the exact same way as I would have my DeLorme, by connecting the USB to my computer and downloading any/all of my PQs, and off I go. All relevant information, such as D/T, description, and hint are contained therein and are accessible.

In addition, I can cache "on the fly" with Geocaching Live, and so long as I have reliable data connection through my phone with Bluetooth, can download all pertinent cache information. If I don't have data service on the trail but after the initial area search/PQ download, I can still navigate to the cache, but with no description, hint, etc.

Sound about right?

Any changes in functionality since the last firmware update? Anyone change their mind on this product after using it for six months? I saw that the top reviews on my shopping site of choice all complained that the Live function does not work at all, but the forum posts here indicate that it's all fixed and working as advertised (limited, but does what it says). I'm sure I'll be back (or reading the Wiki) to figure it out this weekend!

Thanks for all of your info! It made all the difference in making a decision. My other choice was a GPSMAP 64s, but I thought I'd enjoy the touchscreen, better graphics, etc. And I do often find myself deciding to cache when I have nothing loaded on my DeLorme (or don't have the DeLorme with me). Whenever I try using my phone, it seems to get stuck at "36 feet away" every time. So...limited though the Live function might be, seems like the best of both worlds!

two settings that help a lot:

connectivity- airplane mode

location settings- device only

36 feet sounds like Google service and it wifi/cellular are enabled

Hiya! I read every single post on this thread (okay I skimmed a couple) as I was putting the Oregon 700 into my digital shopping cart. I'm replacing a DeLorme PN60, so definitely an upgrade.

Congratulations!

Soooo...is my summary correct:

Yes, but: You can download these items directly to your Oregon 700 without using the USB connection or host machine. Once you assign your Oregon 700 to your Geocaching.com account, you can download/update PQ's and list files (etc) for your account at any time so long as your Oregon 700 has an internet connection (wi-fi or cell phone via Bluetooth).

Supposedly the most recent update was improved data collection, but I have not yet tested this fully on my Oregon 7xx.

Sound about right?

The Oregon 7xx wiki is not yet available, but the majority of the 7xx functions the same as the 6xx series, and that wiki is here.

ENJOY!!!

Yes, but: You can download these items directly to your Oregon 700 without using the USB connection or host machine. Once you assign your Oregon 700 to your Geocaching.com account, you can download/update PQ's and list files (etc) for your account at any time so long as your Oregon 700 has an internet connection (wi-fi or cell phone via Bluetooth).

The Oregon 7xx wiki is not yet available, but the majority of the 7xx functions the same as the 6xx series, and that wiki is here.

ENJOY!!!

Awesome! Even better. I was under the impression that it would always download the "quick" list/PQ (without the extra cache info) over wireless or bluetooth. Wow. Cordless will be excellent.

And yes, I bookmarked the Wiki and saw that what's there should be applicable. Thank you!

It has arrived, and I'm putting a screen protector on and batteries in right now. :D

I'm having lots of trouble with my 750. When blue tooth paired with my iPhone 7+, my phone thinks I'm in Europe. I'm actually in Michigan. Also, had it on wifi and linked to my geocaching account, can't seem to download PQs. Also, when I tested it today on two local caches, accuracy was horrendous.

Edited by punisher911

I just got my Oregon 700 over the weekend. I'm trying to figure out how to send a PQ of claims to the unit. I believe I have assigned my Oregon 700 to my Geocaching.com account, but I'm unclear what to do next. Any specific help?

In Geocaching > Filters > you will see an option to select which Geocache files you want to load and show on the device, based on the account the device is assigned to.

edit: This requires the Oregon 7xx to have an active internet connection 8^)

Edited by Atlas Cached

I just got my Oregon 700 over the weekend. I'm trying to figure out how to send a PQ of claims to the unit. I believe I have assigned my Oregon 700 to my Geocaching.com account, but I'm unclear what to do next. Any specific help?

In Geocaching > Filters > you will see an option to select which Geocache files you want to load and show on the device, based on the account the device is assigned to.

So I'm home now with my Garmin 700 in hand. I choose geocaching, then filter (the funnel looking icon). I see options to choose Type Cache Size, Status, Difficulty and Terrain level. What I don't see is a way to get to my PQ. The only caches I currently can see are the 4 caches closest to my home.

So I'm home now with my Garmin 700 in hand. I choose geocaching, then filter (the funnel looking icon). I see options to choose Type Cache Size, Status, Difficulty and Terrain level. What I don't see is a way to get to my PQ. The only caches I currently can see are the 4 caches closest to my home.

Are you running the latest firmware version?

I don't know how to tell. (sorry for asking such basic questions)

Under Setup, About, it show's i'm software version 3.10 (if this is what you are asking).

3.10 is the current version.

Do you see your geocaching account listed when you select Setup > Geocaching ?

I don't know how to tell. (sorry for asking such basic questions)

Under Setup, About, it show's i'm software version 3.10 (if this is what you are asking).

3.10 is the current version.

Do you see your geocaching account listed when you select Setup > Geocaching ?

Setup, Geocaching, Geocaching Live, (I see my name/membersip). Saw Geocache Lists, picked it, saw my PQ, picked Sync, and now it appears to be downloading the caches.

Hi all,

only after I ordered a 750 I've found this thread with the discovery that PQs aren't really PQs on 750 when downloaded over WiFi. Has anything changed after the software updates or does the WiFi downloaded PQ still only contain headers and require Internet connection to download details (hint, listing few last logs)?

I received My Garmin 750 today, and the first thing I noticed is that after downloading a "PQ" and syncing it, all the puzzles still have their starting coordinats. Also selecting a cache from the map which I know I hace corrected coordinates (it's my own multi) shows the starting coords. Anyone knows what am I doing wrong? Such bug makes all the extra features I paid for useless. And yes, I did the software update.

Edited by TheVoytekBear

I received My Garmin 750 today, and the first thing I noticed is that after downloading a "PQ" and syncing it, all the puzzles still have their starting coordinats. Also selecting a cache from the map which I know I hace corrected coordinates (it's my own multi) shows the starting coords. Anyone knows what am I doing wrong? Such bug makes all the extra features I paid for useless. And yes, I did the software update.

PQ's don't have corrected coordinates if I remember correctly. Can't test it as I already used up all 10 today.

Hello everyone,

I have used the Montana 650 for the last several years and sadly I cracked the screen, resulting in having to purchase a new unit. I decided upon the Oregon 750 and I have had it for about a week now. I have a few questions and I am hoping that people with more experience with this unit will be able to help me out, clarify or point me in the right direction. A few topics (so far):

1. Battery - On the Montana, I could hit the power button and the back light menu would come up and it would also display the percentage of battery life. Also, when I would plug the unit it, the powered off screen would also display the percentage so I would know when it was fully charged. Is there a way to see the percentage of battery life on the Oregon while it is on? When it is charging? I'm finding the battery life on the Oregon to be much shorter than on the Montana. Also, on the Montana I purchased a separate unit to charge the battery packs, so that way I could charge one battery pack in the gps unit, and charge another on a stand alone charger. I haven't been able to find any stand alone charger(s) for purchase. Does anyone else have one? I have purchased a couple of additional battery packs so I can just switch them out as needed and then recharge when I am able. Perhaps I have a faulty battery pack, however it seems like it takes longer to charge the battery than the amount of time that I have in the field to use it. (I am charging an additional battery pack as I type and I will try that one to see if it lasts longer...)

2. Geocaching - Enter Next Stage - I am unable to locate the "Enter Next Stage" option. I notice there is a "Coordinates" option beside the "Log" option. Is that how we are to enter the coords for the next stage for a multi?

3. Auto-logging - Has there been any developments regarding changing the automated found log when Auto Logging is activated?

4. PQ's and Bookmarks - To confirm, you can access and sync PQ's on the Oregon, however you can't access and sync Bookmarks. That has been my (limited) experience so far...

5. Geocaching Live - Is there a way to filter out the caches that I own? I have looked at this feature and I have been trying to play around with it, however I have been unable to figure out how to do this.

Any thoughts, insights and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

1. The Oregon only charges the Garmin battery pack in the unit. The battery pack is merely two AA NiMH batteries with a wrapper around them that triggers the charging button in the battery seat. You'd honestly do just as well to purchase a set of eneloop batteries with a smart charger. But if you already have the garmin battery pack, you can charge it with any standard USB charger. You can plug your USB cable into your cell phone's wall block.

Battery life depends on the battery capacity as well as options you've enabled on your device. Are you using the backlight? Screen on all the time? Always recording tracks? These all decrease battery life. With standard 2000mAh eneloops, I can get around 8-10 hours on a single charge. I haven't tried the Eneloop Pro/XX, but they should last an extra 2-3 hours. The 16 hour battery life listed on Garmin's specs are the max you'll get with all battery saving techniques using disposable lithium batteries.

2. You are correct. Coordinates = next stage. You'd have known this if you had just simply pressed the button and explored the feature.

3 - 5 are specific to the 700 series, which I do not own and can't help you with. (1 & 2 also apply to the 600 series).

Thanks for the reply, Mineral2.

I think I will purchase and try out the eneloop batteries - thanks for the tip.

This is the kit to get. If you have a Costco membership, Costco also sells it for $30.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Eneloop-Rechargeable-Batteries-Charger/dp/B01LWCW3WY/ref=sr_1_6_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1492195911&sr=1-6&keywords=eneloop

Perfect - thank you! I have a membership at Costco, so I will check that out right now.

Hello everyone,

I have used the Montana 650 for the last several years and sadly I cracked the screen, resulting in having to purchase a new unit. I decided upon the Oregon 750 and I have had it for about a week now. I have a few questions and I am hoping that people with more experience with this unit will be able to help me out, clarify or point me in the right direction. A few topics (so far):

1. Battery - On the Montana, I could hit the power button and the back light menu would come up and it would also display the percentage of battery life. Also, when I would plug the unit it, the powered off screen would also display the percentage so I would know when it was fully charged. Is there a way to see the percentage of battery life on the Oregon while it is on? When it is charging? I'm finding the battery life on the Oregon to be much shorter than on the Montana. Also, on the Montana I purchased a separate unit to charge the battery packs, so that way I could charge one battery pack in the gps unit, and charge another on a stand alone charger. I haven't been able to find any stand alone charger(s) for purchase. Does anyone else have one? I have purchased a couple of additional battery packs so I can just switch them out as needed and then recharge when I am able. Perhaps I have a faulty battery pack, however it seems like it takes longer to charge the battery than the amount of time that I have in the field to use it. (I am charging an additional battery pack as I type and I will try that one to see if it lasts longer...)

2. Geocaching - Enter Next Stage - I am unable to locate the "Enter Next Stage" option. I notice there is a "Coordinates" option beside the "Log" option. Is that how we are to enter the coords for the next stage for a multi?

3. Auto-logging - Has there been any developments regarding changing the automated found log when Auto Logging is activated?

4. PQ's and Bookmarks - To confirm, you can access and sync PQ's on the Oregon, however you can't access and sync Bookmarks. That has been my (limited) experience so far...

5. Geocaching Live - Is there a way to filter out the caches that I own? I have looked at this feature and I have been trying to play around with it, however I have been unable to figure out how to do this.

I was able to separate the batteries with a twist, to charge them in a normal battery charger. Now I just use other batteries.

Hello everyone,

Tons of info for the Oregon 6x0/7x0 here, most of your questions will be answered, and more!

1. So many variables.... I get a full 8-10 hours with my Eneloop Pro's.... Also, Try this widget to see Oregon 7x0 battery percentage.

2. Yes.

3. No.

4. Add your bookmarks to a list!

5. Not at this time.

Edited by Atlas Cached

Thanks for the reply, Mineral2.

I think I will purchase and try out the eneloop batteries - thanks for the tip.

This is the kit to get. If you have a Costco membership, Costco also sells it for $30.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Eneloop-Rechargeable-Batteries-Charger/dp/B01LWCW3WY/ref=sr_1_6_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1492195911&sr=1-6&keywords=eneloop

I get about 25% longer run times out of my Eneloop PRO batteries. 8^)

Check the Oregon 6x0 wiki under: Function > Power Sources > Battery Test

YMMV

Edited by Atlas Cached

It is on the menu where you can access the cache description, hint, past logs, log your find, etc.

Yes. it's there (left screen - bottom down left):

Garmin-Oregon-650-geocaching-screens.jpg

You must have running an active GoTo to the cache.

Hans

Thank you for replying so promptly. I am aware of that location and use it to put in a next stage. What I would like to do is just type in coords and navigate to those, without an active go to screen. The 450 did this. Any chance?

Edited by indigodave

It is on the menu where you can access the cache description, hint, past logs, log your find, etc.

Hans

Those images look familiar 8^)

The Oregon 7x0 is nearly identical to the 6x0, with differences that can be seen at GPSrChive.com > Oregon 7x0 > Applications > Geocaching > Next Stage.

Hans

Thank you for replying so promptly. I am aware of that location and use it to put in a next stage. What I would like to do is just type in coords and navigate to those, without an active go to screen. The 450 did this. Any chance?

Sure: Applications > Where To? > Coordinates

Hans

And therein lies myproblem I think. I do not see the WHERE TO icon. grrrr What am I missing ?

Hans

And therein lies myproblem I think. I do not see the WHERE TO icon. grrrr What am I missing ?

BINGO, just found how to add it . Thanks for helping me along my adventure. This was like trying to find a 3.5/5 !!!