Garmin Introduces the Oregon 700 series

When using the live download (for example the nearest 25 caches), has anybody found a way to avoid it downloading caches you own and caches you have already found? Can this be done with the filter? I can't see any option for filtering out owned caches...

Unable to do that at this time.Also, downloaded caches will overwrite any existing geocache data (GPX/GGZ) on your device (only in the SQL database), so those will no longer be available to you. If you clear 'Live' data, they are still not available to you until the GPX/GGZ file is removed, the device rebooted, and the file reloaded, then rebooted again.

Then I would have to disagree with dmjdigital's comment about good filtering. If you can't eliminate those you have found then you probably can't eliminate those on your ignore list which makes it useless as far as I am concerned. I would have to grade the filtering as extremely poor if these two can't be filtered out.

I'll stick to my Montana and GSAK.

To be more clear, you can not filter the data being downloaded, but you can filter your finds out after the download.

If I understand, that means that if you have already found the 25 closest to your position, that filter will simply filter out all that you have just downloaded. In order to be useful, the filter would need to be on the download, not after the fact.

Yes, that is exactly how it seems to behave, which is rather wasteful if you are downloading near home or in an area you have cached in before as you may download nothing of interest (i.e. you only downloaded caches you had already found).

It seems like the Live function is if you are out and about and want to look close by quickly. Sort of like a phone which it has to be attached to to do that. So why use it. I can see wanting the latest in accuracy (although if the accuracy of the placer is not at the same level as the 700 then it won't make any difference, just take you accurately to the inaccurate location). Putting all that aside it is nice to have the latest, greatest device to play with and the price is not really all that bad for what you get.

I agree with one of the responders that there is no need for a sim card. Having to add it as another device on your plan for the minimal the Live does really doesn't make sense.

I've had an Oregon 600 for a while, loading PQ's before venturing out on an adventure. Biggest gripe I have is not being able to view hints from the GPSr, needing to refer to my smart phone which if I'm venturing out of cell range means downloading the PQs to my phone as well. Can one now view hints from the 700 series? Or is there a way to do this on the 600 series that I haven't figured out yet?

Look here.

Wow - no micro-USB. Fail. I'm tired of carrying around a mini USB cable for my Oregon 600. And requiring a phone to see the doppler? Double fail. MyRadar does it on my iPhone better than they ever could. What are they doing?

Funny. Do you want a data connection to magically appear out of nothing? And "they" are doing what every other connected non-phone device on the market does, use your phone's data connection. Huh?

The geocaching Live Feature on the Device is not working since Saturday.

The Killer-Feature because i have bought it.

So this is just another device. (afd)

My Oregon 700 did a firmware update via the app last week and then I noticed the GC Live feature failed. Appears to me the firmware is out of sync with the Groundspeak Live APi. One side or the other will likely fix it soon enough. In the meantime, I discovered that the Oregon 700 supports GGZ so I loaded it that way in the meantime.

2) I had a really strange occurrence today. I had the GPS connected to my phone via Bluetooth. The GPS had my location correct. When I looked at the map on my phone, my phone thought I was in Spain (I live in New York state). When I turned off Bluetooth on my phone, my GPS on my phone had the correct locations. I turned Bluetooth connection back on and it went back to saying I was in Spain. I turned the GPS off and my location was correct again. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Or how I can fix this?

Sherminator18, I noticed this same issue today as well! With Bluetooth on and the Oregon 750t connected to my phone, my iPhone put my GPS location somewhere in Africa. After turning off Bluetooth, my actual location was correct on my phone again. This is a massive issue if you’re using any location-based apps on your phone at the same time your GPS is on (e.g., Strava).

EDIT: FWIW, I submitted these two bugs and a couple of requests to Garmin support. I’m sure that was pointless, but whatevs.

Thanks! Here I was blaming iOS 10 Beta for the location services weirdness (Brazil, then Spain, then North Pacific) and I was all set to send in a Radar to Apple about it. Never even occurred to me that the Oregon 700 was feeding back bad location information to the iPhone.

Thanks! Here I was blaming iOS 10 Beta for the location services weirdness (Brazil, then Spain, then North Pacific) and I was all set to send in a Radar to Apple about it. Never even occurred to me that the Oregon 700 was feeding back bad location information to the iPhone.

FWIW, after upgrading the Oregon 7xx to fw 2.60 and upgrading iOS to 9.3.4, I haven’t noticed this issue again. No idea bout iOS 10 Beta though.

FWIW, after upgrading the Oregon 7xx to fw 2.60 and upgrading iOS to 9.3.4, I haven't noticed this issue again. No idea bout iOS 10 Beta though.

I'm on Oregon 2.60 and this has persisted across the last couple iOS 10 betas for me. Still though, I know they'll correct this one soon enough and in the meantime, I know it's not the beta on the iPhone.

10 is almost GM at this point.

The geocaching Live Feature on the Device is not working since Saturday.

The Killer-Feature because i have bought it.

So this is just another device. (afd)

Thats not nice, I bought my new Oregon 700 at sunday and have been disappointed that Live feature is not working properly. Another thing I noticed is that if you have auto-logging on, it will send anything you write as comment to logs, not field-notes as I though. And there is also very limited lenght for comment texts so you can't write proper logs with gps.

I so glad it's not only me who's unable to use the Live feature. I just hope it comes back.

Last year we bought a 650 as at the time you could use the Basecamp app to send single caches to the GPS, not fantastic but as we travel around a lot it was better than nothing.

This year while visiting the Welsh Mega we saw the 750 with the ability to download whole PQ's, our dreams had come true. It all started well and solved a big problem for us, though it wasn't a cheap solutions.

Then while out and about last weekend we changed our plans and needed to add a new PQ to the device, and it fails, it's not worked since. I contacted Garmin on the 21st it's meant to be a 3 day service, no response, I've resent the email today.

I just hope it gets sorted, and soon.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried logging out of their device (disconnecting the account) and logging back in?

Yes, after a hard reset, no problem.

No luck for me. I removed everything from my account and then re did everything and still no Live Geocaching. Has anyone else resolved this or have an idea about a fix.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried logging out of their device (disconnecting the account) and logging back in?

No luck for me. I removed everything from my account and then re did everything and still no Live Geocaching. Has anyone else resolved this or have an idea about a fix.

I had tried several times over the last week without luck. Tried today and it worked!

Update: It is not working again :(

Edited by JoshShnn

I had tried several times over the last week without luck. Tried today and it worked!

Update: It is not working again :(

Just got my Oregon 750t yesterday and tried everything, but no Live Geocaching, everything else works ):

At least i know it's not just me.

Just bought my 700 last week Saturday and after many tries and contact with Garmin I hit on this post.

New on the forum.

At my side also still nothing new.

But how can we make the feature is working again?

It is the main feature of buying 700 and leaving my 450 behind.

Because of the holidays when I have no pc but only wifi.

The big difference is the interface I have to recognize first.

To other questions:

- I have tried to full reset (factory) settings and delete pairing from Geocaching.

- Tried with new test account

Nothing works.

Edited by De Dijk

Yesterday I ve got my new Oregon 700 and tried to receive geocaches but it does not work over WiFi (also not via Bluetooth). Got the message: "Data request failed, .CHECK connection, and try again"

My data connection is OK, because Weather information will be displayed.

I would like to see how this nice feature works but unfortunately it does not work :mad::blink: !

Yesterday I ve got my new Oregon 700 and tried to receive geocaches but it does not work over WiFi (also not via Bluetooth). Got the message: "Data request failed, .CHECK connection, and try again"

I would like to see how this nice feature works but unfortunately it does not work :mad::blink: !

Greetings Zonnetje! Long time no hear!

Unfortunately, the Live geocaching does not work at this time. Maybe they are fixing some issues and it will be better when it does work again?

I can supply many reasons why you'll enjoy your 700 over the 450. I'm a 450 to 600 convert, and on occasion when I'm forced to use my 450, I really miss the new features that the 600 introduce, most of them carry over to the 700.

1. The user defined extra button. That right there is the number one feature that makes the 600 and 700 superior to all other GPS models. It's so convenient to have 3 custom assignments to that button, plus two to the power button.

2. The brighter screen. I thought the 450's screen was just fine until I used the 600. Even without the backlight turned on it's much more readable in the shade.

3. The glass touch screen. Some users prefer the old pressure sensitive touch screen. I don't. The new screen is much more responsive and the multi touch features, though limited, are useful.

4. Custom shortcuts. Set one up and with the touch of a button (or tap of the screen), accomplish what you could in a series of page and menu options.

The 700 has a new user interface that looks intriguing. And its compatibility with Garmin Connect may be useful. Point is, the new oregons are very capable devices and the live geocaching feature is only one feature that makes it great, but it's not THE defining feature of the GPS. It'll get fixed. Until then, explore what else your new 700 can do.

Greetings Zonnetje! Long time no hear!

Unfortunately, the Live geocaching does not work at this time. Maybe they are fixing some issues and it will be better when it does work again?

Edited by wascalley wabbit

Same frustration here about the Live problem. Spent a lot of money yesterday to buy a 750t, and this was the first thing I tried. It ruined the rest of my day. Instead of playing with the device and have fun, I had to search the Internet for troubleshooting tips and was wondering if I had made a bad purchase... Clearly, I rather go into the outdoors...

Today, I took the 750t for a first geocaching trip (loaded caches through GSAK) and I'm feeling a lot better now. First impression is that it is really a great device, and I know I still need to learn a lot about customizing/optimizing it. So it should only get better.

But please folks, fix this Live issue ASAP, since it is really a HUGE disappointment after opening the box.

Same frustration here about the Live problem. Spent a lot of money yesterday to buy a 750t, and this was the first thing I tried. It ruined the rest of my day. Instead of playing with the device and have fun, I had to search the Internet for troubleshooting tips and was wondering if I had made a bad purchase... Clearly, I rather go into the outdoors...

Today, I took the 750t for a first geocaching trip (loaded caches through GSAK) and I'm feeling a lot better now. First impression is that it is really a great device, and I know I still need to learn a lot about customizing/optimizing it. So it should only get better.

But please folks, fix this Live issue ASAP, since it is really a HUGE disappointment after opening the box.

agg I`ve been messing with live data for 2 days - Got Nothing, Sent a Email to Garmin Support about the issue... Got Nothing.... Glad I know its not me! Major Disappointed, one of the main reasons I upgraded from the 62st...

Edited by EvilTree

Do you find te 700 more accurate than the 450? Thanks!

I can supply many reasons why you'll enjoy your 700 over the 450. I'm a 450 to 600 convert, and on occasion when I'm forced to use my 450, I really miss the new features that the 600 introduce, most of them carry over to the 700.

1. The user defined extra button. That right there is the number one feature that makes the 600 and 700 superior to all other GPS models. It's so convenient to have 3 custom assignments to that button, plus two to the power button.

2. The brighter screen. I thought the 450's screen was just fine until I used the 600. Even without the backlight turned on it's much more readable in the shade.

3. The glass touch screen. Some users prefer the old pressure sensitive touch screen. I don't. The new screen is much more responsive and the multi touch features, though limited, are useful.

4. Custom shortcuts. Set one up and with the touch of a button (or tap of the screen), accomplish what you could in a series of page and menu options.

The 700 has a new user interface that looks intriguing. And its compatibility with Garmin Connect may be useful. Point is, the new oregons are very capable devices and the live geocaching feature is only one feature that makes it great, but it's not THE defining feature of the GPS. It'll get fixed. Until then, explore what else your new 700 can do.

Just wanted to follow up about the iPhone Bluetooth bug, where your phone will show your location as being thousands of miles off if you have your Oregon 7xx on and connected via Bluetooth.

I went round and round with Garmin support on it and they conceded that they are "looking into it" and recommend not connecting the two via Bluetooth for now if you need to use any location-based app on your phone (e.g., Strava, Yelp, Google Maps, Maplets, etc).

agg I`ve been messing with live data for 2 days - Got Nothing, Sent a Email to Garmin Support about the issue... Got Nothing.... Glad I know its not me! Major Disappointed, one of the main reasons I upgraded from the 62st...

Just got a Email from Garmin Support on the Live Geocaching ""Data request failed, Check connection, and try again. " issue:

Here a portion of the email.

"The issue that you are experiencing is actually one that we are awareof. We are currently working to resolve this as quickly as possible,I have added you to the open case so that you will be notified when a fix hasbeen implemented. I apologize, I do not have a time frame on the resolution. The only workaroundat this time is to download geocaches using the computer. I thank you for your patience while we work to correct the issue. I am verysorry for any inconvenience this issue has caused you."

/EvilTree

Edited by EvilTree

Just wanted to follow up about the iPhone Bluetooth bug, where your phone will show your location as being thousands of miles off if you have your Oregon 7xx on and connected via Bluetooth.

I went round and round with Garmin support on it and they conceded that they are "looking into it" and recommend not connecting the two via Bluetooth for now if you need to use any location-based app on your phone (e.g., Strava, Yelp, Google Maps, Maplets, etc).

I don't understand why you'd connect your garmin to provide the location for another app when your phone has a perfectly capable GPS chip inside. I doubt that the bluetooth connection draws any less power than the built-in GPS. Is it just for extra sensor data?

I don't understand why you'd connect your garmin to provide the location for another app when your phone has a perfectly capable GPS chip inside. I doubt that the bluetooth connection draws any less power than the built-in GPS. Is it just for extra sensor data?

Well I also wonder why Apple hasn't put a switch to ignore/disable Bluetooth devices for Location Services as well. Completely understand how GPS via BT got into iOS - back on the earlier iPhone models one would run a Bluetooth GPS (see BadELF) in lieu of running it on the iPhone as those devices were more accurate too.

It's a little annoying that I have to kill Bluetooth on my iPhone if I'm driving/hiking with my Oregon 700 and I want to have GC Live sync or use Garmin Connect features at the same time. Killing GPS via Bluetooth also takes out my Apple Watch and uConnect in the Jeep. Note this bug also means that your photos get geotagged in the wrong place on the iPhone.

Anyhow glad to see that Garmin has at least acknowledged the issue and we'll likely see a fix since this will cause a lot of backlash vs the GC Live downloads.

Just got a Email from Garmin Support on the Live Geocaching ""Data request failed, Check connection, and try again. " issue:

Here a portion of the email.

"The issue that you are experiencing is actually one that we are awareof. We are currently working to resolve this as quickly as possible,I have added you to the open case so that you will be notified when a fix hasbeen implemented. I apologize, I do not have a time frame on the resolution. The only workaroundat this time is to download geocaches using the computer. I thank you for your patience while we work to correct the issue. I am verysorry for any inconvenience this issue has caused you."

/EvilTree

Interesting that i rang Garmin Yesterday and got a response that its not their problem that its a Geocaching.com problem. All i know is that Geocaching & Garmin need to get together to work out how to fix it, as it seems likely that there is some interface/communication problem of software between the two.

Garmin advertises the live Geocaching as a main feature, so should be responsible to make sure it actually works.

Yesterday I received mail:

Yes - you are correct - that GPS is having an issue connecting to our site, and our devs (and Garmins) are on it, trying to remedy the issue.

We hope to have a fix soon!

I wanted to post this and I saw post of GPS-aholics above. I justed tested and yeah it is working. Great! Finally I can try this feature.

Thanks Groundspeak / Garmin.

You don’t connect your Garmin to your phone so that the phone can use the Garmin’s GPS. It doesn’t work that way. The Oregon 7xx lets you connect to your phone via Bluetooth to sync to their Garmin Connect app, get the live weather radar, and allow the (also currently broken) Geocaching Live feature. So anytime (at least for me) that my Garmin has Bluetooth on and is connected to my phone, my phone shows my location as a couple hundred miles off the coast of Spain, even though I’m in Colorado. As soon as I turn off Bluetooth, my phone goes back to showing my proper location. It’s a bug.

It took me a bit of tinkering to realize that it was the Bluetooth connection that was causing this problem for me on my phone. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one and that Garmin is aware of the issue. It's a pain!

Hello, can someone confirm that non-premium users can only live-download 3 GC per day? That wou be a very dissapointing fact for a device at this price.

Non-premium members do not have access to full geocache data in the first place, so the ability to download full geocache data for any number of geocaches is already a bonus. If you do not want to be limited to three a day, purchase a premium membership, which is worth every penny, and a mere fraction of the cost of this device.

Hello, can someone confirm that non-premium users can only live-download 3 GC per day? That wou be a very dissapointing fact for a device at this price.

third party applications will allow you to download thousands of caches daily, with a regular login, no pmo subscription is required.

the only difference is you won't see the full cache description (just a webpage) when reviewing the cache. you can still find it, log it, and move to the next one.

if you want to do this to download lots of caches and then transfer to your standalone, it will work fine, yes. if you want full descriptions, you'll have to have connectivity and the pmo, unless you use a non blessed (that can't be mentioned here without ridicule) application to do it.

Faster USB?

One thing I have noticed when I download lots of caches from GSAK to my 700 series is just how much faster the download goes than my old 600 series. Has anybody else noticed this? To give an indication, I downloaded the same 48,288 caches from GSAK, using the same laptop, same cable etc to both devices (one at a time) and this is how long each took to download using the "GarminExport" macro in GSAK:

Oregon 750 was 18 mins 42 secs

Oregon 650 was 54 mins 35 secs

Which very approximately makes it 3 times faster. I'm assuming this is down to a better USB connector...

Faster USB?

One thing I have noticed when I download lots of caches from GSAK to my 700 series is just how much faster the download goes than my old 600 series. Has anybody else noticed this? To give an indication, I downloaded the same 48,288 caches from GSAK, using the same laptop, same cable etc to both devices (one at a time) and this is how long each took to download using the "GarminExport" macro in GSAK:

Which very approximately makes it 3 times faster. I'm assuming this is down to a better USB connector...

Geez, how many geocaches are you transferring at once to take even 18 minutes to transfer?

Faster USB?

Geez, how many geocaches are you transferring at once to take even 18 minutes to transfer?

Faster USB?

Are you not sending them in GGZ format?

Faster USB?

No, I was using GPX. I'm not a fan of GGZ (especially on the 600 series) as it seems to make my GPS run even slower (at the point where I search for the nearest caches) - I guess it needs to decompress the GGZ data in addition to working out what is nearest? (Or am I doing something wrong?) Note the slow searching is much worse in a cache dense area than a cache scarce area.

For the record, I travel quite a bit, and not always in a very predictable way, so I just throw everything that I might go near at the GPS, which was never possible in the 500 series days.

Faster USB?

No, I was using GPX. I'm not a fan of GGZ (especially on the 600 series) as it seems to make my GPS run even slower (at the point where I search for the nearest caches) - I guess it needs to decompress the GGZ data in addition to working out what is nearest? (Or am I doing something wrong?) Note the slow searching is much worse in a cache dense area than a cache scarce area.

For the record, I travel quite a bit, and not always in a very predictable way, so I just throw everything that I might go near at the GPS, which was never possible in the 500 series days.

What size is the file out of curiosity ?

Faster USB?

What size is the file out of curiosity ?

Windows shows it as 463,468 Kb - so fairly large :)