Garmin Introduces the Oregon 700 series

When you are downloading a live pq, then you have cell service.

So what is the problem then when you want to go to a cache en only then the description/logs are loaded?

It would of course be better if it would load everything in one time.

When you are downloading a live pq, then you have cell service.

So what is the problem then when you want to go to a cache en only then the description/logs are loaded?

It would of course be better if it would load everything in one time.

You may have coverage when downloading when downloading the PQ but once you're "in the field" you might no longer have coverage.

Cell coverage may not be a problem where you (and I) live but it is or can be a problem elsewhere.

Reading this thread I think the WiFi/Bluetooth function on the 7** series is just a way to get an API connection to gc.com but useless for the normal (USB cable) type of datatransfers.

But once the pq is on the gpsr, you can always select GO and go geocaching, the only thing is that you don't have the description and the logs if there is no data/wifi connection.

I went out geocaching yesterday but something went wrong and the gpx was not on the gpsr, lucky to have live geocaching on the gpsr :)

And the smartphone stays in my pocket, the mails and sms are shown and are fully redable on the gpsr.

But once the pq is on the gpsr, you can always select GO and go geocaching, the only thing is that you don't have the description and the logs if there is no data/wifi connection.

A PQ download does contain all of the data.

It looks like what the 7** series downloads is a "live PQ" i.e. 25 caches displayed on the map. Since downloads are via API there might be a choice between "light data" and "full data" as it's called in GSAK. There's a 6000 cache limit /day for full and 10000/day light data.

Disclaimer: Just guessing from what I've read in this thread.

You are confusing the issue with the wrong terms. A PQ (Pocket Query) is a GPX file that contain the full information. The 700 series allows you to download your PQs.

The live view is a different thing and uses the normal API interface. It downloads the basic information when doing a search and does not access the full information until a particular cache is opened. They need to add an option to save the searches for offline use, which would then download the full data.

You are confusing the issue with the wrong terms. A PQ (Pocket Query) is a GPX file that contain the full information. The 700 series allows you to download your PQs.

The live view is a different thing and uses the normal API interface. It downloads the basic information when doing a search and does not access the full information until a particular cache is opened. They need to add an option to save the searches for offline use, which would then download the full data.

I'm well aware of what PQs are and how to use the API, I've doing that for a long time using GSAK and GDAK. ;)

I was using the terms as they were used in other posts (live PQ).

I'm not convinced about how useful connectivity on a 7** is. It looks like it's just like an app and not "real" connectivity like for instance GSAK that downloads PQs from the website or imports caches (6000 or 10000 per day).

Ok, to clear some thing out:

connection needed:

To load 25 caches live "in the field"

To load the conntent of a earlier generated PQ on the geocaching server.

You can use live geocaching on the gpsr to load that content.

At that moment the description and the logs are not on the gpsr.

No connection needed:

When you want to navigate to a cache that is received that way.

There will be no description and nog logs.

Connection needed:

When you want the description an the logs when you select a geocache obtained by one of the two ways.

Note:

when you put a gpx file on the gpsr by cable (a gpx made in gsak or a PQ) then all the info is automatically on the gpsr.

So no connection needed to read the despription or the logs.

Edited by fgrs

connection needed:

No connection needed:

Connection needed:

When you want the description an the logs when you select a geocache obtained by one of the two ways.

Note:

when you put a gpx file on the gpsr by cable (a gpx made in gsak or a PQ) then all the info is automatically on the gpsr.

Thanks for the clarity of how it works. So looks like on geocache live it only gets the header.

What if (or can you) download a pq from the site onto the device can you load all info

Edited by Walts Hunting

connection needed:

No connection needed:

Connection needed:

Note:

Exactly.

Which makes the new 'features' virtually useless. If you want to load some caches in the field where internet connections are difficult to achieve, then work down into a valley or into the wilderness to geocache, you will not have all the information required to do so.

Thus, I will continue to use GSAK etc to pre-load my GPSr, as I always have.

Kinda wishing I had not ordered the 750t now....

Yeah, I think we’re all on the same page now. Without using a USB cable and downloading a traditional GPX/PQ, you can only get "light" or header lists wirelessly onto the Oregon 7xx. It will load your PQ wirelessly, but not the full data set, only the list of geocache names.

On a side note, I discovered what I think is a bug today. I was out on a mountain bike ride and recording my track… I noticed that my track had some "gaps" in it from the auto-pause feature. So I turned off auto-pause and kept riding. A couple miles later, I realized that it had stopped recording my track, even though it was still technically in "record" mode. My current position was linked to the last spot it tracked (when I changed the setting) by the dreaded straight line. The straight line connected to my current position wherever I moved, without recording. The only thing I could do was stop that track and start recording a new one. So I lost a bunch of data in the middle of my ride. Just FYI. Don’t change settings while recording! :)

2) I had a really strange occurrence today. I had the GPS connected to my phone via Bluetooth. The GPS had my location correct. When I looked at the map on my phone, my phone thought I was in Spain (I live in New York state). When I turned off Bluetooth on my phone, my GPS on my phone had the correct locations. I turned Bluetooth connection back on and it went back to saying I was in Spain. I turned the GPS off and my location was correct again. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Or how I can fix this?

Sherminator18, I noticed this same issue today as well! With Bluetooth on and the Oregon 750t connected to my phone, my iPhone put my GPS location somewhere in Africa. After turning off Bluetooth, my actual location was correct on my phone again. This is a massive issue if you’re using any location-based apps on your phone at the same time your GPS is on (e.g., Strava).

EDIT: FWIW, I submitted these two bugs and a couple of requests to Garmin support. I’m sure that was pointless, but whatevs.

Edited by jmvdigital

Well if downloading a PQ does not provide the full information, then, I agree, it is pretty useless as it stands.

I Live in Belgium so I have always connection, so for me it is usefull.

And indeed it would be better if it had the full data when using geocaching live.

But in "emergency" it would work for me.

Yeah, I think we’re all on the same page now. Without using a USB cable and downloading a traditional GPX/PQ, you can only get "light" or header lists wirelessly onto the Oregon 7xx. It will load your PQ wirelessly, but not the full data set, only the list of geocache names.

Correct, and if you then select a geocache on the gpsr it will download the full information when you still have connection.

I received my Oregon 750t yesterday. I have not had a chance to take it Geocaching, that will be this afternoon right after work. This is a major upgrade from my near 10 year old Garmin GPSMap 76CSx. The 750t locks onto satellites in seconds compared to the 2-5 minutes from the 76CSx. I'm going to be very interested to see how accurate the 750t will be under tree cover. I've got pocket queries loaded via GSAK so am not overly worried about the live caching feature. I may try out the live feature in a few weeks when I'll be visiting family in Cleveland just to see how it differs. I'm glad I've read through this thread and saw what the rest of you discovered with live caching.

I'm very satisfied with unit when used for geoaching (mainly).

Get back with you findings please :)

Like yourself, I bought the 750t primarily for geocaching. However I am an avid kayaker and stand up paddleboarder so the unit will be used to track how far my rides are on those. Counting down the minutes until my work day is over so I can get lost in the woods! :D

Here some feedback of my first geocaching experience with my brand new 750 loaded  with fw v2.50 (in terms of possible bugs/issues) :

- After having logged a cache and then selecting the closest cache as next to be done : unit shuts down.

- I had another shutdown while swiping horizontally through the data screens while navigating to a cache.

- After having selected a geocache ("Go") and being on the map screen I experience the following : the different screens that can be triggered (bottom up swipe, left/right horizontal swipe and top down swipe) -> in case I start another application eg. calculator/weather/... and then return to the map I don't have the extra sceens available any more through the swiping actions - am I doing something wrong here? Update : was due to my own faulty usage, that is once returning to the status page after having used another application one has to choose the 'back' button at the bottom left instead of starting the map application.

Wondering whether other 750 owners have similar issues...

Edited by NumeroForumUser

Not on the 700 (as you already know :P )

Trying to reproduce your freezes, I had put a gpx on the gpsr, but:

When a generated gpx (gsak or pq, not live) is put on the sd card (under garmin\gpx) the gpx file is not recognised so there are no caches on the unit.

When I move it to the internal memory then the caches are available.

Can anyone check this?

Ok, so I had the Oregon 750t out this afternoon for ~3 hours and 5 of 7 geocaches that I went looking for. The other two were me not finding the 3rd way-point of a multi and not following the correct trail for a hybrid letterbox. Below are some observations in no specific order.

1. Accuracy under heavy tree cover was very good. Got me within 3 feet of the actual geocache.

2. Unit was quite fast upon loading the next nearest cache.

3. Adding additional way-points for a multi-cache was quick and easy.

4. Being able to filter out puzzle caches on the fly was convenient.

5. No crashes or shutdowns at all during my afternoon

Here some feedback of my first geocaching experience with my brand new 750 loaded  with fw v2.50 (in terms of possible bugs/issues

- After having selected a geocache ("Go") and being on the map screen I experience the following : the different screens that can be triggered (bottom up swipe, left/right horizontal swipe and top down swipe) -> in case I start another application eg. calculator/weather/... and then return to the map I don't have the extra sceens available any more through the swiping actions - am I doing something wrong here?

I noticed this as well. The screen "dots" are there for a second and then disappear. The only screen I can see while caching is the map. I did find that if you tap the top dashboard, it brings up the cache details and logs screen.

[...]

[...]

Can you please explain that in more detail?

My question is: Is there a way to select additional waypoints from the multi (stages, question to answer, etc.) and not only the "Next Stage" from within the Geocache app?

Hans

Edited by HHL

Ok, so I had the Oregon 750t out this afternoon for ~3 hours and 5 of 7 geocaches that I went looking for. The other two were me not finding the 3rd way-point of a multi and not following the correct trail for a hybrid letterbox. Below are some observations in no specific order.

1. Accuracy under heavy tree cover was very good. Got me within 3 feet of the actual geocache.

Just curious, but what previous models are you comparing it to? I'd like to know if any of these stand out from the Oregon 600.

Just curious, but what previous models are you comparing it to? I'd like to know if any of these stand out from the Oregon 600.

I am comparing the Oregon 750t to my Garmin GPSMap 76CSx. The 76CSx is a near 10 year old gps unit.

When using the live download (for example the nearest 25 caches), has anybody found a way to avoid it downloading caches you own and caches you have already found? Can this be done with the filter? I can't see any option for filtering out owned caches...

Unable to do that at this time.Also, downloaded caches will overwrite any existing geocache data (GPX/GGZ) on your device (only in the SQL database), so those will no longer be available to you. If you clear 'Live' data, they are still not available to you until the GPX/GGZ file is removed, the device rebooted, and the file reloaded, then rebooted again.

When using the live download (for example the nearest 25 caches), has anybody found a way to avoid it downloading caches you own and caches you have already found? Can this be done with the filter? I can't see any option for filtering out owned caches...

Unable to do that at this time.Also, downloaded caches will overwrite any existing geocache data (GPX/GGZ) on your device (only in the SQL database), so those will no longer be available to you. If you clear 'Live' data, they are still not available to you until the GPX/GGZ file is removed, the device rebooted, and the file reloaded, then rebooted again.

Then I would have to disagree with dmjdigital's comment about good filtering. If you can't eliminate those you have found then you probably can't eliminate those on your ignore list which makes it useless as far as I am concerned. I would have to grade the filtering as extremely poor if these two can't be filtered out.

I'll stick to my Montana and GSAK.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Thanks for answering that. I hope this is something they will be looking in to with future firmware releases :-) Also overwriting detailed data with very basic data is not the way to go either...

Then I would have to disagree with dmjdigital's comment about good filtering. If you can't eliminate those you have found then you probably can't eliminate those on your ignore list which makes it useless as far as I am concerned. I would have to grade the filtering as extremely poor if these two can't be filtered out.

To be more clear, you can not filter the data being downloaded, but you can filter your finds out after the download.

Thanks for answering that. I hope this is something they will be looking in to with future firmware releases :-) Also overwriting detailed data with very basic data is not the way to go either...

To be more clear, the 'Live' data does not overwrite your previously loaded GPX/GGZ, but does replace the data in the SQL database, which is where the units master index resides. Your GPX/GGZ data is never touched, but the unit will ignore it until such time you reload it as outlined above.

I agree, overwriting detailed information with basic information is not the way to go.

I have sent them multiple suggestions on how to handle this issue.... Time will tell.

But that would leave the ignored caches showing. If I can't figure out ignored caches what good is the interface.

To be more clear, you can not filter the data being downloaded, but you can filter your finds out after the download.

That would still leave the ignored caches. If I can't filter those out (which shouldn't even be returned) then it is of no use to me.

Well, cosmetic features should never be a reason for upgrading. That depends if the new hardware makes your job easier. For example, I see no reason to upgrade from an Oregon 600. But if you're upgrading from an Oregon 450 or earlier, the 700 would be a great choice unless you can get a 600 for a bargain. So far REI hasn't even listed the 700 series in their catalogue.

But if you were to upgrade, or already have, my point was that PQs can be downloaded to the 700 directly without the need to plug into a computer. Convenient? Yes. Deal maker? Not at this time, especially since there's no wireless transfer of other data from basecamp. Since I'm often loading and unloading track and waypoint data in addition to geocaches, then the 700's advantages aren't cost effective for me.

Wow - no micro-USB. Fail. I'm tired of carrying around a mini USB cable for my Oregon 600. And requiring a phone to see the doppler? Double fail. MyRadar does it on my iPhone better than they ever could.

Sure do get tired of people always comparing dedicated GPSr to their phones. Apples and Oranges.

How else, besides through your phones cell tower connection, do you think the Garmin GPSr should get the doppler radar weather information? DO you want Garmin to add a sim slot so you can add another line of service to your existing cell phone plan and access the internet directly from the GPSr? Wouldn't you then just be complaining that you had the expense of starting another line on your cell phone service plan just to access weather information on your GPSr???

What are they doing?

What are you thinking?

If I understand, that means that if you have already found the 25 closest to your position, that filter will simply filter out all that you have just downloaded. In order to be useful, the filter would need to be on the download, not after the fact.

I've had an Oregon 600 for a while, loading PQ's before venturing out on an adventure. Biggest gripe I have is not being able to view hints from the GPSr, needing to refer to my smart phone which if I'm venturing out of cell range means downloading the PQs to my phone as well. Can one now view hints from the 700 series? Or is there a way to do this on the 600 series that I haven't figured out yet?

I've had an Oregon 600 for a while, loading PQ's before venturing out on an adventure. Biggest gripe I have is not being able to view hints from the GPSr, needing to refer to my smart phone which if I'm venturing out of cell range means downloading the PQs to my phone as well. Can one now view hints from the 700 series? Or is there a way to do this on the 600 series that I haven't figured out yet?

You have to be navigating to the cache before you can see the hint.

1. Select the cache from the list of geocaches.
  2. Click "GO" to start navigating to the cache
  3. Return to the main menu
  4. Select "Geocaching" again.

Pressing on the big red question mark will show you the hint.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

If I understand, that means that if you have already found the 25 closest to your position, that filter will simply filter out all that you have just downloaded. In order to be useful, the filter would need to be on the download, not after the fact.

Yes, that is exactly how it seems to behave, which is rather wasteful if you are downloading near home or in an area you have cached in before as you may download nothing of interest (i.e. you only downloaded caches you had already found).

You can see all info on a 600. Choose geocache > Go >> tap the dashboard if set to "geocache" or tap geocaches again from the main screen. You can then read description, logs, hint and if caches are exported from GSAK you also have attributes and images.