Garmin Introduces the Oregon 700 series

Here's the first hands-on video review of the Oregon 700 series. It's in German, unfortunately, but you can see what some of the new features and interface changes look like.

That German fellow was reviewing the unit from within "Activity Mode". "Classic Mode" is available in the System Setup menu and is a very similar UI as the current Oregon 6xx units. I strongly prefer the "Classic Mode" for my uses. Your preference may vary, but the option is nice to have.

Wonder what happens if you resell the unit to another geocacher? Can it be registered twice?

Yes, the unit can be registered twice. Well, once, but it can be re-registered if sold. I tested this out with my wife's account and it works just fine.

Edited by yogazoo

Yes, the unit can be registered twice. Well, once, but it can be re-registered if sold. I tested this out with my wife's account and it works just fine.

Thanks. Just was confused a little bit, I can understand it authenticating to see if you are a premium member but they used the word REGISTER this device. I remember having this problem when I bought an Etrex 20 and tried to register it with Garmin only to say it was already registered to someone else and had to phone them. Which is how I found out it was previously owned but being sold as new.

Thanks. Just was confused a little bit, I can understand it authenticating to see if you are a premium member but they used the word REGISTER this device. I remember having this problem when I bought an Etrex 20 and tried to register it with Garmin only to say it was already registered to someone else and had to phone them. Which is how I found out it was previously owned but being sold as new.

Understandable concern. The Oregon 7xx Geocaching application actually registers to your specific account. You can see your account username on the 7xx. You can even "Unregister" the unit from within the Geocaching application on the device itself.

It would have to have one of the file sharing protocals installed and set up to work properly. Even your phone can't transfer files to your computer directly over wifi without going through an intermediary. Bluetooth does connect directly, and I'm not sure why the bluetooth isn't more developed in these models. But it's not a deal killer. It's not that hard to connect a USB cord to a computer. At least with the 700 series, geocaches can be loaded without the use of a computer at all, except to run PQs ahead of time.

How about Airdroid (for Android phones)?

It would have to have one of the file sharing protocals installed and set up to work properly. Even your phone can't transfer files to your computer directly over wifi without going through an intermediary. Bluetooth does connect directly, and I'm not sure why the bluetooth isn't more developed in these models. But it's not a deal killer. It's not that hard to connect a USB cord to a computer. At least with the 700 series, geocaches can be loaded without the use of a computer at all, except to run PQs ahead of time.

Geocaching, for me, is about the only frequent task where wireless capability would come in handy. When I need to download GPX Waypoint or tracklog files I can go through the enormous "hassle" of plugging in a wire.

Just because Smartphones can do something, doesn't mean it's helpful, or necessary for other devices to do the same. Simply wanting a file to appear on your computer without a wire is great, but I'm sure most of us will live through its absence. My new $1,500 camera can't download photos to my computer wirelessly either. And I couldn't care less.

Edited by yogazoo

Geocaching, for me, is about the only frequent task where wireless capability would come in handy. When I need to download GPX Waypoint or tracklog files I can go through the enormous "hassle" of plugging in a wire.

Just because Smartphones can do something, doesn't mean it's helpful, or necessary for other devices to do the same. Simply wanting a file to appear on your computer without a wire is great, but I'm sure most of us will live through its absence. My new $1,500 camera can't download photos to my computer wirelessly either. And I couldn't care less.

when we got our first remote controlled vcr i thought it was awesome, even after tripping over the cord, fast forwarding through commercials, And rewinding the tapes with minutes to spare before the late fees kicked in.

good thing wireless is here today, i can transfer 1gb of videos and pictures, sync the address book, sync cache logs across four devices, and check my email without touching a cord.

On the other hand, the wifi on my DSLR and other cameras is really handy for downloading pictures to my iPad or iPhone - editing them, uploading them to a caching log, or sending them to family without having to carry a computer. It is much easier than removing the sd card and using other means. When I recently replaced one of my cameras (after dropping it into a lake), it was a "must have" feature for me.

I can transfer caches from my iPad or iPhone to my Oregon 600 as it is - and as you point out, having to use a wire with a small light weight wifi router is not a major problem. But if the 700's wifi features do not change anything that I do already, there is no particular reason to upgrade. I do not need to access the Groundspeak API with the gpsr and load caches through a wifi network since I can do it on the fly already, with cell service or wifi, and transfer the data to my gpsr no matter where I am.

If I drop the 600 in the middle of a lake, the 700's redesigned antenna would be a nice selling point. I am in no hurry for that to happen so I keep the 600 hooked onto my yak. By the time it stops working, the 800 might be out.

Edited by geodarts

On the other hand, the wifi on my DSLR and other cameras is really handy for downloading pictures to my iPad or iPhone - editing them, uploading them to a caching log, or sending them to family without having to carry a computer. It is much easier than removing the sd card and using other means. When I recently replaced one of my cameras (after dropping it into a lake), it was a "must have" feature for me.

I can transfer caches from my iPad or iPhone to my Oregon 600 as it is - and as you point out, having to use a wire with a small light weight wifi router is not a major problem. But if the 700's wifi features do not change anything that I do already, there is no particular reason to upgrade. I do not need to access the Groundspeak API with the gpsr and load caches through a wifi network since I can do it on the fly already, with cell service or wifi, and transfer the data to my gpsr no matter where I am.

If I drop the 600 in the middle of a lake, the 700's redesigned antenna would be a nice selling point. I am in no hurry for that to happen so I keep the 600 hooked onto my yak. By the time it stops working, the 800 might be out.

I hear what you're saying geodarts. But, you're probably among the small percentage of nerdy (said with love) users who know how to transfer caches wirelessly to the 600. For the masses however, the new 7xx makes it easy and seems to be very reliable. I nerd-out over tech stuff as much as anyone and wish for all the limitless bells and whistles on most of my gadgets too. But, with photography as with navigation, if a devices primary functions meet my high standards, I'm happy.

redesigned antenna.... could mean moving it from the right to the left side.

"redesigned antenna for better satellite reception" - Garmin

That could mea the antenna is now on the frontside instead of the back (pointing down). In very difficult conditions my 600 has better accuracy with the back point up.

Guessing that holding the device with the left side facing upwards might also help.

I'll give that a try when I'm out this weekend if I happen to be in a bad reception spot.

I've been out a few days caching with the Oregon 700. I haven't yet experienced any anomalies of overshooting GZ. So far so good on that front.

Tracklog accuracy seems noticeably better than my Oregon 650. I'm hoping to get out this weekend with my arsenal of units and collect data to post some tracklog comparisons. Accuracy in general seems better and more positionally stable than the 650, so the claims of improved accuracy seem, so far anyway, to be anecdotally supported. There are several geodetic control points around the valley. Accuracy testing, both actual and relative to other units / smartphone, will commence this weekend.

Edited by yogazoo

I've been out a few days caching with the Oregon 700. I haven't yet experienced any anomalies of overshooting GZ. So far so good on that front.

Tracklog accuracy seems noticeably better than my Oregon 650. I'm hoping to get out this weekend with my arsenal of units and collect data to post some tracklog comparisons. Accuracy in general seems better and more positionally stable than the 650, so the claims of improved accuracy seem, so far anyway, to be anecdotally supported. There are several geodetic control points around the valley. Accuracy testing, both actual and relative to other units / smartphone, will commence this weekend.

it will be interesting to see if there was anything gained, and how the smartphone used in "gps only" mode compares.

guess we'll have to wait for ifixit to tear one apart to give it if anything is actually changed in the hardware

Not only is the antenna on the top side, it's an updated component. This configuration and component update seem to have made a difference. At least in my observations of performance thus far. I look forward to conducting a real-world data comparison to either confirm, or dispute my observations.

Can anybody please let me know something about the following :

1) Is the GGZ file format still supported as it was with the 6xx units ?

2) I read somewhere it is possible within the filters to use only a specific (GPX) file on the unit. Is this true, can somebody post a screenshot with the filter options ?

Thank you !

Jan

Tracklog accuracy seems noticeably better than my Oregon 650. I'm hoping to get out this weekend with my arsenal of units and collect data to post some tracklog comparisons. . . . Accuracy testing, both actual and relative to other units / smartphone, will commence this weekend.

I'll be very interested in those tests. You may consider a new thread, this one is getting bloated.

Thanks

The O7 connects to your phone or directly to WiFi. There is no way I know that allows you to connect wirelessly to your computer.

The 700 has the ability to connect through Bluetooth, so if your Computer has a Bluetooth connection you can connect through that.

hmm, have you tested this theory ? several other standalone devices list wifi and bluetooth in their specs, but file sharing is not like drag/drop on other devices.

Can anyone make a comparation about battery life between this new unit and Montana 650T with 3 AA NiMh batteries

I really need best battery life for my trips,

Thanks

I'd be glad to but my friend is using my Oregon 650 at the moment. I'll try to perform time tests with various features enabled. It will take a few days.

The 700 has the ability to connect through Bluetooth, so if your Computer has a Bluetooth connection you can connect through that.

Only theoretically. The problem, as with other Garmin BT devices is there is no software on the units to allow it to happen. The BT allows you to pair with a phone. This pairing allows connection to Garmin's Connect App and access to the internet directly via the phone's cell connection.

The O7 connects to your phone or directly to WiFi. There is no way I know that allows you to connect wirelessly to your computer.

I can answer this for you. It can't. There's no way to pair with a computer. There's no way to pair with a phone, except directly through Basecamp Mobile, which is only available on iOS. Bluetooth is a faster protocol than Ant+ so direct transfer of routes and tracks and custom maps from one Garmin to another over bluetooth is faster. But you can still communicate (share data) with the older devices that shared wirelessly via ant+.

There's no way to pair with a phone, except directly through Basecamp Mobile, which is only available on iOS.

I'm pretty sure that is not correct. How else would people be access Geocaching data in the field? My 64S pairs with a phone via Garmin's Connect App. The Basecamp Mobile app no longer exists.

Yes, it says clearly on Garmin's website.

http://newsroom.garmin.com/press-release/featured-releases/introducing-oregon-700-series-handheld-gps-units

With a Wifi connection or through the Garmin Connect Mobile app on a compatible smartphone, all of the new Oregon handhelds will have wireless integration with Geocaching.com for Geocaching Live. Users will be able to wirelessly download cache descriptions, logs and hints, even if they're out in the field. Once a geocache is logged as found, it will be automatically uploaded to the user’s Geocaching.com profile. Premium Geocaching.com members will also be able to sync their geocaching lists directly to their device. Users can even use the LiveTrack feature to broadcast their location to family and friends and let them know they’ll be the first to find a new geocache.

In addition to Active Weather and Geocaching Live, the Oregon 700 series have a variety of new connected features. These are the first GPS handhelds to be compatible with the Garmin Connect IQ platform, which was previously only available for Garmin wearables. With Connect IQ, Oregon 700 series users can customize their device with more data fields, widgets and apps to fit their individual lifestyles3. Users can also pair their handhelds with their compatible smartphone4 for call, text and email notifications right on the device, as well as wireless software downloads and automatic data uploads to the Garmin Connect™ online community.

Edited by Red90

Yes, it says clearly on Garmin's website.

http://newsroom.garmin.com/press-release/featured-releases/introducing-oregon-700-series-handheld-gps-units

With a Wifi connection or through the Garmin Connect Mobile app on a compatible smartphone, all of the new Oregon handhelds will have wireless integration with Geocaching.com for Geocaching Live. Users will be able to wirelessly download cache descriptions, logs and hints, even if they're out in the field. Once a geocache is logged as found, it will be automatically uploaded to the user’s Geocaching.com profile. Premium Geocaching.com members will also be able to sync their geocaching lists directly to their device. Users can even use the LiveTrack feature to broadcast their location to family and friends and let them know they’ll be the first to find a new geocache.

In addition to Active Weather and Geocaching Live, the Oregon 700 series have a variety of new connected features. These are the first GPS handhelds to be compatible with the Garmin Connect IQ platform, which was previously only available for Garmin wearables. With Connect IQ, Oregon 700 series users can customize their device with more data fields, widgets and apps to fit their individual lifestyles3. Users can also pair their handhelds with their compatible smartphone4 for call, text and email notifications right on the device, as well as wireless software downloads and automatic data uploads to the Garmin Connect™ online community.

this is not file sharing, this is tethering for internet access.

unless someone pipes up with experience of sharing a gpx/log/etc file between a tablet/phone and a new model Garmin 7xx series, it sounds like it's only internet tethering.

unless someone pipes up with experience of sharing a gpx/log/etc file between a tablet/phone and a new model Garmin 7xx series, it sounds like it's only internet tethering.

I'm well aware of what it does. I was not responding to you. I was correcting mineral2.

There is no file sharing as has been clearly explained earlier in this thread.

I'm well aware of what it does. I was not responding to you. I was correcting mineral2.

There is no file sharing as has been clearly explained earlier in this thread.

sorry about that, i missed it

I will be visiting Canada in a couple of weeks (from Oz). Can anybody tell me where I might pick one up in Vancouver/Victoria from a reputable dealer?

BTW, price here is AUD600!

thanks

I don't think anyone has stock yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks though. If you want the lowest price, you will need to mail order from GPS Central or CPS City (both in Calgary). Retail store pricing will be a fair bit higher.

.... My 64S pairs with a phone via Garmin's Connect App. The Basecamp Mobile app no longer exists.

What all are you able to do with Garmin Connect? When I first got my 64s, I experimented with Garmin Connect (Android). I could never get the notifications to work on Android. Worked OK in my wife's iPhone. The location tracking feature was pretty nice. I could share my live track and others could view my progress on a web map. There was no option to transfer data to/from phone/device. Has anything besides those two things been added to later versions?

Nope, that is it.... Nothing has changed that I know of. Basecamp Mobile does still work as well as long as you installed it before they removed it from the store. It is all underwhelming and more or less useless. I had hoped when the Etrex touch came out with BT, they would add features. Unfortunately, it looks that with the 700 series release that the plan it to sell new models instead that have the new features. I'm sure a replacement for the 64 will be the next in line. Hopefully they bump up the resolution.

Okay I have a few questions. I have the Oregon 700. Today was the first time I actually used it to find a cache.

1) Is there any way for it to auto upload field notes instead of Found it logs? It was automatically set to auto upload and it submitted a blank Found it log for me when I was back home connected to wifi. I don't really like typing on any GPS device. So is this possible?

2) I had a really strange occurrence today. I had the GPS connected to my phone via Bluetooth. The GPS had my location correct. When I looked at the map on my phone, my phone thought I was in Spain (I live in New York state). When I turned off Bluetooth on my phone, my GPS on my phone had the correct locations. I turned Bluetooth connection back on and it went back to saying I was in Spain. I turned the GPS off and my location was correct again. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Or how I can fix this?

yogazoo… You mentioned earlier in this thread…

I have four PQ's that have been run and transferred wirelessly to my Oregon 700 at the tap of a button on the GPS. All PQ's have 1,000 caches each. And, instead of manually loading an updated PQ every few weeks or months, I can update them all automatically on my Oregon 700 whenever I want providing I have a premium geocaching account.

I have my Geocaching account authorized properly to my Oregon 750t. I have a single PQ running successfully. However, I’m not seeing any way to get the PQ results onto the Oregon wirelessly. The "live" map query refresh is working where it will pull the closest 25 caches.

I also found it important to note that if you do the "live" map query, it will only download the geocache names and basic info, but it does NOT download the geocache descriptions and other detailed info. It only does that on the fly as you click on an individual geocache. Are you finding that as well? This is important to note, because if you do a couple of live queries for areas where you’ll be camping (for example) and you don’t have cell service there… you’re screwed. I don’t see any way to force the Oregon to download all the geocache info up front like is done in a traditional PQ.

yogazoo… You mentioned earlier in this thread…

I have four PQ's that have been run and transferred wirelessly to my Oregon 700 at the tap of a button on the GPS. All PQ's have 1,000 caches each. And, instead of manually loading an updated PQ every few weeks or months, I can update them all automatically on my Oregon 700 whenever I want providing I have a premium geocaching account.

I have my Geocaching account authorized properly to my Oregon 750t. I have a single PQ running successfully. However, I’m not seeing any way to get the PQ results onto the Oregon wirelessly. The "live" map query refresh is working where it will pull the closest 25 caches.

I also found it important to note that if you do the "live" map query, it will only download the geocache names and basic info, but it does NOT download the geocache descriptions and other detailed info. It only does that on the fly as you click on an individual geocache. Are you finding that as well? This is important to note, because if you do a couple of live queries for areas where you’ll be camping (for example) and you don’t have cell service there… you’re screwed. I don’t see any way to force the Oregon to download all the geocache info up front like is done in a traditional PQ.

I figured it out! I found the "Geocache List" menu item buried within the System>Geocaching>Geocaching Live>Geocache Lists menu (Confusingly, not in the Geocaches app in the "app drawer"). Interestingly, the sync failed using only the Bluetooth connection to my phone’s Garmin Connect app. But it did sync properly after turning on wifi.

EDIT: So it appears that syncing the PQ straight to the Oregon 7xx does the same thing as the map-based live query… there does not appear to be any geocache descriptions/logs/hints, only the basic name/d/t. What gives? Am I doing something wrong? If I manually download the PQ GPX file, all of that info is in there properly.

EDIT #2: After deleting all "live geocache" data (every geocache on my device), I confirmed there were no geocaches, then went back to the Geocache List and re-downloaded one of my PQs. Sadly, the list is indeed literally only a list. You must have internet access (through your phone) in order for the Oregon to display a geocache’s detailed info when out in the field. In my opinion, this makes the live geocaching functionality fairly crippled. If you’ll be in an area with no cell service, you’ll need to run and download a standard PQ with a GPX file to get all the info in there. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Edited by jmvdigital