Cache-symbols on map not clickable

sunnyhill_Ahrtal

Since today symbols of caches show up on the map but there is no function at all. Even infoboxes do not appear when moving over it. You only see the symbol, nothing else. No chance to click on it to get information about the cache - no function.

What you describe is a long-running problem with the maps. Sometimes zooming in and back out works; sometimes you just have to wait a while until the information is retrieved.

Hello,

same problem here (Germany). Tried with different browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Internet Explorer). I know that sometimes the map acts like this and tried already zoom in/out, switch between map and satellite and complete reload of the page via ctrl + r. While map-elements like railway/bus stations, company entries and so on are still working, the cache-icons are without any function.

Best regards

fam.mauch

Same problem, but reload does not help. I have restarted the computer and restated Firefox a number of times, but still same problem. Using Win 7 and Firefox.

The non-clickable icon happens now and then and often for a few icon but not the rest, but never as bad as now where nothing works.

Edited by Lilla22

I was going to join the chorus and say it's intermittent and it's always been this way. But no, today it's different. Completely broken, completely dead to interaction with the cache icons. I haven't seen it like this before, and I use that map a lot.

BTW, the switch to Mapbox Streets is deliberate, as mentioned in the Release Notes thread. Maybe not permanent, but experimental.

Same issue for me.

The map has been modified and there is no response to clicks on caches.

F5, zooming, restarting GC, signing out and back in, rebooting computer, nothing helps.

Never met the issue on such a scale in the past.

This is definitely a GC issue.

I used the last of the remedies, wait. Turned GC.com off and went for a glass of water. Just came back it works again !!!

Good luck to all

Edited by Revelatta2B

Same issue here with Chrome, no interaction available with caches on the map at all. Just the open hand symbol, n popups or bubbles clicking any cache icons.

Zooming in/out makes no difference, refreshing/closing/reopening the map doesn't help either. Making it difficult to plan some caching this afternoon.

It doesn't seem to be working any different for me than it ever has. When I hover over a cache icon most of the time the cursor changes to a pointing hand, the cache name box pops up, and I can click on the cache icon to bring up the info box. Every so often it glitches and I'll have to change the zoom level to get it to recognize a particular cache. Same old, same old, I'm afraid. And it's the same where I choose Google maps or any of the Leaflet based ones.

The map icons on the new MapBoxStreets are completely dead...all of them. This is not the usual intermittent problem that happens sometimes, this is completely different. The functions are not working at all. I have reloaded the page, zoomed in and out, etc...not working on my computer or my touch screen tablet. It makes no difference which map I try, all icons are dead. :(

My observation is the pointer is grabbing the map but not giving me a pointer. The cache icons are on the map but I can not read them click them or get any info when hovering over them. I have always used Google maps and I have never ever had this problem. It worked again once but quit again, I was moving across the map to another area and it quit again. I have logged out and back again, I switched from chrome to explorer, nothing seems to make it work again. This is extremely not good, it is not like what I have done in the past. Hope this info helps and hope it gets fixed very soon.

Edited by Imahoot
In any case the old leaflet MapQuest OSM maps will not stay.

Slight correction above.

There are plenty of other maps on the large map (full-page map) under the misleading "Leaflet" banner. It's only MapQuest OSM that has to go, because they're starting to charge for it.

Since cache pages have been using MapQuest OSM, Groundspeak is looking for a replacement.

BTW, this non-clickable issue should have nothing to do with the map being displayed. But I have a hunch Groundspeak made it into a correlation. (Less servers with the new map tiles, meaning not enough oomph, oops.)

But I have a hunch Groundspeak made it into a correlation. (Less servers with the new map tiles, meaning not enough oomph, oops.)

To be clear, Groundspeak isn't serving up the map tiles. They're coming from MapBox or whichever map layer provider you select. I just confirmed this in Firefox by checking the source of the background images, and they look like this:

https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/mapbox/outdoors-v9/tiles/256/14/2569/5665?access_token=...

The site/map has always had trouble with high loads (like every Sunday), so I suspect there's just an unusually high load on the system right now. Maybe there are a bunch of users all using the-app-that-shall-not-be-named at the same time?

BTW, this non-clickable issue should have nothing to do with the map being displayed. But I have a hunch Groundspeak made it into a correlation. (Less servers with the new map tiles, meaning not enough oomph, oops.)

I just wrote that I think it is connected to their testing phase. I noted other instabilities too, all related to map issues.

2 days ago e.g. the new maps were only available at zoom level 1 km or larger, 3 hours later the old maps were back, the next day the new maps again but zooming in was possible etc.

<speculation>

staging.geocaching.com/map could be a single box, whereas the usual www.geocaching.com/map would be a whole farm. Although staging doesn't actually host the tiles, it'd still be the server hosting all the requests for info-fast-please when you hover over icons, when viewing the new-style maps currently hosted on staging ... and staging only, I suspect.

And I'm guessing someone at HQ simply flipped a bit to redirect ALL map requests to the staging server to see what happens. :grin:

</speculation>

There are plenty of other maps on the large map (full-page map) under the misleading "Leaflet" banner. It's only MapQuest OSM that has to go, because they're starting to charge for it.

I used the name Groundspeak uses.

I do not mind that much what is used on the full page map as there are options there. I'm annoyed by the new maps on the cache page as there is no choice there.