Challenge Cache Ideas

In the example of Gosford City, I would hope your reviewer would count that as part of the "Greater Sydney" geocaching community. Having just driven through that area a few weeks ago, I think that answer makes sense.

Thanks for that, I was hoping that would be the case. The challenge I'm considering is to find a specified number of caches with the "takes more than an hour" attribute, as many of the qualifying caches are the type I really enjoy but they do tend to be rather lonely caches and could do with a bit of encouragement. The challenge cache itself would also have that attribute and the location I have in mind would take at least half a day to get there and back. I think this ticks all the boxes in the new requirements, the only thing I'm not sure about is how high to set the bar. My own find count on qualifying caches is 15 but with a bit of effort I could push that up to 20. Six of my own hides have that attribute so it'll be a bit easier for others around here to qualify than it is for me.

I did a search for Mystery type with challenge in the title and sorted by Date Placed. I found a surprising number of challenges are being done. Some are nice new spins on basic ideas. I liked the Electoral College Challenge. You have to find enough states to accumulate 270 electoral votes.

Yep I've got the advanced search bookmarked for Ontario challenges :) So far there are 69 challenge caches published here since the moratorium. A good variety too.

Interesting list from Ontario. Many familiar, but some I haven't seen in my area.

This one Morton Creek Challenge Series: The First 15 Years confused me at first, as many countries have states and provinces. Working back from what the checker is doing, I think this only covers US states and Canadian provinces. With that I only get 14 of 15. But I'd qualify using an Australian state for example.

This one Morton Creek Challenge Series: The First 15 Years confused me at first, as many countries have states and provinces. Working back from what the checker is doing, I think this only covers US states and Canadian provinces. With that I only get 14 of 15. But I'd qualify using an Australian state for example.

Replying to my own post... I guess this is a good example of how requiring a checker helps. Under the old rules, or without a checker, I honestly would have assumed I qualify. Then I would possibly get in a dispute with the CO (about whether an Australian state should qualify). With the checker being the decider, that goes away.

I was looking for a cache-to-cache distance challenge and found at least one. This would seem to suggest my Antipodes challenge would be ok. I qualify the existing checker for the one in Florida and I found 10 folks locally that qualify.

I also qualify for the antipodes challenge but won't be going to Florida any time soon. What's the minimum distance for the cache-to-cache distance challenge you found? I found a cache to the moon challenge that requires a cache distance of more than 225,291 miles. I qualify for that one too (it was published this month) but it's in Texas.

Challenge caches haven't caught on in my area so while I qualify for many challenges which require a lot of travel I'd have to travel a lot more to find the physical caches associated with the challenges.

There are a couple of distance to moon challenges out there. Search.

So there are. And a new one, with a challenge checker!

I often thought of creating one, as that distance to the moon (total cache to cache distance) number is something I watch on my own stats. Currently I've made it to the moon and I'm about half way back. I always thought it would not be allowed (even by the old rules) as it didn't show as an official stat.

Maybe I'll hide one. I don't see one in the UK, at least not searching for keywords "moon" and "challenge".

On 8/2/2016 at 11:45 AM, rragan said:

I took the tour of Geocaching HQ yesterday and in the presentation the presenter asked what their favorite cache type was. Answers were:

- Web cam

- Virtual 2x

- Challenge 2x

- Earth cache

- Gadget cache

Interesting that so many like the discontinued and restricted cache types.

The virtuals are some of my favorites so far, whether I've been to them or not.  Sometimes I just check them out online, especially faraway ones.  Would love to see them brought back for new caches.  One near me (have lived in the area for ages; hadn't been there before) has an old nuclear-era radar dome you can walk through (went to that one); one I drove past on a recent road trip was for someone's front yard - they'd put up a bunch of rocket-themed yard art.  Would never have seen the latter and probably wouldn't have been to the former either without the virtuals.  There's an Earth cache very near my home but, not being big into geology and finding the questions to sound rather boring (textbook-type stuff), I haven't swung by yet.

Between GS nixing these and nixing challenge caches that want you to match words or spell things, it sounds like the goal is just for people trying to get their numbers up or who have the time/money/inclination/energy to travel a whole lot.  It's a shame, as the random oddities (like the virtuals) and the fun spelling/match-a-word challenges are what make the activity more interesting and the challenges more attainable to at least some of those of us who aren't world travelers or backcountry hikers or adrenaline junkies and don't want to be.

Edited by frumiousb
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, frumiousb said:

Between GS nixing these and nixing challenge caches that want you to match words or spell things, it sounds like the goal is just for people trying to get their numbers up or who have the time/money/inclination/energy to travel a whole lot.  It's a shame, as the random oddities (like the virtuals) and the fun spelling/match-a-word challenges are what make the activity more interesting and the challenges more attainable to at least some of those of us who aren't world travelers or backcountry hikers or adrenaline junkies and don't want to be.

I'm not disagreeing (I loved bookkeeping challenge caches) but one argument often forgotten is that those types of 'challenges' can still be presented to geocachers in cache listings - they just can't be required to sign the log. You could still offer rewards like points for a high score list, or prizes for completions and whatnot... but the challenge ALR can't require qualification in order to log it found.

Keep making some wild challenges :) If people want to have fun doing them, they can!  (they just might need a bit of incentive since the smiley can't be used for it any more)

• Upvote 1