2016 International Geocaching Day Souvenir

Does anyone know if there's been any announcements about a souvenir being issue for the 2016 International Geocaching Day? I've searched but can only find references to the possibility, as it has been done for previous International Geocaching Days. I will be hosting an event on that day and would like to include the information in the description. Thanks for your help in advance.

Does anyone know if there's been any announcements about a souvenir being issue for the 2016 International Geocaching Day? I've searched but can only find references to the possibility, as it has been done for previous International Geocaching Days. I will be hosting an event on that day and would like to include the information in the description. Thanks for your help in advance.

Do you receive the weekly newsletter? Do you check on the GS blog?

Those are the two ways to find out about upcoming souvenirs.

Last year's souvenir was announced in the newsletter of 04 August 2015. IGD was on the 15th.

B.

I'm surprised to see "International Geocaching Day 2016" souvenir in the List of Available Souvenirs.

Interesting. It looks like they've redesigned that list and are now adding future souvenirs, even if they haven't been publicly announced yet.

Did you notice that they don't have anything in 2016 for a summer marketing promotion (e.g. Road Trip, 7 Souvenirs of August, etc.)? Considering the fact that they've listed other future, unannounced souvenirs, I have to assume this means there won't be one this year.

I'm surprised to see "International Geocaching Day 2016" souvenir in the List of Available Souvenirs.

Interesting. It looks like they've redesigned that list and are now adding future souvenirs, even if they haven't been publicly announced yet.

Did you notice that they don't have anything in 2016 for a summer marketing promotion (e.g. Road Trip, 7 Souvenirs of August, etc.)? Considering the fact that they've listed other future, unannounced souvenirs, I have to assume this means there won't be one this year.

And there's not one for International EarthCache Day (09 October 2016).

:(

B.

Or it could mean Groundspeak hasn't figured out what this year's promotion will be yet. Or maybe they want it to be a surprise.

Or it could mean Groundspeak hasn't figured out what this year's promotion will be yet. Or maybe they want it to be a surprise.

Well, there is the devil ducky race this summer. But that's not the same as previous summer caching promotions.

P.S. I know it's not comprehensive, and The A-Team maintains a better one.

Unfortunately, the a-team has failed to update the list. I've checked it multiple times and they haven't told us what souvenirs are upcoming. I really want to know I will petition for Geocaching Souvenir Committee to tell EVERYONE upcoming souvenir oppurtunities without have to subscribe to anything. Didn't hear about the Outdoors day until a few days before they really need to keep all of us well informed!

Edited by Pond Bird

P.S. I know it's not comprehensive, and The A-Team maintains a better one.

Unfortunately, the a-team has failed to update the list. I've checked it multiple times and they haven't told us what souvenirs are upcoming. I really want to know I will petition for Geocaching Souvenir Committee to tell EVERYONE upcoming souvenir oppurtunities without have to subscribe to anything. Didn't hear about the Outdoors day until a few days before they really need to keep all of us well informed!

:blink:

If you subscribe to the newsletter, or follow the blog, how much more notification do you need more than anyone else?

I just checked again, and the listed souvenirs are still in italics...ie not announced/official yet. A-Team is probably waiting for "official" status before updating his list. Which is reasonable, responsible and completely expected.

https://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=792

International Geocaching Day 2016

CITO Week - September 2016

GIFF 2016

And there's still no mention of EarthCache Day.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I will petition for Geocaching Souvenir Committee to tell EVERYONE upcoming souvenir oppurtunities without have to subscribe to anything.

How is this possible? Do you want them to personally phone you? They tell EVERYONE by mentioning it in the newsletter.

I hope they do have one, I really enjoyed last year's!

I will petition for Geocaching Souvenir Committee to tell EVERYONE upcoming souvenir oppurtunities without have to subscribe to anything.

I don't think that's a realistic expectation. The information is there for those who want it (i.e. those who have subscribed or read the blog), blanket notification of all users would be excessive and in a lot of cases; spam.

I hope they do have one, I really enjoyed last year's!

I don't think that's a realistic expectation. The information is there for those who want it (i.e. those who have subscribed or read the blog), blanket notification of all users would be excessive and in a lot of cases; spam.

I'm not seeing any updates on the blog/newsletter at all. Are you saying we're not informed as soon as others because people might think they're sending us "Spam"?

I'm not seeing any updates on the blog/newsletter at all. Are you saying we're not informed as soon as others because people might think they're sending us "Spam"?

They're saying that any notification will come on the blog/newsletter because that's how GS communicates with the geocaching community. Sending out a blanket notification of something like a souvenir to those who HAVEN'T subscribed could be considered Spam. After all, those people have chosen not to receive some communications.

They're saying that any notification will come on the blog/newsletter because that's how GS communicates with the geocaching community. Sending out a blanket notification of something like a souvenir to those who HAVEN'T subscribed could be considered Spam. After all, those people have chosen not to receive some communications.

+1 this.

If I wanted to get notifications of upcoming souvenirs or anything else, I would subscribe to receive them.

I do not want that information in my inbox, therefore I have not subscribed. If they sent it to me anyway it would be unsolicited marketing, ergo: spam.

Edit for clarification: I'm all for people being notified about certain changes if they want to be, but such a service should be an opt-in (i.e. by subscription) option and not a blanket send out for all users as you have suggested in your previous post.

Edited by huskydays

I'm not seeing any updates on the blog/newsletter at all.

You're expecting updates waaaaaay too soon, if you want them NOW!!!!

See my post #2 above:

Last year's souvenir was announced in the newsletter of 04 August 2015. IGD was on the 15th.

In other words, the souvenir was announced 11 days prior to its release.

Relax. Take deep breaths. Subscribe to the weekly newsletter. Be patient.

B.

See my post #2 above:

B.

I don't understand why they can't tell everyone what the souvenirs are without thinking they're sending us Spam if they do. I still haven't gotten any information on souvenirs for this month and I'm sure others have no information either. That may be why A-team's list hasn't been updated, if they have been kept out of the loop of the souvenirs for a few days from now.

See my post #2 above:

B.

I don't understand why they can't tell everyone what the souvenirs are without thinking they're sending us Spam if they do. I still haven't gotten any information on souvenirs for this month and I'm sure others have no information either. That may be why A-team's list hasn't been updated, if they have been kept out of the loop of the souvenirs for a few days from now.

If there are going to be souvenirs they will announce them to everyone through the newsletter. What is it you don't understand?

I still haven't gotten any information on souvenirs for this month and I'm sure others have no information either.

Maybe there are no new souvenirs to be released this month. Don't know why there would be any for July.

That may be why A-team's list hasn't been updated, if they have been kept out of the loop of the souvenirs for a few days from now.

I don't think the A-Team has any special information conduit that the rest of us don't have.

Newsletter subscription, follow the blog, facebook...I'm pretty sure A-Team follows the normal information outlets.

B.

I don't understand why they can't tell everyone what the souvenirs are without thinking they're sending us Spam if they do.

Because lots of people don't care, and don't want to receive unsolicited Emails, if they started Emailing everyone about souvenirs that would be SPAM.

They have a good mechanism for issuing updates, all info is in one place - the newsletter and those who are interested can subscribe to receive it. The info is also usually published on their Blog, and anyone interested can go and read it. Those of us who aren't interested can just not bother and we don't get spammed :)

I don't understand why they can't tell everyone what the souvenirs are without thinking they're sending us Spam if they do.

Because lots of people don't care, and don't want to receive unsolicited Emails, if they started Emailing everyone about souvenirs that would be SPAM.

They have a good mechanism for issuing updates, all info is in one place - the newsletter and those who are interested can subscribe to receive it. The info is also usually published on their Blog, and anyone interested can go and read it. Those of us who aren't interested can just not bother and we don't get spammed :)

I haven't been updated at ALL about what souvenirs are coming up this month. Is there somebody that posts the information before its put in the blog/newsletter?

I haven't been updated at ALL about what souvenirs are coming up this month. Is there somebody that posts the information before its put in the blog/newsletter?

Have you read the newsletters and Blog? If there's nothing mentioned in there about coming souvenirs then maybe that's because there aren't any coming out in the near future. Keep following and when there are any due out I'm sure you'll read about them.

As many have already told you, subscribe to the newsletter, read the blog at least weekly and if you do Facebook, check there. Those are the only places Groundspeak announces souvenirs. No cachers or reviewers or bloggers or other non-lackeys get advance information about upcoming activities/features outside those places.

Have you read the newsletters and Blog? If there's nothing mentioned in there about coming souvenirs then maybe that's because there aren't any coming out in the near future. Keep following and when there are any due out I'm sure you'll read about them.

I would consider 2 weeks from now the "near future" so I'd like to know now whats coming up. Btw, An event can't be published if it is submitted less than 2 weeks before the date.

Interestingly, Groundspeak just announced International Geocaching Day 2016 in the latest newsletter, but they didn't mention anything about souvenir.

IMHO, if Groundspeak wants to use souvenirs to motivate more people to cache, an 11-day notice is probably too short. Not everyone caches every weekend, and it's harder to move things in the last minutes than, say, a month before.

But I agree, if it's August 20, I think they still have a plenty of time to announce.

I personally don't care much as I don't get all the souvenirs anyway. I just think that they can still improve something here (e.g., don't add a thing to the help center article before it's officially announced -- they should be in sync, IMO).

I would consider 2 weeks from now the "near future" so I'd like to know now whats coming up. Btw, An event can't be published if it is submitted less than 2 weeks before the date.

Why is that relevant, unless the souvenir is specifically for attending an event?

Maybe there are no souvenirs coming prior to International Geocaching Day (August 20), which was recently announced via the newsletter?

Edited by o0rxkxrox0o

Maybe there are no souvenirs coming prior to International Geocaching Day (August 20), which was recently announced via the newsletter?

IF the souvenir opportunites between now and August 20 are cancelled then they should say "the souvenirs which were going to be offered between now and August 20 will not be available, there WILL be a souvenir for August 20, the International Geocaching 2016 Souvenir."

There are no previously announced souvenirs that have been "canceled" -- so I'm not sure where that idea came from.

In addition to the International Geocaching Day souvenir, as in past years there will be other "summer souvenirs" whose details have not yet been announced. Stay tuned to your email, read the newsletter, surf over to the Blog, follow the forums, check Facebook!

IF the souvenir opportunites between now and August 20 are cancelled then they should say "the souvenirs which were going to be offered between now and August 20 will not be available, there WILL be a souvenir for August 20, the International Geocaching 2016 Souvenir."

Are you on a secret insider email list now? How do you know souvenirs are being cancelled?

Are you on a secret insider email list now? How do you know souvenirs are being cancelled?

I'm not on a secret insider email list, but I know a few who are. I don't know if souvenirs are being cancelled, since they haven't announced anything for before International Geocaching Day.

I'm not on a secret insider email list, but I know a few who are. I don't know if souvenirs are being cancelled, since they haven't announced anything for before International Geocaching Day.

Who, exactly, is on the secret insider list? Did they tell you the souvenirs have been cancelled? Why are you complaining if you have access to the secret insider information?

Who, exactly, is on the secret insider list?

That information is secret. :ph34r:

And if they told you, then they'd have to...well, you know...

There is no secret insider list. He just thinks there is because he doesn't get the Geocaching.com emails and newsletters, etc. So he thinks he is missing out and that other people know in advance.

There is no secret insider list. He just thinks there is because he doesn't get the Geocaching.com emails and newsletters, etc. So he thinks he is missing out and that other people know in advance.

I still fail to see what the issue is. How else are they supposed to communicate things to him? Registered mail? Telegraph? Smoke signals? What is the big problem with just signing up for the emails like everybody else does?

Who, exactly, is on the secret insider list?

That information is secret. :ph34r:

And if they told you, then they'd have to...well, you know...

:laughing:

Are you familiar with humor?

There are no previously announced souvenirs that have been "canceled" -- so I'm not sure where that idea came from.

In addition to the International Geocaching Day souvenir, as in past years there will be other "summer souvenirs" whose details have not yet been announced. Stay tuned to your email, read the newsletter, surf over to the Blog, follow the forums, check Facebook!

I am repeating the answer that seems to have been overlooked. There WILL be an International Geocaching Day souvenir.

Meanwhile, the thread has wandered off on an odd tangent, so I am closing it. When details of the "summer souvenir" are announced using the standard communication channels, it would be best to have a fresh thread.